Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
On one hand: Dedicated Mercenary factions are cool and I always like when they're just a collection of weirdos like Dogs of War in WHFB or Minions/Mercs in Warmahordes.

On the other hand: Soup needs to have a stake driven through its heart so it may never rise again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently the summer chaos book is Daves to Darkness. Which is weird because their book is way newer than Beasts or Skaven.

Quite a few new models in there, including at least one chaos dwarf unit! I'm guessing the Centurion Marshal and Chaos Legionaires are also chorfs.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Looking good... but what about the rats?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/29/slaves-to-darkness-new-battletome-and-daemon-prince-unveiled/

Oh, that explains why I saw this pop up on my social media feed.

The new Daemon Prince is pretty ballin tho.

Talas posted:

Looking good... but what about the rats?

According to their updated Roadmap we're looking at another Chaos faction book in Autumn.

Oh wait, the Dave book is the Winter release. So Skaven might just be up next.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 29, 2022

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Looks sweet. Thos it is kinda weird they show this now even if they plan to put out std tome in winter

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Geisladisk posted:

Apparently the summer chaos book is Daves to Darkness. Which is weird because their book is way newer than Beasts or Skaven.

Quite a few new models in there, including at least one chaos dwarf unit! I'm guessing the Centurion Marshal and Chaos Legionaires are also chorfs.

I am way WAY more ok with StD getting a book this soon since they're kind of a mess with their core units are being overshadowed by Warcry cult weirdos. Also a new Daemon Prince is a long time coming.

Edit:

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Looks sweet. Thos it is kinda weird they show this now even if they plan to put out std tome in winter

I think they're doing it now to get ahead of the leak, they've done stuff like this before

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 29, 2022

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Covermeinsunshine posted:

The leak probably forced their hand.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
It's interesting that a leak of rules and order of army releases (like the one that 40k had at the start of the year) just kinda hangs out there and is continually reaffirmed as things come out. But if the leak includes images of models, then GW is super quick to issue an official announcement, even if the release isn't for the better half of a year.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well models is the main thing and if there's a bunch of potato camera pictures going around that might give them bad rep because people will look too hard and then maybe not buy it.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Looks like we're getting a unit of chaos dwarves, a chaos dwarf hero, and a warcry warband of chorfs.

Legion of Azorgh is already the forgeworld chorf faction, and we have a unit named "Chaos Legionaires", who are right next to the "Horns of Hashut", in the book, which is clearly the chorf warcry warband. Then there's also somebody named a "Centaurion Marshal" - Note, not a centurion, a centaurion, which makes him a chaos dwarf centaur hero of some kind.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
chorfs are confirmed?

huh, so I guess the early 3rd edition leaks aren't totally off. Which means we may very well get Umbranaeth release as one of the order battletomes after all?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

Makes sense to me. The feel since AoS dropped is like GW is largely trying to forget that Beastmen or Skaven exist.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Floppychop posted:

Makes sense to me. The feel since AoS dropped is like GW is largely trying to forget that Beastmen or Skaven exist.

tbf they were doing the same thing to Legions of Nagash before they got a huge range refresh and got turned into Soulblight Gravelords

also Skaven just got a sweet underworlds team so it doesn't seem like they're trying too hard

edit:

ALSO also StD just got confirmed to NOT be the summer book

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Beasts also got a giant narrative push in the new Thondia book, the main villain of the book is Gorraghan Khai, Prophet of Morghur.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
As an Imperial Guard and Skaven player, I want to be a bit doom and gloom about it. However, Skaven do feel around the corner especially with StD being Winter now.

Also, that Underworlds team is fantastic.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Wood elves :qq:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Sylvaneth are way cooler

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

the wild hunt guys are pretty cool but fucker trees are a poor substitute for tree fuckers

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Wood Elves hasn't been a thing since 2nd ed. :v: Not even Wanderers are a separate faction these days.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

New StD stuff looks rad as hell, and Chaos Dwarves are cool as long as they're just wrapped up into the book and not their own faction. There's just too many armies that desperately need more unit variety before they start muddling things up with even more armies.

Almost certain the next Destruction books are gonna be Ogors and Gloomspite, and maybe Skaven isn't coming up soon because the rumors of them being in the next starter box are actually true.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mind you, we're promised a bunch of reveals next week so might be getting some clues what we'll see then.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
I know they're probably getting out in front the leak with the battletome reveal, seems odd that its literally the last tome of the year though with nothing for the intervening ones.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Seems like it's leak week, most of the Nighthaunt 3.0 battletome is out for us to see.
https://imgur.com/a/c8EaGSJ

It looks pretty strong at first glance.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Yay, army 2 and I still have yet to play a game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The new Nighthaunt stuff seems really good, lots of very nasty battle traits and some real working synergy among the units.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Disabling ward saves against melee wounds is a nasty trait.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Dreylad posted:

Disabling ward saves against melee wounds is a nasty trait.

Yeah, that's gonna be pretty backbreaking for Maggotkin (right as people finally figured out some strong builds lol) and probably adds another army to the pile that can just shut off mega-gargants.

Nighthaunt have so many cool models but all their oldest / worst sculpts are the ones with good warscrolls so I hope this changes things up enough.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I just read Soulslayer, and I expect next year to be the year of the Dwarf. Will bring up my exact thoughts a little later.

Edit: The book heavily implies more stuff about the return of Khazalid Empire, which a lot of stuff near the end of Broken Realms was also implying. With the hints towards Chaos Dwarfs, I could see a year of the Dwarf with the Leagues of Votann coming in 40k.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 2, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/03/the-ethereal-nighthaunt-are-now-even-tougher-to-banish-back-to-the-realm-of-death

Looks like the Nighthaunt tome is next on the docket to be released. Or they're responding to the leaks a bit later than with the Chaos one.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nighthaunt and DoK books have been the next pair for a while.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah yeah, I forgot about that. :doh:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

They also updated the flags of Warhammer Fest, yes-yes:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

There's another Skaven flag on the banner too. Furthest one back on the right side.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

I just read Soulslayer, and I expect next year to be the year of the Dwarf. Will bring up my exact thoughts a little later.

Edit: The book heavily implies more stuff about the return of Khazalid Empire, which a lot of stuff near the end of Broken Realms was also implying. With the hints towards Chaos Dwarfs, I could see a year of the Dwarf with the Leagues of Votann coming in 40k.

I just want Gotrek to find his boyfriend again god drat it

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I'm very keen to see new-style Chaos Chosen, hopefully warriors/knights, the new characters, and whatever Legionnaires are. Hadn't thought they might be chaos dwarves, if so then it all depends what style they go with. I would like some sort of shooting unit in the army. Kind of glad this stuff isn't out until winter, gives me time for other projects!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The leaks had this photo, which includes the new Chaos Lord on Demonic Mount, as well as these guys standing next to him that are probably the legionaries.

Seems kind of redundant for the faction who already has iconic Heavily Armored Guys (i.e Chaos Warriors) to add another flavour of Heavily Armored Guy. I'd rather not head into the same kind of bloat that Space Marines and Stormcast have where they have multiple redundant units that all do basically the same thing, but one inevitably ends up as the optimal choice.

Also noteworthy that they seem to have both 2h weapon and 1h/shield options.

They look rad though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There are some classic Archaeon on horseback vibes coming off that guy.
Coincidentally I wish they would re-release that model in plastic as a generic Chaos Lord.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I just want Gotrek to find his boyfriend again god drat it

He sorta did in the sequel audio drama, but only through a portal looking back at his final moments from the end of Slayer that then closed and after that he sorta decided to strike out on his own.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

That's the new named character, Eternus. The new Chaos Lord on mount looks like this

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

peer posted:

That's the new named character, Eternus. The new Chaos Lord on mount looks like this

Surely that's a dual kit then right?

Geisladisk posted:

The leaks had this photo, which includes the new Chaos Lord on Demonic Mount, as well as these guys standing next to him that are probably the legionaries.

Seems kind of redundant for the faction who already has iconic Heavily Armored Guys (i.e Chaos Warriors) to add another flavour of Heavily Armored Guy. I'd rather not head into the same kind of bloat that Space Marines and Stormcast have where they have multiple redundant units that all do basically the same thing, but one inevitably ends up as the optimal choice.

Also noteworthy that they seem to have both 2h weapon and 1h/shield options.

They look rad though.

I hadn't seen that pic, thanks! Yeah it's difficult to see what their angle is going to be that's different from the 'normal' Chaos Warriors and the Chosen. They look to have a slightly more slender aesthetic? Armour is a bit different, more like kruleboyz/mordor orcs. Almost disappointed they're not Chaos Dwarves (assuming these are the Legionnaires) but realistically I don't love a lot of dwarf models, they end up looking ridiculously short and stumpy in this scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Genghis Cohen posted:

Surely that's a dual kit then right?

I hadn't seen that pic, thanks! Yeah it's difficult to see what their angle is going to be that's different from the 'normal' Chaos Warriors and the Chosen. They look to have a slightly more slender aesthetic? Armour is a bit different, more like kruleboyz/mordor orcs. Almost disappointed they're not Chaos Dwarves (assuming these are the Legionnaires) but realistically I don't love a lot of dwarf models, they end up looking ridiculously short and stumpy in this scale.

I wonder if they'll just replace Marauders maybe? Seems like they'd have a lot of overlap otherwise and those sculpts are definitely ready for retirement.