Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Honeybee Inn sequence in FF7R is absolutely great except that it isn't really a rhythm game because the prompts feel mostly disconnected from the music and the dancing. I kept messing it up and restarting because I did not want to disappoint Aerith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I don't understand why doom needs boss battles at all but then again I am old

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Shiroc posted:

The Honeybee Inn sequence in FF7R is absolutely great except that it isn't really a rhythm game because the prompts feel mostly disconnected from the music and the dancing. I kept messing it up and restarting because I did not want to disappoint Aerith.

Yeah it's just a QTE that specifically fucks you on the timing and visibility for a few of the notes. You can still get the trophy and best rewards with a few missed notes so it's a bit lenient

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Eh, don't worry too much about disappointing Aeris. She wont hold it against you for long.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nyoro posted:

I don't understand why doom needs boss battles at all but then again I am old

I mean Doom has had boss battles since the first game?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Arkham Knight character would have been better received if:
  • He had 90% less dialogue and 100% less whining.
  • There was no mystery about who he is since you're blatantly told he's Jason Todd.
  • He was voiced by someone other than Troy Baker, who already voiced Origins Joker, Two-Face, and "Tim Shady" Robin. This is the same series where Gordon keeps getting recast.
  • You got to properly punch him in the face outside of the one predator fight and two vehicle sequences he's in.
  • There's was some real resolution to the character.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Yeah, it boggled my mind that after the entire game he shows up, shoots a lock or something trivial, never shows up again.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Arkham Knight character would have been better received if:
  • He had 90% less dialogue and 100% less whining.
  • There was no mystery about who he is since you're blatantly told he's Jason Todd.
  • He was voiced by someone other than Troy Baker, who already voiced Origins Joker, Two-Face, and "Tim Shady" Robin. This is the same series where Gordon keeps getting recast.
  • You got to properly punch him in the face outside of the one predator fight and two vehicle sequences he's in.
  • There's was some real resolution to the character.

"Batman knows how to break bones. I know real pain." Okay kid, calm down.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Apparently they replaced Paul Dini with Geoff Johns. Is there a laundry list for the poo poo he's notorious for?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I remember I’d gotten spoiled on it and was a little bummed, but then I actually played it and right from his first cutscene it’s 100% clear that it’s Todd

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Phantasy Star IV... I can't reliably get Combo Techniques to fire off. I know what skills to use,game, just fire off the TriBlaster :argh:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Marauders just bring the pacing of combat to a screeching halt. You have to prioritize them because they’re so relentlessly aggressive, but every fight with them is the same because there’s only One Weird Trick to beating them. It’s so antithetical to Doom at the conceptual level and the DLCs just double down on these dumb motherfuckers.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Opopanax posted:

I remember I’d gotten spoiled on it and was a little bummed, but then I actually played it and right from his first cutscene it’s 100% clear that it’s Todd

The funny thing was how the before release the devs were all like " No the Arkham Knight is a totally new character, not someone you've seen before". They convinced approximately zero people.

Tormented Souls seems like a cool enough retro style survivial horror, but they decided to go with having you spent limited tapes to save. Which makes the game really tedious because you have to keep replaying the same parts, since you can't save any progress. Both because you die due to hiding enemies behind fixed camera angles or just you know being an adult and having to do other stuff.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Opopanax posted:

I don't know my Batman lore too well, but when they had a long series of cutscenes explaining that there was a third Robin and he got killed by the Joker and is definitely dead then the identity of the Arkham Knight was not very difficult to unravel

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've been playing I Expect You To Die 2 today, and the mission I'm on has been a complete slog. There's a main villain character with a huge ego, so he naturally is snappy at his staff. You're posing as somebody running the dumbwaiter out of a wine cellar, and every time I get one step closer to the end of the level, a new curveball gets thrown in that kills me. The first game felt like it had just enough signposting that you could figure things out by experimentation, but in this level I literally have the way out opened by the time it expects the first dumbwaiter item to go up. I've got the suitcase I needed to grab after a few minutes. It's like the VR puzzle equivalent of a Dark Souls boss run, I have to perform all these meaningless steps so I can get back to the puzzle of How Do I Not Get Shot. I even think I know how to not get shot now, but I don't want to run through those loving steps again to try it out, only to find out I was wrong and oops I got shot again! And the entire time, I have to wait for canned voice lines to finish playing instead of just speedrunning what I need to do. I've got my glasses, I've got the ladder moved that needs to be moved, I've unlocked the escape route, just shut the gently caress up and hand me the briefcase so I can try deflecting bullets

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

RyokoTK posted:

the DLCs just double down on these dumb motherfuckers.

thanks for letting me know not to play the dlcs

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DontMockMySmock posted:

thanks for letting me know not to play the dlcs

Didn't play the second one (wasn't well received from what I saw), but the first Doom Eternal DLC is basically the devs trolling people with romhack levels of difficulty. There was at least one fight against two marauders at once and that wasn't even one of the hard parts.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

Marauder: gently caress this guy forever for showing up in basically every level after the one he's a boss in.

That's the one.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Dark Souls bullshit again and I legit don't mind that it's hard. I kinda like it.

But for the love of Christ just let me reload at the boss fight/fog door once I reach it or put the loving bonfire next to the guy like every other game does. I'm trying to kill the final dude and I can do the run that gets me to him with my eyes closed and it's loving BORING. It's not cute, it's not clever, it doesn't add tension, it's not gonna make me feel better when I finally beat the motherfucker.

It's just dragging out the game and robbing me of enjoyment. It's a slog and I hate it. It's bad design. Annoying

Repetition for the sake of it in any game is never fun and a save somewhere near a boss is video game layout 101.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

They finally fixed that in Elden Ring and it makes the game way more enjoyable

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I love doom eternal but my god mauraders are easily the worst part of it. I didn't buy the dlc and I don't regret it tbh

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Dark Souls bullshit again and I legit don't mind that it's hard. I kinda like it.

But for the love of Christ just let me reload at the boss fight/fog door once I reach it or put the loving bonfire next to the guy like every other game does. I'm trying to kill the final dude and I can do the run that gets me to him with my eyes closed and it's loving BORING. It's not cute, it's not clever, it doesn't add tension, it's not gonna make me feel better when I finally beat the motherfucker.

It's just dragging out the game and robbing me of enjoyment. It's a slog and I hate it. It's bad design. Annoying

Repetition for the sake of it in any game is never fun and a save somewhere near a boss is video game layout 101.

Honestly, at this point, just play Elden Ring. it has bullshit instant-kill boss lasers, but there's a shrine of Marika outside of the bullshit bosses and you can just respawn there instead. If you want to keep it spoiler free you can, but the spoilers you can find are gamebreaking and great as a "gently caress YOU" to the game.

If you want to finish the other games based off of verbs that you practiced in Elden Ring, that's great! But Elden Ring lets you cheese the whole thing so hard that both Demons' Souls and Dark Souls have to take a moment to recognize if the 20 second death laser stagger build should be nerfed.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BiggerBoat posted:

Wait till you get to DS2

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't recall ever dying to a marauder and didn't find them egregiously hard, but they made me angrier than anything to the point where I could practically feel my blood pressure rising anytime one was around because of how badly they destroyed the pacing in a game that otherwise had a very satisfying flow and rhythm. I enjoyed the game overall despite them but never bought the DLCs because of the reports that the devs doubled down on them, including a new enemy type which allegedly also kills the pacing by demanding you fight them in a too-specific way.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I love doom eternal but my god mauraders are easily the worst part of it. I didn't buy the dlc and I don't regret it tbh

I had bought the deluxe version, which really just pre-bought the DLC, because of how much I liked 2016. I never have even downloaded them because I was absolutely done with the game once I killed the Icon of Sin.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Marauders wouldnt be so bad if you could use the crucible or BFG on them, but for some bs reason they are immune. Whats the point of super weapons in enemies are immune to them? Why didnt they give the Icon of Sin the BFG proof armor? Why waste it on melee characters?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It is way too easy to overlevel in rune factory 5. I'm on day 22 and I'm almost level 60, coincidentally I beat the first act and the last dungeon for that was like level 20. Bosses melt within 10 seconds, and thats only because after taking enough damage a boss will enter a new phase where they just don't take damage until they're done with their animation.

Also it lacks the perma season farming areas that 4 had, even though it would make perfect sense for the farm dragons to follow it. There is an ice one where its all snowing, but no thats just visual. Its ok, grow your spring or summer crops on it, they'll be fine with the snow.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BiggerBoat posted:

I found a good way to know to tune out someones opinion was how much they defended the boss run mechanic in Souls games. So glad Elden Ring (mostly) got rid of it.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I think the marauder was fine for a one off boss, but I was really annoyed when they kept showing up later.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I found a good way to know to tune out someones opinion was how much they defended the boss run mechanic in Souls games. So glad Elden Ring (mostly) got rid of it.

I was ambivalent on it most of the time because it’s basically the game’s way of subtly nudging me to put down the controller and call it a day when you hit a roadblock but yeah, Elden Ring having like one boss run period so far made me realize they just suck. Not nearly as hard as other things like, say, Bloodborne/ER giving you cool toys to play with but making it hard to upgrade them, but still.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

At least with Doom Eternal you had lives, so if they hosed up your flow and caught you off guard, you just keep going but with one less extra life there.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I liked the aspect of the boss run where it forced you to learn the level properly as you tried to make the run smoother and quicker. But that didn't make me like them overall and there's probably a better way, like the boss bonfire saving all your items and health and whatnot so you'll want to rerun the area until you're in a good position instead of just scraping through.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It can be interesting for the first few runs where you're working out what route and pattern of dodging gets you past the enemies, but it quickly turns into just an extended loading screen, except sometimes you can slip and fail the loading screen

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Part of the reason the Capra Demon loving sucked was the combination of how far the run back was with how likely you were to die in the first few seconds.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

So Binding of Isaac has this mode where at the end of a run you can donate whatever cash you have left over. This unlocks things at various thresholds with the highest being 1000. You can donate up to 99 per run, but most likely you will donate something around 50. There's a mechanic where the machine can jam and you can't put the rest of the money in. The mode is not particularly fun so most people only do it to unlock everything. This kinda includes me, I don't hate it, but I'm only doing so many runs back to back to unlock the stuff in there.

I got to the end of my latest run with 70 gold in my pocket and the machine jammed 20 coins in... at 998 coins. One more run for me I guess.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Part of the reason the Capra Demon loving sucked was the combination of how far the run back was with how likely you were to die in the first few seconds.

Part of me wonders if the Capra Demon is why dogs in Elden Ring all have a grace period of standing still and barking at you before erratically leaping at you…

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sally posted:

Phantasy Star IV... I can't reliably get Combo Techniques to fire off. I know what skills to use,game, just fire off the TriBlaster :argh:

Macros guarantee you cast in an order, but since enemy turns interrupt it confusingly you want to put the slowest character first on your macro order.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Last Celebration posted:

Part of me wonders if the Capra Demon is why dogs in Elden Ring all have a grace period of standing still and barking at you before erratically leaping at you…

I LOVE murdering those dogs while they are doing their dumb bark animation, it's great

Thanks elden ring!

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Phigs posted:

So Binding of Isaac has this mode where at the end of a run you can donate whatever cash you have left over. This unlocks things at various thresholds with the highest being 1000. You can donate up to 99 per run, but most likely you will donate something around 50. There's a mechanic where the machine can jam and you can't put the rest of the money in. The mode is not particularly fun so most people only do it to unlock everything. This kinda includes me, I don't hate it, but I'm only doing so many runs back to back to unlock the stuff in there.

I got to the end of my latest run with 70 gold in my pocket and the machine jammed 20 coins in... at 998 coins. One more run for me I guess.

If you're talking about Greed mode and its special donation machine, it has another (hidden) gently caress You mechanic. The likelihood the machine jams increases as you donate to it, and it tracks it for each individual character. So no doing back to back runs with a character you like and are good with.

At least the newest DLC doubles the character pool so it's easier to max the machine. Even if half of them are just not fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I LOVE murdering those dogs while they are doing their dumb bark animation, it's great

Thanks elden ring!

Doing a running jump attack with a greatsword sends them flying away mid-bark, it’s very cathartic.