Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Yeah that key is loving nuts and if true those regions are now wastelands because all the proteins are getting broken and denatured

as rime already pointed out, this is the land surface temperature. much like how you can walk outside in the sun and feel the land and it feels hotter than the air you're standing in.

it's still hosed up of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
D'oh

Apparently the highest theoretical ground temp is enough to boil water but this has not actually been recorded

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/business/status/1520112097446801408?s=20&t=A5tJHcAcwjQKynwPUnUm0w

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

https://twitter.com/business/status/1520112177830580226

:laffo:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

gotta make sure we spray down our potentially arable land with toxic petrochemical saline solution so that future xenohistorians can speculate that texas was salted and sullied by invading hordes out of spite

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Egg Moron posted:

gotta make sure we spray down our potentially arable land with toxic petrochemical saline solution so that future xenohistorians can speculate that texas was salted and sullied by invading hordes out of spite

we salted the earth on purpose, as a joke

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Even if something was made from 100% cotton do they really use cotton thread these days? The pieces of cloth have to be sewn together and I'd bet it was all polyester thread.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fly Molo posted:

we salted the earth on purpose, as a joke

lol

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Ihmemies posted:

Even if something was made from 100% cotton do they really use cotton thread these days? The pieces of cloth have to be sewn together and I'd bet it was all polyester thread.

entirely cotton shirts (threads and all) do exist because some jobs don't allow you to wear synthetic fabric for safety reasons

i had to spend like $40 a pop on sale for my work shirts so if an electrical panel explodes my shirt doesn't melt into my flesh

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

blatman posted:

entirely cotton shirts (threads and all) do exist because some jobs don't allow you to wear synthetic fabric for safety reasons

i had to spend like $40 a pop on sale for my work shirts so if an electrical panel explodes my shirt doesn't melt into my flesh

Of course you had to buy your own shirts.

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Its probably not a bad idea to start engraving giant stone tabs with some basic Wikipedia info for the future.

giant stone blocks are the only way.

embrace the neomacrolithic age

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

D'oh

Apparently the highest theoretical ground temp is enough to boil water but this has not actually been recorded

... yet.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rime posted:

Thinkin’ ‘bout dem maps of SE Asia habitability from the IPCC report. :thunk:
this isn't so bad. you just gotta scrape those burnt bits off with a knife, it's fine

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

we're gonna have a 6-figure casualty heat wave in the next few years aren't we

drat I thought the water would run out there first

Why so optimistic, it's on track to happen in the next month

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

T-Paine posted:

Of course you had to buy your own shirts.

to be fair i also had to buy my own tools and very rarely you'll find a job where you supply your own ladder (it will get stolen by another trade that doesnt realize its your personal ladder because they didnt have to buy their own)

dont become an electrician

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

blatman posted:

to be fair i also had to buy my own tools and very rarely you'll find a job where you supply your own ladder (it will get stolen by another trade that doesnt realize its your personal ladder because they didnt have to buy their own)

dont become an electrician

conversely, as a dumbass homeowner, I've gotten comfortable working with all my house systems, I know how to replace a faucet pressure valve, I know how our radiant heat works and how to access it and how to check and modify pressure on it...

I know at an abstract level how to put a new circuit in my box, too, but I'll never loving do it and I'll always pay whatever I need to for electrical work, because the poo poo scares the bejesus out of me and I know enough to know there's always spots in the box that will fry you even if the main breaker is off.

Pretty sure the electrician we use isn't actually licensed, but, the town also uses him for electrical work on town buildings. I guess that's normal here? When I had chainsaw work to do that was too sketchy for me, I went through three people who were willing to do it before I found someone who actually had the correct insurance to not die on my homeowner's policy. I guess that's normal here.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Egg Moron posted:

isn't that poo poo also significantly radioactive?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I'm fine with turning Texas into a toxic, radioactive wasteland. In fact do it to all of America.

Given how much they contribute to global emissions, it could greatly improve things if it ceased to be.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
we get these diapers because all experimentation with different kinds of washable ones just led to poo poo and piss in weird places in the house, and pediatric rear end irritation. so yeah I'm a fixing failure on that, but I think my wife buys these diapers hoping they might be marginally better for the kid than the super cheap ones. neither of us is under any illusions that these don't end up as structural components of artificial islands.

I'd never actually read the box before, this is some weak liberal poo poo.

imagine believing literally any of this :allears:

i often think about the growing cube of diapers our two kids produced, and then try to mentally scale that by the birth rate. gross

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
just leave your kid in the bathtub and rinse everything down the drain whenever it shits

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Just another chilly day!! better make a pile of plastic laden "paper" and "cardboard", pile sticks on it, then use petro fuel to set of the pyrolitic reaction, and then keep feeding it with a stack of wood I paid some guy to rip out of local forests with huge rear end diesel machines and gasoline chainsaws.

I ought to wear my p100 when I do this. I don't. to show solidarity with the biosphere I am destroying.

none of this boggles me but it does nag at me that most of my neighbors follow this same basic set of steps and just think "yep, this is fine!! just like grandma did it"

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

ELTON JOHN posted:

just leave your kid in the bathtub and rinse everything down the drain whenever it shits

what if I need a bath too

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Cabbages and Kings posted:

i often think about the growing cube of diapers our two kids produced, and then try to mentally scale that by the birth rate. gross

Now expand this to as many every day disposable items as you can think of. Now scale it by at minimum forty years. Then have someone call you a racist when you say this is fundamentally unsustainable.

:crackping:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm Ageist.

The age overshoot is at least as impactful, possibly more so. I dunno the math is complicated. I understand why everyone want to live longer, but too bad.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Rime posted:

Now expand this to as many every day disposable items as you can think of. Now scale it by at minimum forty years. Then have someone call you a racist when you say this is fundamentally unsustainable.

:crackping:

Oh, I know, we're fully there and our agreement is we only discuss this poo poo in detail one day a week, because generally our kids are happy now and life is good now and there is no need to deprive anyone of that, the ravages of time always do in one way or another (and in new and terrifying ways, soon, probably!)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

It's all basically unavoidable if you want to not just completely retreat from society, too. When I give weed away I give it in glass baby food jars (yea yea, plastic in the lids) and I tell the people I give it to that I will charge them for jars if they don't bring them back (I do not charge for weed, ever).

When we have retail in a couple months, every gram that gets sold is going to be inside more forever waste. It's everything. If I could just not buy poo poo that doesn't come in packaging, I would -- I love bulk foods, I case the yard sales every year looking for basically anything we might buy used now and avoid buying new later. Our basement is full of tools sourced that way, some of which work great, some of which need work, but are reparable.

Also Rime, christ could I use your help. I have a Singer that belonged to my grandmother, still has the original pedal, it all works and I had it serviced before I moved up here in 2016. The problem is that the thread path is slightly bizarre and I am too dumb to figure it out. My mom used the machine for a long time and described the process as "sort of like any other singer but this one step is kind of left handed?"

This isn't really the thread for it but if you think you can help me I will PM you pictures of the thing. I am getting into making stuffed animals out of salvaged fabric, and doing it by hand is turning into a chore.

When I told my sister (who I adore) that I was trying to get grandma's old Singer working, she said "jesus why would you not just spend $200 on a new one that has 7 different patterns" and I had to consciously choke to not just spit back "jesus why don't you go take a big dose of SHUT THE gently caress UP". But actually I just said "gently caress that, old tools are cool and built to last".

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I case the yard sales every year looking for basically anything we might buy used now and avoid buying new later. Our basement is full of tools sourced that way, some of which work great, some of which need work, but are reparable.

last serial post from me, but, despite this we live in a remote place and we either have to do Amazon for a lot of stuff, or drive a 2 hour round trip plus however long in COVID world. This made me curious how much we spent on Amazon since I started using Mint in May, 2019 -- basically a 3 year period exactly. Note that during that time we were heavily involved in fixing up our house and making it suitable for kids etc. None the less, this is loving gross, just looking at Amazon only we spent $37,906.53 on purchases which works out to $750/mo, which accounts for vastly the majority all of our consumer spending (we do some groceries etc through Amazon because some stuff is just vastly cheaper that way, which is hosed up but ultimately I am trying to go out of debt, not further in).

Note that there were several multi-thousand dollar purchases of construction materials and tools focused on rennovating parts of our property, but that's still just loving gross, $750 was my biweekly paycheck back in 2005.

I shudder to think how many plasticky Amazon boxes and "disposable" packaging resulted from that 37k. I bet it makes our diaper footprint tiny. I better write Chevron and tell them my personal carbon footprint sucks, maybe they will send me a guide about how to use more white paint on my roof.

edit: and, again, that truck that brings me those boxes drops similar stacks of boxes at every other door on the road, and maybe two of those fourteen houses gives a poo poo about any of this. And this is in loving Green Mountain state.

Harold Fjord posted:

I'm Ageist.

The age overshoot is at least as impactful, possibly more so. I dunno the math is complicated. I understand why everyone want to live longer, but too bad.
If literal God showed up now and gave me an Issac type choice except the deal was I had to jump off a cliff myself and in return the world would be made better for my kids in ways that would outweigh them being fatherless, not only would I instantly do it, there are very few adults I would not be willing to push off. And, I'm "only" 41, but, I've had plenty of fun and the rest of my life is just getting shittier anyway, physically.

If I could have another 20 years of feeling 30 years old, great, but the "extra time" comes at the end when your brain and body are breaking, gently caress that, Hunter S had the right idea about that.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Apr 30, 2022

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mayor Dave posted:

Why so optimistic, it's on track to happen in the next month

and northern hemisphere summer hasn’t even begun yet

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

we spent $37,906.53 on purchases which works out to $750/mo

Lol that's a lot bro.

Consumer debt should be illegal. If people can't afford to buy food or housing then give it to them and for everything else cash money homie.

In other news the chicklets are growing nicely into their awkward teenager phase.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Lol that's a lot bro.

Consumer debt should be illegal. If people can't afford to buy food or housing then give it to them and for everything else cash money homie.

In other news the chicklets are growing nicely into their awkward teenager phase.

Adorable :3:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

we get these diapers because all experimentation with different kinds of washable ones just led to poo poo and piss in weird places in the house, and pediatric rear end irritation. so yeah I'm a fixing failure on that, but I think my wife buys these diapers hoping they might be marginally better for the kid than the super cheap ones. neither of us is under any illusions that these don't end up as structural components of artificial islands.

I'd never actually read the box before, this is some weak liberal poo poo.

imagine believing literally any of this :allears:

All of that stuff is probably true* but they are dancing around some things that make mass produced diapers harmful to the environment to mention very specific things and portions that are more eco friendly

I'd say its better than regular diapers but eh. They are still running sawmills, factories and global logistics chains to pile these things up not entirely* made* of certain* kinds* of plastics*

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Rime posted:

Don't worry dear twitter user, the time to contribute to composting approaches for all of us.

Drat
Rime's posting powers increase the harder Rome Delhi burns.

two-time fee has issued a correction as of 19:22 on Apr 30, 2022

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Leroy Diplowski posted:

yo birds

this is the content i crave

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Raine posted:

yo birds

this is the content i crave
There’s a YouTube livestream of a nesting blue tit that we’ve been checking on every day. She has seven beautiful eggies :3:

https://youtu.be/YMED_-fFqDE

This also means I’m now getting recommended bird nest livestreams of all shapes and sizes, which is a-ok with me

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Bird chat i saw some ducklings who just lost their yellow in my little fake pond today :3:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

I think I would have about five minutes to find shelter in a humid 140* F environment before I died

i take it you've never been in a sauna?

edit: yeah 140 is hot as gently caress, but deadly mostly only to old people and those who are outside for extended periods

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
One thing that has been wiggling at my mind all day since we talked about plastics in clothes and poo poo yesterday:

Im washing my clothes and looking at labels and a shirt someone bought me because they thought they were being really cool was a "keep the ocean blue!" and its 40% recycled plastic. It's a nice soft shirt so im not going to toss it but drat.

So we know plastic is bad. its everywhere. its shedding everywhere. Re using it is a terrible idea. We're all so capitalist brains that we wont do the one thing we should which is just dump all teh fuckin plastic into some deep rear end pit mines and cover it up and put those radiation signs over it to tell people not to dig that poo poo up. No. We have to make a loving profit off of it again and just keep it flowing in the system.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Slow News Day posted:

i take it you've never been in a sauna?

edit: yeah 140 is hot as gently caress, but deadly mostly only to old people and those who are outside for extended periods

Sauna's feel like awful death and people who like them are weird.

The issue obviously is also that if everything around you is 140 degrees there's no where to escape to. If you are starting to feel faint because you sat a little too long in the sauna, you just step out into the cooler air and drink some water. You cant escape that poo poo if its everything.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Now im sitting here thinking about having our deck replaced because its rotting through and I had for a while thought "oh we will get timbertech boards because those are recycled plastic" but obviously now im like - gently caress that's a terrible idea because its just going to shed plastic into the environment and help kill off all the plants and bugs and animals. And then im thinking about all my neighbors with vinyl siding. And asphalt and tar roofs.

lmao. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

It's all basically unavoidable if you want to not just completely retreat from society, too. When I give weed away I give it in glass baby food jars (yea yea, plastic in the lids) and I tell the people I give it to that I will charge them for jars if they don't bring them back (I do not charge for weed, ever).

When we have retail in a couple months, every gram that gets sold is going to be inside more forever waste. It's everything. If I could just not buy poo poo that doesn't come in packaging, I would -- I love bulk foods, I case the yard sales every year looking for basically anything we might buy used now and avoid buying new later. Our basement is full of tools sourced that way, some of which work great, some of which need work, but are reparable.

Also Rime, christ could I use your help. I have a Singer that belonged to my grandmother, still has the original pedal, it all works and I had it serviced before I moved up here in 2016. The problem is that the thread path is slightly bizarre and I am too dumb to figure it out. My mom used the machine for a long time and described the process as "sort of like any other singer but this one step is kind of left handed?"

This isn't really the thread for it but if you think you can help me I will PM you pictures of the thing. I am getting into making stuffed animals out of salvaged fabric, and doing it by hand is turning into a chore.

When I told my sister (who I adore) that I was trying to get grandma's old Singer working, she said "jesus why would you not just spend $200 on a new one that has 7 different patterns" and I had to consciously choke to not just spit back "jesus why don't you go take a big dose of SHUT THE gently caress UP". But actually I just said "gently caress that, old tools are cool and built to last".

Lol this is exactly the thread for restoring an old swiss sewing machine