Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Ok then, but I'll stay sceptical. My fear is that US versions of stuff to often devolve into angry points hunting or competition instead of trying to be purposefully stupid + charming. And why would anyone remember if they've seen someone before when they're entertaining me here and now? It's not like I'm going to enjoy a joke more the more famous someone is right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I don't think the tone of the show suits American sensibilities really.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Why would we need an American one, we already have the UK, Kiwi, bunch of Scandi, whoever else ones already? What's the point of a US version?

I wouldn't be bothered if they made 2 UK ones, 2 Kiwi ones, and an american one. Anywhere in the language I speak is desired by me. Show like this also isn't going to be a magnet for all the most famous NA comedians anyway, and we've got dozens of pages in this thread alone brainstorming excellent groups of comedians across the gamut.

Plus, we already got a US one but it was under the worst possible conditions & channel, with some really crummy casting, trapped in a 22 minute format.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I do think Australia could pull it off well, we've got a similar but distinct comedic sensibility to New Zealand, as long as the higher ups do the casting right.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Put Rose Matafeo on NZ season 3

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
So are we going to have the "Why doesn't the US have a version, it had a go and it was poo poo, here are a bunch of suggestions for US contestants and hosts" conversation every week?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Mr Beens posted:

So are we going to have the "Why doesn't the US have a version, it had a go and it was poo poo, here are a bunch of suggestions for US contestants and hosts" conversation every week?

Hot take, but I think Mark Evan Jackson and Paul F. Tompkins should be involved!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Two words. Frank Stallone.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mr Beens posted:

the conversations shall continue, until the show manifests

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Consider it the modern equivalent of chanting into the aether until it manifests.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Khanstant posted:

the conversations shall continue, until the show manifests

You could even start a different thread about it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'd accept a Taskmaster Canada as a substitute.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Xelkelvos posted:

True. Give me an English NA Taskmaster, I'm not picky. I'm definitely checking out the Quebec TM when it happens as well.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

what about Taskmaster:Chicago, alongside Taskmaster:LA and Taskmaster:Seattle.

Taskmaster: SVU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Taskmaster: Our Precious American-only Bodily Fluids

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

do canadians have their own secret TV the USA doesn't get to see? nevermind, no point in asking they would never tell.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Khanstant posted:

do canadians have their own secret TV the USA doesn't get to see? nevermind, no point in asking they would never tell.

Canadian tax money goes into making Canadian programming so that US TV doesn't completely monopolize their TV. That said, a CA Taskmaster would probably end up with three non-Quebecois Canadians, a Quebecois Canadian and an American for representation.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 30, 2022

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
This was like 14 days ago....

Pablo Bluth posted:

A Canadian TM has just been announced. Or should I say, a Quebecois TM has been announced.

https://www.lapresse.ca/arts/television/2022-04-12/le-maitre-du-jeu/un-nouveau-jeu-tele-anime-par-louis-morissette.php

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
american comedians simply aren't funny

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Khanstant posted:

yeah those maple-y bastards horded all the Letterkenny for a long while. trailer park boys too i think

Espacio
Mar 25, 2006
Dieses ist der schlechteste verrat!
You already had Taskmaster you just called it fear factor.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Der Untergang posted:

You already had Taskmaster you just called it fear factor.

Alex telling a group of British people to eat boiled bull penis as fast as possible would mean the pinnacle of television as an art form.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Series 84 is where they really start running out of ideas and it's always eat boiled this, lay in a big plastic coffin full of that. no room for lateral thinking anymore, just alex skulking around finding gnarly junk to pour on whatever poor souls got their NIN pulled in the Lottery that month.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I've been going on a tangent of old Craig Ferguson interviews on YT. He seems like someone fun to have involved in TM somehow.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Khanstant posted:

you can see most of it with a VPN and CBC Gem, but most of it isn't good and whatever is good tends to end up on Netflix anyway (Schitts' creek, Kim's convenience, Orphan Black). Sort Of is really good if you want to see something recent that wouldn't be available to Americans.

We do have a tiny bit of panel show stuff on CBC (Because News, The Debaters). It's extremely hokey in an extremely Canadian way, but there's a few regulars on there that would work on a Taskmaster style show. Get someone from kids in the hall on there as the token old guy (Scott Thompson would make a great Taskmaster), maybe someone from baroness von sketch show and there's probably a workable show there.

Eat This Glob posted:

yeah those maple-y bastards horded all the Letterkenny for a long while. trailer park boys too i think

oh poo poo yeah these are also good and non-CBC canadian shows

enki42 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 2, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sort Of is on HBOMax surprisingly, I'll check it out edit: I've watched it all and it was great!!

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 3, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEDwD550vQk

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I don't think the tone of the show suits American sensibilities really.

i agree - there is a hesitancy in american television for comedians to embarass themselves to the level necessary for something like taskmaster. like in japan the most famous comedians still take regular doses of humiliation, eating a bit of humble pie is acceptable in many other countries, but in america it seems like more famous performers have a level of dignity which must be maintained by them not getting embarrassed. i think roasts are the closest formal humiliation sessions and those aren't very popular. if you're going to see a show on american television where people have to do gross or embarrassing things, you're more likely to see absolute randos doing the tasks instead of known comedians

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

There used to be an old maxim about how "in america they make fun of others, in Britain they make fun of themselves" but I don't know how true that is anymore

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i don't think it's worth worrying about the most famous american comedians because they are orders of magnitude more famous than most anyone else that's been on taskmaster (with maybe noel/mel excepted, given how insanely huge GBBO is) and you'd probably never get them anyways.

it doesn't matter though because america has an unbelievable number of working comedians that do silly embarrassing things, such as improv comedy, all the time. and there're plenty of slightly less obscure career comedians that would be great and are already doing dumb poo poo twitch streaming or podcasting in their free time (e.g.: huebel, scheer, tompkins, etc etc)

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 2, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Of course there's tons of funny Americans, that's not in doubt, there's just no funny live TV production in the US. It's your producers and network exutives who suck, not your comedians.

Oh, and the U.S. tv-audience who votes republican

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i agree - there is a hesitancy in american television for comedians to embarass themselves to the level necessary for something like taskmaster. like in japan
I was unable to read past this because I started to picture, and am still picturing, Taskmaster Japan

It's hosted by Downtown and it is for all intents and purposes Gaki No Tsukai

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

I was unable to read past this because I started to picture, and am still picturing, Taskmaster Japan

you may want to check out Documental on prime

https://twitter.com/DocumentalJP/status/930238937699835904

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Same but Kachou Arino and his partner.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i agree - there is a hesitancy in american television for comedians to embarass themselves to the level necessary for something like taskmaster. like in japan the most famous comedians still take regular doses of humiliation, eating a bit of humble pie is acceptable in many other countries, but in america it seems like more famous performers have a level of dignity which must be maintained by them not getting embarrassed. i think roasts are the closest formal humiliation sessions and those aren't very popular. if you're going to see a show on american television where people have to do gross or embarrassing things, you're more likely to see absolute randos doing the tasks instead of known comedians

I think if you started working your way down the list of people who have done Drunk History sessions you'd have a pretty good start.

Which raises an interesting contrast: most of the British version of Drunk History sucked rear end because the narrators were far too sober, polished, and joke-y.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

this has gone to the top of my watchlist, thanks!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Most Extreme Taskmaster Challenge

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
𝙱𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚔 𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚘𝚠𝚗 𝚋𝚘𝚗𝚎𝚜. 𝙱𝚒𝚐𝚐𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚋𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚗𝚜.

𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚞𝚝𝚎𝚜. 𝚃𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚜 𝚗𝚘𝚠.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

As a goon who watches these shows few years after their initial airing, and doesn't have a clue on who the 95% of the contestants are beyond the show, Jo Brand and her "don't give a gently caress, couldn't be arsed" attitude was really thinning out its welcome by the end of the series 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Gonna re-litigate something that Ed Gamble got wrong on the podcast this week. He claims that Bridget failed to complete the middle task in the show because the monster popped up before the balls were clacking. But no. In the crucial frame of the footage, there is a blur of the monster popping, but it's superimposed over an image of the monster still squatting. That means the monster popped up during the frame. However, the ball at the end of the clacker is clearly in motion in every position captured by the frame, meaning it must have started moving while the monster was stationary. Case closed, four points, five prizes to Bridget!