Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kazinsal posted:

I actually laughed at a foob for once because the 2020s Canadian equivalent of that is hearing Nickelback on classic rock radio.

I was so angry when my Oldies station started playing REM. I'd known for a while that they'd drifted into the 80s, but that drove home I had to find a new station if I ever wanted to hear Aretha Franklin again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bruceski posted:

I was so angry when my Oldies station started playing REM. I'd known for a while that they'd drifted into the 80s, but that drove home I had to find a new station if I ever wanted to hear Aretha Franklin again.

I was flying back from CA a couple years ago and they had 3 classic movies for viewing: Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

https://youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Monya the Grey

I'm sure it's unimportant, Monya, don't worry about it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Air Fresheners Do Not Work That Way

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haifisch posted:

Locher Tracy
Keep all your lights on all night. This is the only way to be safe from burglars.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Some Guy TT posted:

I wanted you to know I just spent entirely too much time synching these up with the Little Lefty cartoons to post somewhere else because I thought the juxtaposition was very funny and was disappointed you hadn't been posting Banker and Butler this entire time to maximize the impact.

Excellent job, but did you share the proletariat's revenge yet?

Our Boarding House (November 24-26, 1921)

Toonerville Folks (February 17-19, 1919)

Dok's "Strong Persuader" Duck (February 5, 1914)

Little Lefty (June 30-July 2, 1936)

And yeah, skipping a day BECAUSE...

Blondie (From Zero) (December 28-30, 1931)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Monya the Grey loving rules, it's so compelling and I love this friendship.

Haraiso Days is okay, but I don't understand why he'd abandon the previous comic for it. I liked the atmosphere of that one a lot more and don't feel nearly as strongly about these characters.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

kidcoelacanth posted:

Haraiso Days is okay, but I don't understand why he'd abandon the previous comic for it. I liked the atmosphere of that one a lot more and don't feel nearly as strongly about these characters.
It could just be relative time spent with the characters, but yeah - I have to admit I don't like it quite as much (yet!) as Uramachi Sakaba. As for whys and wherefores, my guess is the magazine it's being published in wanted a new exclusive comic, and he just stayed very much in his wheelhouse for it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Apr 3-4, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jul 10, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 14-15, 1991)

This arc is SO LONG how do I not remember it!?

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "184 - Jucika Returns From Her Holiday"

"185 - Jucika's Harvest"

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Kazinsal posted:

I actually laughed at a foob for once because the 2020s Canadian equivalent of that is hearing Nickelback on classic rock radio.

I just like the name "Arnold Roth and the Clamdip Trio"

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I was flying back from CA a couple years ago and they had 3 classic movies for viewing: Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and Rocky Horror Picture Show.

The hell? Dick van Dyke wasn't in Rocky Horror.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

gleebster posted:

I just like the name "Arnold Roth and the Clamdip Trio"

Arnold Roth is a cartoonist (still alive at 93 years). I met him few years back. Great guy

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tiggum posted:

Keep all your lights on all night. This is the only way to be safe from burglars.

Tracy's crimestoppers tips are basically "You are in constant danger of Crime; you can mitigate the risk but Crime will get you eventually."

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
A Crime could be in your living room right now!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

This is precisely why I have a tendency to put the washed sheets right back on the bed rather than swap them out with another set.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Kazinsal posted:

I dunno, I think Lynn missed a real opportunity for a great Canadian sing-along.

(cf. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPqPOkK_gzU)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Sunday Special Feb 9, 1941

I'm not quite sure getting pistol whipped will become the treatment of choice, but ok, sure.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mister Beeg posted:

Arnold Roth is a cartoonist (still alive at 93 years). I met him few years back. Great guy

I don't know what's happening in that second one, but I like the art style. The first one appears to be surprisingly recent; this thread has trained me to expect to see cartoonists skills deteriorate into mush as they age.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 23, 2000)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I like that she kept the sunflower from the last comic, I figured it would have just been a one off gag

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 14-15, 1991)

This arc is SO LONG how do I not remember it!?

For whatever reason, Attack of the Mutant Killer Snow Goons or whatever it's called is the only one of the early annual books that didn't get collected in one of the treasuries (Authoritative/Indispensable/Essential Calvin & Hobbes) so for a long time the only way you'd encounter these strips was in the Snow Goons book or in syndication, maybe that's why? I know as a kid I got most of my Calvin and Hobbes from the three treasuries and the collections (10th anniversary, The Days are Just Packed, the other wide format ones) that came out after them.

I think these didn't get reprinted in any other books until the complete anthology came out in the early 2000s.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 30, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: ACAB, or Melvin has a bad day, or The mirror art-work is ASTOUNDING in these panels

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Julet Esqu posted:

I don't know what's happening in that second one, but I like the art style. The first one appears to be surprisingly recent; this thread has trained me to expect to see cartoonists skills deteriorate into mush as they age.
off-panel a gorilla beats up santa and dresses in his clothes before going up the chimney. on the roof it assaults the reindeer and fills santa's sack with bricks, which it then uses to destroy the city. meanwhile, a person comes home to discover a naked and unconscious santa beside a gorilla-sized hole in the wall but worse: they didn't get what they wanted for christmas.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

As sisters go, Erin is about as intimidating as it gets. She always gets the knife right between the ribs.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/29/02

Reruns over, back to the Bucky's Tooth Saga!

Double Collins

Brenda Starr 8/23-25/48

Smokey Stover 8/17/47

Everyday Movies 2/5/35

"As far as just walking through the streets is concerned I've seen enough of Havana. Let's go back to Sloppy Joe's."

For Americans, part of the appeal of Cuba as a vacation spot during Prohibition was being allowed to drink freely. That, combined with legal gambling, eventually attracted the Mafia.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 30, 2022

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 07, 1951)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why are the heirs of warring lords all so horny for each other anyway

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
"Adrian! Oh! My Adrian! The only boy my own age and social class for a hundred miles in any direction!"

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

I haven't been following this strip and have no context for any of it and that last panel hit me like a truck.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

If that isn't the best depiction of a real marriage in comics history, I don't know what could be.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 30, 2022

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Mister Beeg posted:

I kept zooming in on that last one, and every time there was more to love.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (May 3, 1975)

Funky WinkerohofCOURSE

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (September 19-21, 1938)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011