Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for posting online about my family YouTube channel and how I don't want to be filmed?

Ugh. I see those family channels pop up occasionally when they're tangentially related to the stuff I'm watching (cooking, outdoors, etc) and they always look like the weirdest things ever. They seem like the kids get no concept of just doing fun stuff for themselves because everything has to go into their five weekly video updates or whatever. Some of them have probably been in that environment literally since birth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hughlander posted:

AITA for recording my ex’s father threatening me and having my lawyer send it to my ex?

"That b***** filmed my father threatening her in her home? I better go over to her home and threaten her about it!"

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Brawnfire posted:

"That b***** filmed my father threatening her in her home? I better go over to her home and threaten her about it!"

hey, it's kinda cute. it's like a coming of age tale where the lost young adult doesnt realize what's missing in life until he beats it out of his ex wife.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for giving my aunt back all the Star wars stuff she gifted me

quote:

So my aunt for some reason thinks she decides other people's interests for them. She just gifts them a bunch of stuff from it, even if they like something else. She's done it since I was a kid.
Ex: my mom barely even drinks Coke but she has tons of Coke products. A clock, a shirt, a blanket, a bear, some cups, etc..

Lately she's been getting my 15 year old brother Minecraft stuff. Which he doesn't play.

I don't like star wars, never have. I tried watching a few of the movies and they didn't interest me.

Since I was 11 or 12 (I'm 17 now) my aunt gives me something star wars related for my birthday or Christmas. I litterally have a shelf in my closet I put the stuff on because I won't wear it, and have no use for it but every so often she'll bring it up to my mom so it's nice to have just in case.

We've told her countless times that we appreciate the thought but those aren't things we're interested in. She just brushes it off and says "those are popular" or "everyone likes star wars ". I've tried telling her not to buy me anything but she still does.

Well, yesterday she came over for dinner and my mom said something about going shopping the next day.

Then my aunt started with "well he has a bunch of shirts I've given him over the years that I never see him in so he definitely doesn't need shirts". I just sorta sat there.

Then she looked at me and said "why don't you wear stuff I give you?"

I said "because it's in my room".

She got up and barged into my room, uninvited. Then said "I don't see it". So I opened my closet. She said "you have it hidden in your closet?" I was like "yea, I don't like star wars as I've told you a million times, so I stick it in my closet". She said "you might not like star wars but you should at least use it and appreciate the gift". I just stood there. She said "either start using it or give it back and I'll give it to someone that's not ungrateful".

So I grabbed a box and put it in there and gave it to her.

She said "I can't believe you're being so inconsiderate and hurtful ". And left.

My mom said she can't believe I would do that. She said I should have just put a shirt on or some of the stuff out on a shelf in my room and then put it back when my aunt left.

I'm just sick of my aunt acting like she can force us to like certain things. She asked for it back so I gave it back.

AITA

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for giving my aunt back all the Star wars stuff she gifted me

"How dare you do exactly what I told you to after never I never did what you asked me to?"

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 29, 2022

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

That kid rules

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m more confused by the coke thing.

At least the other stuff is things you can do stuff with

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That 8 year old works more than a lot of executives earning as much or more.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
My mother liked Coke collectibles like a lot. She had a friggin coke stained glass hanging light thing among a lot of other stuff.

E: I don't want to say chandelier because I think of big fancy expensive things, so I don't know what to call it. But it did hang from the ceiling like one.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 29, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Brawnfire posted:

Reminds me of the guy who was so smug about tricking his wife into signing a false confession of adultery. Did he think that would be legally binding? I wish all abusive men were this stupid.

pentyne posted:

The IoT and smartphone generation that grew up under 24/7 actual parental surveillance like "I check the camera and the dishes are still in the sink you are grounded" is going to spark a massive wave of NC young adults like nothing before seen.
The Butlerian Jihad is gonna be a cheugy vibe.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 29, 2022

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

When I did moderation for YouTube (if you can even call it that--I was actually supposed to be a Google Ad Rater, but most of what they actually made me do was check videos for objectionable content and flag them) there were a lot of disturbing videos but the two worst kinds were very different varieties of kids on YouTube. I'll spoiler because they're depressing and I know this isn't really the thread for it, it's just always what I think of when family vloggers come up.

The more obviously disturbing ones were 'mommy vlogger does a video of her child being horribly injured and going to the hospital'. Lots of video of broken bones and wailing children. Significantly more graphic than you would ever expect. Literally incomprehensible that they filmed this, let alone uploaded it and expected it to be monetized.

Then there were these videos where--okay, there was sort of a weird subgenre of videos I never would have known about on my own, made by actual children playing with dolls and filming the dolls. Just making soap operas with their barbies for their friends. Most of these were actually pretty cute although I always flagged them as not being appropriate to put advertising on. There was a palpable difference between videos actually made by kids and videos made by their parents. But sometimes there would be one of these where the kid just spent the whole video yelling at one of their baby dolls for being stupid and always ruining everything. Yelling at the doll for how it messed up, it does this every time, it never learns. Those were the saddest ones and stuck with me the most of anything else I saw.

I would always flag both for disturbing content and child abuse, although I also flagged the first category with gore/violence/medical also. The categories were extremely limited but they did give us a very small space for notes and I would always ask if there was anything YouTube could do to, like... notify an authority. Any authority.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA messing up dinner so my wife stops asking me to cook for her family dinners?

quote:

I enjoy cooking a lot. My family has lived close to us so we'd have a family dinner once a month. My wife's parents and sister moved closer to us, we had a dinner with all of us and they loved my cooking too and asked if I would help cook for their next family dinner. Sure no problem at that point, and we started having a monthly meal with them too. My wife would volunteer me or ask me to cook some dishes for it so we'd all be contributing. Again no problem.

Problem started after each dinner they'd say they loved it but it "needed more seasoning". Okay I know not everything will be a hit and am open to constructive criticism. I'd always ask what it would need more of and not get an answer. So I started playing with my seasonings, adding more, less of others. Always the same thing each time. I got my answer last month when we had dinner with them and due to time constraints, I cooked at her parents house. Her sister and MIL came in and go "This needs more seasoning" as I'm cooking and put literal spoonfulls of black pepper into everything. I told them they could've just told me more pepper or add it to their own dish and MIL goes

"I think its just where you grew up, I know they don't really cook with seasonings here."

Its freaking black pepper. But, our kids and couple friends weren't fond of it because of how overpowering the pepper was. Like you can see it in the food. When we got home I told my wife I wasn't cooking for her family dinners anymore. She and her family could do it, I'm out. She said I was overreacting. Earlier this week was family dinner at her parents' house and she came home the day before and said she told them I'd cook, even bought the ingredients for what she wanted. She said I was being unfair because I still cooked for dinners with my family and I pointed out that my family knows how to add extra pepper, salt, etc to their own plates instead of complain.

I cooked the dishes but didn't add a single drat seasoning or spice to it. Flavor al naturale. Needless to say it did not go over well. My wife has been upset that I ruined dinner but I keep telling her I told her no to cooking and she tried going over me. AITA?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nothing is more hilarious than two opposing groups of white people being catty about their flavorless food. i really never understood the salt/pepper to taste thing anyway, like just cook the food right the first time.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Black pepper?? You have anything more medium like ketchup

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I dunno, with how it was described that the mother in law added spoonfuls of pepper it sounds like a family of chain smokers.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I dunno, with how it was described that the mother in law added spoonfuls of pepper it sounds like a family of chain smokers.

Or COVID deniers

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as a chain smoker i really don't have a dulled sense of taste unless I'm actively smoking a cigarette that second.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Peppercorns own. Ground black pepper is okay.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not giving up a house I inherited

quote:

I (f 29) was raised in a Christian household. With that came gender roles that were ingrained in me at a young age.

My granddad however hated that my parents taught us this way and as I got older I did too. Because of this I became very close with my grandparents instead of my own parents.

I also have an older brother that my parents labeled “ the second king of the house”.

For more info( important) my grandparents lived in a beautiful house that had no neighbors, many trees, and a garden. They payed off the house after years and was very special to them. My granddad also had bad problems with his back and a condition that would get worse until he couldn’t go on anymore. After my grandmother passed he got worse and ended up needing at home care.

He didn’t want a stranger in his home so that wasn’t an option ( I think it was due to my grandmother passing). My parents preached that it was punishment for all his sins so they wouldn’t take care of him and were planning on putting him in a home.

I decided to stay with him since it would just be easier, my job can be worked effectively at home and he’d get care from someone who isn’t a total stranger. In the time I took care of him we filled the home with the love and laughter my grandmother brought to it.

As my granddad got worse not a single call. Not from my mom, or dad, or my brother. We were joking about it once and he said “ maybe I should just give you missy( the houses name lol) instead of your dad, he’s just gonna give it to your brother anyway” he laughed after he said that so I assumed he was joking.

Fast forward, the worst happened. I was the one who found him. Had to make the call. All of it. As much as I was pushed away from my parents I didn’t want them to find out the news from a random person.

The funeral was the first time I ever truly connected with my parents in years. We hugged and cried together and we were all vulnerable. But then it came time for the will.

Now it wasn’t some telenovela with all the dramatics but it was intense. The house that was supposed to be my dad’s became mine as well as many other things that my dad planned on giving to my brother. I was accused of manipulating my granddad into giving it to me and my brother was just yelling.

A week after my brother came to the house in tears. He was begging me to give him the house since his was too small for his wife and baby. He argued that because it’s just me and my husband and we don’t want kids I don’t need it. I told him to leave and felt horrible. I feel like an rear end in a top hat and so does my family. He’s right I don’t need the house, my job pays me good money and I could easily just live somewhere else. On the other hand though my granddad wouldn’t want him OR my dad to have it. I am at a loss here. AITA?

Grow a loving spine

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I don't understand these "I'm totally in the right" posts

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

gently caress your punk rear end family keep the house and celebrate the fact that you had an awesome grandpa

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Italian Americans are the only “white” people with good food to make up for being the most annoying type of white people.

Us Irish Americans tried to be as awful but even the alcoholism, racism, bad food, and Boston wasn’t enough to quite beat them out.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Larry Parrish posted:

nothing is more hilarious than two opposing groups of white people being catty about their flavorless food. i really never understood the salt/pepper to taste thing anyway, like just cook the food right the first time.

If you aren’t putting garlic and onion powder in it and you aren’t a Buddhist monk or a cat don’t talk to me

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

If you aren’t putting garlic and onion powder in it and you aren’t a Buddhist monk or a cat don’t talk to me

im Mexican so food just tastes wrong if it doesn't have those or chili pepper or some paprika in there. preferably all four.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mx. posted:

AITA for not giving up a house I inherited

Grow a loving spine

American Protestants are basically Calvinists so maybe trad brother should been among the blessed elect before having too many kids?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DaysBefore posted:

Very cool to learn there's a genuine cultural backing to that, that's super interesting

Still loving nuts but I was raised Catholic so I can't judge

yea coming from a Jewish background with many similar kinda concepts I actually think that's pretty interesting.

Probably still not something you should randomly spring on your white partner though, especially if it's meant to be part of the marriage process and all.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA messing up dinner so my wife stops asking me to cook for her family dinners?

I wasn't sure at first if the OP really wasn't adding enough seasonings, but it just sounds like the in-laws are the type of people who can't give a compliment without making sure to put a dig in there too. Or the chainsmoking thing, given that they can't identify what seasonings are lacking and they apparently just randomly dump in multiple tablespoons of black pepper at a time.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Italian Americans are the only “white” people with good food to make up for being the most annoying type of white people.

Us Irish Americans tried to be as awful but even the alcoholism, racism, bad food, and Boston wasn’t enough to quite beat them out.

What about when you are both?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have never done healthcare which means I have to consult my late professor who has a master in hospitals desing

:ghost:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

You have to be an alcoholic Catholic priest but you probably know a good lasagna recipie

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

What about when you are both?

Drink some beer, eat some pasta, fist fight a potato. Living the dream.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m more confused by the coke thing.

At least the other stuff is things you can do stuff with

nunsexmonkrock posted:

My mother liked Coke collectibles like a lot. She had a friggin coke stained glass hanging light thing among a lot of other stuff.

E: I don't want to say chandelier because I think of big fancy expensive things, so I don't know what to call it. But it did hang from the ceiling like one.

Was it one of these things, like from 70s pizzerias?

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I don't understand these "I'm totally in the right" posts

Redditors like to fish for karma.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I start sweating onion and garlic before I even decide what I'm making.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Larry Parrish posted:

as a chain smoker i really don't have a dulled sense of taste unless I'm actively smoking a cigarette that second.

When I switched over to vaping I found I could taste salt a lot more but that’s about it

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

That looks like it. But my mom's been gone for a while, and my memory could be tricking me.

E: But maybe not because, she got it sometime in the late 80s - late 90s.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 30, 2022

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Employee is terrified of balloons

quote:

We are in an open plan office with 5 teams of 10-14 each, and with the World Cup we have been allowed to decorate. However, one of my direct reports has a phobia of balloons, and one of the other teams has put balloons up as part of their decorations. These balloons are over 15 meters away from my report’s desk and are hidden from her view from her desk by pillars in the centre of the floor, but as soon as she walked in at 8 am last Thursday she saw them. She approached the manager of the other team and requested they be removed, he refused. When I got in at 9, she told me she would work on another floor for today until the issue was resolved. (Work from home is not possible as she is required to log into a phone system to accept calls from our clients.) Her husband (who is at manager grade in another part of this office, while she is a caseworker) has approached the regional manager (3 grades above me) and told him that if they are not removed then she will be going off sick. They have not been removed. She has today (Tuesday) gone off sick. A second team has now put up balloons at the desk of my manager, who wants to make a case for them staying up on the basis of office morale.

Several of my other reports are now talking about the situation and saying that she’s being silly and she should face up to her fears, including one who wants us to have our own balloons, and others are making jokes about popping them near her. I keep telling them they need to be more compassionate about this coworker, reminding them that a phobia is a serious thing and that everybody has their own quirks, but I still keep hearing this talk around me. I’m just lost because nobody seems to be taking this seriously. I am a manager in the UK so I’m not looking for any legal or procedural advice’ I just want some advice on how to handle this difficult situation.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

According to the Indians in the thread, this is a rural way of getting around horoscopes that say somebody's first husband/wife will die. The person with the bad horoscope marries the tree, the tree is chopped down, prophecy handled. They also say it's not something you should spring on somebody; it's part of serious wedding negotiations.

So it’s really a matter for tree estate law.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

So it’s really a matter for tree estate law.

Should they get leaf insurance?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Invisible Clergy posted:

Should they get leaf insurance?

:mods:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

Black pepper family just a bunch of Observers, no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Employee is terrified of balloons

you dont have to be in a physical office to log into a phone system if you set up a not poo poo one