Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Is anyone here paying attention to the progress of tmodloader? Seems like every new release is new patreon sets and Steam version compatibility. In the absence of visible milestones, looking at recent commits my gut reaction is "there is a ton of work remaining".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

luchadornado posted:

Is anyone here paying attention to the progress of tmodloader? Seems like every new release is new patreon sets and Steam version compatibility. In the absence of visible milestones, looking at recent commits my gut reaction is "there is a ton of work remaining".

They announced that they felt ready for devs to get going on updating their mods, I think that's about as much info as we're likely to get. Stuff like Calamity is gonna take forever to get ready for 1.4

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

luchadornado posted:

quote:

We have some definite progress this month that you will want to check out - tML will be doing monthly previews starting in April... and an update on tML 1.4 timing. Want all of the details? Read on!

April has been a big month for tML and it's looking like May will be an even bigger month. Some major mods have started the port to tML 1.4, and they have provided valuable feedback in the process. We'll start May with a focus on a built-in mod porting tool, tModPorter (thanks to Chik3r and Tomat from the community!), which will automate small code changes which have to be made in thousands of places, reducing the amount of manual effort required from modders. We ask modders to keep an eye on tML development, come chat with us in the Discord, and start porting their mods to 1.4 to be ready for when tML 1.4 launches!

Sounds like progress is being made without any major roadblocks but they don't even mention a release, so it's probably at least half a year out.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I try to tell myself that they’re just enthusiasts and not the devs, and I’m an entitled poo poo, but gently caress man. It’s been like 2 years. The actual devs are gonna get out the labor of love thing before the mod loader hits parity.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

They are currently in a freeze to allow mods(mostly Calamity) to port. But they are headed by a bunch of people that keep wanting to rebuild the same stuff over and over. The only reason they even got to a freeze is a few people put their foot down so that the mod authors didn't give up trying to port.
I don't think it will be in a playable state for at least another 3 months, at best.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

well i ran into calamity music randomly on youtube and have the itch again

somebody recommend content mods or more obscure feature/qol mods to go along with calamity and dragonball and dragonball calamity

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Zereth posted:

well i ran into calamity music randomly on youtube and have the itch again

somebody recommend content mods or more obscure feature/qol mods to go along with calamity and dragonball and dragonball calamity

Try "The Stars Above." It's anime as gently caress, but it's not the cringy, skeevy type of anime. I quite enjoyed it when I did my last 1.3 Calamity run.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Valcione posted:

Try "The Stars Above." It's anime as gently caress, but it's not the cringy, skeevy type of anime. I quite enjoyed it when I did my last 1.3 Calamity run.
It was already loaded from the run before that run :v: Sadly none of the weapons were particularly useful when I was using DBZ ki attacks

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So it seems that Calamity 1.4 will be done soon...ish. From the TModLoader discord, the main coder of Calamity posted:

We are very close. I cannot give a date.

Today also marks the release of tmodloader 1.4 stable. Still needs work but I'm impressed. I also wouldn't be surprised if 'very close' for Calamity meant 'a couple of months' so calm your expectations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Once we get that and Fargo's Souls Mod I'll be ready.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Once we get that and Fargo's Souls Mod I'll be ready.

Fargo's mods are already updated.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1281930/view/3355757885625785395

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well that's good news.

Any non-calamity major content mods updated for 1.4? Thorium didn't turn up in a search, for one.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Right now the game is really stuttery. I grabbed about 32 different quality of life mods and set out to go on a Journey Mode rampage and the game's straight up unplayable. Approximately every 1.5 seconds, the game pauses for a split second. And it's extremely consistent with the timing.

I'm hoping that it's the mods I have installed, so I'd advise giving them some time to update to the latest version.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm gonna guess that a lot of the mods do weird poo poo on 1.4 and its going to be a crapshoot which of them get updated. Tmod 1.4 came out a lot earlier than I expected considering their previous updates though. This is pretty cool.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dis astranagant posted:

Fargo's mods are already updated.
Okay then I just need to wait for LuiAFK. :colbert:
I meant that as a joke but I just looked it up and apparently the modmaker behind LuiAFK fell off the face of the earth and no one knows who they were or any way to get in touch with them, so the mod's never going to be updated. That's mildly depressing in the way transient internet presences can be.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I meant that as a joke but I just looked it up and apparently the modmaker behind LuiAFK fell off the face of the earth and no one knows who they were or any way to get in touch with them, so the mod's never going to be updated. That's mildly depressing in the way transient internet presences can be.

That's the one that turned potions into passive items that work in your inventory right? I saw a "potion charms" mod which seemed similar. I think it hasn't been updated in a couple weeks, though so it wont' work right now.

Also it is irritating how the mod browser has to completely reload itself every time you download a mod. EDIT: and the installed mods list when you go to the configuration options for a mod. :negative: edit edit: wait, it saves your position when changing configs, but only if you actually changed something: huh.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 3, 2022

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

DoubleNegative posted:

Right now the game is really stuttery. I grabbed about 32 different quality of life mods and set out to go on a Journey Mode rampage and the game's straight up unplayable. Approximately every 1.5 seconds, the game pauses for a split second. And it's extremely consistent with the timing.

I'm hoping that it's the mods I have installed, so I'd advise giving them some time to update to the latest version.

fwiw I'm playing with about 40 QoL and content mods and everything works as normal with stable fps. So yeah maybe it's one of the mods specifically.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Zereth posted:

That's the one that turned potions into passive items that work in your inventory right? I saw a "potion charms" mod which seemed similar. I think it hasn't been updated in a couple weeks, though so it wont' work right now.

Also it is irritating how the mod browser has to completely reload itself every time you download a mod. EDIT: and the installed mods list when you go to the configuration options for a mod. :negative: edit edit: wait, it saves your position when changing configs, but only if you actually changed something: huh.

The mod browser just pulls from the steam workshop now for 1.4 which is incredible. Just use your web browser and forget the ingame browser: https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=1281930&browsesort=trend&section=readytouseitems

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The full Steam Workshop integration is such a gamechanger, my god.

Zereth posted:

It did a bunch of stuff, various quality of life improvements, auto house builders, instant subway/fishing pond/hellevator constructions, advanced liquid manipulation, one-click mob farming arenas that even filled in surrounding areas with solid blocks to focus spawns, stuff like that.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Well it looks we’re at a point where I can ask:

Post your mod lists! And maybe a description of what they do so everyone can looksee and build their own lists.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there a way to keep NPCs from opening a door to a room that you are in at night, short of making it a house and giving it to that NPC?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Just lock your NPCs away in well-appointed prison cells. For their own good.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Vib Rib posted:

There's always a little hope that somebody does some kind of unofficial update; it was a reasonably well-liked mod, so it's not inconceivable.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there a way to keep NPCs from opening a door to a room that you are in at night, short of making it a house and giving it to that NPC?
NPCs only wander around and open doors at night if they're not housed properly. Otherwise they just stand still in their room all night long. If they're having trouble finding their home you can leave (teleport, pylon, just walk a screen or so away until their icon on the map shifts) and come back.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Noob question: i just bought the game and I'm building some houses for NPCs. My friend told me I should build their houses spaced out but youtube guides usually have one tower with different rooms for NPCs. Is there some sort of advantage to spacing houses or is my friend just mistaken?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Noob question: i just bought the game and I'm building some houses for NPCs. My friend told me I should build their houses spaced out but youtube guides usually have one tower with different rooms for NPCs. Is there some sort of advantage to spacing houses or is my friend just mistaken?

So come 1.4 they put in overpopulation penalties for the NPCs. They also put in affinity between certain NPCs, usually someone attracted to someone and hating another person. Also some people like certain areas, like the Zoologist liking the forest. You can talk to people to get an idea if they are feeling too crowded and who they like/dislike. The teleport crystals were put in to help move around your towns if you try to separate things to keep people happy, it's also a good way to get shortcuts set up all around the overland. You can ignore this but there's pretty big merchant price hikes.

Earlier to 1.3 we just used NPC prison complexes/towers.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Kvlt! posted:

Before 1.4, it didn't matter at all, so most old stuff will show them all put together.

In 1.4, NPCs have a happiness level that slightly affects the prices they charge and whether they'll sell you biome teleportation totems. Putting too many NPCs in the same place reduces their happiness, and each NPC has their own biome preferences and their own preferences for which NPCs they want or don't want to be near.

So if you want to make use of the teleportation totems, the ideal is to build a bunch of small towns in different biomes across the world, each one with 2-3 NPCs tops. If you don't care about the totems, it doesn't really matter.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Spread (somewhat; there used to be a penalty for more than 3 within 25 tiles of each other and a bonus for 3 or fewer between 25 and 120 tiles, it's now a flat more than 3 within 120 blocks buff/nerf) is optimal for happiness, which scales buy/sell/service prices, and for the entire town not getting shellacked during an event once they start ignoring walls.
Clumped is optimal for not having to run all over to get things done, for not having gaps in the anti-spawn field they admit, and for planning and building passive defenses early enough in the game that they help.

Eventually, there's an extremely unwieldy-to-calculate but solved solution for where to ideally put them all, but it involves at least one set that doesn't get one of the teleporters unlocked by them. So again, convenience vs. prices.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you for the clarifications/help/advice everyone! I appreciate it

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
That's my next project, to design a world in tedit to basically make little self contained biomes of hallow/corruption etc with fishing spots and the proper NPCs but it feels daunting.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Because raw distance seems to be all that matters, you can have everyone happily living in a huge mega castle as long as you space out the room groups enough. Or even just some long hallways between them. So I've ended up with some strange furnished sky hallways branching off from my central crafting and storage. Until I start banishing people for biome teleportation ten feet above hell, ten feet away from the jungle temple, or a mushroom biome growing 100 feet below the entrance of the dungeon.

Having a lot of spare rooms just so people can spawn in the first place makes it easier to plan for your designer dream home later anyways.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 4, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Section Z posted:

Because raw distance seems to be all that matters, you can have everyone happily living in a huge mega castle as long as you space out the room groups enough. Or even just some long hallways between them. So I've ended up with some strange furnished sky hallways branching off from my central crafting and storage. Until I start banishing people for biome teleportation ten feet above hell, ten feet away from the jungle temple, or a mushroom biome growing 100 feet below the entrance of the dungeon.

Having a lot of spare rooms just so people can spawn in the first place makes it easier to plan for your designer dream home later anyways.

That's actually a great idea, I think I'm going to try and do that for my first run because I'd like to have a main base to come back to

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

If I want to set up a multiplayer server with mods, will it auto-download the relevant mods for players who connect or do they need to do that themselves?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Nighthand posted:

If I want to set up a multiplayer server with mods, will it auto-download the relevant mods for players who connect or do they need to do that themselves?
It's automatic! Very neat.

E:
My one hangup is that apparently the 1.4.4 update is coming soon and it's going to have a ton of quality of life improvements. I hope TModLoader catches up to it soon, since it shouldn't be nearly the hurdle 1.4 was from 1.3.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 4, 2022

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Dammit, I LIKED my NPC apartment building! :arghfist::saddowns:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

A lot of people did. I suspect we'll get a mod to remove the NPC Happiness system sooner or later.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's not really a huge detriment if you still wanna shove them in little cells, exclusive items cost slightly more and you can't use the pillars (which were added with the happiness system anyway).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
You can still do NPC apartment buildings in 1.4, you just need to make the apartment building much larger and more spacious - no more minimum sized shoebox cells crammed in the tiniest amount of space possible.

When I did my initial 1.4 playthrough I kept 90% of my NPCs in a big-rear end high rise building where they were all super happy and only moved the minimum amount of dudes to the various biomes to get the pylons going there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I like building little thematic houses in the various biomes, but it takes a while to get around to it. Specifically the desert is a pain the rear end until you get some better equipment.