Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
The n2DS XL definitely holds up to abuse better; the bottom scratches fairly easily but otherwise they seem pretty much impervious to wear. I've still been meaning to swap the accent colours over so I can have a Halloween one (black w/ orange buttons) and a... toothpaste one (white with turquoise accents).

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, it almost seems like it's some kind of laminate rather than paint and once one edge starts to peel the whole thing's gonna go eventually. Mine looks like poo poo, I need to see if AliExpress has bottom plates kicking around.

They definitely do. Replacing the exterior shells is pretty easy, but it's worth buying a set of the little square rubber things that hide the screws on the top half. Technically it's possible to get them off intact and reuse them, but it's super fiddly and new ones are like, less than a buck.

I swapped the battered gunmetal exterior over for an SNES one; cheap, simple mod and makes it look a lot nicer. Also holds up better to scratches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Capcom is running back the sale they did a month or two ago, if anyone missed that. Does the Mega Man Legacy Collection have anything cool enough to entice someone who's played all of those games already?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I lost interest but it seems to be a pretty cool game. Let us know how it ends up.

Finished Severed today, and it was pretty neat! Clocked in at 6 1/2 hours to 100% it, it's not super-challenging but they drip-feed enough new mechanics and plot beats that I felt pretty engaged the whole time. Definitely worth checking out if it goes on sale again, and if you like swiping your touch screen like a maniac.

To anyone who's beaten it- at the end of the game, how do you open the room underneath your house, where there's a pull switch that spawns enemies every time you activate it? The door always closes as soon as the enemies spawn, I've tried it a dozen times and at this point I'm ready to say that it's bugged. Am I missing something?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Ethics_Gradient posted:

The n2DS XL definitely holds up to abuse better; the bottom scratches fairly easily but otherwise they seem pretty much impervious to wear. I've still been meaning to swap the accent colours over so I can have a Halloween one (black w/ orange buttons) and a... toothpaste one (white with turquoise accents).

They definitely do. Replacing the exterior shells is pretty easy, but it's worth buying a set of the little square rubber things that hide the screws on the top half. Technically it's possible to get them off intact and reuse them, but it's super fiddly and new ones are like, less than a buck.

I swapped the battered gunmetal exterior over for an SNES one; cheap, simple mod and makes it look a lot nicer. Also holds up better to scratches.

The top half of my n3dsxl is still perfect, it's just the bottom plate that's falling apart. It's actually the gray 3ds with a red bottom plate that I bought off of Nintendo's store years ago, but of course now I can't remember what I did with the original bottom plate when I replaced it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Capcom is running back the sale they did a month or two ago, if anyone missed that. Does the Mega Man Legacy Collection have anything cool enough to entice someone who's played all of those games already?

Mega Man Collection on 3DS is nothing special.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Mega Man Collection on 3DS is nothing special.

It has pretty bad input lag and one of the games straight up runs like poo poo unless it’s the Japanese version. It’s a bad collection imo.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d say the NES VC versions are better. even if they look a bit dark at least they run and feel fine

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hatty posted:

I’d say the NES VC versions are better. even if they look a bit dark at least they run and feel fine

They definitely are. That collection sucks and has issues even on PC and consoles too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's not even a great collection on other consoles. Digital Eclipse is pretty mediocre out of the companies that make these retro game compilations. They put way more work into compiling the extras rather than quality emulation. There's worse companies out there, but they're a far cry from M2.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/NinWire/status/1520168549695729664?s=20&t=KkyO_8yo-wYJcHMnNbXKxw

If you don’t own it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Why can't it be $19.99 like the eShop version :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

C-Euro posted:

Why can't it be $19.99 like the eShop version :(

It’ll be worth triple that in a year or 2 so still a good deal.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SeANMcBAY posted:

:hmmyes:

Too bad I almost never sell physical games though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

if you're playing it to play it, the fan patch for MM3D alone is worth modding your 3DS for:

https://restoration.zora.re/

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

if you're playing it to play it, the fan patch for MM3D alone is worth modding your 3DS for:

Seconding this. It fixes every stupid change from the N64 while keeping all the good ones along with some more fixes. Makes it the definitive version easily.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

SeANMcBAY posted:

I bought Pokemon Sun after playing Ultra Moon because the Pokemon thread convinced me it has a way better story. Looking at the differences between the original and Ultra versions, I'm less convinced of that but now that I have a sealed copy of the game I'm going to hold onto it and see what happens if I don't end up playing it.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 30, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Finally beat all the stages in Epic Yarn. I’ve warmed up a bit to the game. It’s cute and got some interesting things going for it but it’s too drat easy and I find the “difficulty” rather cheaply inflated.

I’m not going to 100% it though. The minigames aren’t worth it for sure so I’m at like 79% and that’s enough.

I also have Bravely Default. I think I stopped around the 2nd temple. It’s cool and good but I couldn’t get into it. The battle system is nice but I enjoyed Octopath better and job systems are neat but I have no imagination.

Im considering trading them in and picking up something else. Wooly World, DKC Returns or maybe the Luigi’s Mansion games 1 and 2. Suggestions?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Played through Samus Return, which I enjoyed but there was definitely a lot of saggy middle as a consequence of having so many metroids to chase down. I can see the game that is going to become Dread taking shape here, with free aim, counters and tough bosses, but with a lot of rough edges left in.

Probably one of the weaker metroids, but that's still high company.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Im considering trading them in and picking up something else. Wooly World, DKC Returns or maybe the Luigi’s Mansion games 1 and 2. Suggestions?

Wooly World would probably feel very similar to Epic Yarn. DKC Returns is good but not as strong as the sequel. Both Luigi's Mansions are still really fun. The sequel especially has one area that gave me a Resident Evil vibe that I really liked the snowy cabin one.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I realize this is a very good patch and I agree with most of the changes. Something about the overall tone of those patch notes just rubs me the wrong way. It comes off as very smugly superior, and I don't like it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Started Etrian Odyssey IV recently. I've never enjoyed blobbers before but I'm quite taken with this. It feels like a hearty, sturdy sort of a game.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bug Squash posted:

Played through Samus Return, which I enjoyed but there was definitely a lot of saggy middle as a consequence of having so many metroids to chase down. I can see the game that is going to become Dread taking shape here, with free aim, counters and tough bosses, but with a lot of rough edges left in.

Probably one of the weaker metroids, but that's still high company.

It really is quite good and it’s détractions come mainly from being a Gameboy game. Brilliant at the time but a bit long in the tooth these days.

Shiroc posted:

Wooly World would probably feel very similar to Epic Yarn. DKC Returns is good but not as strong as the sequel. Both Luigi's Mansions are still really fun. The sequel especially has one area that gave me a Resident Evil vibe that I really liked the snowy cabin one.

Maybe it is time I finally play LM. I loved Tropical Freeze which is why I’d like to try DKC:R even if it’s not as good. Wooly World is my vain wish that there is a sequel worthy of the SNES game. I’ve done all other Yoshi games and they always disappoint.

How come that one was so good?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m one of the few that prefer’s DKCR to TF. It’s very good.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My real advice would be Yes, All Four if possible. For Donkey Kong Country Returns, I highly recommend the updated difficulty setting. It makes it more like Tropical Freeze's level. Its still hard but the classic mode is total bullshit.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So what’s the biggest memory card I can get without making issues for my 3DS? I’m guessing “a loving lot” if I modify a microSD card to format it to FAT.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My notes from when I recently started shopping for a bigger card:
- up to 32gb is "officially supported"
- higher than 32gb it will need proper formatting (FAT32/32k cluster) with some third-party software
- the 3DS has a limit of 300 icons on the home screen (includes badges, folders don't help?)
- going higher than 128gb is probably overkill

I guess it also depends on which 3DS model you have and what you need to do to physically access the (micro)SD card.
Edit: apparently 2 TB is the limit for a FAT32 partition size, so have fun dropping the cash for a microSD of that size and trying it out! please don't

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 1, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Nah, 128GB should be enough to (probably, 300 sounds like a lot but…) never have to redownload another title.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mierenneuker posted:

Edit: apparently 2 TB is the limit for a FAT32 partition size, so have fun dropping the cash for a microSD of that size and trying it out! please don't
SDXC cards are limited to 2 TB in size for precisely this reason. The SDUC successor specification exists but I haven't seen any SDUC cards yet.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If you use emulators that SD card fills up quickly, I’d recommend 128GB

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think I have 128 gb in mine. Either that or 256 since I don't bother buying cards in any other capacity anymore. No issues so far.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The universally recommended max is 128 for technical reasons I don't remember.

EDIT: 128! gently caress

Mescal fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 1, 2022

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I thought that anything above 64 GB would cause issues on the 3DS. Is that not the case?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Willo567 posted:

I thought that anything above 64 GB would cause issues on the 3DS. Is that not the case?

Correct. Mine has a 256gb in it without any issue for years, and had a 128 for years before that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mine is filled with a ton of poo poo and I’m barely filling up a 32. Cards are way cheaper now though than when I put it in so might as well get something bigger.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've used 128gb cards with zero issues.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
128GB is fine once you format it with the proper cluster size, godmode has a decent formatter built in if you have trouble finding a decent PC one

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hatty posted:

128GB is fine once you format it with the proper cluster size, godmode has a decent formatter built in if you have trouble finding a decent PC one

This. 32gb is the maximum supported one without having to know this stuff.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is there an easy guide to correctly formatting a > 32GB card if I am one of those weirdos who's hasn't modified their 3DS? I'm debating if I want to make the effort to put a bigger card in, I have a 32 GB right now and she's starting to get a little full.

beer gas canister posted:

Started Etrian Odyssey IV recently. I've never enjoyed blobbers before but I'm quite taken with this. It feels like a hearty, sturdy sort of a game.

Was thinking that this would be my next game on my backlog after Severed, which has the same style of first-person dungeon crawling. Thanks for the reminder.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

C-Euro posted:

Is there an easy guide to correctly formatting a > 32GB card if I am one of those weirdos who's hasn't modified their 3DS?

No.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Is there an easy guide to correctly formatting a > 32GB card if I am one of those weirdos who's hasn't modified their 3DS? I'm debating if I want to make the effort to put a bigger card in, I have a 32 GB right now and she's starting to get a little full.

Was thinking that this would be my next game on my backlog after Severed, which has the same style of first-person dungeon crawling. Thanks for the reminder.

I did it, and I don't meddle with the 3DS usually. It seems like something you should be able to do with default Windows formatting software, but for some reason Disk Management arbitrarily disallows you from formatting cards over 32gb to FAT32

As such, you download a piece of software that does it in one click, and there's guides everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

C-Euro posted:

Is there an easy guide to correctly formatting a > 32GB card if I am one of those weirdos who's hasn't modified their 3DS?
You should mod your 3DS anyways.