Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Huh. I haven't used the pinlock insert that came with my helmet (A Shoei RF-SR) because it came with a bunch of warnings to never use it at night and about 40% of my riding is done at night. How seriously should I take those warnings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

unimportantguy posted:

Huh. I haven't used the pinlock insert that came with my helmet (A Shoei RF-SR) because it came with a bunch of warnings to never use it at night and about 40% of my riding is done at night. How seriously should I take those warnings?

The pinlock has no downside for night riding in my experience. This is the first time I have heard of something like this, the only thing I could possibly think of is maybe fear of extra glare? Really it seems very unfounded to me. Definitely install it, it's a game changer for visors fogging up.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Pinlock is the best invention ever.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

LimaBiker posted:

Pinlock is the best invention ever.

Too be fair it's just a double pane window put inside a helmet, the real inovation was the double pane. Still, I'm glad that someone made a commercially viable product with industry adoption that works well enough.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

SEKCobra posted:

Too be fair it's just a double pane window put inside a helmet, the real inovation was the double pane. Still, I'm glad that someone made a commercially viable product with industry adoption that works well enough.

It's actually moisture absorbing as well, they warn in the documentation that the material can get saturated by extensive use.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Blue On Blue posted:

1) Helmet being the most 'valuable' piece of gear, what should I be looking at budget wise for a helmet, I have done some research the past few days and it seems anywhere between 300-500$ you can get some really nice helmets, and anything above that is either gucci carbon fiber or all name brand, or both. My friend said to 100% get a helmet that states the visor is anti-fog or whatever... makes sense no one wants to be struggling to see! I'm not even going to look at anything except full-face. I like my face and want to keep it together

2) I had a broken ankle in mid 2021, it's fully healed now but, everything I read suggests ankle support is a big thing when riding, I assume because of the force's that can be exerted on the joint should you tip over or have the bike land on you. I really don't want to break it again (or the other 'good' one) but should I be looking at crazy supportive boots, or will 'regular' motorcycle boots suffice? Mind you it's not like the ankle is made of paper mache now, it even has a metal plate !

3) I'm 40, and if I want to go fast I have a selection of cars for that. I think now is a good time to get into bikes because I know and respect speed, and have no intention of doing crazy poo poo, I just wanted a cool way to commute occasionally or enjoy the weekends with my friend riding around. I don't want a sport bike rocket, nor do I want a harley chopper bike, scrambler type bikes look cool as poo poo imho, but how practical are they for street/highway driving ? Again from my reading the sitting position isn't comfy for anything more than short rides

4) I see people talking about ear plugs, I have some really good noise cancelling headphones with hear-thru, so you can still hear out of them it just filters out loud noises. Are those good or bad to use ? I would have thought a good full-face helmet would keep wind noise down to a minimum anyways?

I've driven manual transmission cars most of my life so I hope that the bike controls come quickly to me, I just want to be safe and careful and not injure my poor abused and ancient body!

Helmets come in different internal shapes as heads are also different shapes, so it's vital you go to a store, preferably one with a dedicated head measuring setup, and find out your shape and size. After that just try on a whole bunch to find what fits. As others have said, Pinlock is good stuff although some companies use an anti-fog treatment instead. If you have a lot of intermittent sun or ride at both day and night then a drop down internal sun visor might be more useful that a visor you need to switch out. Definitely look for 22.06 if you can find one, although 22.05 is fine too. Anything DOT only i'd do some proper research on to see what it's really like.

Can't really speak to boots, I wear really tall TCX boots that are comfy off the bike too after having a pair of fancy sports boots that were crippling off the bike.

It's impossible to say that all scramblers are poo poo on the road or for long rides, it very much varies by bike. Some smaller CC, more beginner friendly scramblers to look at are the Ducati Sixty2 or the new Royal Enfield Scram 411, both of which are regarded as being comfy on the street but less so for touring, but that's due to being naked rather than scramblers per se.

Not sure on NC headphones, I'd recommend plugs as hard things in your ears during a crash seems like a bad time.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 29, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

unimportantguy posted:

I've ridden through winter in the UK with a pinlock in a standard clear Shoei visor. I need the pinlock because the weather is so wet and humid. The 'issue' with a pinlock at night is the fact it's two layers in front of your eyes that basically refract lights of other vehicles a certain amount. I noticed it at first but quite quickly got used to it. It's certainly not an actual problem, they're likely just covering their arses.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
That is a thing with any dual pane visor solution, the heated visors on snowmobile helmets is like more permanent pinlocks with a heating circuit in the air gap. All of the ones Ive used has had the same light distorsion. You get used to it after seeing it once.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Are pinlocks reusable if treated carefully and stored in a plastic bag or something? When I installed my Arai's this winter it had a sort of soft gelled rim that made me think it might not hold up under removal and reinstallation.

To add to helmet-hunting: When you have a prospect or two in mind, keep it on your head as long as you can, wear it around the store while you look at gloves or something. An unaccustomed head stuffed into a helmet that's not broken in will normally be a little irritated, but you're looking for particularly bothered areas/hot spots. And do your best to buy it from the place that lets you try them on.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I've had a pinlock in my only helmet for two and a half years and I've never had any reason to remove it.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
Some shops will let you buy a helmet and take it home to wear for several hours for a good test-fit, so long as you leave all the tags/stickers on and don’t ride with it at all. I recommended finding a shop like that and availing them of the service. The Cycle Gear shops near me allow this, and it’s saved me a bunch of money from helmets that started developing a hot-spot on my long-oval noggin around hour 2.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

FBS posted:

I've had a pinlock in my only helmet for two and a half years and I've never had any reason to remove it.

ya lol there’s really no reason to

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Helmet cost is not indicative of protection. Get a well known brand with a good warranty that fits your head and has good certification. Those criteria alone put you starting around $200 if you find some on sale (previous year's models are frequently on sale, don't get a store demo model). The things you pay extra for are weight, greater cushion options, fancy livery, and other little perks. I've been riding for 15 years and never owned pinlock; keeping your visor clean is a good habit to have, and that keeps fogging down. No doubt it's a great feature and becoming more ubiquitous, but don't pass up on a good helmet that fits and is comfortable just because it doesn't have pinlock. A lot of models you can buy a pinlock visor for later. The money you save on buying a moderately priced helmet can be put toward upgrading the armor in your jacket and pants with something like D30 inserts or a nicer pair of boots or gloves.

Dual sports in the 250 (Suzuki TW/VanVan, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki KLX300) to 400 (DRZ400) range make great first bikes and are a blast to ride on pavement, especially if you have the option for a supermoto setup (DRZ400 and the new KLX300 have factory supermoto options). Plus, if you see a gravel road that looks fun, you can just turn down it with a little extra confidence. IMO, a middleweight dual sport is not just one of the best bikes for newer riders, it's one of the best bikes ever. These are the closest thing to scrambler styled bikes in terms of ergos, and arguably better suited to actual scrambler-type riding than any modern bike called a scrambler. They make nearly everything about riding a motorcycle much more accessible and fun, except maybe going fast.
For primarily street bikes, there are CBRs, Ninjas, GSXRs, and other stuff in the 300-500cc range that other people in here can provide much more useful information about.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

right arm posted:

ya lol there’s really no reason to

I was thinking one less pane of visor and a little less refraction to look through
during the summer, but yeah already tempted to keep it in for random high humidity or fog days.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Remy Marathe posted:

I was thinking one less pane of visor and a little less refraction to look through
during the summer, but yeah already tempted to keep it in for random high humidity or fog days.

If you want to do this you should buy a second visor, swapping visors is quick and easy on most modern helmets.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The only weird thing I've noticed with my pinlock is that if it just absolutely pours buckets and I'm stuck in stop and go traffic, water will collect between the panes.

Not a lot, not when I'm moving and can close the visor all the way, and not when it's raining a normal amount. Only in drenching, ridiculous rain.

I assumed this was a normal thing or a peculiarity of my visor's geometry, but I guess I should ask lol.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have never had a problem with my visor fogging up and I have never used a pinlock. I don't know if it's the local weather or the angle of my nostrils or what. Pinlocks are just unnecessary for me.

My glasses, however, fog up really bad on cold days.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Geekboy posted:

The only weird thing I've noticed with my pinlock is that if it just absolutely pours buckets and I'm stuck in stop and go traffic, water will collect between the panes.

Not a lot, not when I'm moving and can close the visor all the way, and not when it's raining a normal amount. Only in drenching, ridiculous rain.

I assumed this was a normal thing or a peculiarity of my visor's geometry, but I guess I should ask lol.

Some helmets say you need to have the helmet visor closed in rain, because the pinlock can't handle the pressure. In your case I would assume the pinlock to be too loose though. You can adjust the pins for a tighter fit.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

Some helmets say you need to have the helmet visor closed in rain, because the pinlock can't handle the pressure. In your case I would assume the pinlock to be too loose though. You can adjust the pins for a tighter fit.

Thanks. I'll check on that in a bit. It only happens in super heavy rain when I have to have the visor cracked, so if I can't fix it that's still fine.

Went to my first motorcycle show today. I wore my rain gear and was there between showers and so I was too warm to spend a lot of time there so I think I'm going back to look around more closely on Sunday.

The only demos seem to be Indian (if I come home with an Indian motorcycle, my indigenous Mexican partner will murder me) and Zero (pricey toys), so I'm a little disappointed about that.

Maybe I'm just too precious, but I can't bring myself to be interested in the Washington Redskins of motorcycles. I'd also never even consider looking twice at a Fat Boy.

Now I'm looking up bespoke riding gear brands online and still being annoyed no one is making quite what I want. Most name brand motorcycle stuff is way too straight and the stuff that isn't ... isn't really what I'm going for.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Seems to me that in the "functional gear" category you get your choice of black leather, black textile/mesh, or the latter in a variety of vomit-inducing colors with which to build a clownsuit.

In the "style" category you can dress up as anything you want as long as it's "cruiser person" or "vintage motorcycling person", and don't mind dubious build quality and a probable lack of padding or protection.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I would also need to be 6 inches shorter and weigh 150 pounds less.

Even when I was in great shape, a lot of this stuff would have been too small. Belly shirts abound.

I actually really love playing with color. Everything is so drab, even when it’s kind of stylish. It isn’t cool to wear, like, teal, I guess?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

It probably doesn't help your situation that gear fit is meant to be tight, keeping pads etc. in place. On the other end of the spectrum I searched practically every gear store in the greater Los Angeles area and found one armored jacket small enough for my tiny sunken chest, a single XS Joe Rocket jacket hidden at the back of the rack in a gear superstore.

IMO teal is very cool if you can get some hot pink in there! But obviously the coolest thing is not caring what you look like. I have not accomplished this and actually feel silly that my gear accidentally matched the vanvan's color scheme, so now I look like team Rocket.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

It probably doesn't help your situation that gear fit is meant to be tight, keeping pads etc. in place. On the other end of the spectrum I searched practically every gear store in the greater Los Angeles area and found one armored jacket small enough for my tiny sunken chest, a single XS Joe Rocket jacket hidden at the back of the rack in a gear superstore.

IMO teal is very cool if you can get some hot pink in there! But obviously the coolest thing is not caring what you look like. I have not accomplished this and actually feel silly that my gear accidentally matched the vanvan's color scheme, so now I look like team Rocket.

Surprised you couldn’t find some small Italian brand jacket.

I was also sad by how much black leather is the only option but I get it. My gloves have white leather palms/fingers and they show a lot of dirt even just from my levers.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I already need to clean the road grime and bug guts off my black and mostly off-white Rev’it Sand pants and jacket..

I managed to find stuff I don’t hate aesthetically, but even if I find someone to make me something custom, their options are still all just “leather, flannel, or denim.”

edit: I've seen some cool gloves and boots/shoes, at least.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 30, 2022

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

If you have plenty of money, and want a hot pink or teal suit, go send Ryder from https://www.ryder-gear.com/suits a message.
He's a guy making fully CE approved suits in small numbers. He sometimes takes a generous selection of his suits to trackdays.
As a side note, they're crazy popular with gay bikers because he actively makes an effort to find customers in the gay community. Something Dainese alledgedly tries to avoid lol.

Because it's small scale work, he can also do made to measure stuff for folks who don't fit the standard sizes. It's recommended that you get a local tailor or someone who knows what they're doing to take your sizes in the right way, if you get it made to measure and can't see him in person.

Dainese Techno inspired colorful suit:

If you wanna look like a tiger, he's your guy! This is a bespoke suit.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 30, 2022

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Not really what I need, but these rule. I'm very happy this guy exists.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

LimaBiker posted:

If you have plenty of money, and want a hot pink or teal suit, go send Ryder from https://www.ryder-gear.com/suits a message.
He's a guy making fully CE approved suits in small numbers. He sometimes takes a generous selection of his suits to trackdays.
As a side note, they're crazy popular with gay bikers because he actively makes an effort to find customers in the gay community. Something Dainese alledgedly tries to avoid lol.

Because it's small scale work, he can also do made to measure stuff for folks who don't fit the standard sizes. It's recommended that you get a local tailor or someone who knows what they're doing to take your sizes in the right way, if you get it made to measure and can't see him in person.

Very cool.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

If you cross shop women's gear then your color options expand to black and pink! :j:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Wow you goons were not kidding about the benefits of a pinlock insert. This thing is pretty great and I'm considering it a must-have from now on.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

pastor of muppets posted:

If you cross shop women's gear then your color options expand to black and pink! :j:

Hey, now. Occasionally there's a nice purple!

Conclusion: Straight people need to not be allowed to make motorcycle gear for the next 20 years.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geekboy posted:

Hey, now. Occasionally there's a nice purple!

Conclusion: Straight people need to not be allowed to make motorcycle gear for the next 20 years.

I'm not sure if twenty years is enough to break the addiction to black and grey tbh, it should really just be an indefinite moratorium. Straight people have no business designing clothes of any kind really, men the world over continue to be forced into inhuman and degrading penguin outfits mockingly referred to as 'suits', as if they ever suited anyone.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

owns

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I’m officially at at the 1 year mark! Renewed my registration today for the next 5 years - lol Arizona.

I covered 4600 ish miles

2 oil changes - 1 of them I did myself

I bought a new set of tires (pirelli rosso 3s) which improved things greatly, making the bike more fun to turn and improving the ride quality

I had 3 minor falls; 2 while practicing in parking lots and 1 doing a uturn from a turn lane (safest possible spot to fall over on a road). Replaced a clutch lever because of one of the falls.

Goal for this summer is to hit up hwy 191 and salt river canyon, probably make this an overnight/weekend trip to Pinetop.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 1, 2022

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

That site has some good custom suits for reasonable prices but what the gently caress

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's for taking a poo poo by the side of the road right

.....right

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GriszledMelkaba posted:

That site has some good custom suits for reasonable prices but what the gently caress

Hahahaha, nice one, Punchy

How are you intended to use the helmet hook under the seat? Just hang the D-ring off the hook? That seems like it's putting more force on the strap than I like, but on the other hand I guess it would see much bigger forces in a collision so maybe it's OK after all.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Better you find out your d-ring fails there than other places

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

It's for taking a poo poo by the side of the road right

.....right

Presumably also for people without penises to pee.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Presumably also for people without penises to pee.

I guess, but it's mostly for gay dudes willing to shell out 2000 dollar on a custom suit they might not even use to ride a bike.

I don't think the ones he sells at trackdays have extra zippers added, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

LimaBiker posted:

I don't think the ones he sells at trackdays have extra zippers added, though...

His booth at SBK-Laguna Seca in 2019 had rear zips. :ssh: