Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

some plague rats posted:

All scotch whisky is an absolute scam and any time someone starts waxing rhapsodic about the love and craft that goes into it, the flavour profiles and aging process etc then you can be absolutely confident you've met a complete mark and ask to inspect their wallet immediately

yep. With startlingly few exceptions.

edit: terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Good scotch is good scotch, bad scotch is bad scotch.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

some plague rats posted:

All scotch whisky is an absolute scam and any time someone starts waxing rhapsodic about the love and craft that goes into it, the flavour profiles and aging process etc then you can be absolutely confident you've met a complete mark and ask to inspect their wallet immediately

just compare price per liter to alcohol percentage by volume and that'll tell you which one to buy

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Anyway the canonical best scotch was The MacAllan 10 year old single malt, which isn't made any more. I miss the days when you could buy it for ~$20 at Trader Joe's.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fool of sound posted:

This is true of most premium alcohols as it turns out. Ostensibly experts consistently can't tell the difference between a pretty modest product and a top shelf one.

I worked for a high-end booze import and manufacturing business for a while and the poo poo you can do as long as you're careful with how you word it ranged from merely scummy to "this should be illegal"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Evan Williams/Buffalo Trace
Chivas Regal 12
Luksusowa
Gordon's/Plymouth
Kraken/10 Cane

There, I just filled your liquor cabinet.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Anyway the canonical best scotch was The MacAllan 10 year old single malt, which isn't made any more. I miss the days when you could buy it for ~$20 at Trader Joe's.

You're literally agreeing with the people saying there's little difference based on price. Good is good, bad is bad, price is a random factor used to fleece people.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Captain Monkey posted:

You're literally agreeing with the people saying there's little difference based on price. Good is good, bad is bad, price is a random factor used to fleece people.

Price isn't always a random fleece though. Sometimes good things are expensive because they're rare or expensive to make. I can think of a couple scotches like that. Just because you can get good scotch for cheap doesn't mean some of the expensive stuff isn't worth the extra money.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Apr 30, 2022

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'm glad to see goons showing Evan Williams love. It's pretty good and incredible for the price.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'll give you my go-to example: "10 year aged Sherry cask whisky" sounds pretty self-explanatory, but it can absolutely just be some bargain basement 10 year old whisky we bought in a consignment sale, poured into a cask that we swirled a bottle of sherry around in, bottled it two days later and sold it for a 15,000% markup. and it sold so well we couldn't keep it on the shelves, whisky "connoisseurs" went insane for it. We had a guy who wrote the tasting notes for things and he didn't even drink, he just looked at them and guessed and somehow got perfect feedback. You can brew hooch in a bathtub on the isle of Jura and call it Jura whisky. Awful industry

e: autocorrect keeps adding an e to whisky

some plague rats has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Apr 30, 2022

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Price isn't always a random fleece though.

Nobody is saying this? They're saying that quality and price have no relationship in the world of scotch. There are good and bad scotches at all price points.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Price isn't always a random fleece though. Sometimes good things are expensive because they're rare or expensive to make. I can think of a couple scotches like that. Just because you can get good scotch for cheap doesn't mean some of the expensive stuff isn't worth the extra money.

I can see how you got that from my post - it was written as an absolute, what I meant was this

Plastik posted:

Nobody is saying this? They're saying that quality and price have no relationship in the world of scotch. There are good and bad scotches at all price points.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

A very select rare and expensive to make 44 gallons of jizz aged 18 years in a used radioactive waste barrel.

E: Heavy on the tounge with notes of pineapple and a battery acid undertone

Outrail has a new favorite as of 05:45 on Apr 30, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Outrail posted:

A very select rare and expensive to make 44 gallons of jizz aged 18 years in a used radioactive waste barrel.

E: Heavy on the tounge with notes of pineapple and a battery acid undertone

Oh, you've had J&B.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I drink R&R

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

presented in reverse order for effect

Tunicate posted:

For example, someone here recently referred to their cat as a "catputer"

feedmyleg posted:

I've been getting some okay results these days:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I only drink mysterious home-distilled liquor made by someone's Croatian uncle that now resides confusing in a plastic Coke bottle.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Elissimpark posted:

I only drink mysterious home-distilled liquor made by someone's Croatian uncle that now resides confusing in a plastic Coke bottle.

you should let him out of there

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
My favorite scam is the Japanese whiskey trend where there's like 1 real one on the shelf and the rest are J&B or Canadian Club in a different bottle and marked up 1300%

Like it's right there on the label and people still fall for it.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Carthag Tuek posted:

nice

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Carthag Tuek posted:

Lol.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Outrail posted:

Turn on your monitor.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Congratulations to all of us for becoming connoisseurs of rotting barley.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i want to find the guy who is both a whiskey snob and a weed snob and make him moderator of PYF

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I only drink funny quotes and have started to dessicate.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

The Anime Liker posted:

My favorite scam is the Japanese whiskey trend where there's like 1 real one on the shelf and the rest are J&B or Canadian Club in a different bottle and marked up 1300%

Like it's right there on the label and people still fall for it.

Wait what's this

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Have you guys tried water?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Paladinus posted:

uisge beatha, the water of life?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Paladinus posted:

Nah, fish gently caress in it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

fish would gently caress in whiskey, if they could

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

fish would gently caress in whiskey, if they could

:same:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You should in fact not gently caress in whisky, on account of it stings.

You should drink whisky. Cheap rear end delicious whisky. All the while laughing at chumps who buy expensive rear end equivalent whisky.

You can in fact buy any price whisky, and laugh at chumps who bought more expensive equivalent whisky. There is no upper limit.

Repeat after me. Gahahaha, Delicious.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

this evokes an incredibly empty life

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

But enough about Your Posting

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol at completely botching a textbook "don't sign your posts"

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

How did I botch it. It was completely coherent. Right?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:science: I'm high help me do math. :science:

Hottt Banjee posted:

Hello everyone,

It has been about 2 & 1/2 weeks since I've been able to smoke weed while on the job search. Today that job search ended (and I wasn't drug tested, after all...wtf), and some weed just got smoked. Just finished my calc HW and ripping this 64oz waterfall, and I'm high as poo poo and need help with this word problem:

(I apologize that I have to convert math symbols to text)

The average speed of molecules in an ideal gas is

V(avg) = (4/(pi^(1\2))) * (M/2RT)^(3/2) *
(integral b/t [0,infinity])of(v^3)(e^(-M(v^2)/(2RT)))dv)

where M is the molecular weight of the gas, R is the gas constant, T is the gas temperature, and v is the molecular speed. Show that

V(avg) = (8RT/piM)^(1/2)

(wow, that took forever and it looks gawdawful)

It's an improper differentiation problem, if that helps. Draw it out on paper before you try it. Otherwise, I'm giving up on this. I'm being asked to differentiate nuclear physics in a loving calcII class.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Bonus:

Hottt Banjee posted:

Also, I just stole like a handful of my roommate's Cheezits while he left to check his laundry. Should I feel bad?

Another bonus for More Lore™

Gregslo posted:

Yeah man, thats pretty impressive. Not only did he ask the forums for help, he was so loving high he asked TCC for help instead of the "Ask small math questions that don't deserve their own thread."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EorayMel has a new favorite as of 17:06 on Apr 30, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's amazing that you can chart the average age of the userbase of SA by the era where there was a rule against asking for homework help that hasn't been enforced in 10 years (or perhaps it hasn't had to be)

Heath has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Apr 30, 2022

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Heath posted:

It's amazing that you can chart the average age of the userbase of SA by the era where there was a rule against asking for homework help that hasn't been enforced in 10 years (or perhaps it hasn't had to be)

Yeah it's impressive how this forum is just going through the same phases in life at almost the same time. I remember when I first joined at like 19 years old there were yearly threads about what to do when starting college. "Leave your door open!". Then I remember goons getting really into rasterbations and modding nerf guns and stuff, 16 years later it's just nihilistic posting about everything with former beloved founder of the website having offed himself, SA sure came a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Heath posted:

I've seen people ask for homework help recently, mostly in SH/SC where it just gets ignored unless the problem is actually interesting.