Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Fritz the Horse posted:

For your specific situation, do you have any high-risk conditions? Do you live or have close contact with anyone who is high-risk? When is your trip? What precautions will you be taking during the trip and what precautions will those around you be using? Keep in mind a booster will take a couple weeks to kick in.

I assume that the bivalent boosters Moderna is working on will still be available if you get a booster now.

Appreciate the effortpost, and apologies for repeating garbage then, my bad!

The only high-risk condition I have is that I'm a chonky boi. Did start going back to the gym this week though because when I helped my dad with yardwork over the weekend it just FLATTENED me. Absolutely abysmal shape I'm in, it seems.

I don't know if my wife his high-risk or not. She has asthma (well controlled) and I guess Advair or whatever is a minor steroid so maybe minorly immunosuppressed?

Trip is apparently starting May 9th. Maybe. That got dropped on me today and I wasn't really expecting that.

Precautions: I'll wear my N95 on the plane/airport. Probably not at the destination; it's not a conference, maybe just 8-12 people max. Large conference room and/or individual workstations in an office through the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

What are you looking for here, really? Permission to get a booster? You have our permission.
An excuse not to get one because of some pseudoscientific antivax nonsense? You won't get it here.

The decision is yours.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you want to be told what to do, get the booster unless your doctor (no one else) gave you a specific reason not to (uncertainty doesn't count)

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Zarin posted:

Appreciate the effortpost, and apologies for repeating garbage then, my bad!

The only high-risk condition I have is that I'm a chonky boi. Did start going back to the gym this week though because when I helped my dad with yardwork over the weekend it just FLATTENED me. Absolutely abysmal shape I'm in, it seems.

I don't know if my wife his high-risk or not. She has asthma (well controlled) and I guess Advair or whatever is a minor steroid so maybe minorly immunosuppressed?

Trip is apparently starting May 9th. Maybe. That got dropped on me today and I wasn't really expecting that.

Precautions: I'll wear my N95 on the plane/airport. Probably not at the destination; it's not a conference, maybe just 8-12 people max. Large conference room and/or individual workstations in an office through the day.

It sounds like both you and your wife might have some moderate risk factors.

The short time frame of your departure means a booster won't have much time to kick in. If you're going to get a booster, get it ASAP so it has more time to take effect.

tbh if I were in your situation I would be rushing to get a booster* and making arrangements to potentially miss work for a day. When I got my third shot I had a fever of 101F, chills, and fatigue for a day. The only reason I see to skip a booster is if you absolutely can't afford a recovery day in case you have significant side effects.

*We're not your doctor. But I don't see a good reason for you to not get a booster tomorrow?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

spankmeister posted:

What are you looking for here, really? Permission to get a booster? You have our permission.
An excuse not to get one because of some pseudoscientific antivax nonsense? You won't get it here.

The decision is yours.

Nope, I was just looking to see if "getting too many boosters" (spaced 6+ months apart) was Actually Bad. Looks like the answer to that is "lol, nope, that's dumb as hell" so that settles that.

haveblue posted:

If you want to be told what to do, get the booster unless your doctor (no one else) gave you a specific reason not to (uncertainty doesn't count)

Not particularly, but good advice nonetheless!

Fritz the Horse posted:

It sounds like both you and your wife might have some moderate risk factors.

The short time frame of your departure means a booster won't have much time to kick in. If you're going to get a booster, get it ASAP so it has more time to take effect.

tbh if I were in your situation I would be rushing to get a booster* and making arrangements to potentially miss work for a day. When I got my third shot I had a fever of 101F, chills, and fatigue for a day. The only reason I see to skip a booster is if you absolutely can't afford a recovery day in case you have significant side effects.

*We're not your doctor. But I don't see a good reason for you to not get a booster tomorrow?

Appreciate it. Yeah, 3rd shot for me (iirc) I got it at 11am, had chills overnight, was mostly okay by the next morning and probably back to normal by that evening.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Round #2 with this virus for me. Got symptoms on wednesday, tested positive same day. Rough ride despite being triple pfizered

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Here's another paper on how a 3rd mRNA dose expands immune diversity to include antibodies against variants.

quote:

The omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2 infected many vaccinated and convalescent individuals1-3. Despite the reduced protection from infection, individuals that received 3 doses of an mRNA vaccine were highly protected from more serious consequences of infection4. Here we examine the memory B cell repertoire in a longitudinal cohort of individuals receiving 3 mRNA vaccine doses5,6. We find that the 3rd dose is accompanied by an increase in, and evolution of, anti-receptor binding domain-specific memory B cells. The increase is due to expansion of memory B cell clones that were present after the 2nd dose as well as the emergence of new clones. The antibodies encoded by these cells showed significantly increased potency and breadth when compared to antibodies obtained after the 2nd dose. Notably, the increase in potency was especially evident among newly developing clones of memory cells that differed from the persisting clones in targeting more conserved regions of the RBD. Overall, more than 50% of the analyzed neutralizing antibodies in the memory compartment after a 3rd mRNA vaccine dose neutralized Omicron. Thus, individuals receiving 3 doses of an mRNA vaccine, have a diverse memory B cell repertoire that can respond rapidly and produce antibodies capable of clearing even diversified variants such as Omicron. These data help explain why a 3rd dose of a vaccine that was not specifically designed to protect against variants is effective against variant-induced serious disease.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04778-y

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Shout out to ask the "omicron is mild!" discourse from late last year and early this year

https://twitter.com/DanielGriffinMD/status/1522313482611404800

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I had 2 shots and 1 booster (in Oct) and had Omi in January. Should I go ahead and get another booster? My Publix has walk in availability. I have to travel next weekend by plane and can't find much guidance on 2nd booster post omicron (otherwise healthy adult).

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I predict when the dust settles that we'll get an annual flu/covid combo shot beginning in October with the aim of protecting us over the holidays and through the winter peak. Idk how many people would be willing to get 4 boosters a year, especially since many do feel sick for a day afterwards.

Your plan is likely more efficacious although I wonder if there's a point at which the risk:benefit ratio becomes unfavorable

the flu vac barely get above 50ish% uptake, as long as regressive media or social media exist, it will stay at that range. or probably go lower because zuck/elon make more money by allowing poo poo to be posted.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bottom Liner posted:

I had 2 shots and 1 booster (in Oct) and had Omi in January. Should I go ahead and get another booster? My Publix has walk in availability. I have to travel next weekend by plane and can't find much guidance on 2nd booster post omicron (otherwise healthy adult).

Thread advice to me was "why not?" and I had no answer to that so I went and got it.

Maybe you have a different answer, I dunno!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm not eligible for a fourth shot as a healthy adult in Australia, and it's baffling to me that someone in the one-third-unvaccinated and thus more deeply plague-riddled US wouldn't take it up as soon as it's an option. Ask your doctor, not SA.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

1: we don’t all have access to doctors because as you may have heard, our health care is not universal, affordable, or anything else reasonable

2: the booster is not freely available to everyone everywhere. 3 out of the 4 I called told me I was not eligible.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 6, 2022

HazCat
May 4, 2009

freebooter posted:

I'm not eligible for a fourth shot as a healthy adult in Australia, and it's baffling to me that someone in the one-third-unvaccinated and thus more deeply plague-riddled US wouldn't take it up as soon as it's an option. Ask your doctor, not SA.

I'm in Australia and I got a fourth shot by making an online booking at my local pharmacy and ticking "I do not have a Medicare card".

Pharmacist didn't ask me for any details, just confirmed my time slot and gave me a shot.

If you want a second booster, you can go out and get one tomorrow without anyone stopping you or caring, just like anyone in the US can.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

By now your natural immunity from catching it will have faded so yeah, get the 2nd booster. It won't be quite up to full capacity before about 14 days though so don't take it as carte blanche to go maskless and party it up with 500 of your closest fellow concert goers or what have you. And remember, N95 or equivalent; cloth does poo poo against omicron and its friends.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

The guidance for second boosters is here:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

quote:

Right now, you’re eligible for a 2nd COVID-19 booster if you:

- Are 50 years of age or older and got your first booster at least 4 months ago

- Are moderately or severely immunocompromised, 12 years of age or older, and got your first booster at least 4 months ago

- Got 2 doses of J&J/Janssen vaccine at least 4 months ago

If you don't meet those conditions, then you are not eligible for getting a second booster right now.

For future reference, CDC guidance can always be found on the official CDC website.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's seems at odds with other opinions and what the pharmacist said ("anyone that comes in and wants a second booster can get it"). I came to ask because if I am able to get it, it's advisable all around right?

Also, CDC guidance is not exactly the best since they dropped recommended isolation period to 5 days, no?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

That's seems at odds with other opinions and what the pharmacist said ("anyone that comes in and wants a second booster can get it"). I came to ask because if I am able to get it, it's advisable all around right?

Also, CDC guidance is not exactly the best since they dropped recommended isolation period to 5 days, no?

Offiicially you need to be either over 50 or be over 12 and moderately to severely immunocompromised.

In practice, the country is swimming in vaccines and most providers don't really give a rat's rear end they just want to use up their supply before it expires.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Really? It kinda seemed like you had a clear majority of pharmacists telling you that you could not, in fact, get it. That's why you had to call so many places!

Bottom Liner posted:

1: we don’t all have access to doctors because as you may have heard, our health care is not universal, affordable, or anything else reasonable

2: the booster is not freely available to everyone everywhere. 3 out of the 4 I called told me I was not eligible.

And if you don't believe in guidance from the Center for Disease Control, then how are any of us supposed to know what sources of guidance you consider believable? It's kind of pointless to ask the thread for guidance in that point, because :siren:none of us are COVID experts!:siren: At best, we're just regurgitating stuff we saw elsewhere on the internet; at worst, people may be making up their own positions without any professional guidance at all.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bottom Liner posted:

I feel like I can't trust any information from just about anywhere at this point, CDC included. :sigh:

Even if I don't suspect that any given set of information is politically motivated, then I still have concerns that it's incomplete at best.

I really don't know how we got to this point, but I think I hate it.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Zarin posted:

I feel like I can't trust any information from just about anywhere at this point, CDC included. :sigh:

Even if I don't suspect that any given set of information is politically motivated, then I still have concerns that it's incomplete at best.

I really don't know how we got to this point, but I think I hate it.

Even if the CDC is wrong, their guidance matters a lot for what people are "supposed to do". Giving people vaccines against CDC instructions could be out of a pharmacist's scope of practice and they could potentially get in trouble for it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Really? It kinda seemed like you had a clear majority of pharmacists telling you that you could not, in fact, get it. That's why you had to call so many places!

Good thing I found the one with surplus then I guess!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I am over 50 and over 12 so I will ask for two boosters.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

gohuskies posted:

Even if the CDC is wrong, their guidance matters a lot for what people are "supposed to do". Giving people vaccines against CDC instructions could be out of a pharmacist's scope of practice and they could potentially get in trouble for it.

Oh, I certainly understand all that.

And I agree, what they say is still "important" because it absolutely influences all manner of behaviors.

I have to travel for work soon and I am not at all amused that they dropped the mask mandates on airlines.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zarin posted:

Oh, I certainly understand all that.

And I agree, what they say is still "important" because it absolutely influences all manner of behaviors.

I have to travel for work soon and I am not at all amused that they dropped the mask mandates on airlines.

I thought the airlines themselves did that after that chudge made that calvinball ruling in Florida.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Oracle posted:

I thought the airlines themselves did that after that chudge made that calvinball ruling in Florida.

Oh, you might very well be right about that! But I thought I remember hearing that they weren't gonna bother fighting it because they were planning on dropping it a few weeks later anyway.

I could definitely be wrong about that second piece too. Unfortunately it's all sorta faded into the background as everything seems to be more or less open as normal anymore (except a lot of places that used to be 24h aren't anymore)

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Zarin posted:

Oh, you might very well be right about that! But I thought I remember hearing that they weren't gonna bother fighting it because they were planning on dropping it a few weeks later anyway.

I could definitely be wrong about that second piece too. Unfortunately it's all sorta faded into the background as everything seems to be more or less open as normal anymore (except a lot of places that used to be 24h aren't anymore)

Mainly cause people don't want to work for peanuts, or found that being 24 hours actually didn't make them much money. Probably both.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I heard stories about planes on mid flight literally telling people who came onto the plane under a mask mandate that they could now take their masks off hooray!! And people cheered!

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/juliareinstein/no-covid-mask-mandate-split-reaction

If you’d made a risk calculus that flying was okay because at least there was a bunch of masking going on well what’s your problem, COVID is over, can’t expect people to put up with it for the remainder of this one flight.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zarin posted:

The judge overturned the mask mandate on April 18th, and the DOJ announced their intent to appeal on April 20th. Since then, there's no been no further updates on the progress of the case.

Currently, the CDC still strongly recommends masking on all public transit. While the mask mandate was originally expected to end on May 3rd, the CDC has announced continued recommendations for masking, citing rising cases.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

None of the airlines are enforcing masks anymore.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

None of the airlines are enforcing masks anymore.

Well, yeah. The mandate was overturned by the courts, and that overturning has not been stayed, so for now there's no mandate - only a recommendation that airlines are legally allowed to ignore if they want to.

Having had quite a bit of struggle over vaccine mandates last year (pilot's unions hated them), I doubt many airlines are particularly interested in NPIs beyond what's legally required of them.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Main Paineframe posted:

The judge overturned the mask mandate on April 18th, and the DOJ announced their intent to appeal on April 20th. Since then, there's no been no further updates on the progress of the case.

Currently, the CDC still strongly recommends masking on all public transit. While the mask mandate was originally expected to end on May 3rd, the CDC has announced continued recommendations for masking, citing rising cases.

Ah, thank you for the clarification, much appreciated!

I had thought that usually during an appeal the law in question would continue to be upheld but I figure there's probably a whole lot that goes into determining whether something continues or not during the appeal process.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

HazCat posted:

I'm in Australia and I got a fourth shot by making an online booking at my local pharmacy and ticking "I do not have a Medicare card".

Pharmacist didn't ask me for any details, just confirmed my time slot and gave me a shot.

If you want a second booster, you can go out and get one tomorrow without anyone stopping you or caring, just like anyone in the US can.

I'll wait until ATAGI officially recommends it, I'm not going to dick around with my Medicare record

DominoKitten posted:

I heard stories about planes on mid flight literally telling people who came onto the plane under a mask mandate that they could now take their masks off hooray!! And people cheered!

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/juliareinstein/no-covid-mask-mandate-split-reaction

If you’d made a risk calculus that flying was okay because at least there was a bunch of masking going on well what’s your problem, COVID is over, can’t expect people to put up with it for the remainder of this one flight.

I know it's politicised etc but the most baffling thing to me is that anyone would voluntarily increase their risk of catching COVID right before they go on holiday somewhere. Can't wait to spend most of my ten days at a resort in Cancun self-isolating in my hotel room! (yes I realise the kind of people who will peel a mask off an cheer about it are never going to bother to get tested let alone self-isolate)

HazCat
May 4, 2009

freebooter posted:

I'll wait until ATAGI officially recommends it, I'm not going to dick around with my Medicare record

You don't have to give any personally identifying information to make the appointment and the pharmacist does not confirm anything except the timeslot you're booked for. There's literally nothing that could possibly link it to your Medicare record.

My Medicare record shows my three official Pfizer shots, with no sign of the Moderna shot I got between Pfizer 2 and 3.

It's literally exactly the same scenario as it is in the US.

But if you want to wait for ATAGI that's fine too obviously. I misread you saying you'd get the shot as soon as it was an option as you not realising that it is an option for you right now.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

HazCat posted:

You don't have to give any personally identifying information to make the appointment and the pharmacist does not confirm anything except the timeslot you're booked for. There's literally nothing that could possibly link it to your Medicare record.

That's my point, though - I want my Medicare record to be an accurate record of how many shots I've actually had, particularly since having three shots is a requirement at my job. And I'd rather not have to go get a fifth in quick succession if I bandit a fourth tomorrow and my job/the govt then mandates a fourth shot, if you see what I mean.

If we were still in the mass vaccine shortage of last year and I couldn't get my hands on even a second shot it'd be a different story. But I'm basically just saying that if you're in a country where you're allowed/encouraged to get a fourth shot as a healthy young person, and your third shot was 6+ months ago, and you're not an anti-vaxxer, I don't understand why you'd come into this thread asking whether it's a good idea or not.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Well, at least for me, came in to ask because I had picked up some misinformation somewhere along the way and needed a sanity check.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Zarin posted:

Ah, thank you for the clarification, much appreciated!

I had thought that usually during an appeal the law in question would continue to be upheld but I figure there's probably a whole lot that goes into determining whether something continues or not during the appeal process.

That would require the Biden administration to ask a higher court for a stay pending appeal, and the Biden administration has not asked for a stay pending appeal.

This is what some are pointing to as a sign that the Biden administration is kind of half-heartedly appealing the judge's ruling, as a sort of cat-out-of-the-bag strategy that allows them to let the ruling stand while pretending that they're objecting to it (bc they technically are objecting to it by appealing it). But if they really thought it was a public-health crisis they would have asked for an immediate stay.

It kinda/sorta makes sense in context of a virus that has hit in waves, and not knowing if the next wave will hit by the time the appeal is heard, bc if that were the case the administration would then have concrete reasons to appeal without facing public backlash.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Percent change over last 15 days of COVID in L.A.'s wastewater.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Percent change over last 15 days of COVID in L.A.'s wastewater.

When was the mask mandate dropped? March 4 2022 you say?

Must be a coincidence Covids over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My workplace is about to have a superspreader party and I declined the invite. For months I've been the only one here wearing a mask even though people keep getting COVID. And coming to work with it. No way I'm going to spend hours packed into a room with all of them and their guests.