Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i'm in a post Outer Wilds slump, that game really resonated with me and it's been hard to find anything similar to immerse myself in since. what would yall recommend to try out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

i'm in a post Outer Wilds slump, that game really resonated with me and it's been hard to find anything similar to immerse myself in since. what would yall recommend to try out?

have you played Disco Elysium?

it's not really the same but it has enough in common with it as a mystery story while also being brilliant on its own merits that it might be worth a look

alternatively, try out any of Ice Pick Lodge's games -- particularly The Void and whichever version of Pathologic is currently the best mix of "complete" and "playable by mere mortals." way less loving polished but comparable in terms of being games that hide incredibly important facts from you and which recontextualize everything when you finally catch up

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

have you played Disco Elysium?

I haven't, and I'm not sure why to be honest. What little I know about it feels like it's not going to be for me, but that's also why I didn't player Outer Wilds for the longest time and I was very wrong.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Getting some details on what about it resonated with you could help, but you could check out Heaven's Vault and Sable, since they both involve snooping around in space ruins. Heaven's Vault has some mysteries to solve which require you to decipher the lost language of an ancient civilization, while Sable is much more laid back and you can explore a large desert planet at your leisure. Sable's a bit buggy, though, or at least it was when I played it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Are there any tank games out there than handle like World of Tanks, but singleplayer?

To clarify exactly what I'm looking for -- the moment to moment gameplay of WoT has a fairly detailed¹ world model, taking into account ammo types, hit location and angle, damage modeling for different subsystems of the tank, crew composition and experience, gun traverse speed limits, etc. However, the actual controls are very straightforward; there's zero attempt made to emulate the ~realistic tank commander experience~, it's just WASD to move, mouse to aim and fire, number keys to select ammo types or activate limited-use equipment.

That specific combination of high-fidelity simulation underlying simple, accessible controls is very much my poo poo -- it's what appealed to me about the original Wing Commander games, for example -- but it also seems pretty hard to find. I've had a bit of a look but most tank games seem to either take the Battlezone approach of having simple controls with very arcadey sim, or the DCS approach of "we have lovingly recreated every switch and button in these two specific models of tank, and you'd better know what each one of them does".

And while I could just play more WoT, I'd like something that scratches that itch that isn't embedded in a grindy free-to-play multiplayer-only hellscape.

¹ No idea how accurate it is, but it's got lots of greebles and bits that lend it versimilitude, which is sufficient for me

SexyBlindfold posted:

Getting some details on what about it resonated with you could help, but you could check out Heaven's Vault and Sable, since they both involve snooping around in space ruins. Heaven's Vault has some mysteries to solve which require you to decipher the lost language of an ancient civilization, while Sable is much more laid back and you can explore a large desert planet at your leisure. Sable's a bit buggy, though, or at least it was when I played it.

Seconding the rec for Heaven's Vault, and they might also want to check out Return of the Obra Dinn, which has a similar "slowly putting the pieces of what happened together from a bunch of different angles" vibe.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 30, 2022

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

There's Panzer Knights, which is fine. I think the Girls und Panzer games are meant to be alright too. Can't think of any with World of Tanks' specific style plus a decent damage model without anime though.

For older stuff, Panzer Elite is actually still pretty good but you have a few extra buttons to switch seats. You can control everything from the commander's seat, but that'll leave the gunner on auto-aim. You can also switch to the gunner seat just for taking shots. Decent mods too to add more campaigns and theatres.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

There's Panzer Knights, which is fine. I think the Girls und Panzer games are meant to be alright too. Can't think of any with World of Tanks' specific style plus a decent damage model without anime though.

For older stuff, Panzer Elite is actually still pretty good but you have a few extra buttons to switch seats. You can control everything from the commander's seat, but that'll leave the gunner on auto-aim. You can also switch to the gunner seat just for taking shots. Decent mods too to add more campaigns and theatres.

I'm not invested in WoT's visual style, just its gameplay, so some anime is fine (although being a mobile-only gacha game rules out Girls und Panzer). Why are all of these games obsessed with playing as the Nazis though :psyduck:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm looking for games available on PC where you explore inside huge ancient ruins. Breath of the Wild's shrines, early Tomb Raiders and the latter parts of Abzu all gave me this feeling. Tunic came close but the fixed perspective made it harder to enjoy the sense of scale.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Party Boat posted:

I'm looking for games available on PC where you explore inside huge ancient ruins. Breath of the Wild's shrines, early Tomb Raiders and the latter parts of Abzu all gave me this feeling. Tunic came close but the fixed perspective made it harder to enjoy the sense of scale.

Subnautica
Hyper Light Drifter
Rain World

Horizon Zero Dawn technically counts and is a great game but the ruins are the weakest part, it's a game that shines in the unstructured parts and that usually means wilderness. There are a few scenes where you, like, see a dead machine the size of an entire mountain and then you go climb it, though, so if you're okay with spectacle and gameplay not always happening simultaneously it might still be worth it.

I almost rattled off a shitload of metroidvanias but a lot of them seem almost self-evident and/or wouldn't necessarily evoke the same feeling of being dwarfed by something lonely and ancient. Like Hollow Knight and Ori and the Blind Forest both have a lot of ruin exploration but the environments are very gamified -- it doesn't matter if it's a ruin or an inhabited community or wilderness, it's all the same platforming under the hood and the platforming comes first -- and also both of those games do some goofy things with scale to allow for the fact that you're bugs / animals, respectively.

Conversely my top three picks are all about communicating "this space was not designed for you," even if it is largely an illusion.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 30, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Party Boat posted:

Outer Wilds
Hollow Knight
La-Mulana
SteamWorld Dig 2
Tunic
any of the Ys games
Guacamelee

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Party Boat posted:

Bit old-school but Marathon 2 and Marathon: Infinity are both very good at evoking loneliness and melancholy as you explore ancient ruins and structures. Despite being shooters the pacing's pretty slow (at least compared to their contemporaries) and there are good stretches where you're not even fighting all that much, just exploring these long-abandoned, overgrown remains of civilization.

Amid Evil gave me some similar vibes if you're looking for something more recent.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Subnautica
Hyper Light Drifter
Rain World

Horizon Zero Dawn

Hollow Knight and Ori and the Blind Forest

Thanks for the suggestions - I played a tiny bit of Subnautica ages ago, I'm not a huge survival game guy but if it's got ancient ruins I might give it another go.

I've also played (and enjoyed) everything else you mentioned apart from Rain World. It's a game that I thought looked really cool but I heard it was really punishing to the point of being unfun for a lot of people.

Hwurmp posted:

La-Mulana

any of the Ys games
Guacamelee

Thanks, I've not played these ones so I'll give them a look.

Sway Grunt posted:

Bit old-school but Marathon 2 and Marathon: Infinity are both very good at evoking loneliness and melancholy as you explore ancient ruins and structures. Despite being shooters the pacing's pretty slow (at least compared to their contemporaries) and there are good stretches where you're not even fighting all that much, just exploring these long-abandoned, overgrown remains of civilization.

Amid Evil gave me some similar vibes if you're looking for something more recent.

Old school isn't a problem as long as I can get it running, thanks!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Party Boat posted:

Thanks for the suggestions - I played a tiny bit of Subnautica ages ago, I'm not a huge survival game guy but if it's got ancient ruins I might give it another go.

You can turn off hunger and thirst. I kept them because I do like survival games but they aren't essential to the story the game is trying to tell.

Party Boat posted:

I've also played (and enjoyed) everything else you mentioned apart from Rain World. It's a game that I thought looked really cool but I heard it was really punishing to the point of being unfun for a lot of people.

Rain World is a moderately difficult game, but it's... how to put this.

It's not so much that it's hard. It's that it's actively trying to convey the fact that the player is weak and soft and the world is dangerous. It's a game about being a pack animal from the middle of the food chain who is alone and starving. You're going to feel too slow, too vulnerable, and too ineffective in combat basically all the time -- but that's the point, and the game isn't actually ever going to ask you to perform some incredible feat of combat or platforming mastery. It's mostly just exploration, awareness, and patience.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 30, 2022

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You can turn off hunger and thirst. I kept them because I do like survival games but they aren't essential the story the game is trying to tell.

That's made me significantly more likely to try it again, thanks. Might even try the VR mode.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I would suggest La-Mulana. It's a 2D Metroidvania in the style of old MSX games, so it's kind of a dick.
However, as far as puzzle games go it's nearly unparalleled. You are given hints on little graves in all the locations and it's up to you to discover what to do and how to proceed.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

ToxicFrog posted:

Are there any tank games out there than handle like World of Tanks, but singleplayer?

To clarify exactly what I'm looking for -- the moment to moment gameplay of WoT has a fairly detailed¹ world model, taking into account ammo types, hit location and angle, damage modeling for different subsystems of the tank, crew composition and experience, gun traverse speed limits, etc. However, the actual controls are very straightforward; there's zero attempt made to emulate the ~realistic tank commander experience~, it's just WASD to move, mouse to aim and fire, number keys to select ammo types or activate limited-use equipment.

That specific combination of high-fidelity simulation underlying simple, accessible controls is very much my poo poo -- it's what appealed to me about the original Wing Commander games, for example -- but it also seems pretty hard to find. I've had a bit of a look but most tank games seem to either take the Battlezone approach of having simple controls with very arcadey sim, or the DCS approach of "we have lovingly recreated every switch and button in these two specific models of tank, and you'd better know what each one of them does".

And while I could just play more WoT, I'd like something that scratches that itch that isn't embedded in a grindy free-to-play multiplayer-only hellscape.

¹ No idea how accurate it is, but it's got lots of greebles and bits that lend it versimilitude, which is sufficient for me

Seconding the rec for Heaven's Vault, and they might also want to check out Return of the Obra Dinn, which has a similar "slowly putting the pieces of what happened together from a bunch of different angles" vibe.

War thunder has a PVE gamemode

Sprocket is solely single player but you’ll have to design your own tanks and it’s in EA right now / pretty light on actual gameplay

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

War thunder has a PVE gamemode

Sprocket is solely single player but you’ll have to design your own tanks and it’s in EA right now / pretty light on actual gameplay

WoT also has a PvE gamemode, but it's (a) not great and (b) still requires you do all the grindy F2P stuff to unlock the tanks you use in it. And they're still just arena battles, there's no overarching campaign or anything. Does WT's PvE have more meat on it?

Sprocket I already have wishlisted. :v:

E: Looking at Panzer Knights again it really does look like the kind of thing I'm looking for, except it also looks like the developers either completely bought into the Clean Wehrmacht myth or really like war crimes and either way I'm more than bit uncomfortable buying and playing it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Germany had cooler tanks, and any tank game you play is going to be about cool tanks. There isn't really more to it than that.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

There's very few tank games that don't have some sort of WW2 aesthetic, either "clean" or not. Especially not the more simulation/realistic once, as they usually have a historical setting or want to model irl tanks. I'm not defending it or anything, just saying if that's a problem for you (and that's understandable) then itll be tough.

Modern tanks are incredibly lethal compared to WW2 ones, so for a game designer you either have to sacrifice realness (use made up tanks or de-lethalize modern ones) which pisses off a lot of the grog/hardcore dudes, or model real tanks.

The obvious question is why not model WW2 tanks but just take off the Nazi symbolism. I don't know why they don't do that tbh.

And as said above, Germany had the coolest/best tanks and Rommel was one of the greatest tank commanders, so the Patton/Rommel era tanks are used a lot.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

• Shadow of the Colossus
  • The Assassin's Creed series might surprise you, because in a lot of the games, even though it's set in the past, a number of the games still take place in places that were old and have ruins in them from thousands of years ago. There's a lot of ruins from long ago in Odyssey and Origins, but I think Brotherhood has the most since it's set in Rome long after the empire fell.
  • By the same token, Shadow of Mordor, although it's less clear how much is ruins of something from long ago and how much is just poor orc engineering
  • Depending on your definition of ruin, the Sniper Elite series has a lot of it taking place in recently vacated towns under nazi occupation
  • Jedi Fallen Order has both old and new ruins
  • Bastion
  • Dark Souls
  • Rime
  • Journey
  • Far Lone Sails/Changing Tides
  • The Metro series

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I think it depends on what in particular resonated with you in Outer Wilds. If you like exploration, try Subnautica, if you like just the physical experience of flying around trying to get to the next bit, maybe Grow Home, and if you like weird puzzles, I guess The Witness?

There are a bunch of time loop games out there now, but none of them are particularly like Outer Wilds at all.

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm not invested in WoT's visual style, just its gameplay, so some anime is fine (although being a mobile-only gacha game rules out Girls und Panzer). Why are all of these games obsessed with playing as the Nazis though :psyduck:

I think there are just people who really like German engineering for whatever reason.

Although if the thing were called "Girls and Sherman" or "Girls and Lee" it would sound more like a harem thing than a weird tank enthusiast show.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Panzer also is just German for armor/tank. Modern German tank divisions are still called Panzer divisions.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

And as said above, Germany had the coolest/best tanks and Rommel was one of the greatest tank commanders, so the Patton/Rommel era tanks are used a lot.

There is an incredibly persistent myth that WW2 Germany had the coolest/best tanks, because they had big numbers (big guns, thick armor, etc). But their actual operational track record was often quite terrible. Transmissions that break down every 100km of driving, and that require removing all of the machinery from the tank to replace. That kind of thing.

ToxicFrog: you might check out Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnought? It's a boats game, not a tank game, but I understand it has pretty good attention to detail of the type you're looking for. Buuut I also understand that its PvE is all arena battles.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There is an incredibly persistent myth that WW2 Germany had the coolest/best tanks, because they had big numbers (big guns, thick armor, etc). But their actual operational track record was often quite terrible. Transmissions that break down every 100km of driving, and that require removing all of the machinery from the tank to replace. That kind of thing.

ToxicFrog: you might check out Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnought? It's a boats game, not a tank game, but I understand it has pretty good attention to detail of the type you're looking for. Buuut I also understand that its PvE is all arena battles.

I agree, but as you said: there's a persistent myth, so developers are going to give ppl what they want.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
This reminds me of the Battlezone remakes I never got around to playing. I should get on top of that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cool isn't like an objective fact that can be right or wrong, although I think probably all the big numbers and fancy engineering that would break down would probably look cooler to most enthusiasts than something that just works and is easy to repair and has strong logistical support. Especially since most nerds learning about tanks would not have to actually deal with a tank's practical issues themselves.

There's a whole baroque aesthetic to overcomplicated things that some people really go for, and that kind of aesthetic rewards people for going through the effort to work through a nightmarish amount of details, which I think a lot of nerds would appreciate.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Germany had cooler tanks, and any tank game you play is going to be about cool tanks. There isn't really more to it than that.

"Germany had cooler tanks", I say, as my Panther grinds to a halt and shits out its third mangled transmission of the week. In the distance I can hear a pack of T-34s closing in, following the trail of hosed up spur gears my formation leaves behind.

Kvlt! posted:

There's very few tank games that don't have some sort of WW2 aesthetic, either "clean" or not. Especially not the more simulation/realistic once, as they usually have a historical setting or want to model irl tanks. I'm not defending it or anything, just saying if that's a problem for you (and that's understandable) then itll be tough.

The obvious question is why not model WW2 tanks but just take off the Nazi symbolism. I don't know why they don't do that tbh.

Yeah, like, it doesn't bother me in WoT because (a) it's all completely divorced from historical context, they've just taken hundreds of tanks spanning decades of history and dropped them into a giant tanking katamari and (b) even the WW2-era German tanks aren't flying swastikas and crewed by NPCs shouting "glory to the reich!". To the extent that it has an implied story at all, it's game about people using the contents of a tank museum to stage live-fire demolition derbies.

If you want to make a game about piloting German tanks but aren't a giant Wehraboo, you can do something completely ahistorical, and if you really want WW2 specifically, you can come up with an excuse to put an Allied or Soviet tanker in a captured PzIV or Tiger or something. Making the player character specifically be Lt. Anime McWarcrimes sends a message.

I'm specifically looking for (a) tanks and (b) singleplayer with some sort of campaign, not just arena battles. Sorry.

LordSloth posted:

This reminds me of the Battlezone remakes I never got around to playing. I should get on top of that.

Like, Battlezone 1/2, the Activision games about driving hovertanks around on the moon fighting space soviets (and, in bz2, an alien invasion)? Those games were fun as hell and still hold up pretty well today. Not really what I'm looking for here (the sim layer isn't crunchy enough, you just have an HP bar and that's it) but I enjoyed them a lot.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 30, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I think it also just doesn't bother the average person that much (which isn't to say I'm saying your opinions are wrong or not valid, to be perfectly clear). People have been playing as Nazis in videogames in massive franchises like CoD for decades, so a tank game designer probably doesn't care unless they're particularly politically conscious.

In addition the % people buying tank games is probably much higher in Wehrahboos than people who want German tanks without the symbolism, so they're going to make the game that nets them more $$$.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

I think it also just doesn't bother the average person that much (which isn't to say I'm saying your opinions are wrong or not valid, to be perfectly clear). People have been playing as Nazis in videogames in massive franchises like CoD for decades, so a tank game designer probably doesn't care unless they're particularly politically conscious.

In addition the % people buying tank games is probably much higher in Wehrahboos than people who want German tanks without the symbolism, so they're going to make the game that nets them more $$$.

Yeah I think I may just not have a good calibration for how much people are ok playing as the Nazis? Like, I've never played CoD, I think the only games I've played that were set during WW2 at all were Silent Storm, Wolfenstein (2009), and The Saboteur. The latter two don't even have an option to play on the Axis side and in the former the Axis campaign is like, a third as long as the Allied one and clearly an afterthought. The extent of my knowledge of depictions of WW2 in video games are basically those + jokes about how Nazis are a favourite enemy of video game designers because they're unambiguously human but no-one feels bad about shooting them.

This is also probably a bit fresher in my mind than usual because my last nonfiction read was coincidentally about WW2, and it spent a lot of pages discussing how knowledgeable of, and complicit in, German industry and the Wehrmacht were regarding the SS's crimes. (The answer turns out to be "a whole lot", unsurprisingly.)

And like...I'm not saying that these games shouldn't be made, but I don't really want to play them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
If you're going to recommend a game that has Nazis in it you should state that. I realize for a lot of people playing as the Germans in WWII games should at least imply that but not everyone is up on the history of Nazi's and WWII. Same for slavery as well. There are certainly games a lot of people wouldn't be comfortable playing and it would be kind of sad to get a recommendation for a game you couldn't stomach.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

World War 2 probably has more presence in videogames and movies than any other war, and a lot of that content is going to just kinda skim over the political aspects of it, for better or worse.

That said, pretty sure Girls Und Panzer doesn't have any explicit nazis, it's just a weird fictional high school where they have WW2 tanks.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Personally I immediately quit out of any match of Battlefield V if I get put on the German team, and I make sure everyone knows I do this.

Look, if you are playing a game because the game is good, you don't need to feel like you're supporting the ethos of whatever faction you happen to be playing. It's totally OK to play a game and enjoy it because you find it fun without going into it any further, but I guess I can't really fault someone for feeling differently.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ToxicFrog posted:

I meant the PS4 games, not the gacha.

Panzer Elite modded has campaigns for all the Allies, and even some fun bullshit in Italian tankettes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Yeah people can play whatever their comftorable with. I couldn't care less if I'm playing as Axis/Allies especially as a grognard game fan where nearly every game is WW2. The way I see it Stalin and the Americans have done some pretty hosed up stuff too, and I'm playing a videogame not commandeering irl tanks so I really don't care.

But the goal of videogames is entertainment so if playing as X or Y team makes you uncomftorable I'm not gonna look down on someone for not wanting to play it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Recommend me games with moddable 2d graphics/tilesets.

I want to make a custom tileset for some game but I don't know what game!

Ideally:
1) Not too much work for a single person (e.g. I won't do TOME because it has like 1,000 different monster sprites)
2) Tile-based, either 32x32 or 64x64 - or something larger (where I can use hand-drawn graphics as opposed to pixel art)
3) Static images/no animation (e.g. roguelikes) or minimal (2-3 frame) animation
4) A game that people actually play or would re-play with a fresh coat of paint
5) Minimal technical work required to extract/recompile the existing tiles - either an in-game tool to import custom tilesets or a game where the tiles are all just images stored in a folder where the game is installed ideally :shrug:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

deep dish peat moss posted:

Ideally:
1) Not too much work for a single person (e.g. I won't do TOME because it has like 1,000 different monster sprites)
2) Tile-based, either 32x32 or 64x64 - or something larger (where I can use hand-drawn graphics as opposed to pixel art)
3) Static images/no animation (e.g. roguelikes) or minimal (2-3 frame) animation
5) Minimal technical work required to extract/recompile the existing tiles - either an in-game tool to import custom tilesets or a game where the tiles are all just images stored in a folder where the game is installed ideally :shrug:

Possibly Into the Breech? There are a lot of tile mods already and even teams that have new different mechanics so it may not be too difficult to do. I have no experience with modding it personally though. On that note the other game by Subset Faster Than Light also has a robust amount of mods/retiles, so it may be pretty accessible as well.

Battle Brothers, Nethack (though the number of sprites is pretty high).

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Perhaps Wesnoth? https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Creating_Unit_Art

Obviously it suffers from the Tome problem of having too many units to rework everything, but you could focus on one specific faction (of a custom campaign). I think it meets the other criteria.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I had no idea it would be possible with Battle Brothers but sure enough I was able to get a custom mountain sprite in the game :yeah:
They're in a sort of annoying format that won't let me change much about the shape of things but it might be fun to re-do the overworld map as retro pixel art or something. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Joke answer: Well of Souls

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Personally I immediately quit out of any match of Battlefield V if I get put on the German team, and I make sure everyone knows I do this.

Look, if you are playing a game because the game is good, you don't need to feel like you're supporting the ethos of whatever faction you happen to be playing. It's totally OK to play a game and enjoy it because you find it fun without going into it any further, but I guess I can't really fault someone for feeling differently.

It's not like I'm worried it's going to morally taint me or something; if I were that ship has definitely sailed with the number of inhabited star systems I blew up in Space Empires back in the day. It just makes it hard for me to enjoy the game for what it is. Playing a mission based on a historical battle I was just reading about, or having one of my party members yell "glory to the Reich!" during the debriefing, yanks me out of the game in a way that playing as fictional bad guys like in Tyranny or Overlord or Supreme Commander doesn't.

I'm not definitively writing it off, but it makes me wary and inclined to spend more time looking for other games rather than immediately jumping on this one.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I meant the PS4 games, not the gacha.

Panzer Elite modded has campaigns for all the Allies, and even some fun bullshit in Italian tankettes.

I somehow completely missed the PS4 game -- I don't have a PS4, but it looks like it got a Switch port? That I can play.

Ideally:

I,I "deep dish peat moss" is an excellent handle

That out of the way, I was going to say "DoomRL", but it looks like the tiles are stored inside doomrl.wad and I'm not sure that's even a standard format WAD file.

One of the Conquest of Elysium games, maybe? Sprites are 32x32, 64x64, or 128x128 and creature sprites have 1-2 frames (either one static image, or separate "plain" and "attacking" frames). The COE4 modding guide has a section on modding creature graphics. It's a sprawling game but you could always focus on reskinning a single faction. Other classic or retro-style 4X games like Space Empires 3-5 might also be an option here, since they tend to very light on animations.

Back on the free side, Crossfire is always glad to receive new spritework, and uses 32x32 as the base tile size (although some monsters are multiple tiles in size). And the sprites are just A Big Pile Of PNGs. It definitely fails (1) but you can also just go "I am going to give this game the sickest loving door artwork it's ever had" or something and that gives you a much more tractable problem size.

Space roguelike Approaching Infinity uses 64x64 tiles without animations and they're just a big pile of PNGs in the game install directory.

Dungeonmans likewise except they're in "xnb" format, whatever the hell that is.

Quasimorphosis Exordium is Unity-based, so that's out.

Transcendence isn't tile-based but fits the bill otherwise, I think, and is also free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Ideally:

Dwarf fortress. I haven't played for a very long time but when I did there was a site where people were sharing tiles, and it was so easy to do that I made one myself.

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/Tileset_repository#Guybrush_square_16x16.png

e: holy poo poo it's already been 15 years and that game is still in development

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 1, 2022