Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Decently presented but abstract markers are generally my preference, the more something tries to look "immersive" the more likely it is to have some aspect which I find offputting somehow. You can't really go wrong with cubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Chill la Chill posted:

The components should complement and enhance the aesthetic of the game. Terra mystics made of wood while Gaia project is made of plastic, for example. And yeah NT and guns of Gettysburg being wooden blocks on a map is just the best.

Background music is fine but it should just be for vibing. One day I’ll get a real gamer RGB table though.

For 18xx you should have a train whistle that you blow whenever a company gets dumped. And a giant red button you slap at the top of an operating round that says “pay privates”

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fellis posted:

For 18xx you should have a train whistle that you blow whenever a company gets dumped. And a giant red button you slap at the top of an operating round that says “pay privates”

I like to say "everyone grab your privates" and get a sensible chuckle from all involved.

(I do wish I had some sort of giant auto-reminder that could alert everyone to do so because good Lord I forget so so often.)

Also, I may or may not be unironically commissioning a nice wooden auction gavel for use in every game I own that features some sort of auction system....

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Need to implement that grab your privates line. I do have a wooden whistle here somewhere but lol covid.

I’ve actually upgraded my Inis set to use wooden cubes and discs for towns. Looks much better and fits the aesthetic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FulsomFrank posted:

I was actually going on to my friend about how I have grown to intensely dislike the plastic ships in Twilight Imperium and would gladly play with wooden cubes and various geometric shapes of varying sizes. Some games it works fine (the Matagot DOAM trilogy), others not so much.

You would like my copy of Inis.

Much better this way than crappy bendy spears and warped citadels that don’t sit flat.

Gamecrafter has a bunch of different sized discs and cubes in a variety of colors for about 10 cents each average. \/

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 29, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

War of the Ring 2e has good looking but soft plastic miniatures for all the armies. I found a TTS module that replaces all of them with wooden disks of varying size and color and I discover that I like that look a LOT more. Wonder where I can get something like that made for my physical copy...

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

You would like my copy of Inis.

Much better this way than crappy bendy spears and warped citadels that don’t sit flat.

Gamecrafter has a bunch of different sized discs and cubes in a variety of colors for about 10 cents each average. \/

Oooh, off to make a purchase.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Infinitum posted:

I'm getting Ark Nova + Great Western Trail 2nd Edition to the table this weekend (And probably Paint the Roses which arrived today)

My group has a pretty good radar on finding stand out games, and I can usually tell when I need to schedule multiple sessions of a game back to back. Unfathomable + Nemesis had multiple plays, TI had enough interest we're going straight to 8 players for the next session.

I've got a strong feeling about Ark Nova, and will post my thoughts afterwards.

Is this going to be a learning game of Great Western Trail? I'm curious because I just finished one on Board Game Arena - I ended up really enjoying the game, but I'm seriously debating if I would ever be able to get it to the table in person. The amount of interlocking systems combined with different levels of patience for introductory rules explanations might not fly with my group.

This is actually one of the things I've really come to enjoy about BGA - rules enforcement, UI guidance for options, and hover tooltips makes it easier to accommodate people who prefer to just dive in without a full rules rundown and trust they will pick up the details later. I'm usually the type who reads through the rulebook until I've worked out a full teaching routine for the game, so it's been liberating to just dive in and start pulling levers.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mighty Eris posted:

This is actually one of the things I've really come to enjoy about BGA - rules enforcement, UI guidance for options, and hover tooltips makes it easier to accommodate people who prefer to just dive in without a full rules rundown and trust they will pick up the details later. I'm usually the type who reads through the rulebook until I've worked out a full teaching routine for the game, so it's been liberating to just dive in and start pulling levers.

I do this live all the time but you have to manage expectations. With a group that trusts the teacher to let them know of important rules when they need to know them it works great.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

enigmahfc posted:

I will gladly take wooden cubes and punched cardboard over $150 worth of minis and models and 'upgrades' that are jus there to take money. However, I would also 100% go all out and get the coaster/card holders/tables/ bowls etc. that can be used for pretty much any game, like the ones posted earlier. those are keen.

My wife likes having background music, so we usually have random movie soundtracks or 80's music or something playing quietly in the back ground. I usually rarely even notice it until we are about 5 drinks deep, but by then the games are getting much 'looser' anyway

miniatures must be nicely painted or the game is unplayable

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
it's me, the sucker who couldn't resist the Sexy Jeff Goldblum mini

I figure it can be the first player token for all other games when not playing Unmatched

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
My hot take is that this version of War of the Ring looks better than the normal one.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

nnot a hot take. that's pretty obviously better

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

yeah that's very nice

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Doctor Spaceman posted:

My hot take is that this version of War of the Ring looks better than the normal one.

I know nothing about the game but know that this looks great. Doesn't this game have a ton of different factions and units that all look identical too so this is almost easier to understand possibly?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

I know nothing about the game but know that this looks great. Doesn't this game have a ton of different factions and units that all look identical too so this is almost easier to understand possibly?

No almost about it. That's much, much easier to parse.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Has any board game done paper money better than millennium blades

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FulsomFrank posted:

This is how it looks out of the box. All those groups of red pieces need to be differentiated in game, it's a mess.

This is a blinged out copy with the warbands painted by grouping to be easier to parse. Better, but still a bunch of clutter.

so yeah, that wood set is not only way more playable, but suits the map and aesthetic of the game a lot better.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

so yeah, that wood set is not only way more playable, but suits the map and aesthetic of the game a lot better.

gimme some fuckin cubes lmao

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
many people have been saying this

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Deluxified versions of gamefound/kickstarter games will switch to getting back to cubes and smaller boxes for a premium price.

Deluxified+ will be wrymwood gaming crossover where you select what type of wood you want your cubes. Which will then be painted and thus can't tell what endangered wood it was,but you'll personally know.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FirstAidKite posted:

Has any board game done paper money better than millennium blades

While I love throwing literal stacks of cash around, the problem I have with MB is that it ends up with a completely unmanageable pile of cash on the store that starts spilling into stuff that no one wants to manage since it's real time.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Morpheus posted:

While I love throwing literal stacks of cash around, the problem I have with MB is that it ends up with a completely unmanageable pile of cash on the store that starts spilling into stuff that no one wants to manage since it's real time.

But has anyone done it better

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mayveena posted:

Let's assume that this was supposed to be a beginner/entry level Warhammer game and neither had played before. I'm going to guess that the person with the beginner level army will play a lot better than the person who downloaded an army and has no clue how to actually win with it. Top level 'stuff' generally requires top level play and many times you can really shoot yourself in the foot trying to start with the 'best' army or whatever.

With Warhammer that's not so much the case though. It's like bringing your A-game for ludo. I had a stupid list for 40k because I liked the models, played a few games and never lost because I got lucky. It literally didn't matter that my opponent knew what countered what or whatever, if you just roll sixes you win.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

silvergoose posted:

No almost about it. That's much, much easier to parse.

The only potential issue is colorblind accessibility. But I'm with the gooncensus that I'd usually rather have wooden cubes or pieces compared to a plastic mini 90% of the time.

Of course, it's also important to understand that lots of people (neeeeeeerds) like minis, hence things like dollhouses, tin soldiers and HG Wells and his Little Wars.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Mighty Eris posted:

I guess I'm the opposite. The idea of not knowing the rules and trusting others, even an infallible machine, to do all that bookkeeping without me being able to follow exactly what is going on. It's kind of weirdly anxiety inducing.

I wasn't always like this. But now I feel odd, and have to repress it, if I'm not the one managing a game. Wish I didn't have that feeling.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Admiralty Flag posted:

Quick question -- in the past I've seen some people who have "octopus-like" rubber bands for their game boxes -- they look like three overlapping rubber band loops connected at a central disk. Has anyone seen these/know what they're called? I use large rubber bands when storing games around the house but when traveling with games I'm thinking something more secure than double-banding them might be in order, but I don't know what they're called or where to find them. Any help would be appreciated!

Magnetic North posted:

There are likely many brands, and these are sold out, but BGG normally carries something similar to what you describe:

https://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/geekon-box-bands

This post was a while ago, but: BGG says the Board Game Bands are back in stock. Store page: https://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/geekon-box-bands. This post was about a week ago, but it didn't click in my brain until this morning. They appear to still be in stock at time of writing.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Funso Banjo posted:

I guess I'm the opposite. The idea of not knowing the rules and trusting others, even an infallible machine, to do all that bookkeeping without me being able to follow exactly what is going on. It's kind of weirdly anxiety inducing.

I wasn't always like this. But now I feel odd, and have to repress it, if I'm not the one managing a game. Wish I didn't have that feeling.

I really like trying to deduce the rules of a game via BGA but it all depends on the implementation. I learnt Terra Mystica via BGA without ever reading the rules but I'm pretty sure we knew them all now. We tried to play Heckin Hounds and it was absolutely baffling, I think by the end we knew what we were trying to do but not how to do it. It's like a fun extra layer to the game when none of us know it. I only read the rules for CoBS to understand the market refill and see what and absolute faff it would be trying to play in real life, that actually turned us off trying to get a copy.

You could absolutely learn GWT or BTS via BGA without reading too many rules. Tigris and Euphrates probably not that one was a bit much, the impl was not good.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Ha this is how my group plays random titles on 18xx.games. Till you get halfway through a game and realise you can lay double track, or towns are free stops.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Man, Black is running away with this game of Ticket to Ride: Middle Earth.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

SiKboy posted:

Ticket to Riders of Rohan

SiKboy posted:

Ticket to Strider

SiKboy posted:

Wicket to Ride
That last one might be something else, I think.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

The only potential issue is colorblind accessibility.

my guess is that a colorblind person would not replace their tokens with cubes they couldn't differentiate between

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

And their friends? Without thinking of it?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

silvergoose posted:

And their friends? Without thinking of it?

25% of my gaming group is colorblind and we've made zero accomodations and made it through everything we've played, with i think clarifications once or twice in the entire time we've been gaming. like is there a reason to tut tut the thread for ableism when people are talking about their aesthetic preference for components?

do you have a wheelchair ramp at your house or do you just figure it out when you need to?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jarofpiss fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 30, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

On a completely unrelated note: Does anyone know a short and sweet anti-ableism slogan I could add to the OP, in a similar vein to Black Lives Matter and Trans Rights are Human Rights? Personally, I am woefully underinformed on ableism (and should really do something about that), so I am unaware of any off the top of my head.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Funso Banjo posted:

Honestly, that makes sense to me. One of the things I really like about board games as a physical object is not just the tangible aspects, but also the transparency of mechanics - things happen because you make them happen, both literally and figuratively. Losing that makes it something different - some of my usual play group simply don’t participate in virtual game nights because it doesn’t work for them.

It is definitely affected by the different implementations though - while there are some guidelines, the fact that BGA in particular has a volunteer development force means that the amount of pause in game logic for interaction, visual cues, and descriptions of underlying game logic can vary wildly.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'll do a proper write up in the morning when I'm not 300 sheets to the wind, but I can 100% see why Ark Nova is on so many peoples GOTY lists already and I was 100% correct in sleeving it because this is going into heavy heavy rotation.

Pictured: My winning Zoo, cause Australia rules

Also pictured: Literally the most confusing scoring card in the game. Do you think you have it correct? Protip: Wrong. You gain 1 Conservation bonus for every 2 bonus tiles that ARE NOT CONNECTED to your zoo. Literally the most poorly worded card in the game, with the most confusing example WITH DIAGRAM. Seriously what a terrible card, I guarantee your players will get this wrong on an initial playthrough

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Paint the Roses + Good Cop Bad Cop should also be high on your pull lists.

GCBC should 100% be played half blind when you can't even remember your alignment, what an absolute piss-up of a game. 10/10 would recommend the NRB playthrough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4drwJKC-9Aw

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

The only potential issue is colorblind accessibility. But I'm with the gooncensus that I'd usually rather have wooden cubes or pieces compared to a plastic mini 90% of the time.
Maybe make one side hexagonal or cylinders? Or use shape for troop type and color for team, like COIN.

Edit: Actually COIN pieces might be an easy substitute, not sure what the order of battle is for WotR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In WotR all the faction pieces function identically in battle (between factions), but what faction they belong to matters for recruitment and war readiness. So you need to know what’s in your mixed army to determine whether or or not you can initiate a battle with all of them or know at a glance if you have any pieces of a certain faction left to recruit.