Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It doesn't matter. People will come crawling back once IE is out and buy DLCs. Literally the same poo poo happened in WH2, where it was even worse for even longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
It was not worse for longer because it has never been this bad (for WHTW)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Later than I would have hoped, but I'll reserve judgement until I play it. I understand they are slapping the 'beta' level on it, but IE has the potential to be amazing if they do it right. Basically, I just want WH2 + WH3 factions and a better / more interesting chaos mechanic.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

toasterwarrior posted:

It doesn't matter. People will come crawling back once IE is out and buy DLCs. Literally the same poo poo happened in WH2, where it was even worse for even longer.

'crawling back' :xd:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

toasterwarrior posted:

Mortal Empires took half a year to come out?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Mortal Empires took half a year to start even having poo poo WH1 had at the end. It took another year and a half to not take minutes at a time to process end turns. There were mods to straight up delete half the world to speed turns up.

Yeah, I remember it well. It was bad, people just put up with it because what else are you going to play for a Total War fix? The loving King Arthur series?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Twigand Berries posted:

I mined the old thread, ME was two months after release no wonder I don’t remember hating the vortex I never had time to

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Khemri also release 3-4 months afterwards right? So you had an alternative campaign to play with on the Vortex map if you wanted, which is a good map once you cut out the Vortex Race.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Mortal Empires took half a year to start even having poo poo WH1 had at the end.
Mortal Empires was playable from the get go. Because of the CA's lovely version management it was missing one WH1 patch worth of content. But the only big thing missing was Norsca, the other factions were fine.
Performance was a issue. But that was already a problem with WH1 on low to mid hardware specs. WH2's ME only made the existing problem bigger until someone dug around in the engine enough to fix it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
the Nothing on the roadmap is a standin for the Giant Update, where CA will rework all giants into useable, B-tier units

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, it'd be a shame to not see the Realms in some fashion in IE. They're really pretty. I mean, I never ever want to go back to Tzeentch's loving maze, but I do want to fight on those maps.

Yeah agreed. They should just make the Realms optional. Like if you go in there you can do things to get those items/followers that are utterly insane. They could even tie portals to the polar north/south so they only spawn there or are easier to summon there or something. I’d definitely deal with a realm malus if it meant I could get 250 growth for a province.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The ME turn times were a feature. Don't lie, 3/4 of this thread was in the best shape of their life from doing pushups during the end turns. And that's before you figure in the time spent doing productive household chores. I welcome every IE end turn being half an hour.

Given how Hams 3 is at present, it's kinda funny that The Great Norsca Debacle pissed off everyone. It took what, a year and change to get from the 1 release to ME and then another few months to get Norsca in? Meanwhile it took nearly five years to get 3 and nobody is happy with it.

It seems like both 3K and Warhammer would have benefitted from a swapped release order.

QuintessenceX posted:

Yeah agreed. They should just make the Realms optional. Like if you go in there you can do things to get those items/followers that are utterly insane. They could even tie portals to the polar north/south so they only spawn there or are easier to summon there or something. I’d definitely deal with a realm malus if it meant I could get 250 growth for a province.

Yeah I hope the chaos realms in IE are super high risk/high reward optional areas.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 30, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

toasterwarrior posted:

Mortal Empires took half a year to start even having poo poo WH1 had at the end. It took another year and a half to not take minutes at a time to process end turns. There were mods to straight up delete half the world to speed turns up.

Yeah, I remember it well. It was bad, people just put up with it because what else are you going to play for a Total War fix? The loving King Arthur series?

This is big time revisionism.

Unless you were a rabid Norsca fan who absolutely could not wait to play Norsca on the big map, TWW2 wasn't missing anything of note from TWW1 during that initial release period. You were perfectly capable of playing all of the game 1 factions - besides Norsca - on the big map and interact with all of the game 2 factions. The primary thing people were mad about with Norsca wasn't that the game wasn't finished, it was that the need to go back and fix Norsca was delaying other DLC content that people really wanted to buy. The turn times were dog poo poo, but that wasn't "mortal empires wasn't finished", it was an accepted flaw of the game that everyone dealt with and was only fixed later by accidental happenstance because a hero at CA fixed a longstanding error in their code that no one had previously known existed.

People didn't "put up" with it, they played it because the game was extremely fun and solid despite its technical flaws. It became a fond running gag both here and elsewhere to come up with stuff to do during turn cycles, like doing pushups or reading a book or what have you. If the game wasn't good, no one would have bothered.

TWW3 is proof that if the game is actually a rough pile of poo poo, they don't put up with it for a Total War fix, they just stop playing it entirely.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The bugs and stuff suck but I’ll deal with it provided the multiplayer campaign improvements stick for all future titles.

poo poo I’d pay 60bux for a re-release of 3k with all dlc if it had the 8 player multiplayer and simultaneous turns

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Portals to go from continent to continent like a warp subway would be good in immortal empires

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Lol push ups

I went outside and had a cigarette

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

It'd be awesome to have the RoC in IE but how they were implemented in WH3 makes me thing they can't do sub realms so they'd have to include it on the map which honestly doesn't sound that bad if the engine could handle it. Use that for the underway too and you're gold.

I would hit end turn then grab my kindle and get so much reading done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzHLG-WRLaQ
What--hopefully we get old school chorfs in game.

Arghy fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 30, 2022

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

genericnick posted:

I might be the outlier in this thread, but I played hams2 less than 1 despite it being a better game and it very much looks like I'm going to play three less than 2. Even if they fix everything it's unlikely to be not enough to rekindle my interest.

I like the idea of WH1 inhabitability more than the climate system's mostly irrelevant maluses. It really encouraged diplomacy over mindlessly painting the map, since some wars weren't worth fighting and severely disadvantaged you, while encouraging making allies to resettle land you couldn't and act as a buffer. The factions were better balanced on the strategic map and the chaos invasion was a more relevant threat, which made for a more dynamic campaign.

That's about all the nice things I can say about WH1 though. Game kinda sucked and WH2 very quickly became better than it. People acting like the game was unplayable before Potion of Speed are just delusional. Unlike the people saying the game was literally unplayable before Ikit fixed the Skaven. Those people are completely correct.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I enjoyed Skaven from the get go pretty much. Also hard agree on preferring Warhammer 1's habitability mechanic over 2 and 3's climate system. They should never have accomodated those complaints (and they could just have used mods). Same goes for people who wanted the return of minor settlements, they never knew how good we had it. I stand by the best possible solution is and would have been for minor settlements to be field battles, region capitals to be unwalled minor settlements and only select settlements (race/national capital cities or settlements that are specifically fortresses or supposed to be heavily fortified) being unique walled settlements.

I can see why people are disappointed with the game at the moment I've not taken much time to play it recently, though I'll probably get back and have a look when the first major DLC or something comes out. Remains to be seen if the disappointing launch and drop in player interest and such sustains long-term development on this.

I certainly hope so at least, for all the problems it would be a big loving shame to abandon this, though they didn't abandon Rome 2 and kept working to make that a pretty damned good game over time IMO and that's despite the initial launch having pretty much made it a point of ridicule, but they did drop 3K for whatever reason despite a great launch (though with subsequent numbers falling off pretty hard I think and multiplayer being dead on arrival, but multiplayer while fun, has never has been an actual major selling point for Total War I think).

There's alot to be disapppointed about, and it remains to be seen what happens down the road is what my thoughts are.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 30, 2022

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

canada jezus posted:

Portals to go from continent to continent like a warp subway would be good in immortal empires

Yeah, I feel like there has to be some sort of mechanic to allow for this. I still relish the idea of sailing Black Arks west from Naggaroth to raid the coast of Cathay.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah at the very least we're getting Chorfs and a lord pack for every launch faction. After that who knows if the awful reception and bad word of mouth cuts support short. ATM I don't expect 3 to get supported half as long as 2 :(

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
*taps the roadmap*

no chorfs

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

You could even say there's nothing about chorfs

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would not assume anything.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Azran posted:

Yeah at the very least we're getting Chorfs and a lord pack for every launch faction. After that who knows if the awful reception and bad word of mouth cuts support short. ATM I don't expect 3 to get supported half as long as 2 :(

Consider how much support Troy got despite Reddit absolutely bricking itself. Consider how much support Rome 2 got.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I am fully convinced they cut off support for 3 kingdoms because I personally never bought dlc for it but maybe it was for other reasons

e: it was a good game, but I have had zero exposure to the characters and stories so I just missed my dinosaurs riding dinosaurs.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I made a jackass post about it awhile ago but WH3 did good up front sales and they're almost impossible to refund given how most PC gaming works now a days. So CA would likely truck forward and endure the beatings. Worse releases have done so and survived(Fallout 76, No Man's Sky) so Nerds Are Angry isn't actually a big concern. The average TWWH fan making GBS threads themselves with rage for 6 months won't matter if the money flows by Q4 2022 and they can line up 3-6 guaranteed DLC cash flows in 2023, 2024 and 2025.

What will actually tell is if DLC sales are bad this year. If that "Nothing" is a secret Chorfs release(it is a pretty conspicuous and obvious glaring error to make for an infographic and knowing the fanbase is hostile) and/or that 4 Lord Pack doesn't sell and there's not a surge of sales for the IE Beta.. possibly CA could offer less support if they start slamming down the content for cash and nobody bites.

I don't put much stock in angry nerd boycotts because of the history of such things so we'll see.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Doomykins posted:

What will actually tell is if DLC sales are bad this year. If that "Nothing" is a secret Chorfs release(it is a pretty conspicuous and obvious glaring error to make for an infographic and knowing the fanbase is hostile)

If CA releases a paid race DLC before blood pack and IE people are gonna flip out. And imagine if they used the same campaign mechanic.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I feel like most people complaining are still getting, like, 20+ hours of gameplay out of this Unplayable Game. Or much, much, more in some cases. I definitely don't enjoy it as much as WH2 and I wish it was better, but I'm still close to 40 hours played which is like 20 hours more than I get out of most games. And I know there is MORE stuff coming, eventually. So it's hard for me to be too upset.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Flip out my wallet

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Twigand Berries posted:

Flip out my wallet

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I feel like most people complaining are still getting, like, 20+ hours of gameplay out of this Unplayable Game. Or much, much, more in some cases. I definitely don't enjoy it as much as WH2 and I wish it was better, but I'm still close to 40 hours played which is like 20 hours more than I get out of most games. And I know there is MORE stuff coming, eventually. So it's hard for me to be too upset.

I think there's a big difference between buying a game and getting a great experience in 20 hours vs buying a game and playing it for 20 hours until your frustrations with it make you stop playing. Like yeah killing time is certainly something you can do with this game, but that's a pretty low standard to hold it to. I don't think the game's particularly unplayable anymore, but it's also not especially exciting for me, so I'm waiting to see if I enjoy it more once it's really complete instead of forcing myself to keep playing what still feels a bit like an early access build.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Siiiiiick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hog0mgwNp0

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Francis posted:

That's about all the nice things I can say about WH1 though. Game kinda sucked and WH2 very quickly became better than it. People acting like the game was unplayable before Potion of Speed are just delusional. Unlike the people saying the game was literally unplayable before Ikit fixed the Skaven. Those people are completely correct.

Skrolk with a plague monk doomstack with like 8 plagueclaws was one of the strongest stacks in vanilla TWW2. It wasn't quite as broken as Ikit bringing 16 weapon teams and some artillery, but it could still steamroll basically everything, and due to Skrolk's upkeep reductions basically cost nothing. Skrolk is an absolutely great lord with one of the best magic lores in the game, even if everyone forgets he exists now because he's not as much of a literal cheat code as the Skryre workshop or Moulder vats.

Queek was always weak and continued to be the weakest skaven lord until Tretch came out, and even then didn't get better, it's just that Tretch was worse. DLC did nothing for him.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

They're still hoping to launch the update sometime in May according to their discord. I'm curious to see if the AI can use the artillery pieces too or if it's player only for now

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

If i paid $60 to only get 20-40 hours out of a game i'm gonna come over to your house. I wouldn't pay $20 to get only 60 hours out of a game because game devs like that are garbage and should be lynched. This is the age of bespoke games that are supposed to last for years, your age is over lovely triple A titles with less than 100 hours of game play. Get in the bin.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

And lo, we have come full circle:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

There's a pretty big difference between people going insane over a faction being put in that they don't want and "the game is going to be missing the primary gameplay mode most people bought it for for a year after launch".

Like, yeah, you can go play TWW2 which is a great and complete product, but people paid for that experience in TWW3.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Kanos posted:

There's a pretty big difference between people going insane over a faction being put in that they don't want and "the game is going to be missing the primary gameplay mode most people bought it for for a year after launch".

Like, yeah, you can go play TWW2 which is a great and complete product, but people paid for that experience in TWW3.

Oh I don't disagree, I was just posting the meme. I probably should have communicated that better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL0fhH3w54c
If modders can do it then that means CA can do it, GET YOUR poo poo TOGETHER CA. I want matching animations for everything.