Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Sounds good! I don't mind "merely eh" decks, I play Super Quantum, Mekk Knight, and Generaider ATM and those are real fun. I do very much like summoning on my opponent's turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ursarctic is several steps down in competence from any of those you listed. Its a deck that is pain to play and madness to try and make work.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ursarctic is several steps down in competence from any of those you listed. Its a deck that is pain to play and madness to try and make work.

agreed lol
as someone who plays it i do so mostly for fun (and have plenty of other decks for when i want to be "serious"), the games I get an OTK out of nowhere are legitimately surprising to me, but sometimes its fun to play decks that are weirdly inconsistent and sometimes just explode on the runway :v:

Zodack posted:

Sounds good!

3x Mikpolar (tutors from deck)
3x Miktanus (gets bear from GY to hand)
3x Mikbilis (special bear from hand)
3x Megapolar (spell/trap removal)
3x Megatanus (flip monster facedown)
3x Megabilis (GY removal)
3x Righty Driver (for Polari)
2x Lefty Driver (for Polari)
2x Danger! Thunderbird! (Set card removal and can be discarded to summon a bear)
2x Ash Blossom (ash blossom)
1x Ghost Belle (I don't have 3 copies of ash blossom)

1x Raigeki
1x Monster Reborn
3x Ursarctic Departure (lets you get specific bears if you get a bad hand and can be used to summon a bear)
3x Big Dipper (lets you use bears in the GY to special summon bears, also has occasionally won me the game on the spot bc they ignored it lets you steal)
1x Mystical Space Typhoon (I should probably craft a Feather Duster or Lightning Storm already)
2x Ursarctic Slider (lets you temp Reborn a bear for a Synchro or to get their etb off)
1x Ursarctic Quint Charge (this card is not good usually but it's been useful in a grind game)

3x Polari (it gets your engine going and lets you lead into:)
2x Septentrion (shuts down XYZ and Link monster effects, match dependent, sometimes its just a 3000 beater)
2x Grand Chariot (blow two cards up, destroy negation)

and then the standard Link package:
1x Linkuriboh
1x Knightmare Cerb
1x Knightmare Phoenix
1x Knightmare Unicorn
1x I:P
1x Accesscode

honestly the spells probably could use a second pass but its not a high priority, I'm basically just dragging it out til the rest of the cards come in

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ursarctic are a fun concept and have fantastic art but man they just suck in every other way.

When you give a deck a card that says 'draw seven' and the deck still can't even be rogue, you know there's issues with it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That solo duel where you have to use ursarctic/meklord versus the perfect meklord/galaxy photon deck and also the AI probably has destiny draw still haunts me

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

That solo duel where you have to use ursarctic/meklord versus the perfect meklord/galaxy photon deck and also the AI probably has destiny draw still haunts me

Isn’t that mekk-knights, not meklords?

I don’t remember that one being much of a pain, maybe I just got lucky

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Right, Mekk Knights. That's not confusing at all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Right, Mekk Knights. That's not confusing at all.

The easy way to remember is that Meklords are terrible.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlRJweFrOsA
Functioning game lmao

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Things I learned last night:

- Dark Doriado's pendulum effect shuts off Grand Spirt Art Ichirin because it adds DEF, and Ichirin doesn't specify "1500 starting DEF". Kinda annoying because D.Doriado is a nice card for Charmers even if Lyna and Dharc don't benefit (and has lore relevance!)

- Ichirin can actually shut off an Ash Blossom lmao, I assume that works for other monster hand traps too

I keep running into (what I assume is) bots running this specific deck made of free cards, particularly in Silver, and they kinda just do nothing for a minute or two and either disconnect or play like, one Beckoned by the World Chalice if anything and then pass turn and it confuses the hell out of me.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

kirbysuperstar posted:

I keep running into (what I assume is) bots running this specific deck made of free cards, particularly in Silver, and they kinda just do nothing for a minute or two and either disconnect or play like, one Beckoned by the World Chalice if anything and then pass turn and it confuses the hell out of me.

That's just one of the default decks you're probably playing against new players who don't know the game very well...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh you're right it is the default. They're definitely not new players though, I ran into 4 last night who all did the same thing.

https://old.reddit.com/r/masterduel/comments/txhld5/there_has_been_a_bunch_of_starter_decks_on_rank/

The idea of it being banquet bots that are using the wrong deck has some sorta merit I guess? I dunno.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 30, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm mostly baffled they managed to get out of Bronze.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

girl dick energy posted:

I'm mostly baffled they managed to get out of Bronze.

Bronze you only need 2 wins per rank. You can pretty easily stumble into that just through lucky disconnects or people rage-quitting when they fuckup their combo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Or people fed up with them taking two minutes per turn and just bailing I guess

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm so loving tired of Numeron.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I've ducked the Numeron OTK several times because I opened with a Classic Monarch Brick and had to pass with no monsters on the field

I won most of them lol, it kinda rules

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm so loving tired of Numeron.

Every time I negate their field spell with Sheou and they sit there for a significant length of time, I grin like a dumbass.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Kyrosiris posted:

they sit there for a significant length of time, I grin like a dumbass.
The long pause after breaking people out of their formula and force them to start playing with actual skill is the best. :agesilaus:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
If you don't have the cards then you don't have the cards.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

i throw down a face down

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I pass, turn my prompts to off, then go get a cup of coffee. Assuming I will lose next turn is likely, but still wanting the pity points for losing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kyrosiris posted:

Every time I negate their field spell with Sheou and they sit there for a significant length of time, I grin like a dumbass.

I hit them with the harpies feather storm or icarus wing. Honestly two of the best cards in my Bird Up list.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nyaa posted:

The long pause after breaking people out of their formula and force them to start playing with actual skill is the best. :agesilaus:

Numeron doesnt really have a backup so its not really a skill test once the combos interrupted, you only can lose

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Numeron doesnt really have a backup so its not really a skill test once the combos interrupted, you only can lose
Such is the nature of OTK decks.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

One thing solo definitely prepares you for is bullshit combos that you have no hope of countering with the lovely loaner decks. I'm still debating whether to clear all of them before dipping into ranked, or diving in and seeing how far I can get in the new season with the Blue-Eyes Chaos deck I've built.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bloody Pom posted:

One thing solo definitely prepares you for is bullshit combos that you have no hope of countering with the lovely loaner decks. I'm still debating whether to clear all of them before dipping into ranked, or diving in and seeing how far I can get in the new season with the Blue-Eyes Chaos deck I've built.

Just do the solo when you feel like it. Ranked gives you rewards and dailies. Plus one of the dailies is "play solo mode 3 times" so you can chip your way through it then

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you're very close to a multiple of 1000 gems, it can pay to do solo duels that reward gems so you can reach that multiple and get an extra ten-pull at the secret pack you want. Though, if there's an archetype you're really interested in that has a solo, completing their solo will usually give you at least a couple of cards that're useful for that archetype, and/or one-time access to their Secret Pack.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Pure lyrilusc is so much more fun than Bird Up. Go first end on a board with UFD, 3-4 mat Ensemble Robin and Harpies Feather Storm.

It also lets me do this every 3 games or so:

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 2, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hey card game goons! I broke my leg yesterday, and spent half the night on painkillers watching Yugioh Abridged. While I sit here convalescing I've convinced myself to get back into the children's card game scene. Is Duel Links on Steam a decent platform or should I pick a different one?

Also, more importantly, is my old friend Blue-eyes still useable? Especially in my current state I think I need to bash people over the head with dragon beatsticks instead of using tactics.

My ye olde irl deck is just fat attack dragons, plus support.

Dragons, hell yeah.

No I do not and never have read or wrote Seto Kaiba fanfiction, why would you even think that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hey card game goons! I broke my leg yesterday, and spent half the night on painkillers watching Yugioh Abridged. While I sit here convalescing I've convinced myself to get back into the children's card game scene. Is Duel Links on Steam a decent platform or should I pick a different one?

Also, more importantly, is my old friend Blue-eyes still useable? Especially in my current state I think I need to bash people over the head with dragon beatsticks instead of using tactics.

My ye olde irl deck is just fat attack dragons, plus support.

Dragons, hell yeah.

No I do not and never have read or wrote Seto Kaiba fanfiction, why would you even think that.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

duel links is good, master duel is good, both have different but equally predatory f2p models, both have enough single-player to sate your hunger without immediately throwing you to the wolves. duel links is more simplified with quicker games and a heavier focus on the anime characters, master duel is an accurate sim of the ocg roughly a year or so ago but with a worse banlist

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

seto kaiba fanfiction is cool and you should share it with the class

E: oh and blue-eyes is about the same on both platforms, in that it's an okay deck that can steal some wins but people will make fun of you for playing it

Skeleton Mom fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 2, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If what you've got is a hankering for the anime, play Duel Links. The rules are streamlined, and the presentation is much flashier, including actual voice acting from the original cast. Forget fan fiction, you can play AS Kaiba. But the format is very, very different from 'real' Yu-Gi-Oh. So if you want to get involved in something more similar to the actual card game as it is now, Master Duel is where it's at.

The good news is that both are free to play, so you can try both and see which clicks with you more, before you sink all of your income into gachas for pretend trading cards.

Skeleton Mom posted:

E: oh and blue-eyes is about the same on both platforms, in that it's an okay deck that can steal some wins but people will make fun of you for playing it
This is technically true, but Master Duel BEWD decks only use it because they have to. Duel Links BEWD decks sometimes use the beater for his own sake. (Not willingly most of the time, but they can.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 2, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think I'll start with Duel Links then while I'm still brainless and homebound, and RP Kaiba.

Is there a current goon discord for Master Duels though? It would be fun to get back into card games. And Yugioh is way more fun than MTG somehow. Plus it has much funner and wackier cards art-wise. I might like jumping in there when my brain is working.

quote:

This is also appealing. I love gimmick strats that stand a chance.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 2, 2022

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I will say that Master Duel is waaay easier to make decks with than Duel Links as it's weirdly generous with its currency and crafting. I've made 4 fully viable decks with all sorts of Ultra Rares, 1 being a meta deck, without paying a dime. While Duel Links will make you grind much more for longer to avoid paying up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Master Duel if you have a goal to aim for you can easily shoot for and open/craft a specific deck or two from the intro currency dump with every event giving you roughly enough to make another one minus any of the staple Ultra Rares.

I've managed to make Dinosaurs/Fluffals/Synchrons/Cyber Dragons/Thunder Dragons as a FTP player exclusively and it isn't onerous as long as you just save up between making decks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah Link's system seems kindof baffling where you frequently have to buy an entire set 3 times over just so you can get one specific card you can't obtain in any other way. In Master Duel you can just turn 3 bad cards into anything of the same rarity.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is there a current goon discord for Master Duels though? It would be fun to get back into card games. And Yugioh is way more fun than MTG somehow. Plus it has much funner and wackier cards art-wise. I might like jumping in there when my brain is working.

Boop.

https://discord.gg/3tuSwV53

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Also when cards are only in the card trader it sucks mega rear end

loving aromages