Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

You've just described a pun. Japanese people love puns and think they're hilarious.

Unfortunately most jp puns don't translate to en well

Another potential pun in that part? I'm pretty sure that the use of "Shin" was set up to play with it meaning both "trust" and "die".

Japan having so many words that sound the same basically makes for some of the highest pun density of any language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Japanese people love puns and think they're hilarious.

they're right

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
the suffering begins

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Maki the perpetually dunked

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
finally, the secret heroine has burst onto the stage

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Only took 27 episodes for the best character to take center stage.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I think we're in for some real bangers this season. If you couldn't tell already, I'm pretty sure it's around this time in the manga that Aka really hit his stride and started hitting it out of the park, in my subjective opinion of course. And the anime crew remains as stellar as ever at adapting things.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

finally, the secret heroine has burst onto the stage

Could've said that about Miko too. This show has such a great cast.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Daaamn that was very good. First story really makes me wonder whether K&S will be out of the woods even if they get together lol

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Absolutely bonkers episode

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Ten-Yen game segment had me dying.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Outside of the content source, the general level of quality of this show continues to be wild. Everything from the sound and music direction, the voice acting, art and animation, script and voice direction. It’s just on another level compared to 99% of shows.

The Charlie Brown walk was so good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tabletops posted:

Oh my god it even has the jazz piano soundtrack

e: this episode is too much I"m dying

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 24, 2022

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I had no idea it took this long for Maki to be introduced.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I was a little surprised she was introduced at all! I thought she was just going to be a tragicomic background character forever. Kind of an "oh nooo" easter egg

I wasn't super sold on her until Kaguya got there, but now I'm definitely on board

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tabletops posted:

For a Japanese cartoon it contains a lot of deep(ish) cuts from foreign media like Peanuts and The Prisoner.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Tabletops posted:

Outside of the content source, the general level of quality of this show continues to be wild. Everything from the sound and music direction, the voice acting, art and animation, script and voice direction. It’s just on another level compared to 99% of shows.

What impresses me so much is that it’s really quite economical - they do so, so much with really quite simple fx, cartoony character animation, and just incredibly solid and expressive voice acting, storyboarding and directing. This is the gold standard for an anime adaptation elevating the (already great) source material.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tabletops posted:

Was that this episode or a previous episode?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Raenir Salazar posted:

Was that this episode or a previous episode?

This one

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

For a Japanese cartoon it contains a lot of deep(ish) cuts from foreign media like Peanuts and The Prisoner.

And Starship Troopers!

The comedic timing for all the callbacks and self-references on this show is perfect. And there were a lot of them this episode. You know a show is good when it has enough material behind it to get these kinds of snappy callbacks while still knocking it out of the park.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 24, 2022

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

A real delight to have this show back. Feel good show of the decade.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

I wound up binging the first two seasons again, because drat this show is so good. But doing that and then seeing the ED for season 3 brought up another interesting reference - to Shirogane's interpretation of the Moon Princess Kaguya story. The Starship Troopers style ending mixes imagery both of the high tech future stuff attacking the moon with the previous ending's vintage blimp and biplane aesthetic, showing Shirogane and Kaguya both transitioning between the two.

So it's like Shirogane in the past took the immortality potion and made sure he got to the moon to find her, even if it took centuries.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The dub for season 3's out and besides Aaron Dismuke being out of action for a bit its still the same chaos that I appreciate from this dub.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1520118529760149504?t=LSrhTluslDdQfqjux5DXiw&s=19

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Best girl was just introduced

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Carlosologist posted:

Best girl was just introduced

Who? I don't remember any new characters being introduced. Not counting Hayasaka's new persona

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Really hosed up of them to use "that was a lie" for a gut punch like that. Ishigami continues to be a surprisingly good character.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Raenir Salazar posted:

Who? I don't remember any new characters being introduced. Not counting Hayasaka's new persona

We saw her at the sports festival, but this is the first time we've seen Tsubame Koyasu with a face and voice

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Really hosed up of them to use "that was a lie" for a gut punch like that. Ishigami continues to be a surprisingly good character.

It's a gut punch, but Kaguya following him to the bathroom to show her support was really good. Just like in the relay race where he thought if he actually tried he could turn things around and failed, only to get comforted by the rest of the cheer squad, it's a really good way to spur his growth. He's not going to get the sudden dramatic turnaround victory, but he has friends that are supportive and recognise the effort he's putting in.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Kaguya's friendship with Ishigami is the only time she actually seems as well-put-together and clever as she likes to present herself as. I like it a lot.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Chika's reaction to the Herthaka misunderstanding was amazing.

Also, the ED makes me wonder, is Hayasaka the Dizzy analogue to Kaguya's Carmen? Yeah, I know they don't actually map, but it's funny considering Shirogane/Hayasaka's relationship.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

I was not prepared for the rap battle.

Shame Miko was entirely absent this episode, but Maki's friendship with Shirogane and Ishigami is really nice to see.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was prepared for the rap battle but not another new ED

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
They went so hard on this episode

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
That was possibly one of the best freestanding episodes of anime I've watched. Just incredible.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shyrka posted:

I was not prepared for the rap battle.

Shame Miko was entirely absent this episode, but Maki's friendship with Shirogane and Ishigami is really nice to see.

See, this is where a classical education helps prepare you. Shirogane is right about the literary qualities, after all.

The three kingdoms era Chinese strategist Zhuge Liang was recognized for his ability to spit hot fire, forcing his opponent, the legendary Kabetaijin, into three rounds of overtime.

(Have to appreciate the Queen references in Kaguya, though.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 6, 2022

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

That episode was ballin

Despite how great the rap part was, my favorite moment in the episode is Maki boiling her own tea out of frustration before asking for more. Such a small and silly visual flourish gag to add from that moment in the manga.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

They went so hard on this episode

So hard. Goddamn.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I can't believe I get to say this twice in the same week

me watching this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFkymds8C6I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

This is the best show, nothing even comes close.