Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Mister Beeg posted:

Arnold Roth is a cartoonist (still alive at 93 years). I met him few years back. Great guy

It just made me think of Arnold Rothstein, the man who fixed the World Series in 1919. That's even cooler.

And of course everybody likes clam dip, if only for the name

Fetch the memes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
And I'm going out and may be some time, so here's the Sunday Apt 3-G:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cats are noted for being extremely clean animals with a really strong sense of smell Holbrook, you dumb motherfucker.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Mind of Mrs. Drake

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Cats are noted for being extremely clean animals with a really strong sense of smell Holbrook, you dumb motherfucker.
also if it's strong enough that Kell gets mistaken for a prey species why doesn't the cat constantly have that problem

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm glad Jeremy is having a good time at prom

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It's true, the men's locker room at my office is right next to that stamp machine

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What’s the thing on the fork? A lemon?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Mary edition)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

I AM GRANDO posted:

What’s the thing on the fork? A lemon?

to help the guy salivate?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

drat that's good :lol:

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Mary, how many muffins do you need?

The Phantom

Well it's about time they...start this story?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Slightly out of order Saturday Apartment 3-G

Mercury Hat posted:

I haven't been following this strip and have no context for any of it and that last panel hit me like a truck.
It's the beginning of a new story so no one really knows what's happening yet.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

god drat it, now it's going to be a week of them chasing flies around the house. WHAT'S NEXT?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

gleebster posted:

And I'm going out and may be some time, so here's the Sunday Apt 3-G:

I see Bradley, and I imagine him in C&H:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

"Oops! I forgot to tell a joke!"

Which wouldn't be such a bad thing by itself, since Mark Trail is about the adventures of a nature guy and doesn't always need jokes, but apparently Jules thought this strip needed a joke and made an attempt to tell one, then just forgot how to do it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Funky WinkerohofCOURSE

Golly! I sure hope that cat is adopted by Lisa and lets her cry into its fur when she gets her cancer diagnosis!

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

This ugly baby needs to quit getting sick and/or injured. Knowing he's based on a real life baby (of unknown ugliness) makes me worry!

It is morally wrong to date or kiss a guy if you do not intend to marry him.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

There is a nonzero chance talking to the wrong sort of person for like a conversation would turn Bernice into an unstoppable tradcath nightmare, just this unyielding and merciless judgmental bundle of fascism and repression being catalyzed into hate. I don't want that to happen but she is extremely being written as someone who thinks they're too smart to fool and then doesn't vette the feminist group they join and the more people try to get her out of the well the deeper she burrows and I hate it, I hate Bernice, I hate Luann.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Julet Esqu posted:

Golly! I sure hope that cat is adopted by Lisa and lets her cry into its fur when she gets her cancer diagnosis!

This ugly baby needs to quit getting sick and/or injured. Knowing he's based on a real life baby (of unknown ugliness) makes me worry!

It is morally wrong to date or kiss a guy if you do not intend to marry him.

loving quakers are less prudish than this

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

That's not a radio tower, that's a roundabout.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Alhazred posted:

L-Innsikt

These are the nu-Nancy kids all grown up! Looking forward to the heroin arc

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Good on the colourist for knowing that giraffes have blue tongues. Nice attention to detail.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Dad's annoyed expression :allears:

Big Nate Year 1 (Apr 5-6, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jul 11, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 16-17, 1991)

No Blind Alley today

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Recurring original characters!? Multi-week storylines!? What is happening to Encyclopedia Brown?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Which wouldn't be such a bad thing by itself, since Mark Trail is about the adventures of a nature guy and doesn't always need jokes, but apparently Jules thought this strip needed a joke and made an attempt to tell one, then just forgot how to do it.
And that's Heart Of The City's job!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hostile V posted:

There is a nonzero chance talking to the wrong sort of person for like a conversation would turn Bernice into an unstoppable tradcath nightmare, just this unyielding and merciless judgmental bundle of fascism and repression being catalyzed into hate. I don't want that to happen but she is extremely being written as someone who thinks they're too smart to fool and then doesn't vette the feminist group they join and the more people try to get her out of the well the deeper she burrows and I hate it, I hate Bernice, I hate Luann.

I want to say you're projecting but the Evanses sexual politics are so conservative I can't see them not hanging out with or at least sympathizing with trad fucks.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate Year 1 (Apr 5-6, 1991)

Calvin has some redeeming characteristics. Hell, Greg Heffley has more redeeming characteristics than this absolute turd. How is this fucker supposed to be likeable

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Monya the Grey

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Evanses have had so many opportunities to show that, yes, this attitude is unhealthy and it's wrecking Bernice's life. Every time they walk it back to something like today where we see that the attitude is fine, really! It's Bernice's failure to stick to it that's causing anxiety and messing up her life! Natural human urges bad!

Like, Karen Moy knows that Wilbur is a smug hateable gently caress. She writes him that way on purpose. If I got the impression that Team Evans were writing Bernice this way on purpose, that would be different. But I get the impression that what they're going for is "a bit anxious, a bit too much of a perfectionist, a little bit annoying, but that's what makes her a fun character" and not, "deep personal issues that cause misery in herself and all around her"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 16-17, 1991)

I just love the "WAAUGHH! The whole yard's ice!" panel. :allears:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

The Evanses have had so many opportunities to show that, yes, this attitude is unhealthy and it's wrecking Bernice's life. Every time they walk it back to something like today where we see that the attitude is fine, really! It's Bernice's failure to stick to it that's causing anxiety and messing up her life! Natural human urges bad!

Like, Karen Moy knows that Wilbur is a smug hateable gently caress. She writes him that way on purpose. If I got the impression that Team Evans were writing Bernice this way on purpose, that would be different. But I get the impression that what they're going for is "a bit anxious, a bit too much of a perfectionist, a little bit annoying, but that's what makes her a fun character" and not, "deep personal issues that cause misery in herself and all around her"
Yeah, Bernice has no real character growth, she's just morphed into this bundle of anxiety that nobody really wants to loving address in the comic, they just let it rock and fester. Like I won't lie I am projecting a little bit, obviously Bernice is never going to down the dark path of that sort of poo poo, but how she is written is fundamentally unpleasant and fraught and the fact that it's supposed to be "just how she is" reminds me of a bunch of uncomfortable things from the real world.

But At Least Bernice Doesn't Kill And Eat People Because It's Fine Under Capitalism

Everybody knows everybody forever and that's a learning experience to not be racist anymore by apologizing to everyone, now shut up and eat your meat.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (November 28-30, 1931)

Toonerville Folks (February 20-22, 1919; spoilered for a racial gag)

Dok's Dippy Torrent (February 6, 1914)

Little Lefty, featuring capitalism's revenge against the proletariat. (July 3-5, 1936)

At least they put some clothes on this time.

Blondie (From Zero) (December 31, 1931-January 2, 1932)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (February 20-22, 1919; spoilered for a racial gag)

That one was real charming and open-minded until I got down to the caption.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "186 - Jucika's Hen"

"187 - Jucika And Work Discipline"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Bruceski posted:

Woof, yeah.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Shadow Feb 10-12, 1941

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

Ugggh :( what a downer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Oh racism, when will you ever stop being stupid and depressing?

And, on THAT note, in today's Blueberry: From the mouths of babes..., or Grant gets upset at his advisors, or I suspect that Singletone and Bupp are about to have
a very bad time...