Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

QuoProQuid posted:

I really like Devo as a character but I sometimes I do wonder how self-aware Travis is about his own character and how misdirected and impotent his rage is

Also love the murder mystery angle. I doubt this is the direction they're going in but my first thought was that the target here is the Council and not Guidance specifically, with the institution going from six people to basically just Kodeira and Hermine. Would be a great opportunity for a coup if someone wanted to pull it.
Personally I think he has to be doing it on purpose now, it seemed like Devo was slowly getting better at not being a shithead but regressed for understandable reasons in the last episode.

Re: mystery I'm also really enjoying that. The Hominine spy communication device (wisp?) may be a red herring, but her getting too close to discovering something about Hominine, with the message she left, does seem plausible.

Also it seemed like Clint and/or Zoox totally missed what the blink shark was saying, lol. It was definitely talking about the terrifying bleached brinar they've encountered before. I wonder what he's going to say to Amber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Just want to say again how nice it is for them to take TAZ back to a weekly format. It's nice to just be able to have an episode proverbially lying around when I'm ready for it. Though part of that is due to the removal of my commute and so forth.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Lmao the bonus episode of Wonderful has Griffin talking poo poo on people who armchair therapize his relationship with his brothers based on what happens in podcasts/videos, it’s great

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I can't tell if I love Devo being a dork rear end baby trying to intimidate people and failing absolutely miserably and then sulking or if I hate it.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Lmao the bonus episode of Wonderful has Griffin talking poo poo on people who armchair therapize his relationship with his brothers based on what happens in podcasts/videos, it’s great

What relationship? Everyone knows they're at a point where they only communicate when doing McElroy brothers content.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

they're not even brothers. justin and griffin met in the games journalism industry. travis is a cincinnati theater actor who only got the job after he revealed he had dirt on them. clint is an actor they hired to play their dad. follow the money.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My name is Earl "Squeak" McElroy, the original third brother. This is my story

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Based on how this thread describes things said on podcasts I assume Griffin said “Sometimes people say things about our relationship, that’s weird.”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Flophouse question- did Stew and Dan really hate Don’t Look Up that much?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Ok Comboomer posted:

Flophouse question- did Stew and Dan really hate Don’t Look Up that much?

The movie sucked so yeah I can imagine they hated it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I haven't heard them on it but I assume they hated it because it was poo poo

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Aww I kinda liked it....

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

yea I haven't heard them on it but I assume they hated it because it was poo poo

do people think that because it’s mean spirited?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

it simultaneously panders and says nothing so everyone can see whatever they want in it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

inferis posted:

it simultaneously panders and says nothing so everyone can see whatever they want in it

yeah fair point

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It’s an Adam McKay movie so I just assumed it was bad

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I was on the fence about watching that movie but never did, mostly because the runtime seemed WAY too long for the premise to hold up

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Don’t Look Up is Ready Player One for the Trump administration and (inadvertently) the Covid years. Anyone watching it has “got it” before the movie starts and then it proceeds to elbow you in the ribs and say “Get it?“ while waggling its eyebrows for about 3 drat hours. It’s beyond farce and parody, but not in the opposite direction than that is usually used.

Is it a good movie? Maybe? It sure made me feel some stuff, mostly just tired, so it could be wildly successful depending on your metric.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Warbird posted:

Don’t Look Up is Ready Player One for the Trump administration and (inadvertently) the Covid years. Anyone watching it has “got it” before the movie starts and then it proceeds to elbow you in the ribs and say “Get it?“ while waggling its eyebrows for about 3 drat hours. It’s beyond farce and parody, but not in the opposite direction than that is usually used.

Is it a good movie? Maybe? It sure made me feel some stuff, mostly just tired, so it could be wildly successful depending on your metric.

no, you’re right. It is pretty tiresome in a lot of places

I just remember being annoyed because it seemed like a lot of more mainstream libs hated it because it was so pessimistic

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

If Devo doesn't pay off his loan soon, I hope Griffin has him get his knees broken by worm thugs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ok Comboomer posted:

how could it be genuinely mean spirited, it gave the exact people it's nominally 'mocking' massive paychecks to spend a couple hours going 'hey guys, get it, do you see our clever little metaphor???' as if somehow it's the audience who needed it and not the fuckin hollywood/media class that love it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
From CD:

Tars Tarkas posted:

There is trouble in Hallmark land!

It all began a long time ago in the distant year of 2020. Hallmark Channel aired a commercial that had two women....kissing! Conservatives freaked out, and the network pulled it. Then non-crazy people freaked out, and it became a bigger news story. Crown Media (the company that owns Hallmark) CEO Bill Abbott stepped down because he hosed this up so bad.

That doesn't mean he's gone, he's now out for revenge. Thomas Hicks and his private equity firm, Hicks Equity Partners, bought Great American Country in June 2021, and installed Abbott as CEO. Now it is known as Great American Channel (but just usually called GAC) and split into GAC Family and GAC Living. And they are going to pump out the same romance and Christmas movies as Hallmark, including their own 12 Weeks of Christmas celebration. The announcement for those films was when Hallmark fans found out most of their favorite stars were now making GAC films, except more "family friendly" (hmmm, what could those code words mean with respect the Abbott's last controversy and Thomas Hicks's close ties to the Republican party....)

So far GAC has signed:

Lori Loughlin - Fresh from jail, she's now on the GAC original series When Hope Calls, which is a spinoff of a former Hallmark series, and will be making romance and Christmas films

Candace Cameron Bure - exclusive to GAC, and now a high level producer and media curator overseeing production. GAC plays reruns of both Full House and Fuller House, they've gone all in on Candance. BUT - her exclusivity deal does NOT include mystery movies, which means she can still do entries in her popular mystery movies series on Hallmark Movies and Mysteries.

The Kitten Bowl - this got cancelled by Hallmark, now it's back, in GAC form (and called The Great American Rescue Bowl)

More exclusive GACcers:
Trevor Donovan
Danica McKellar - includes executive producer credits
Jen Lilley
Jessica Lowndes

Hallmark stars doing both GAC and Hallmark:
Cameron Mathison, Debbie Matenopoulos, Nick Bateman, Rukiya Bernard, Cindy Busby, Sara Canning, Dillon Casey, Torrance Coombs, Trevor Donovan, Brendan Fehr, Jennie Garth, Maggie Lawson, Jen Lilley, Sarah Lind, Daniel Lissing, Jessica Lowndes, Matthew MacCaull, Chad Michael Murray, Sam Page, Merritt Patterson, Christopher Russell, Becca Tobin, Jill Wagner and Dewshane Williams

It's chaos in movie land!

You can see GAC's movie lineup here - https://www.gacfamily.com/movies/
They don't have the overall branding Hallmark has put together over the years but they have enough to appear to be a competent knock off version. Time will tell which channel ends up the winner.

As for Hallmark, I've not been paying too much attention lately. I know there was a gay couple in one of the Christmas movies in 2020, and recently they just aired a movie about a mom reconnecting with her children and one of them was (gasp!) a lesbian. Beyond that I don't know what LGBT things they have done lately.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
That’s a Christ mess to me

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Max fun drive is working that +30 sec button hard today

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I get they want to raise money, but I gave up on those episodes a while ago and skip them entirely. It was tolerable when it was a pitch here and there, but it's taken over the whole loving thing, no thanks

This is the only podcast I listen to on the network; have other show's drive episodes become this unlistenable or is this one the most egregious because it's the biggest and most popular? Guessing it's the latter

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

flesh dance posted:

This is the only podcast I listen to on the network; have other show's drive episodes become this unlistenable or is this one the most egregious because it's the biggest and most popular? Guessing it's the latter
it depends on what you consider unlistenable, but other shows on the network are pretty similar

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Griffin is on this week’s Flophouse and it is Good

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I listen to multiple mcelroy shows and also ONRAC and i did actually sign up as a maxfun donor but i only checked off that i listen to ONRAC lmao

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm just really starting Beef and Dairy, but the Max Fun episodes I've heard have been decidedly British.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYQZvjQKnUI

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

The MaxFun stuff does feel way more intense this year. I wonder if its because they missed their target last year and don't seem in line to hit it again this year.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
it's still odd to me that all the donor episodes are behind a single password

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Farg posted:

it's still odd to me that all the donor episodes are behind a single password

Especially since basically every podcast client supports custom URLs for patreon exclusives, etc.

I assume they don't think of piracy as much of a problem.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

I mean it's incredibly easy for someone to just download and re-upload the mp3s anywhere. It's not actually there for security purposes--just to give 1 extra step to accessing it to encourage people to join.

anyways to add a dissenting voice I like the new stuff that happens during the drive and just skip through things when it gets boring

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Stroop There It Is posted:

I mean it's incredibly easy for someone to just download and re-upload the mp3s anywhere. It's not actually there for security purposes--just to give 1 extra step to accessing it to encourage people to join.

I feel as though the community would get crabby about public reposts. but yeah, there's even an RSS feed.

Stroop There It Is posted:

anyways to add a dissenting voice I like the new stuff that happens during the drive and just skip through things when it gets boring

it doesn't bother me. I think I became inured over decades of public radio and TV pledge drives.

and the drive sometimes leads to additional comedy.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
According to last year's MBMBAM, Travis added DRM so pirated stream's jokes are not funny. So if you don't find Travis funny... stop pirating your podcasts!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Good week for Griffin to make the joke about having a gig at Focus on the Family

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Zero One posted:

According to last year's MBMBAM, Travis added DRM so pirated stream's jokes are not funny. So if you don't find Travis funny... stop pirating your podcasts!

Oh no!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/mcelroyfamily/status/1521293440738381826?s=21&t=9j34SKN6DDaAOX7ViF8HVQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
As good a reason as any to up my donation a tiny kiss