Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
he stole his magic pocket from felix the cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

doraemon is the old covenant, we worship garfield now. it's blue v gold.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

I haven't seen or read much of One Piece, but it's set in an Age of Sail, and people ITT are complaining because there's monarchies and the Straw Hats haven't independently invented communism?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reading about pirates and Toussaint L'ouverture and frowning at the lack of hammers & sickles

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Luffy is an anarchist. So is Blackbeard but in a rude way.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I haven't seen or read much of One Piece, but it's set in an Age of Sail, and people ITT are complaining because there's monarchies and the Straw Hats haven't independently invented communism?

It’s a fictional world and you can do whatever you want with that. I don’t have a stake in this discussion since I haven’t read or watched One Piece, I just wanted to say you can do whatever you want in fiction and that includes an Age of Sail setting where everyone is anarcho-syndicalists or something

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kit Walker posted:

It’s a fictional world and you can do whatever you want with that. I don’t have a stake in this discussion since I haven’t read or watched One Piece, I just wanted to say you can do whatever you want in fiction and that includes an Age of Sail setting where everyone is anarcho-syndicalists or something

Karl Marx developed his theories by being a nerd who was mad at other nerds, and he researched Das Kapital by sitting in a library all day.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Casey Finnigan posted:

while we're talking about cultural differences

someone on japanese yahoo answers says that Doraemon is not popular in the west because it conflicts with a Christian worldview

Doraemon is apparently an all-powerful God. However, whenever Nobita asks Doraemon for help, the assistance that Doraemon provides always backfires. Is Doraemon, perhaps, a Satanic or beguiling figure?

Also, how can Nobita learn self-reliance if he's constantly clinging to Doraemon? God helps those who help themselves, after all.

Thoughts?

I just don't like the character design. A cat with no ears? No thanks!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Reading about pirates and Toussaint L'ouverture and frowning at the lack of hammers & sickles

TBF, the Revolutionary Army come across as pretty anarcho-communist in their limited screentime. They're definitely a faction who would wave the One Piece equivalent of the hammer and sickle.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Casey Finnigan posted:

while we're talking about cultural differences

someone on japanese yahoo answers says that Doraemon is not popular in the west because it conflicts with a Christian worldview

Doraemon is apparently an all-powerful God. However, whenever Nobita asks Doraemon for help, the assistance that Doraemon provides always backfires. Is Doraemon, perhaps, a Satanic or beguiling figure?

Also, how can Nobita learn self-reliance if he's constantly clinging to Doraemon? God helps those who help themselves, after all.

Thoughts?

Americans love wish fulfillment backfire stuff like Madoka.

We also have our own sayings regarding the careful wording of wishes such as the Monkey's Paw or the Wish spell in DnD or etc.

Doraemon's art style probably doesn't appeal to adults, so they don't bother showing it to kids. And it's not like US kids are walking around with a doraemon backpack if they can get Chikorita, so word of mouth doesn't spread as much. And you'd probably have to :filez: to watch any episodes in English.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I mean, sure, if you have cable or the disney channel then you could see Doraemon. But crunchyroll has anime for free, so anything they show off will be much easier to stream.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
hmm. are you sure it's not because of religious incompatibility? with our christian lifestyle and worldview?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
if jesus had a devil fruit what wou

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
jesus had the devil fruit which let him walk on water which is kinda cheating if you think about it

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

triple post, but some aspects of this show are similar to classic TV shows I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched.

A powerful being uses their abilities to fit in society and support someone who is important to them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Casey Finnigan posted:

jesus had the devil fruit which let him walk on water which is kinda cheating if you think about it

A Devil Fruit that let you control an objects buoyancy could be pretty OP

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Oda fully won me over when Luffy punched the gently caress out of that celestial dragon at the slave auction. I mean One Piece was pretty good up until that point but everything after that punch was sublime top tier Battle Shonen.

edit: i love usopp

Popy has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Apr 30, 2022

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Luffy is an anarchist. So is Blackbeard but in a rude way.

It's been a long time since I watched One Piece but Luffy is no where near as useless as an Anarchist

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

KomradeX posted:

It's been a long time since I watched One Piece but Luffy is no where near as useless as an Anarchist

yeah, hes an egotist like that other classic manga character Max Stirner

e: it just occurred to me that "Max Stirner" actually does sound like a One Piece character, or at least an attack

Doc Hawkins has issued a correction as of 01:10 on Apr 30, 2022

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

also now i have caught up to the current manga and, wow, joyboy, i am TOTALLY down for this kokopelli looney toons son of the mask poo poo, just, rub it all over me

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i didn't get very far into One Piece but the conqueror's haki stuff sounds lame.

oh yeah you're super strong cause, uh, your bloodline is kingly and your dad was influential

or i guess it's not even that. it's just lame in concept to have an abritrary super power based off nothing concrete, that only some people have

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 01:28 on Apr 30, 2022

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yeah sort of like how some people have guns and some people dont

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Casey Finnigan posted:

i didn't get very far into One Piece but the conqueror's haki stuff sounds lame.

oh yeah you're super strong cause, uh, your bloodline is kingly and your dad was influential

or i guess it's not even that. it's just lame in concept to have an abritrary super power based off nothing concrete, that only some people have

It doesn't really bug me as much as these tropes usually do, largely because as far as we know it really isn't a hereditary thing. We know you can't train to unlock it, you either awaken it on your own or you don't and only about 1 in a million are capable of doing so, but tbh I always got the sense that it was less a thing that you were born with specifically and more that just, you have to be a really specific kind of person with a particular mindset and personality to do it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Beyond one piece being 8 million episodes long, I could just never get into it, something about the art style just throws me off of it

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I dont think the anime is worth watching. the manga is great

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

even if you completely skip all the filler episodes there has to be at least 100 hours of characters talking while running. scenes that in the anime last 5 minutes but you can read in 5 seconds in the manga

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Good soup! posted:

Beyond one piece being 8 million episodes long, I could just never get into it, something about the art style just throws me off of it

One of the fun parts of One Piece is seeing the art style evolve as Oda develops the ideal artistic representation of women

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
AR-15 Enthusiast; Proudly Uncircumcised

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Gripweed posted:

One of the fun parts of One Piece is seeing the art style evolve as Oda develops the ideal artistic representation of women

Not that I'm an expert on One Piece, was the evolution having the women's breasts get slightly bigger until they appear as 90% tits and legs?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Oda is right

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Good soup! posted:

the boobs are not big and round enough

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's pretty remarkable how oda's ability to draw women is inversely proportional to his ability to draw anything else.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
boobs are pretty loving great you guys

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Casey Finnigan posted:

actually in light of recent story events its more likely someone ate the jesus fruit that turned them into jesus christ

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
so is Cells At Work social fascist or what exactly?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

id be facist if the macrophage asked me to

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's pretty remarkable how oda's ability to draw women is inversely proportional to his ability to draw anything else.

i admit that there was a case in wano when i thought "okay goddamit these two women characters look EXACTLY the same, they have the same eyes and everything!!" and it turned out they were one person

but this has also happened to me in real life so i let other people do the criticizing

HerraS posted:

actually in light of recent story events its more likely someone ate the jesus fruit that turned them into jesus christ

there's literally already a guy who ate the buddha fruit, he's been around for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Dr. Killjoy posted:

so is Cells At Work social fascist or what exactly?

This is my favorite dragonball spinoff