Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's like the Fallout 3 thing from awhile back, where the Presidental metro train you ride is just a guy wearing the metro as a hat, running along a predetermined path under the world. Gamebryo, man. Never change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I feel like clever janky ways that games implement things is at least glitch-adjacent, and able to be appreciated in the same way. Like when you learn that in FFVI, every single in-combat-engine cutscene with Kefka takes place when your party has less than four people in it, because Kefka's programmed as a temporary party member solely so they can load him into those scenes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yea agreed

also it expands the possibility for glitching the cutscene

like that one where the player is half a blown up corpse walking around bleeding silently while other characters speak to them seriously

(i forgot what game that was, pls repost tia)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I think you're thinking of Dead Space. Paging CJacobs to the thread!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Philippe posted:

I think you're thinking of Dead Space. Paging CJacobs to the thread!

yea thats definitely it, the one where the guy spends time crafting a gun in a vending machine while jolly music plays, then throws a grenade into the room where the cutscene is about the start lmao

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

here we go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4CnNfLiiI

e: also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Hx043D_0E&t=80s

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 09:35 on Apr 30, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you want actual glitches, FF6 is a mountain of them, but my favourite is that all your party members are secretly moogles.

At the start of the game, there's a big scene where Locke has to keep the Empire away from Terra with the help of a bunch of moogles. In order to save space, each moogle is occupying the memory of one of the characters you'll get later, and they only get replaced with the actual character when you get to name them. If you can somehow skip naming the character, they get added to your party as their moogle counterpart. That's not actually very helpful, cause aside from the one that's supposed to be a moogle none of them have any abilities, but you can do it.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

"Is this him?"
"Oh yeah. That's, uh...him."

Dabir posted:

If you want actual glitches, FF6 is a mountain of them, but my favourite is that all your party members are secretly moogles.

At the start of the game, there's a big scene where Locke has to keep the Empire away from Terra with the help of a bunch of moogles. In order to save space, each moogle is occupying the memory of one of the characters you'll get later, and they only get replaced with the actual character when you get to name them. If you can somehow skip naming the character, they get added to your party as their moogle counterpart. That's not actually very helpful, cause aside from the one that's supposed to be a moogle none of them have any abilities, but you can do it.

FF6 is bar none my favorite game but holy poo poo are there a lot of glitches. There's an overflow glitch that you can get with just a couple characters (without using any other witchcraft). The game only registers 9999 damage at a time, but the actual value goes up to something like 56,000. But if you can exceed that, like power-leveling Terra and using her Morph, the game doesn't know what to do with a number bigger than 56,000 and just starts over from 1. So as far as the player in concerned, their OP character goes from doing 9999 to triple digits.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I've tried to find this specific video for so long! "His titties just devoured a whole clip" lives rentfree in my head.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

FF6 also has the incredible Psycho Cyan bug.

The character Cyan has an ability that puts him in a unique counterattacking state, where if he gets hit by a physical attack, he counters with a special attack. Using that special attack pulls him out of the counterattack state, so it's one use, one hit, one counter, pretty straightforward.

However, FF6 has a status effect called Imp. While turned into an Imp, characters can't use their special moves or spells, only normal attacks and items. So what happens if Cyan readies a counter then gets Imped? He counters with a normal attack, which doesn't have the function to remove his counterattacking state. So he'll counter every hit against him until you de-Imp him.

But where this gets really fun is what happens when he dies and gets revived while he's ready to counter. For some reason, that breaks his targeting, so he'll respond to any regular attack used by anyone against anyone by counterattacking a random enemy. And when he's in Imp status, his counterattack... is a regular attack. Which he counters. Which he counters. Which he counters. Which he... And so on, until everything before him has been slaughtered.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
https://twitter.com/gamesasylum/status/1520088492960882690

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/gamesasylum/status/1520334246023503872

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

I feel like clever janky ways that games implement things is at least glitch-adjacent, and able to be appreciated in the same way. Like when you learn that in FFVI, every single in-combat-engine cutscene with Kefka takes place when your party has less than four people in it, because Kefka's programmed as a temporary party member solely so they can load him into those scenes.

My game has quite good support for ships and guns, because those are two core aspects of the game. It has...rather less support for anything else. I did make planes their own first-class citizens, but they get launched by invisible plane guns that I position on top of aircraft carriers -- and it's the gun, not the ship, that the plane returns to when it needs to rearm or refuel. But when it comes to bosses? They're all ships or guns. The flying battleship is a ship, of course -- in fact, it uses submarine logic to float at a fixed altitude instead of rocking with the ocean's movement. It just floats above the water instead of belowe it. The submarine boss is a ship, and when it (in a cinematic) flips over and turns into a battleship, I despawn the submarine and spawn the battleship. The giant volcano boss is a gun. The train is a ship, and so are the flying train tracks it travels on.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:lol:

I love in-engine cutscenes for all the dumb stuff that can happen like that.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Dabir posted:

FF6 also has the incredible Psycho Cyan bug.

The character Cyan has an ability that puts him in a unique counterattacking state, where if he gets hit by a physical attack, he counters with a special attack. Using that special attack pulls him out of the counterattack state, so it's one use, one hit, one counter, pretty straightforward.

However, FF6 has a status effect called Imp. While turned into an Imp, characters can't use their special moves or spells, only normal attacks and items. So what happens if Cyan readies a counter then gets Imped? He counters with a normal attack, which doesn't have the function to remove his counterattacking state. So he'll counter every hit against him until you de-Imp him.

But where this gets really fun is what happens when he dies and gets revived while he's ready to counter. For some reason, that breaks his targeting, so he'll respond to any regular attack used by anyone against anyone by counterattacking a random enemy. And when he's in Imp status, his counterattack... is a regular attack. Which he counters. Which he counters. Which he counters. Which he... And so on, until everything before him has been slaughtered.

BRB going to make a solo run at Kefka with this. :unsmigghh:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, my God, this is fantastic. :allears:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Philippe posted:

It's like the Fallout 3 thing from awhile back, where the Presidental metro train you ride is just a guy wearing the metro as a hat, running along a predetermined path under the world. Gamebryo, man. Never change.
He is not wearing it as a hat.

It's an arm slot piece of equipment.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Zereth posted:

WHAT

NO

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Philippe posted:

There's a mod for Cyberpunk 2077 that let's you travel around Night City on the monorail you can see in game. It's really well done, you can choose between an external view of the carriage or 1st person view sitting in one of the seats.

But if you adjust the external view just right, it glitches and you can see its done by putting V on a motorbike inside the carriage, high above the streets

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

yeah.

also it's not an npc, a script makes the player equip the train and then zoom off together

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

I think this actually kind of makes sense in a weird way. If it was equipped as headgear, it would unequip any headgear the player was already wearing which would mean they'd either have to remember what the player was wearing and re-equip it after the train ride was over, or just have a lot of players confused as to why they keep unequipping their helmet after riding a train. The thing is the engine has support for a bunch of specific equipment slots that it simply doesn't use (mods have been made that add equipment for those slots but the base game only uses the chest and head slot), so by throwing it in one of those unused slots they don't really have to worry about it conflicting with gear from the base game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think this actually kind of makes sense in a weird way. If it was equipped as headgear, it would unequip any headgear the player was already wearing which would mean they'd either have to remember what the player was wearing and re-equip it after the train ride was over, or just have a lot of players confused as to why they keep unequipping their helmet after riding a train. The thing is the engine has support for a bunch of specific equipment slots that it simply doesn't use (mods have been made that add equipment for those slots but the base game only uses the chest and head slot), so by throwing it in one of those unused slots they don't really have to worry about it conflicting with gear from the base game.
I believe the base game DOES use the arm slot, though.

That's where the pip-boy goes.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Zereth posted:

I believe the base game DOES use the arm slot, though.

That's where the pip-boy goes.

Then it solves another problem at the same time, because if you unequip the pipboy the player can't enter the menu and mess around/ find out how your workaround actually works

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Honestly the optical illusions game devs come up with, or the funny way an item/vehicle/element is actually this bastardized vehicle or armor or NPC to creat the illusion is fascinating to me and I want to know/see more. It is separate threadworthy tbh.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

Honestly the optical illusions game devs come up with, or the funny way an item/vehicle/element is actually this bastardized vehicle or armor or NPC to creat the illusion is fascinating to me and I want to know/see more. It is separate threadworthy tbh.

Yeah its very fun trivia, like how early versions of WoW didn't actually support most quest objectives beyond "kill X" so pulling a lever or turning a valve for a quest would fire a script that spawns and kills a rabbit somewhere in the game world to kludge around it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Arrath posted:

Yeah its very fun trivia, like how early versions of WoW didn't actually support most quest objectives beyond "kill X" so pulling a lever or turning a valve for a quest would fire a script that spawns and kills a rabbit somewhere in the game world to kludge around it.

See! This is what I am talking about!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dialhforhero posted:

One of my favorites is that Freelancer had sun coronas and planet atmospheres that would burn you up if you flew at the related bodies to hide the fact that 1. they're actually really small except 2. if you're in a strong enough ship you can mash heal and shield restore and hit the sun and bounce off it

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

One of my favorites is that Freelancer had sun coronas and planet atmospheres that would burn you up if you flew at the related bodies to hide the fact that 1. they're actually really small except 2. if you're in a strong enough ship you can mash heal and shield restore and hit the sun and bounce off it

That's hilarious. I love freelancer but I never tried that

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Arrath posted:

PYF Game Workarounds: Invisible dead rabbits everywhere

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
This one's always one of my favorites with this type of stuff. It's not complex or anything, it just makes me laugh.
https://twitter.com/the_rabbit42/status/1045045419280125953

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SpacePig posted:

This one's always one of my favorites with this type of stuff. It's not complex or anything, it just makes me laugh.

The only part that surprises me is that they squashed the back. I guess it's so it doesn't stick into another room.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My game has quite good support for ships and guns, because those are two core aspects of the game. It has...rather less support for anything else. I did make planes their own first-class citizens, but they get launched by invisible plane guns that I position on top of aircraft carriers -- and it's the gun, not the ship, that the plane returns to when it needs to rearm or refuel. But when it comes to bosses? They're all ships or guns. The flying battleship is a ship, of course -- in fact, it uses submarine logic to float at a fixed altitude instead of rocking with the ocean's movement. It just floats above the water instead of belowe it. The submarine boss is a ship, and when it (in a cinematic) flips over and turns into a battleship, I despawn the submarine and spawn the battleship. The giant volcano boss is a gun. The train is a ship, and so are the flying train tracks it travels on.
I know it's not going to get picked, especially over a dick joke, but I'd like to nominate "invisible plane guns that I position on top of aircraft carriers" as a new thread title.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I think it's too long, let's workshop it

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Thread title limit is 80, right? Lol this ends up at 81 counting the pyf game glitch part. Maybe "invisible plane guns positioned on top of aircraft carriers"?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Made the thread! Invisible plane guns are great, but I thought WoW's rabbit-murder-powered mechanics deserved a nod, too.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXV0SndZElU&t=1612s

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SpacePig posted:

Did the person glitch out of bounds to see this or is this someone being surprised that devs use workarounds to do things

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Did the person glitch out of bounds to see this or is this someone being surprised that devs use workarounds to do things

I'm pretty sure they're a/the developer working on whatever game that was, chief

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm pretty sure they're a/the developer working on whatever game that was, chief

Oh ĺol, im owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Dabir posted:

And before they are moogles, they are blonde Terras with the name & & & & & & and Dirks in every equipment slot (you can see this by using a walk through walls cheat when you start a new game)
https://lparchive.org/Breaking-Final-Fantasy-VI/Update%2003/