Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Beatles music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm sure anyone living in a place that sends out oil rebates happily takes the money

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

hawowanlawow posted:

NGL I didn't read any other posts in this argument, but

westerns, chivalric tales

Okay, what aspect do you like? The only western I've ever read was Blood Meridian whose thesis seemed to be "gently caress everything and everyone in the old West".

Manager Hoyden posted:

Beatles music

But the internal bits of beatles music isn't communicating anything objectionable?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't think people should go out and beat up criminals but superhero stories are a good time.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

But the internal bits of beatles music isn't communicating anything objectionable?

Well okay if the author themself is not an issue, then how about the entirety of all narrative works

You probably had to read a lot about murder and abuse even in your assigned reading when you were a kid

edit: I'm gonna have a good time with a murder simulator when I get home and I'm conveying this to you on an electronic device filled with horrifyingly obtained elements and built by pseudoslaves. You will respond with the same

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

More about themes that sort of thing?

I mean the theme of things like "good people are rewarded in stories" or "not everyone dying horribly" or "the fascists are right" that kind of thing.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

I mean the theme of things like "good people are rewarded in stories" or "not everyone dying horribly" or "the fascists are right" that kind of thing.

I don't know what to tell you friend

There are entire genres dedicated to monstrous acts and a lot of the works are extremely entertaining

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, anything with a king probably qualifies. I love a good yarn about Good Kings and reclaiming rightful thrones and whatnot, but the whole concept of hereditary monarchy is a no-go for me in reality.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

Well what is something you like that you fundamentally disagree with the premise of?

I like Ghost Hunters but don’t believe in ghosts. Does that count?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, anything with a king probably qualifies. I love a good yarn about Good Kings and reclaiming rightful thrones and whatnot, but the whole concept of hereditary monarchy is a no-go for me in reality.

But the themes in that are usually things that you would like to emulate (justice, kindness, etc.) and not so much some aspects. But those are still political aspects that can be analysed and looked over. That was the idea I have been trying to communicate. I don't think we just like things out of nowhere. Almost everything has a reason behind it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think the greatest contribution gen z will have provided the human race is popularizing mid-action or mid-reaction video cuts

Can't get enough of them

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Well what is something you like that you fundamentally disagree with the premise of?

Any Absurdist or Existential philosophy, but I find Camus and Kirkegaard very interesting works to read and think about.

Any Religion aside from Christianity
For specific Examples My Dinner with Andre Is entirely about two people discussing their views of the world, and I don't agree with either of them and to go back to Malle again Murmur of the Heart is a good film, but the way it portrays the incest between the Main Character and his Mother is not good, and the way it depicts him growing up and his relations is just nothing I can relate to, but I'm sure it hit some people pretty hard.

All of Truffauts films have a tragic interpretation of love, at best it's a fleeting experience, at worst it's obsessive, destructive, and unobtainable. Not my thoughts but I love his films enough to be watching all of them, reading his biography, his collection of film reviews, interpretations of his work, and his inspirations.

Herman Hesse's philosophical outlook seems to be an overtly mystical and esoteric version of the secret where every god is a mask of another and your desires will come to fruition by force of will. Demonstrated masterfully by Ms.Grande with the lyrics "I want it, I got it" from her seminal hit Seven Rings. I think that's bullshit.

Film Noir is one of my favorite Genres of film, but the overly cynical and nihilistic outlook expressed in them doesn't reflect my thinking.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm a fan of Star Trek The Next Generation even though I believe that humanity will never leave the solar system.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It will!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hell, a human being going past the Kuiper belt seems pretty unrealistic

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's wrong that Britain also has a theater called The Apollo. So you'll see a youtube video called Live At The Apollo and it turns out to be the whitest man you've ever seen making jokes about food items you've never heard of

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Any Absurdist or Existential philosophy, but I find Camus and Kirkegaard very interesting works to read and think about.

Any Religion aside from Christianity
For specific Examples My Dinner with Andre Is entirely about two people discussing their views of the world, and I don't agree with either of them and to go back to Malle again Murmur of the Heart is a good film, but the way it portrays the incest between the Main Character and his Mother is not good, and the way it depicts him growing up and his relations is just nothing I can relate to, but I'm sure it hit some people pretty hard.

All of Truffauts films have a tragic interpretation of love, at best it's a fleeting experience, at worst it's obsessive, destructive, and unobtainable. Not my thoughts but I love his films enough to be watching all of them, reading his biography, his collection of film reviews, interpretations of his work, and his inspirations.

Herman Hesse's philosophical outlook seems to be an overtly mystical and esoteric version of the secret where every god is a mask of another and your desires will come to fruition by force of will. Demonstrated masterfully by Ms.Grande with the lyrics "I want it, I got it" from her seminal hit Seven Rings. I think that's bullshit.

Film Noir is one of my favorite Genres of film, but the overly cynical and nihilistic outlook expressed in them doesn't reflect my thinking.

What is it that you disagree with them an still find enjoyable? Let's take a tack from the opposite direction. G.K Chesterton's work "Orthodoxy" is an extremely aggravating and bloviating little book, whose chief thesis appears to be "things are the way they are for a reason" which is obvious nonsense. I disagree with it and read it in order to find a great deal of points to refute about it. There is nothing useful in there. However we can still learn from it I simply did not enjoy it.

You may disagree with the overarching thesis of different faiths but your own faith, as it exists, still posits a belief in faith that other religions share. There are still aspects that you agree with about them, it's just that they are incorrect on some particulars.

But what is the thesis of Malle or Andre, is there something in them that you actively dislike, or do not like about them?

I can't comment on Herman Hesse at all I'm afraid.

What do you like about Film Noir then, if not the cynicism or characters? Why do you like something that stands against what you believe.

Bear in mind, I am not saying that you can't. I am just interested.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Gripweed posted:

It's wrong that Britain also has a theater called The Apollo. So you'll see a youtube video called Live At The Apollo and it turns out to be the whitest man you've ever seen making jokes about food items you've never heard of

One of these theatres is older and was named The Apollo first. I'll let you figure out on your own which and why I'm writing this.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Gonna guess that several theatres are named after the Greek god of music.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Phosphine posted:

One of these theatres is older and was named The Apollo first. I'll let you figure out on your own which and why I'm writing this.

I don't see why the relative ages of the theaters matters. That seems like a nonsequitor.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Phosphine posted:

Yeah but once it turned out that the other one was better they should have done the gracious thing and stepped out of the way

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

I think stories where good people's good deeds go unrewarded are valid and useful because the universe doesn't give a poo poo about our welfare or our moral sentiments and part of actually being a good person in reality is having to deal with that and do the good thing anyway.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Maybe bad things happen to good people not because everything is chaos, but rather God is real, and he hates us.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The worst people get the most. The trick is to be juuuuust terrible enough to live comfortably and happily.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

What is it that you disagree with them an still find enjoyable? Let's take a tack from the opposite direction. G.K Chesterton's work "Orthodoxy" is an extremely aggravating and bloviating little book, whose chief thesis appears to be "things are the way they are for a reason" which is obvious nonsense. I disagree with it and read it in order to find a great deal of points to refute about it. There is nothing useful in there. However we can still learn from it I simply did not enjoy it.

But did you dislike it because you were going into it looking to refute points instead of just considering the work. I haven't read, but if I was going into something with such a view I wouldn't be surprised that I found it lacking.

Josef bugman posted:

But what is the thesis of Malle or Andre, is there something in them that you actively dislike, or do not like about them?
The movie is just a conversation with Andre and Wally Shawn about the meaning of life. Andre thinks the world is full of phoniness and we need to go to Germany, strip naked, and dance around in forests to find something "Real". Wally tries to take pleasure in the simple things in life, and finds meaning in his lack of striving. Even though I disagree with them, it's still interesting to see people talk about what they believe.

Josef bugman posted:

What do you like about Film Noir then, if not the cynicism or characters? Why do you like something that stands against what you believe.
I like the characters, but that doesn't mean I agree with them. The appeal from classic noir comes from the great shot composition, interesting twisty plots, and most importantly the razor sharp dialogue. Watch some of the back and forths between Bogart and Bacall in The Big Sleep, it's better than 99% of the movies dialogue nowadays.

Josef bugman posted:

Why do you like something that stands against what you believe.

The real question is why wouldn't I? Actively, the quest for ideological purity does nothing to make me happier or more fulfilled. Passively, I've can easily put myself in anothers shoes so I can empathize with the how and why of their actions without actually holding them myself. The opinion you have seems to be pretty unique, it's cousins are the sort of purity of thought practiced by religious fanatics, or the self criticism of Maoists. It's pointless self flagellation.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

I Watch some of the back and forths between Bogart and Bacall in The Big Sleep, it's better than 99% of the movies dialogue nowadays.

My kind-of PHUO is that more movies should be written like stage plays. Theatricality is nice when it’s in moderation

quote:

Actively, the quest for ideological purity does nothing to make me happier or more fulfilled.

Man… I felt this deep in my core. I’ve been thinking all day about how we need to extend compassion and grace to each other rather than be at each other’s throats all the time, but I know how hard it can be to even do that, let alone convince another person of that point of view. When we’re at our worst and most miserable, it’s so, so easy to point at some person who has their own struggles and say “well at least I’m a better person than that sack of poo poo”

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

thetoughestbean posted:

My kind-of PHUO is that more movies should be written like stage plays. Theatricality is nice when it’s in moderation”

No idea if it's unpopular, but I wish Expressionism in cinema had persisted beyond Germany and the 1920-30's.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

No idea if it's unpopular, but I wish Expressionism in cinema had persisted beyond Germany and the 1920-30's.

Perhaps I'm misusing the term but I think a work like Eyes without a Face could be considered expressionist. The real death kneel for it seems to be the advent of color. You just can't pull off the contrast of light and dark in the same way without the assumption of the black white contrast.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Perhaps I'm misusing the term but I think a work like Eyes without a Face could be considered expressionist. The real death kneel for it seems to be the advent of color. You just can't pull off the contrast of light and dark in the same way without the assumption of the black white contrast.

Its not The Cabinet of Dr Caligari but there's elements there. Even Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? could fall under the banner too.

Yeah, contrast in b&w photography and contrast in colour photography are two different beasts. I love heavy contrast b&w, but fat chance getting to make a big movie like that these days.

(I recommend everyone to watch Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? - its fascinatingly sitting right on the cusp of the old style and new style of cinematic narratives and techniques.)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

Its not The Cabinet of Dr Caligari but there's elements there. Even Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? could fall under the banner too.

Yeah, contrast in b&w photography and contrast in colour photography are two different beasts. I love heavy contrast b&w, but fat chance getting to make a big movie like that these days.

(I recommend everyone to watch Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? - its fascinatingly sitting right on the cusp of the old style and new style of cinematic narratives and techniques.)

I think you AUS but any US peeps checking the thread. Fathom is showing Baby Jane for it's 60th anniversary. June 12 and 15. I've been putting it off til then, I'd love to see more classics in theatre but I don't live in an area where that's possible.

One thing I think is interesting is how the styles of these other genres are subsumed into the mainstream. Almodovar amd even Wes Anederson seem to be trying to replicate the impact in color. Even Spielberg borrows from it in films like Shindlers list. But even so I think it lacks the same impact that it had. I watched Bergman's Persona recently and I just don't think that movie connects in color. The contrast and synthesis between Alma and Elisabet, between black and white. With the ever intrusive grey just doesn't ring true in a colored world.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PHUO: Runaway is the greatest work of art of the 21st century. It's not my favorite song by the artist, or even on the album. But as a work it is absolutely impeccable. Ye turns the negativity from the VMA's and all the pain and anxiety he faces into an incredible anthem. It shows the dichotomy between the man Ye wants/thinks he wants to be. And the man the Media wants him to be. Push's verse is perfect, in terms of lyrics and it's meaning. Showing the truth, how utterly disgusting and base the media and Hollywood is despite it's constant prods towards Ye to be more humble. It's an absolute work of art, worthy of any gallery of worth.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

is this expressionism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzplodCcz7U

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No, it might have pretensions of being such. But the cuts are too quick, the facial Dennison's too lacking , and the depth of gradient not expressed as it is on film. The most important part of expressionism on film is to see the actor expressing their facial features highlighted by the black/white dichotomy of colorless film. The Gilmore clip totally lacks this in exchange of cheap quick cuts between actors. It's very TV in how it totally misunderstands the language of film it attempts to emulate.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

But did you dislike it because you were going into it looking to refute points instead of just considering the work. I haven't read, but if I was going into something with such a view I wouldn't be surprised that I found it lacking.

I didn't know a thing about it beforehand, other than it was an apologetic. It's central thesis is one I objected to having read it. Same with the Meditations. I don't think it's fair or right for extremely powerful people to write things about how centred and correct they need to be whilst committing war crimes and ruling over an empire built, almost literally, on the back of slave labour.

It's like with C.S. Lewis' apologetics, I want to be convinced if I can by their content and, finding them specious, I did not.

Gaius Marius posted:

The movie is just a conversation with Andre and Wally Shawn about the meaning of life. Andre thinks the world is full of phoniness and we need to go to Germany, strip naked, and dance around in forests to find something "Real". Wally tries to take pleasure in the simple things in life, and finds meaning in his lack of striving. Even though I disagree with them, it's still interesting to see people talk about what they believe.

It is interesting, though I'd probably side more with Wally than with Andre.

Gaius Marius posted:

I like the characters, but that doesn't mean I agree with them. The appeal from classic noir comes from the great shot composition, interesting twisty plots, and most importantly the razor sharp dialogue. Watch some of the back and forths between Bogart and Bacall in The Big Sleep, it's better than 99% of the movies dialogue nowadays.

So it's closer to painting, but why the dialogue? If the words are pretty but are saying things you ultimately disagree with, are they any better or worse than bad words trying their best to communicate stuff? Also I do like Bogart's acting from what I've seen of it, and I like the ideal of how "place" is invoked in the films, but I can't say that the dialogue is always better, just different.

Gaius Marius posted:

The real question is why wouldn't I? Actively, the quest for ideological purity does nothing to make me happier or more fulfilled. Passively, I've can easily put myself in anothers shoes so I can empathize with the how and why of their actions without actually holding them myself. The opinion you have seems to be pretty unique, it's cousins are the sort of purity of thought practiced by religious fanatics, or the self criticism of Maoists. It's pointless self flagellation.

I don't seek ideological purity, in general I seek out things I disagree with to hopefully be persuaded by them. But I don't think putting myself in the PoV of someone who hates me or wishes ill to people I love is all that helpful. I do not wish them harm, but I think disagreeing with a worldview predicated on suffering for thee but not for me is always going to be okay.

I read stuff by people whose world view I disagree with, or whose points I don't like, but that means I have to look and interrogate why I might like that stuff. Or imagine how things can be done in a different/better way.

thetoughestbean posted:

Man… I felt this deep in my core. I’ve been thinking all day about how we need to extend compassion and grace to each other rather than be at each other’s throats all the time, but I know how hard it can be to even do that, let alone convince another person of that point of view. When we’re at our worst and most miserable, it’s so, so easy to point at some person who has their own struggles and say “well at least I’m a better person than that sack of poo poo”

Being right is important, especially as being wrong can have real consequences to a lot of people and none to people with power. I cannot extend full compassion towards people who have power and wield it to harm the vulnerable. Compassion in general is extended upward by too many and downward by too few, so I'd prefer to extend it more down the line.

I think compassion extended to everyone is a good motto, but being able to go "no" is important too. From past experience.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Aramek posted:

Maybe bad things happen to good people not because everything is chaos, but rather God is real, and he hates us.

There are multiple gods, gods are everywhere and you can show your devotion to them with your actions. Just pick one or make one yourself, and then you got rules and motivations to help you with how to live life.

*this is not a joke

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's a drink called rokkihuora (rock* whore) that's pretty good, and they need to change the name because I'm not gonna order that.

*) As in the genre of music

e: It's 2 cl rhubarb liqueur
2 cl vodka
and cranberry juice

in case someone wants to taste.

e: oh and a lime wedge or two and some ice

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

doverhog posted:

There are multiple gods, gods are everywhere and you can show your devotion to them with your actions. Just pick one or make one yourself, and then you got rules and motivations to help you with how to live life.

*this is not a joke

Praise the Sun

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My absolute favorite part of my film minor was whenever a class would focus on 20s and 30s cinema. There is so much good poo poo there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Rick posted:

My absolute favorite part of my film minor was whenever a class would focus on 20s and 30s cinema. There is so much good poo poo there.

I feel like no-one really knowing what cinema should be, meant that people could just go nuts.

M and Häxan are easily two of my favorite films from that period.

I'd recommend Häxan (you'll probably find the whole thing on YouTube) because its about witchcraft and has some great practical effects and make-up. The director cameos as the Devil, in make-up that is about as close as you'll get to something from a 15th Century Flemish painting.

A PHUO is that there is great potential for a modern silent film, with a live band or orchestra accompanying it, but it would only be a niche thing.