Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

MunchE posted:

I mean outside of being VAG sedans there isn't much similar between the two

The Passat is in the MQB platform underneath the Golf and basically every other VW. The A4 is on the MLB platform used for the larger Audi models

The Passat is offered with a 2L turbo making 174hp. The A4 is offered with 201 or 261 hp depending on the model you get

The Passat is FWD only, the A4 has Quattro which is full time rear biased AWD.

They have completely different transmissions

I don't honestly have the energy to deep dive the specific differences in power output between the variants of the 2.0 turbo engine in the car but they are completely different vehicles on different platforms in different price points competing for different market segments

drat wow that’s a much bigger gulf than I expected. Thanks for the write up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

I was paranoid my first foray into VAG ownership in two decades would end in strange and expensive forms of mechanical failure.

I was wrong… Stationary, waiting to make a right turn, and I got rear ended by a car doing 60km/h that didn’t even attempt to stop.

Is he insured? Of course not.

I got an overnight hospital stay (whiplash, spinal swelling, torn muscles) and I’m just waiting to hear that my Superb is totaled, which sucks.

I’d had it for 6 weeks and I really loving loved this quirky Czech bastard.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

metaxus posted:

I was paranoid my first foray into VAG ownership in two decades would end in strange and expensive forms of mechanical failure.

I was wrong… Stationary, waiting to make a right turn, and I got rear ended by a car doing 60km/h that didn’t even attempt to stop.

I got an overnight hospital stay (whiplash, spinal swelling, torn muscles) and I’m just waiting to hear that my Superb is totaled, which sucks.

Yeah, looking at where the rear door meets the roof, it's totaled. That sucks. :(

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

metaxus posted:

Condolences. My S4 met the exact same fate awhile back and was so totaled.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Man that loving sucks, hope you’re alright

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

TheBacon posted:

Man that loving sucks, hope you’re alright

Same, hope you have a speedy recovery.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I had the low oil pressure light start coming on and going off last week on my '03 Jetta. Of course, I stopped driving it asap. The pressure switch seems to be okay so I'm replacing the pickup tube in the sump. I assume it's gunked up because the car's old and even though I've only driven it about 8k miles, I got it when it was over 100k (just hit 110K). I've changed the oil myself once and had it done a couple of times at shops. I just got all the bolts loose but left the pan on because "No rain today" turned into "No, rain today!" so I decided to do the fun part tomorrow.

Since this 1.8t engine is the same in a bunch of early 2000s VW cars there's plenty of videos on YouTube about replacing it but of course there's minor differences. On the Audis I've seen worked on in videos from the UK there's 10mm bolts with hex heads holding the sump to the engine but mine of course is the M12 triple square spline. The ones on the sump itself match and are 10mm, but the three on the side are not. I own a set of those triple spline because I've had to work on this car before but of course it's harder to get the bit into the space provided than it would be a 10mm socket.

Anyway, that's my rant about German engineering and weather forecasting.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Over engineering and not simplifying a platform with regards to replacement and maintenance is perhaps one of my favorite tropes of German culture.

Everyone always initially thinks “efficiency” with Germans because of whatever reason, until you realize they LOVE complexity and bureaucracy to a fault.

A wonderful machine/system, etc. in the very specific conditions it was designed for. Outside of that and it’s hosed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
germans love precision, not efficiency

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
also making vital engine parts out of plastic that degrades in the heat and then putting them around the hottest parts of the engine bay like tinsel on a tree

jokes on me though, I'm still gonna drive that poo poo

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got the oil pan off and the pickup tube replaced. The old one was really gunked up in the screen filter they have on there. I super cleaned the pan while I had it off as well. At this point I'm hoping for no oil leaks because I've never used rtv to seal an oil pan, but I did thoroughly clean the mating surfaces and wait 24 hours before putting oil in (permatex instructions) so I'm hoping it'll be okay. I'm sore and still mad about triple square spline bolts where there's less than 2" of clearance to back them out into. Also it's like, torx to get the plastic bottom cover off, 19mm oil drain, hex for the turbo oil return, triple spline for the three bolts on the side, and then 10mm that also have a hex in the middle all around the pan. The hex in the middle only made sense when I had to reach two that are way up in and offset from their access holes so the only way to get them loose is a ball end hex key. Fortunately I have a nice wera set because I use them on my 3d printers. One video I saw on YouTube the guy doing the same job broke a ball end hex off inside one of the bolts and couldn't free it so it just gets to stay there (luckily the 15+ bolts around the pan are the same so he put it somewhere he can use a 10mm on).

I have a ton of tools and yet there's always something that I wish I had or kept having to go get. I should be glad they didn't mix metric and standard at least, I guess.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

dialhforhero posted:

Everyone always initially thinks “efficiency” with Germans because of whatever reason, until you realize they LOVE complexity and bureaucracy to a fault.
Audi proudly proclaiming there’s less than 5mm of clearance around some parts of the B6 S4’s 4.2L V8. “What does that mean for servicing?” [resumes patrol]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
service position is real

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

service position is real
heh

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

afen posted:

Any tips for good 2-pin watertight connectors that you can buy on eBay?

The pad wear sensor plugs are shot on my S6, and new ones cost an arm and a leg. I've looked at Bosch JPT plugs, but they're maybe not that watertight?

M8 and M12 circular plugs are the universal standard for industrial sensors and will be readily available forever plus you get screw terminals, up to 5 pins and usually IP67 dust/waterproofing certification, look for it in the item description. Fair pricing is $20/ pair or less

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 4, 2022

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Still no news on my first Superb being totalled yet, but the longer that takes, the longer I have my free rental car.

Knuckled down and sold my 300C. Used the cash from that and bought another Superb from a different state, this time a 118TSI Elegance, so I have a heap of options that my 118TSI Ambition didn't have, but sitting on the exact same driveline, so my stock of oil, filters, ignition coils, and everything else will still fit.

Truck picks it up on Tuseday, scheduled to arrive here on the 20th.

This means that now the Chrysler is gone, I've got a Superb on it's way, 3/4ths of a Superb waiting to be assessed, and my 987 Boxster in storage, so I have somehow ended up a pure VAG owner. :haw:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Hello friends, aside from being quite heavy and somewhat slow, are B6 Avants a bad idea? Considering this one, but am not sure what to look for as far as problem spots go besides timing belt (maybe PCV?). Thanks!

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/portland-2004-audi-a4-18t-avant-quattro/7483408553.html

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

Hello friends, aside from being quite heavy and somewhat slow, are B6 Avants a bad idea? Considering this one, but am not sure what to look for as far as problem spots go besides timing belt (maybe PCV?). Thanks!

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/portland-2004-audi-a4-18t-avant-quattro/7483408553.html

FWIW, my mom had an 04 A6, and it was wonderful to drive but a maintence nightmare. We got it for $20k a long time ago when it only had about 30k miles on it, but over its 200k mile life time, we easily put $25k in repairs into it.

I’m racking my brain trying to remember details of what was wrong, besides it’s half-quart of oil a week habit.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Head Bee Guy posted:

FWIW, my mom had an 04 A6, and it was wonderful to drive but a maintence nightmare. We got it for $20k a long time ago when it only had about 30k miles on it, but over its 200k mile life time, we easily put $25k in repairs into it.

I’m racking my brain trying to remember details of what was wrong, besides it’s half-quart of oil a week habit.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Yeah + / - 100,000

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Is there any kind of consensus on which ECU flash is most reliable on the B9 2.0T? I have no brand loyalty as I haven’t had a car flashed since my ‘04 Jetta 1.8T a decade and a bit ago.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

DoesNotCompute posted:

Is there any kind of consensus on which ECU flash is most reliable on the B9 2.0T? I have no brand loyalty as I haven’t had a car flashed since my ‘04 Jetta 1.8T a decade and a bit ago.

And yet…a VAG car owner. :magemage:

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

dialhforhero posted:

And yet…a VAG car owner. :magemage:

Fair critique.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

is this good

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Is it connected to an oil derrick?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Anyway other than my oil pressure gauge flipping out on the way home, my EJ22-powered Vanagon did great on a three day trip to Sequoia. Really really need cruise control, though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
my parents have a 97 Mk3 Golf Cabrio I wanna help spruce up

right now it has stock 14” wheels, I believe.

If I want to put some period-correct, right proper Enkei92s on it, should those be 15”? 16”?

Right now I’m leaning toward 15” in silver (the car is forest green, with tan soft top, everything about it is/will remain stock).

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’d lean toward 15” wheels myself. They just start looking too big at a certain point. You’ll probably still have decent tire options too.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Got my first taste of real GTI ownership I think, 14k miles on my mk7.5 and at the bottom of a big hill got the shmup boss WARNING beep. Low coolant warning, swung by the dealership where they ran a pressure leak test, topped it off, and said it's fine and seems to be a VW thing to slowly consume/evaporate coolant. I haven't noticed any leaks where I park or where I could see under the hood so seems like no biggie. (I dunno how to embed images on mobile so here goes)

https://imgur.com/a/Av8NeHJ

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Replaced the recirc motor and discovered a bubble on the sidewall and the rim is bent. #justGTIthings

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

teh_Broseph posted:

Got my first taste of real GTI ownership I think, 14k miles on my mk7.5 and at the bottom of a big hill got the shmup boss WARNING beep. Low coolant warning, swung by the dealership where they ran a pressure leak test, topped it off, and said it's fine and seems to be a VW thing to slowly consume/evaporate coolant. I haven't noticed any leaks where I park or where I could see under the hood so seems like no biggie. (I dunno how to embed images on mobile so here goes)

My mk7 SportWagen SE TDI drinks coolant about every 5k miles. I pour a solid pint in.

My mk7 Golf S TDI does not. At all.

:shrug:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

They do? That’s a new one for me.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

teh_Broseph posted:

I’ve had this exact issue. Turns out there was a small leak that just didn’t drip all the way down. I had to top off the pink juice every week until it was fixed. I was a MKV.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

dialhforhero posted:

My mk7 SportWagen SE TDI drinks coolant about every 5k miles. I pour a solid pint in.

My mk7 Golf S TDI does not. At all.

:shrug:

Id be worried about a failed headgasket. Get your coolant checked for exhaust.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah guys you shouldn't be topping up COOLANT, it's not something that has a natural pathway into combustion chambers (like oil).

I agree with the above poster but also lift your engine oil cap off and see if that smells funny.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My mk6 TDI and mk7 GTI both needed a coolant top off like once a year or so. It's super common and there isn't a leak of any sort so it's probably evaporating through a tail light or something.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

My mk6 TDI and mk7 GTI both needed a coolant top off like once a year or so. It's super common and there isn't a leak of any sort so it's probably evaporating through a tail light or something.

Once a year, fine, that's not what he said though.

And if the TDI develops a pinhole leak in the headgasket, letting that continue will damage the head or block through corrasion and steam erosion. It should not consume that much coolant, and if its not leaking out of the engine bay to the ground, its most likely leaking into the cylinders itself.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://apnews.com/article/chicago-suburbs-207144c9b54f811d72e1087c1374b5da

quote:

Chicago man who saved man on train tracks gets free car

oh wow that's so nice! what kind of car

quote:

Anthony Perry, 20, was surprised Wednesday with a 2009 Audi A8

oh-no-no-no-no-no.mp3

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
"Thanks but that's not a free gift worth maintaining"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
jesus thats cruel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
punished-for-doing-the-right-thing.txt