Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Joe Man posted:

it's worse than that. biden made it illegal to ship ANY nicotine products through the mail through the PACT act, which pretty much shut down the e-cig industry overnight. obama actually started it with making it illegal to ship any cigarette-length tobacco through the mail (so no more buying duty free cartons for cheap or unique brands from wherever you want). and now no menthols, even from a local shop.

just let me smoke a loving cigarette, dude!!

oh you want to make marijuana legal?

how about making cigarettes illegal? close enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Good soup! posted:

lmao if you smoke tobacco in 2022

hookahs are great and very chill

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

empty whippet box posted:

oh you want to make marijuana legal?

how about making cigarettes illegal? close enough?

If they were actually banning all cigarettes it would be defensible but they're just targeting the ones black people like instead

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Smoking cigarettes makes you look cool as hell

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

nicotine counteracts the effects of microplastics

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

it's true

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
democrats getting out of this with only being 'destroyed' looking a bit too hopeful and optimistic lol
https://twitter.com/Cavalewis/status/1520095372949049346?cxt=HHwWhMC-lYOsu5gqAAAA
edit: oh wait the hispanic subgroup in the poll has an MoE of 9%, so maybe just destroyed after all

Apraxin has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Apr 29, 2022

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Apraxin posted:

democrats getting out of this with only being 'destroyed' looking a bit too hopeful and optimistic lol
https://twitter.com/Cavalewis/status/1520095372949049346?cxt=HHwWhMC-lYOsu5gqAAAA

It's only April
Dems haven't started campaigning
They can totally turn this around
Touch grass
Didn't read
Vote

Uncle Wemus has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Apr 29, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

yeah this is the big thing to me. this is literally not going to accomplish anything other than piss off people, specifically ones who usually vote democrat if they vote at all

so? What are they going to do, vote republican? and showing a "tough on blacks" policy will help them win swing voters. really this might be biden's sistah souljah moment

fast cars loose anus posted:

Thank god for Chantix, if only something like that existed for booze I'd have been able to change my life a lot quicker

I went from smoking nearly a pack a day to having smoked half a pack, total, between 2019 and now

I've discovered that such a thing does exist for booze and it's called weed

Nix Panicus posted:

When I still had cable I recall seeing a poo poo ton more anti-vaping ads than anti-smoking ads. Arent those all funded and produced by the cigarette industry as part of some self-policing awareness measure? I'd ask why not just fine the companies directly and then have people not entangled with the cigarette industry make the ads, but I know the answer would be some variation on the theme of corruption

The anti-smoking ads you see are part of the big settlement (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_Master_Settlement_Agreement) that the government made with the tobacco industry that closed the case on the tobacco companies lying about nicotine being addictive and cigarettes causing cancer for decades. The tobacco companies have to pay money every year to the government and part of that money funds the anti smoking ad nonprofit (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_Initiative)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Apraxin posted:

edit: oh wait the hispanic subgroup in the poll has an MoE of 9%, so maybe just destroyed after all

stop arzying

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Jesus dude, I want to make Manchin and Sinema irrelevant by electing more progressives and liberals, and by getting rid of the people who openly fight to maintain the system, impose increasingly authoritarian laws, and lessen regulations on massive corporations. Kicking them off whatever doesn't do anything besides equivocate them with what it takes to strip a Republican, which is to openly support treason.

But sure, maybe the Green candidate will get 4% of the vote someday. Or some stoned Republican someday elects some libertarian somewhere someday. That'll fix it. Or grow up and recognize who's doing the heavy lifting against a system constructed in countless ways to oppose progress.

I hope the last thing I see before I'm shot for being a queer in a red state is to see a few dipshit liberals like this pissing themselves before they get to eat a bullet.

Gene Hackman Fan has issued a correction as of 23:30 on Apr 29, 2022

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who am I kidding. If D&D is any indication these pieces of poo poo will probably pay for the opportunity to shoot a queer.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Who am I kidding. If D&D is any indication these pieces of poo poo will probably pay for the opportunity to shoot a queer.

libs love to salaciously do something to fit into the chud groups

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

The arc of history ultimately bends towards justice, so whatever is good today is definitionally better than yesterday's good. Sorry, I don't make the rules.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

you're holding something on fire in your mouth. sorry but it's inherently cool as gently caress

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mediaphage posted:

libs love to salaciously do something to fit into the chud groups

CHUDs bomb a country, libs bomb a country. CHUDs slash the social safety net, libs slash it even more. CHUDs vote for a brain-damaged rapist, the libs get one for their very own and expect to be thanked for it.

Your theory checks out, just not for your reasons.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

CHUDs bomb a country, libs bomb a country. CHUDs slash the social safety net, libs slash it even more. CHUDs vote for a brain-damaged rapist, the libs get one for their very own and expect to be thanked for it.

Your theory checks out, just not for your reasons.

you're not wrong, of course. i'm just thinking of when some antigun person goes and shoots with some chuds and then writes a story about how fun it was, or makes fun of something like a tractor pull and then goes and enjoys playing chud at the fairgrounds (these are both bad examples because both are rad but you get my drift)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I think my favorite bit of "Elizabeth Warren claims Native American heritage" lore is her having some recipes in the book "Pow Wow Chow" which, like her heritage, she stole

her husband also claims native heritage in Pow Wow Chow too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_H._Mann

quote:

Mann was involved in the Elizabeth Warren Native American ancestry scandal in that he also erroneously claimed Cherokee ancestry in the same 1984 cookbook that Warren did.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

he knew the grift was good

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Antonymous posted:

he knew the grift was good

This is in contrast to his recipe for grits, which was bad.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

her husband also claims native heritage in Pow Wow Chow too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_H._Mann

lmfao I am absolutely cackling
I want a copy of this cookbook so badly

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lmao what

There are thirty books published under her name, but then again, Good Reads might be unreliable on this point because it doesn’t list Pow Wow Chow and does list Lesbian Tales Volume Two.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 03:02 on Apr 30, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Pow Wow Chow Original 1984 Spiral Bound! Not a later edition! FREE SHIP!

Be wary that there are other editions out there. This is the original, the one that is sought after.
And, yes, it includes the heralded recipe for Crab with Tomato Mayo.

This specific book is sold as-is. It has some stains: see pics for examples. All pages are intact, and binding is in good shape.

eBay seller knows what motivates us.

Seriously, though, why was a research associate at the Population Research Center of the University of Texas at Austin publishing stolen recipes?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

you might be able to still buy the book from the Five Civilized Tribes Museum: http://www.fivetribes.org/Gift%20Shop.html

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

eBay seller knows what motivates us.

Seriously, though, why was a research associate at the Population Research Center of the University of Texas at Austin publishing stolen recipes?

because 95% of family recipes are stolen, half of them off of flour bags and the rest on boxes and newspapers. it doesn't excuse any of her ridiculous behaviour of course, but i doubt she went out and found a recipe to steal specifically for the book mostly because i don't think she'd put that much effort into it lol

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

mediaphage posted:

because 95% of family recipes are stolen, half of them off of flour bags and the rest on boxes and newspapers. it doesn't excuse any of her ridiculous behaviour of course, but i doubt she went out and found a recipe to steal specifically for the book mostly because i don't think she'd put that much effort into it lol

i like to think that she quite earnestly believed the stories that every single midwestern family has - your 5x great grandmother was a Native American and your 5x great grandfather came over on the mayflower. and everything else that happened was a great surprise to her. mostly because that’s funny as hell.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

its verbatim tho

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

hookahs are great and very chill

Just smoke weed lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

i like to think that she quite earnestly believed the stories that every single midwestern family has - your 5x great grandmother was a Native American and your 5x great grandfather came over on the mayflower. and everything else that happened was a great surprise to her. mostly because that’s funny as hell.

i'm really torn, that would be hilarious, but she's so seemingly republican in those videos from harvard i have a hard time thinking this wasn't all completely calculated. of course despite the poo poo that went down, i didn't think she was dumb...but then that dna test happened....

Real hurthling! posted:

its verbatim tho

yea because grandmas would write down poo poo off the bag of white lily or whatever

anyway it doesn't matter she's terrible and that's a hilarious 'family recipe' to offer the book

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

The thing that makes me think she actually, definitely did do that in this case is because the recipes in question were published by this French chef in 1979 and Pow Wow Chow came out in 84 so it's not like she was giving out something mom made for her since childhood

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Good soup! posted:

Just smoke weed lol

nah it's cringe

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I hope the last thing I see before I'm shot for being a queer in a red state is to see a few dipshit liberals like this pissing themselves before they get to eat a bullet.
"We need to get rid of people who openly fight to maintain this system and that's why Sinema and Manchin must be embraced by the Democratic leadership no matter what."

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I'm white but I don't look especially white and my name is not a anglo christian name so every week I have someone ask me where I'm from

"wisconsin"

where are your parents from tho

"wisconsin"

no like where are their parents from

"wisconsin as well"

no like what ethnicity are you

"I'm half german, and some other kinds of european, like most people from Wisconsin"

anyway idk wtf they want me to say. I'm thinking I'm just going to say gently caress it and go full dolezal

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

you're going to see my name next to a recipe for hummus and babaganoush that I lifted off of NYT cooking

edit: no one in this thread cares I'm sorry. gently caress the dems tho

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Antonymous posted:

you're going to see my name next to a recipe for hummus and babaganoush that I lifted off of NYT cooking

edit: no one in this thread cares I'm sorry. gently caress the dems tho

i'm a fat slav that's been confused for a pacific islander a distressingly nonzero amount of times and i care, and i also have a killer recipe for beef enchiladas thats stolen directly off of the back of a old el paso sauce can.

death to the dems

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Antonymous posted:

I'm white but I don't look especially white and my name is not a anglo christian name so every week I have someone ask me where I'm from

"wisconsin"

where are your parents from tho

"wisconsin"

no like where are their parents from

"wisconsin as well"

no like what ethnicity are you

"I'm half german, and some other kinds of european, like most people from Wisconsin"

anyway idk wtf they want me to say. I'm thinking I'm just going to say gently caress it and go full dolezal

“I’m caucasian.”

“Like, literally from the Caucasus Mountains.”

“I’m a distant relation to the Kardashians.”

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

My great grandfather refused to discuss his childhood until his deathbed when he claimed to have been born on a Reservation, left at the earliest opportunity, changed his last name to White (lol) and never looked back. Is it true? Maybe? There's a vague resemblance in some of the men in the family. But my dad was pretty clear that claiming Native ancestry and whatever perks it might afford was for those who had grown up on a Reservation or who had grown up being discriminated against for being an 'Indian', not because of some dumb family history story.

Even if she did have Native ancestry its not like Warren had ever suffered hardship over it, and her riding that identity was pure scummy opportunism no matter what her actual genetics. Her being whiter than Trump just made it funny.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

No hardship as a result of her ancestry? I dunno, I wouldn't wish a senior position at Harvard on anyone.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I think my favorite bit of "Elizabeth Warren claims Native American heritage" lore is her having some recipes in the book "Pow Wow Chow" which, like her heritage, she stole

I think what might have happened is that Elizabeth Warren grew up thinking she was part Native American, cause she thought she was cause that’s what her family told her her entire life.

Then she took a DNA test for the dumbest possible reason and it turned out to be not true. So she coulda just said “ok well my idiot parents didn’t have 23 and me 50 years ago so we all thought we were Cherokee but I guess we aren’t, my bad”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

No hardship as a result of her ancestry? I dunno, I wouldn't wish a senior position at Harvard on anyone.

Not even Alan "Pedo-Zionist" Dershowitz? :thunk: