Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

was looking at the Canucks' roster and was thinking "man, that's a reasonably priced set of forwards. generally not bad players. decent goalie. quinn hughes. how is this team not better?"

...and then I looked at the rest of their defense and g o o d l o r d.

the myers/OEL contracts are extremely dark. not even sure what you do with that. pray there's another Hughes coming?

jim benning somehow thought those guys had positive value

Don't forget Poolman in there, although at least there's a chance he gets hot for a week somewhere around the trade deadline and someone takes him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
moritz seider is the first wings dman since Lidstrom in 2011 to have 50 or more points which just shows
A) how bad the wings dmen have been for a decade
and
B) how good he is given the talent around him

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you have an Athletic sub, Charlie O'Connor wrote a moratorium on not just the season but the "flyers culture" mentality in general. Absolutely shredded them.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Oh I love reading a good takedown.

It's incredible that so many billion-dollar sports franchises are run so incompetently.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Man that is a brutal read

Loved it! :v:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I don’t have a sub but I can imagine it goes something along the lines of the Flyers are dogshit garbage.

Injuries ravaged this team for sure. However, their systems felt so bad and slow compared to every other team. The power play was atrocious, penalty kill the same.

Unless they make a big move in the off-season to replace Giroux’s level this team will suck again

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

A big offseason criticism of the CBJ was "Who's going to score for Columbus?".

quote:

The Blue Jackets, with the three goals Friday, have also set a franchise record this season for the most goals scored in a season. They finished this season with 258 goals, surpassing the 2018-19 club (256).

The 2018-19 team is still the last team to eliminate the Lightning in the Playoffs.

quote:

When Danforth scored in the second period Friday — his 10th of the season — it gave the Blue Jackets 12 players with 10 or more goals this season, matching the 2016-17 club for the most in franchise history.

Four 20+ goal scorers (Bjorkstrand, Laine, Jenner, Roslovic), plus a rookie with 16 (Sillinger).

quote:

He had two assists Friday, giving him one of the more unique scoring lines you’ll see from a forward: 6-56-62 in 79 games.

The last NHL forward to have more than 60 points, but fewer than 10 goals, was none other than Wayne Gretzky, who had 9-53-62 for the New York Rangers in 1998-99, the final season of his career...

...First, it gave Voracek 56 assists this season, the second-highest figure in franchise history. Artemi Panarin still owns the mark with 59 assists (2018-19).

Too bad they set another record this year:

quote:

As noted a couple of weeks ago in this space, the Blue Jackets have allowed more goals this season than in any previous season. The final tally was 297 goals, a whopping 21 more goals than they allowed during the 2005-06 season (276), which was the previous record.

So yeah, let's work on that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Miller looked like he would've shattered his stick against the glass had he been any closer to it when he got denied in OT. That was painful to watch.

Even more painful was the literally three full intermission segments attempting to rewrite Kane's past and paint him as a passionate family guy who just cares so much because he's been good for the Oilers. Like there was a whole thing sharing instagram photos of him with his daughter than just casually didn't mention the accusations against him and the fact he skipped her birth to gamble in Europe.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm guessing several teams probably logged their highest goals scored and goals allowed since 2001 this year?

Looking over Jackets history, they have finished higher than 4th only twice ever: 2005-06 (3rd, didn't make the playoffs) and 2016-17 (3rd, crushed in the first round).

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 30, 2022

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/1520035100292960256?s=21&t=kh1VdIdc_zOuQzCM6ffl7w

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

drat, that's like a wholesome kids book :unsmith:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Good soup! posted:

drat, that's like a wholesome kids book :unsmith:

First thought was "this looks a whole lot like The Hockey Sweater." I guess it's in that Canadian parochial style distinctly influenced by the Group of Seven.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/JHallNBCS/status/1520440532899667968?t=8-nDGhmT60QZaKwwg5TdWw&s=19

A few years ago I thought he would be the next team captain

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
We did it, woooo

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Blashill's fired. Hardly surprising

That response sounds fine, that's a trap question and hockey media should be treated with total disdain

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Deuces!

https://twitter.com/m_bultman/status/1520463362945130497

e: oh I've been beaten several times over, post a dang tweet next time

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 30, 2022

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Steve you need to march into Chris Illitch's office yacht, look him straight in the eye, and say "We're hiring Sergei Fedorov as coach and retiring #91 at the home opener" or I will no longer respect you as an executive or as a man

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

tinstaach posted:

Deuces!

https://twitter.com/m_bultman/status/1520463362945130497

e: oh I've been beaten several times over, post a dang tweet next time
Time for Mike Babcock's return to the NHL!

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Blashill's fired. Hardly surprising

That response sounds fine, that's a trap question and hockey media should be treated with total disdain

This is a true statement.

Provorov had a terrible season. Also a true statement

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

was looking at the Canucks' roster and was thinking "man, that's a reasonably priced set of forwards. generally not bad players. decent goalie. quinn hughes. how is this team not better?"

...and then I looked at the rest of their defense and g o o d l o r d.

the myers/OEL contracts are extremely dark. not even sure what you do with that. pray there's another Hughes coming?

The Canucks got career-best seasons from Miller, Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes, Garland, and Demko, went 32-15-10 under Boudreau and somehow ended up with a +13 goal differential on the year, and still managed to miss the playoffs because they simply couldn't kill a penalty to save their lives in the first half of the season.

But it doesn't matter because the most important thing that could happen did happen, and that is the fact that Jim Benning is finally gone.

As for praying another Hughes is coming, the Canucks basically need Jack Rathbone to become a quality NHLer. Because aside from him, they have no prospects.

goldrush fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 30, 2022

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Agreed, I don't think any answer Provorov could give would ever satisfy them, particularly the dumbass Philly writers.

I'm sure he already knows how absolutely loving terrible it has been at this point though lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Good soup! posted:

Agreed, I don't think any answer Provorov could give would ever satisfy them, particularly the dumbass Philly writers.

I'm sure he already knows how absolutely loving terrible it has been at this point though lol

https://twitter.com/nhlflyers/status/1520488841404162049

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

goldrush posted:

The Canucks got career-best seasons from Miller, Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes, Garland, and Demko, went 32-15-10 under Boudreau and somehow ended up with a +13 goal differential on the year, and still managed to miss the playoffs because they simply couldn't kill a penalty to save their lives in the first half of the season.

But it doesn't matter because the most important thing that could happen did happen, and that is the fact that Jim Benning is finally gone.

As for praying another Hughes is coming, the Canucks basically need Jack Rathbone to become a quality NHLer. Because aside from him, they have no prospects.

there is actually a sensible trade to make between the Rangers and the Canucks. the Rangers have Miller/Schneider/Lundkvist/Jones, but there's really not room for all four of them. Miller took a big step up now and he's 6'5" and an insane skater, so I doubt he'd be on the board for anyone short of like an Eichel trade, and even then, I would doubt it. Schneider looks good, but his analytics are not so great a lot of games (I mean, he does play with Nemeth), but he's another one that I think they over-value because of his size.

Which leaves Jones and Lundkvist. Lundkvist should almost certainly be traded since the right side of the defense looks like Fox-Trouba-Schneider. The left side is Lindgren-Miller-Nemeth, but I would imagine they try and jettison Nemeth and get some other left-handed veteran in to play with Schneider instead of going super young and doing Jones-Schneider (which I think would actually be a fantastic third pair).

Lundkvist had a little harder time adjusting to the NHL in his first year than RAS hoped, but he was paired with Nemeth almost 100% of the time. He dominated the SHL and is still our best prospect. Jones should have made the team out of camp--he looked better than both Lundkvist and Miller--but he's pretty small, so they thought he needed more seasoning. He led UMass to a national title, and he looks great every time he's out there, so I think it's another case of ~small defenseman syndrome~.

I dunno what the right trade would be, but the Rangers will need a center and probably some wing depth depending on what happens to Strome/Copp/Kravtsov/Vatrano. dunno if giving up Lundkvist and Jones would be a good thing for an about-to-be-UFA center like Horvat/Miller for either side, but there's gotta be some type of trade there. too bad Garland can't play center. I think his contract is great.

e: sicko mode in me says Lundkvist/Jones/Kravtsov/or picks for Horvat and Miller both at 50% retained. Rangers go all-in next year and Canucks punt on the season and get a defense pair and a good/petulant young Russian. Gotta believe Horvat and Miller might be gone, so might as well trade them this summer, no? two years after the summer, Myers will be gone and Petersson/Hughes/Demko/Boeser/Garland/etc. are still young.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 30, 2022

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
N: https://twitter.com/BrianHedger/status/1520453893674704896?t=Rtuhpd6FSCjI2_x9zzu-2A&s=19

V: This is absolutely heartbreaking and also raises the question as to if he's just opening up about this now, or if it's something he brought up with the Jackets and the Jackets went, "we're firing the god drat cannon"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

A multilayered problem :confused: the hell is going on lol

The amount of people on the Flyers that have been injured and then subsequently reinjured and out for extended periods makes me think that the medical team needs a serious overhaul as well. It's not just about winning games at that point, you're loving with people's livelihoods and poo poo

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
canucks are trading miller for lafreniere and the rangers 1st

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

heehee posted:

you coulda convinced a decent size chunk of the Rangers' fanbase that that we should to that prior to the season and even a bit into this season. but he's been playing very well and ended up with almost 20 ES goals. I think he'll be fine. Kakko, too. valuable young wingers.

however, I'm kinda curious why more teams don't do crazy sign-and-trade deals for stuff like that. I wouldn't want to do that trade because Miller is going to cost like 7-9mil to keep after next season. but if he cost like $3.5-4m because the Canucks sign-and-traded him retaining 50% salary for 4 years or something silly? still probably no. but they should look to do crazy poo poo like that IMO while they still have the Myers/OEL contracts on the books. they got time

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Kahkonen having some fun
https://twitter.com/Sheng_Peng/status/1520481990415314944

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Good soup! posted:

A multilayered problem :confused: the hell is going on lol

The amount of people on the Flyers that have been injured and then subsequently reinjured and out for extended periods makes me think that the medical team needs a serious overhaul as well. It's not just about winning games at that point, you're loving with people's livelihoods and poo poo

They’ve been poisoning their training staff for years, I’d not be surprised if doing recovery treatments next to the Zamboni also had negative impacts.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

heehee posted:

Absolutely not.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

N: https://twitter.com/umichhockey/status/1520488339513778176

V: :laffo:

Other CBJ nuggets, one notable especially in light of Flyera chat:

https://twitter.com/JacketsInsider/status/1520420100922355712
https://twitter.com/JacketsInsider/status/1520435605578129408

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm happy for voracek and happier that it appears the Atkinson trade has worked out

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Yaya posted:

N: https://twitter.com/BrianHedger/status/1520453893674704896?t=Rtuhpd6FSCjI2_x9zzu-2A&s=19

V: This is absolutely heartbreaking and also raises the question as to if he's just opening up about this now, or if it's something he brought up with the Jackets and the Jackets went, "we're firing the god drat cannon"

https://twitter.com/SethRorabaugh/status/1520485572539830272?s=20&t=0Nw7SVKzFgXc4ta8-9HK_Q

Elvis is a good dude. Still feel awful about that whole situation.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Athletic did a lookback on the Seth Jones trade: https://theathletic.com/3277194/2022/04/28/analyzing-blackhawks-blue-jackets-trade/

Speaking of hindsight, the numbers for the pieces in the PLD/Laine trade are a thing:

With WPG:
-PLD- 121GP 36-43-79

With CBJ:
-Laine- 101GP 36-41-77
-Roslovic- 129GP 34-45-79

Pretty remarkable they all landed within two goals and points of each other. The only real difference is the number of games in which Patty did it.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Athletic did a lookback on the Seth Jones trade: https://theathletic.com/3277194/2022/04/28/analyzing-blackhawks-blue-jackets-trade/

Speaking of hindsight, the numbers for the pieces in the PLD/Laine trade are a thing:

With WPG:
-PLD- 121GP 36-43-79

With CBJ:
-Laine- 101GP 36-41-77
-Roslovic- 129GP 34-45-79

Pretty remarkable they all landed within two goals and points of each other. The only real difference is the number of games in which Patty did it.

glad to see Laine doing well, even if it's in my division. he's a fun player. i know PLD is good but I was still surprised to see Laine being the one that was with another player in the deal.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

you coulda convinced a decent size chunk of the Rangers' fanbase that that we should to that prior to the season and even a bit into this season. but he's been playing very well and ended up with almost 20 ES goals. I think he'll be fine. Kakko, too. valuable young wingers.

Miller would've lead the Rangers in points this year. That includes Artemi Panarin. I can't believe I'm saying this but he might be genuinely underrated league wide.

If the absolute best the Canucks could do in a Miller trade was Lundvkist and a 1st, I'd just resign him for 8x$9m and take the risk.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 30, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

there is actually a sensible trade to make between the Rangers and the Canucks. the Rangers have Miller/Schneider/Lundkvist/Jones, but there's really not room for all four of them.

My sources are telling me Miller for Miller, straight up, E4.

Also we're not hearing enough about how great of a season Kyle Connor McDavid had - 90G, 125A, 215P, tying Gretzky's all-time best season (short on goals, admittedly).

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

I don’t like Columbus, but I like Elvis - I was just thinking about that Guentzel moment from yesterdays game.

I’d be curious what conversations were made about the cannon - it’s a part of the teams identity, but given what happened over the summer (and especially given how Elvis has admitted it affected him), it seems a little tone deaf to have it go off virtually every home game.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I bet some people don't know that the Krakens and Jets are playing a meaningless game tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Zaroff posted:

I’d be curious what conversations were made about the cannon - it’s a part of the teams identity, but given what happened over the summer (and especially given how Elvis has admitted it affected him), it seems a little tone deaf to have it go off virtually every home game.

I hate that drat cannon so much.

*thousand yard stare*