Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i suspect he will try to invade finland too at this point if he thinks he has enough manpower.

Russia doesn't have the resources or the will to endure a full on war with Europe/NATO. The sanctions mean they can't make the equipment they need, and they are already short on equipment for soldiers let alone for heavy military equipment.

All that said, it worries me that Russia is then limited in what it can do in terms of conventional warfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
He doesnt have the equipment to do a general mobilization and if he tried it hes going to end up like the last czar

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Shard of the true cross makes it immune to missile strikes.

I don’t know if I’m missing the joke, but the Moskva was apparently carrying a shard of the true cross (for some reason) when it was sunk

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

davecrazy posted:

With what equipment? Some rusted out T-55 in some storage depot in Siberia?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

feel like we're burying the lede here, what ship sails with a vatican flag and what special freight perks does it carry?

And a Vatican flag administration, and Vatican licensed crew.

I wanna work for the Vatican flag administration.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

BattleMaster posted:

What do you mena "how can you demobilize from a general mobilization?" The war that Russia is about to celebrate winning had a big chunk of the world on total war footing and demobilization wasn't a problem.

Battlemaster, how long were the armies of the 30s mobilized for? I believe Russia was mobilized for like 8 years? We are talking six months to a year, and your example partly proves my point that these armies have to do something major to make sense. Winning world war two was a pretty big thing.

I want this to be bullshit and just rhetoric. But I am afraid that things look really bad and the ever increasing brinkmanship that seems to be replaying is getting more and more desperate as Russia's machine fails quicker.

Russia is not a superpower. But, it's third collapse will potentially have worldwide side effects.

I get everyone saying things in opposition to my theory of the Gen mobilizations meaning. But I really like reading the replies and hearing the different sides, it's still a question in my mind. What the gently caress will this achieve? A morale victory? Or will it create a general uprising and collapse or concentration of state power? What the gently caress path does this put Russia on other than a probably worse one than what is currently happening.

Will the center collapse and power becomes concentrated in a confederation of oligarchs all with territorial ownership instead of just capital control?

It's worth thinking about, whether you think it's bad or nothing to worry about.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 30, 2022

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Zerg rushing the Fulda Gap with all the tanks was a good idea compared to this stupid war.

Stalin would have shot Putin by now.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

the popes toes posted:

Zerg rushing the Fulda Gap with all the tanks was a good idea compared to this stupid war.

Stalin would have shot Putin by now.

The USSR should have crossed the English channel and liberated Europe and Africa from capitalism so they could go back in time and kill baby putin in our timeline.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Some new english language FL socials
https://twitter.com/ThomasMurrey
https://twitter.com/DocPraning

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1520251664384462848

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just some casual concentration camp discuss with Dollar discount Gobbles and his friends.

https://twitter.com/juliadavisnews/status/1520213048149123072?s=21&t=4Hu0plfkwyAUlK1PX9s0Mg

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Kyiv didn't impose the sanctions, though?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

the popes toes posted:

Kyiv didn't impose the sanctions, though?

I mean, they sort of did too. I doubt the trade between Ukraine and Russia is on the same level as last year.
But yes, Ukraine can't just unilaterally decide that European sanctions get dropped within days as a prerequisite of stopping the war.

d64
Jan 15, 2003
This war makes it easy to see how a lot of headlines and articles in the afternoon papers work on the basis of creating anxiety. A lot of things discussed in this thread as pretty much rumors, like the May mobilization here, are run as basically true and confirmed. At least on the level of headlines, and many people will not read the article, just see the headline and think "oh gently caress this is turning into a nightmare."

There's also lately been headlines speculating on Russia having managed turn the tide in the war that would be prime examples of Betteridge's law.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

I mean, they sort of did too. I doubt the trade between Ukraine and Russia is on the same level as last year.
But yes, Ukraine can't just unilaterally decide that European sanctions get dropped within days as a prerequisite of stopping the war.

I'd wonder if Russia realizes all these countries that are are weaning themselves off Russian hydrocarbons aren't going to rush back once this is over.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

d64 posted:

This war makes it easy to see how a lot of headlines and articles in the afternoon papers work on the basis of creating anxiety. A lot of things discussed in this thread as pretty much rumors, like the May mobilization here, are run as basically true and confirmed. At least on the level of headlines, and many people will not read the article, just see the headline and think "oh gently caress this is turning into a nightmare."

There's also lately been headlines speculating on Russia having managed turn the tide in the war that would be prime examples of Betteridge's law.

Yes, a lot of people have really lovely media literacy, or, indeed, literacy in general.

d64
Jan 15, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes, a lot of people have really lovely media literacy, or, indeed, literacy in general.
More annoyed at the papers exploiting that. A lot has been written about various trolls domestic and abroad working hard to create discord and confuse people on what is happening in the world, we don't need msm helping them. This is not reporting on the latest drama in reality tv, really they should stick to straightforward writing.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

American media has been reduced to, in many respects, a revenue generation scheme for the advertising companies that run the real show, and in other cases, a series of platforms for capital to air the personal views of billionaires via paid media proxies. This is particularly apparent when approaching news media on social media platforms.

We see the consolidation in, e.g., Musk purchasing Twitter, Bezos purchasing WAPO, the terrifying homogenized Sinclair Broadcast Group pieces, the SEO'd to hell and back clickbait hellsites, and of course the classic example of Murdoch's News Corp.

A lot of Americans are vaguely aware of the ongoing degradation but oftentimes view it through an ideological lens that narrows their perspective.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Actually they kinda can. If Zelenskyy, as the leader of a free and sovereign Ukraine, says "we want this deal, so please drop your sanctions" I highly doubt that the West will go "nah buddy. Go on and continue the good fight".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GaussianCopula posted:

Actually they kinda can. If Zelenskyy, as the leader of a free and sovereign Ukraine, says "we want this deal, so please drop your sanctions" I highly doubt that the West will go "nah buddy. Go on and continue the good fight".
Yes I think lifting (some) sanctions would need to be one of the carrots and hopefully EU would go with that.

Although, I thought the sanctions weren't doing anything, so I wonder why Lavrov is bringing them up :thunk:

Here's an interesting on Pushkin. It's not a new post but I haven't seen it here before.
https://mobile.twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1516163149895852037

As someone with a surface level knowledge of him from the most popular works, this is pretty :gonk: stuff

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Random Integer posted:

The twitter post literally says there is no evidence a general mobilization will be declared. If you want to freak out over things which there is no evidence for well I've just learned that tomorrow Putin will nuke Yelllowstone as part of his plan to finally defeat the mighty Sasquatch.
Oh no. Can that goon who got his tent rustled by the squatch warn him?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes I think lifting (some) sanctions would need to be one of the carrots and hopefully EU would go with that.

Although, I thought the sanctions weren't doing anything, so I wonder why Lavrov is bringing them up :thunk:

The ruble is back to it’s pre war levels, dontcha know? The sanctions failed.
(Just ignore the fact that the only one buying rubles at the moment is Russia so they get to decide the price)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nessus posted:

Oh no. Can that goon who got his tent rustled by the squatch warn him?

Wait did someone post about that?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Here's an interesting on Pushkin. It's not a new post but I haven't seen it here before.
https://mobile.twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1516163149895852037

As someone with a surface level knowledge of him from the most popular works, this is pretty :gonk: stuff

Getting Europe to drop sanctions would be hard for Zelenskyy. Everyone is absolutely tired of Russia's poo poo and doesn't want them to be able to militarize any further until they drop the fascist regime. This has gone way past the Ukraine war now.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Victory day parade rehearsal

https://twitter.com/dnevnikspb/status/1519704915974791170?t=WZx7dlq0SBrQbAmsZCs09w&s=19

Nice armbands

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Those have been a thing for years. Gaudy, sure – I'm just noting, for the reference of the rest of the thread, that they haven't suddenly developed appreciation for red armbands with white circles.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hamelekim posted:

Russia doesn't have the resources or the will to endure a full on war with Europe/NATO. The sanctions mean they can't make the equipment they need, and they are already short on equipment for soldiers let alone for heavy military equipment.

All that said, it worries me that Russia is then limited in what it can do in terms of conventional warfare.

Don't underestimate Russia. Just a few years ago they bought a battalion's worth of war winning tanks from Asia.

https://www.businessinsider.com/putin-pivots-to-wwii-t-34-tank-propaganda-as-the-t-14-fails-to-launch-2019-1?r=US&IR=T

fatherboxx posted:

Victory day parade rehearsal

Nice armbands

Maybe a LITTLE too on the nose?

e: at first it looked like there's a Z in the circle, but they're actually numbered. Still it wouldn't surprise me to see zwastika armbands at this point.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 30, 2022

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Someone really lost the plot with the whole "можем повторить" thing

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well unfortunately there just isn't any other color combination than red with white circle... Our top researchers have been working for years to verify speculations about things such as "black and blue" or even "green and yellow", but so far without success.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Our first indication that Russia might be serious about ending this.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Chalks posted:

Here's hoping. Distasteful as it it, I hope that there are back channels committing the gradual easement of sanctions following a political settlement between Ukraine and Russia. We're unlikely to see earnest negotiations until the forces have ground each other down even further but, still, it would be nice to prepare the ground with some added incentive imo. Western messaging lately has felt very "all stick, no carrot".

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 30, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PerilPastry posted:

Here's hoping. Distasteful as it it, I hope that there are back channels committing the gradual easement of sanctions following a political settlement between Ukraine and Russia. We're unlikely to see earnest negotiations until the forces have ground each other down even further but, still, it would be nice to prepare the ground with some added incentive imo. Western messaging lately has felt very "all stick, no carrot".

The West is still paying Russia billions for oil and gas

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Failed Imagineer posted:

It would be nice if the governments that are going to pay in "euros" at gasprombank did it by hauling freight trucks of 1 eurocent coins for maximum spite

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Those have been a thing for years. Gaudy, sure – I'm just noting, for the reference of the rest of the thread, that they haven't suddenly developed appreciation for red armbands with white circles.
Are they choreography aides or something? This had come up in a Discord I was in. Surely the design is a little on point, but it is a simple and easy way to do something eyecatching, that is for sure.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chalks posted:

They've been repeating this line for ages.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SlowBloke posted:

It would be nice if the governments that are going to pay in "euros" at gasprombank did it by hauling freight trucks of 1 eurocent coins for maximum spite

The total number of euro coins in circulation is 141.6 billion. If all of those were eurocent coins, there wouldn't be enough in existence to pay for a single day's worth of EU imports from Russia. Kind of an interesting illustration of how much we are propping up their war effort. Well, not that interesting

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Russia's export revenue doesn't need to drop to zero for there to be an unsustainable impact on their economy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Chalks posted:

Russia's export revenue doesn't need to drop to zero for there to be an unsustainable impact on their economy.

For sure, but it's a bit galling to say that the West is "all stick, no carrot" when we are in fact giving Russia billions of carrots.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

They've been repeating this line for ages.

I'm probably reading too much into this, but it did coincide with Lavrov walking back some of his most incendiary, saber rattling remarks:
He says that NATO seems to consider itself at war with Russia but that the feeling is not mutual, implying that Russia is the more responsible party showing the necessary restraint in a nuclear world:
https://youtu.be/_DwOZOaJfY4?t=1147
Whole interview is up here - w time stamps - if anyone wants to take a look

"The foreign minister was asked about an interview he did on Russian TV earlier this week, which stated: “If the US and its allies continue to arm the Ukraine, the risk of war escalating into a nuclear conflict should not be under-estimated.”

Lavrov said that his statement had been taken out of context and that he meant to say that Russia have been “champions of making aegis by all nuclear countries ne[ver] to start a nuclear war"
https://english.alarabiya.net/News/world/2022/04/29/Russia-FM-Lavrov-reacts-to-sanctions-West-has-always-been-Russia-phobic-

Who knows if there's any actual significance to this rhetorical shift though. Lavrov's positions do oscillate wildly from day to day so it might just be attributable to Al-Arabiya representing a different audience.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 30, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PerilPastry posted:

Lavrov said that his statement had been taken out of context and that he meant to say that Russia have been “champions of making aegis by all nuclear countries near to start a nuclear war"

Are we sure he hasn't had a series of strokes?

E: another day dawns and Russia is still defiantly on fire

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1520328971010912258?t=qHHlzRvA8Ip7M-HSZyZQ9Q&s=19

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

mobby_6kl posted:

It's really par for the course for imperial authors. That said, I'm a little surprised he didn't have the western infatuation with Polish resurrection considering his Francophilia