Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Case in point:

e: also,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
also the fulcrum looked cool as poo poo in Ukrainian digicamo

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

If u post the ghost of kyiv isn't real 3 times a mig29 will fly overhead and u will never be seen again

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I'm gonna do it

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the ghost of kyiv isn't real

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ok I was just playing

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

sneakyfrog posted:

Thats 3

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nick Soapdish posted:

As an old NATO head, happy to see NATO unity actually happening

My hot take on this thing is that if NATO countries support Ukraine against a belligerent Russia that its killing civilians, we should also support Palestine, Yemen and other countries suffering under similar circumstances.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
my petard?!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ElMaligno posted:

My hot take on this thing is that if NATO countries support Ukraine against a belligerent Russia that its killing civilians, we should also support Palestine, Yemen and other countries suffering under similar circumstances.

Apparently the world isn’t fair but I’m glad we finally did the white th….. right thing.

:cripes:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Re: artillerychat

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1520479287995994112

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/iAmTheWarax/status/1520480388401053697?s=20&t=P4NZzzDaujhLjozxBxlNSg

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

"We don't need to camouflage our CP, just pull up behind some trees and we'll be good to gOH BLYAT"

edit: It feels good making this comment after the countless times I've had to deal with camouflage netting going up and down all day every day in the sweltering heat at Ft Polk. For some reason the netting was always infested with wolf spiders and black widows which made every instance an adventure.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 30, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

He was commander of all russian forces EW assets, guess that flash invasion of the baltics is off the table now

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

shame on an IGA posted:

He was commander of all russian forces EW assets, guess that flash invasion of the baltics is off the table now

The EW general was killed by drone-directed artillery. A drone could fly close to the EW command post. What a loving poo poo show.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Air bursting munitions in there. Haven’t seen Ukrainian footage with those before. That’s a full battery or more firing also, not just ones and twos like many of the videos.

Edit if you assume 10 to 12 seconds per gun that’s way more than a single battery. I count 32 flashes in 22 seconds. So like a whole battalion.

Everything in that tree line is fubar.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 30, 2022

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
30 rounds in 22 seconds.

Idk the size of the guns but if they're small, fast and will trained like these, you could pull that rate off with like 5-6 gun crews I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAc1CnKqSyo

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A barely three-year-old coal power plant burned to the ground in Sakhalin last night, I'm just going to choose to believe it was the JSDF.

https://tass.com/emergencies/1445779

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Radio war nerd 324 on the first Chechen war is really interesting. Russia made alllll the same mistakes, and Yeltsin launched it for the same reasons Putin likely did, as part of some internal power play that had nothing to do with the reality. While the Chechen side’s strategy and forces were different than Ukraines, Russia did like all the same poo poo. In the first days morale troops just gave up or refused to advance when encountering hostile unarmed civilians, then later switched to senseless brutal war crimes once they started taking losses a couple weeks in. Ran unsupported uncoordinated armored assaults with unclear objectives and no infantry support right into heavily fortified cities.

ElMaligno posted:

Exactly why this “based nato” poo poo is nauseating to me. Last time I checked Turkey’s “demographic correction” in Syria is a NATO operation.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Murgos posted:

Air bursting munitions in there. Haven’t seen Ukrainian footage with those before. That’s a full battery or more firing also, not just ones and twos like many of the videos.

Edit if you assume 10 to 12 seconds per gun that’s way more than a single battery. I count 32 flashes in 22 seconds. So like a whole battalion.

Everything in that tree line is fubar.

I was assuming that was rocket artillery by the dispersion and amount of expositions in a short time

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
We're like 2 months of fires away from some Russian grandpa in Irkutsk yelling about how Ukrainian SF burned down his chicken coop

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Exactly why this “based nato” poo poo is nauseating to me. Last time I checked Turkey’s “demographic correction” in Syria is a NATO operation.

Turkey is acting extremely on their own there and that has nothing really at all to do with NATO. They've been hugely, massively at odds with American efforts in and around Syria, to the extent that the US was putting American units physically between Kurdish groups and the Turks to keep turkey from attacking Kurds. Idk if the US's efforts are especially NATO related there either, but probably more of a case could be made there than with Turkey. Turkey has been on the NATO shitlist for what they've been doing in Syria, doubly so with the s400 bullshit.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 30, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shame on an IGA posted:

A barely three-year-old coal power plant burned to the ground in Sakhalin last night, I'm just going to choose to believe it was the JSDF.

https://tass.com/emergencies/1445779

Apparently a poo poo load of deported Ukraines are in that area. They had very few options to work and when they do it’s for peanuts. I need to find the source tweet I read earlier.

Something new is on fire. Russia’s largest producer of anti-biotics.

https://youtu.be/jcnIp3Q9t8c

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 30, 2022

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Deporting people to Sakhalin from Ukraine is straight from the Stalin playbook

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Radio war nerd 324 on the first Chechen war is really interesting. Russia made alllll the same mistakes, and Yeltsin launched it for the same reasons Putin likely did, as part of some internal power play that had nothing to do with the reality. While the Chechen side’s strategy and forces were different than Ukraines, Russia did like all the same poo poo. In the first days morale troops just gave up or refused to advance when encountering hostile unarmed civilians, then later switched to senseless brutal war crimes once they started taking losses a couple weeks in. Ran unsupported uncoordinated armored assaults with unclear objectives and no infantry support right into heavily fortified cities.

I gave that podcast a chance after being recommended it for years. My first listen was their most recent episode, which was full of uncomfortable "Why aren't we hearing the Russian side of this?" followed by an uncomfortable fly-over of Russian massacres. There was some insightful rips into neo-con ghouls, but I was soured when they ended with a "Bring back the A-10!" appeal, which I'm amazed those people still exist.

I'm going to give their historical stuff a chance since everyone I know insists that's their strength, but it wasn't a good first impression.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bring back/keep the A-10 is the “bring back the Iowas” for Gen X/millennials.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Bring back/keep the A-10 is the “bring back the Iowas” for Gen X/millennials.

I have always advocated bringing back battleships ... to space Space Battleship Yamato 2199 style

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

People clearly thirst for more planes with angry shark nose art.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Sentinel posted:

People clearly thirst for more planes with angry shark nose art.

It's frustrating that the Air Force isn't allowed to put nose art on planes anymore, in this, the era of the waifu.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nick Soapdish posted:

I have always advocated bringing back battleships ... to space Space Battleship Yamato 2199 style

If you believe some of the alien people out there, those already exist. As noted in the documentary* show, Ancient Aliens.

*the sweetest brain candy

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

It's frustrating that the Air Force isn't allowed to put nose art on planes anymore, in this, the era of the waifu.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Thank god for that too

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
still waiting to see a javelin launcher painted with anime girls

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Notice the very first round that hits bullseyes the big tent in the middle of the treeline. Wonder if they opened the barrage with an Excalibur round or some fancy laser-guided poo poo (did that ever get deployed?).

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

ElMaligno posted:

I’d argue that this conflict as well as the one with Georgia inherently involves NATO in a way that the conflict in Yemen doesn’t. And the Isreal-Palestine issue is just completely different.

I still agree that we need to stop the Saudis from doing what they are doing, but I see that as more of a U.S. responsibility.

WRT the Palestine question, I don’t think a two state solution will bring peace. Israel is a first world country with the best of everything available to it’s citizens. I don’t know if you’ve been to a Palestinian town but you can tell from. The highway whether a town is inhabited by Israelis or Palestinians just by how the builds look, because Palestinians live in a third world reality due to decades of deprivation. Making Palestinians full citizens with full rights and treating Palestinian towns and villages the same as Israeli towns and villages in terms of funding, and upgrading the physical capital of Palestinian areas will do a lot more for long term peace than a separate Palestinian state. The should also probably be some kind of power sharing built into the constitution such as they one they have in Lebanon.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I gave that podcast a chance after being recommended it for years. My first listen was their most recent episode, which was full of uncomfortable "Why aren't we hearing the Russian side of this?" followed by an uncomfortable fly-over of Russian massacres. There was some insightful rips into neo-con ghouls, but I was soured when they ended with a "Bring back the A-10!" appeal, which I'm amazed those people still exist.

I'm going to give their historical stuff a chance since everyone I know insists that's their strength, but it wasn't a good first impression.

I know they’ve been going for years and I’ve only listened to maybe a dozen eps after it was recommended here and really liked the US civil war eps and learned a lot, but I don’t know a ton about their histories although their opinions seem non-problematic from my limited sample set.

It was odd in their ep right before the Russian invasion when they were dismissive of the absurd idea Russia would invade and I know they weren’t alone in that prediction but it helped me to classify them as an above average source of info but not all knowing.

They had an interesting interview with an author about sci fi literature and right wing influence and that was informative especially about trouble at the Hugos, but some parts seemed under researched. Yes some sci fi authors express a fondness for fascism. No, while he has written many books about alt history Harry Turtledove does not want to live in a world where Germany or the CSA won.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

:sickos:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

One thing RWN talked about in Grozny is that Russian units did not have interoperable comms, maps or orders beyond “follow that guy” even at our above the company or battalion level. This meant Russian officers had to personally run around Grozny in enemy territory between ambushed columns to find out what was going on or what they should do, which unsurprisingly killed a lot of them. Wonder if that’s a big reason so many Russian general officers have been getting got.

Jarmak posted:

Notice the very first round that hits bullseyes the big tent in the middle of the treeline. Wonder if they opened the barrage with an Excalibur round or some fancy laser-guided poo poo (did that ever get deployed?).

It’s probably a weird situation where despite not having air superiority Ukraine probably has like near perfect ISR with drones and foreign intelligence so they don’t have to guess while I can’t imagine Russia given their track record is actually giving anything actionable fast enough to their artillery or bombers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Pinch of salt required here, although I have a hard time doubting it:

https://twitter.com/ptuxerman/status/1520413007846719489

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Pinch of salt required here, although I have a hard time doubting it:

https://twitter.com/ptuxerman/status/1520413007846719489

Lmfao, if true.

Of course the budget to print new leaflets and reload the shells got misappropriated.