Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ReidRansom posted:

Probably sadly real answer? Some convoluted reason bought and paid for by the fossil fuel lobby.

Or...here me out...each post office has a budget and would need to be outfitted to do so.

The BIL has a lot of electrification funding in it and Biden is pushing electrification for the federal fleet, so my guess is that this is happening sooner rather than later anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

selec posted:

Likelihood of Trump Indictment in Manhattan Fades as Grand Jury Wraps Up

The Manhattan district attorney is continuing to investigate Mr. Trump, but knowledgeable people say charges are unlikely to occur in the foreseeable future, if ever.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/29/nyregion/trump-investigation-alvin-bragg-grand-jury.html

Same as it ever was. The master’s tools etc etc.

Again, takes me back to the argument against defund then police: what’s your idea? You can’t reform a system with the same people who make up the system as it exists, period. The justice system is thoroughly broken and unable to contend with the wealthy and powerful. So why bother believing the cops can meaningfully impact crime? Why bother supporting law and order when it’s obviously just voting for someone who will gently caress with me, but never the people who are loving up the country writ large?

Is this the SDNY that everyone was talking about or is that a different jurisdiction?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

BiggerBoat posted:

Nothing is going to happen to Trump.

Besides winning the presidency in 2024 and ranting about all these witch hunts I mean.

Trump will win the popular vote too.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Trump will win the popular vote too.

Probably not.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

When they finally did try to take him down in an organized way, they went all in on family values, abortion, and infidelity to try and sink him with evangelicals. But, they apparently didn't know their base well enough to realize that evangelicals really cared a lot more about the racism and "saying what we're all thinking" than they cared about family values, religion, and infidelity. And once Jerry Falwell endorsed Trump and Trump swore up and down he was as pro-life as they come, the abortion single-issue voters ended up on his side.

I'm going to assume you meant Pat Robertson but I think Jerry Falwell sending messages to the RNC from hell makes alot of sense.

edit: or Falwell Jr.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

PeterCat posted:

Is this the SDNY that everyone was talking about or is that a different jurisdiction?

No. The SDNY is a federal court district. This is a county DA in New York State

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

GoutPatrol posted:

I'm going to assume you meant Pat Robertson but I think Jerry Falwell sending messages to the RNC from hell makes alot of sense.

edit: or Falwell Jr.

Yes, famous literal cuckold, cocaine user, and evangelical leader Jerry Falwell Jr.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jaxyon posted:

Probably not.

I might take this bet and doxx on it as we get closer. But right now against Biden? I'd push my cards in on that one if that election were held next week.

But even if I do, how can we settle that bet with all the rampant voter fraud going on?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Speaking of famous cokehead failsons, I thought this was particularly lol:

quote:

Joe Biden wrote to his son Hunter and others close to him using the pseudonym “Peter Henderson” – a fictional Soviet Union-era spy in several Tom Clancy novels who infiltrated the US government, emails show.

The messages contained on Hunter’s abandoned laptop appear to indicate the then-VP started using the fictitious mole’s moniker in October 2016 while forwarding a YouTube video to his son Hunter, brother Jim, daughter-in-law Hallie, as well as his sister and longtime political strategist Valerie Biden Owens.

Biden sent the message using an email address with a username of “67stingray” — a clear reference to his beloved 1967 Corvette Stingray.

The name attached to Biden’s “67stingray” account at the time was “Peter Henderson” – which matches the name of the KGB spy in Clancy’s popular Jack Ryan series, according to online fan pages.

Henderson, whose codename was Cassius in Clancy’s realm, worked as a “minor Senate aide” in 1970 before becoming a Russian spy who was later caught by the CIA and turned into a double agent.

He was then freed due to “deep knowledge of secret information on the Soviet Union,” according to an authoritative Jack Ryan fan site. The character appeared in four Clancy novels, including “The Hunt for Red October.”

Weeks later, Biden appeared to still be using the mysterious alias in November 2016 while forwarding a Forbes story about how demographic trends “spell trouble” for China and Russia, but indicate “prosperity” ahead in the US.

The message was sent from Biden’s “67stingray” account, the email shows.

The account then sent a short yet emotional message to Hunter Biden on Jan. 3, 2017, just weeks before Biden left the White House after eight years as vice president in Barack Obama’s administration.

“Keep in touch,” the message sent from an iPhone read. “Love Dad.”

The White House didn’t respond to an inquiry by The Post Friday about the Peter Henderson alias. The connection was first noted by The National Pulse in October 2020.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Elon musk: man my dad knew how to work a slave

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Willa Rogers posted:

doesn't speak well to biden's reading habits, he should read more lesbian necromancer escape-room novels

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Elon musk: man my dad knew how to work a slave

Show me the tweet plz

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Great security to invent a pseudonym and a burner email account to send messages to Hunter Biden ending in "Love, Dad."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Probably not.

He is definitely going to make a go of it, if these holds past the mid-terms.

https://twitter.com/Cavalewis/status/1520095372949049346?s=20

They probably will not, but who knows this is coming after all from a GOP operative.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Majin posted:

Show me the tweet plz

You won't have to look far in about 6 months. His personal tweets won't be the racist poo poo it's the people he is replatforming

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Willa Rogers posted:

*deep groan from kif on futurama*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GreyjoyBastard posted:

doesn't speak well to biden's reading habits, he should read more lesbian necromancer escape-room novels

Can't wait until Fox is spending 12 hours a day speculating on who "Gideon" and "Harrow" are

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BiggerBoat posted:

I might take this bet and doxx on it as we get closer. But right now against Biden? I'd push my cards in on that one if that election were held next week.

But even if I do, how can we settle that bet with all the rampant voter fraud going on?

Even if so, it's not like the popular vote matters. I don't think Trump even remembers he technically didn't get it. He loving obliterated Hillary from the public mind.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even if so, it's not like the popular vote matters. I don't think Trump even remembers he technically didn't get it. He loving obliterated Hillary from the public mind.

No, I can guarantee you that is one of those petty rejection grievances that will stick with him until his final second on this earth. The big lie and the January 6th coup attempt each had their genesis in the fact that Trump never got over the fact that he lost the popular vote in 2016 and spent his entire presidency trying to figure out ways to ratfuck his way into staying in power with or without the popular vote.

It's one of those forever wounds on his psyche, like that time that Spy Magazine said he had small hands, so he still to this day mails photos of his hands to former editor of it with SEE, NOT SMALL! scribbled all over them in black sharpie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/29/politics/hannity-text-messages-meadows-trump-white-house/index.html

New text messages reveal Fox’s Hannity advising Trump White House and seeking direction

quote:

Communications show Hannity’s evolution from staunch supporter of former President Donald Trump’s election lies to being “fed up” with the “lunatics” hurting Trump’s cause in the days before January 6.

Initially after the November 2020 election, Hannity appeared to be all in with Trump’s false election claims. On November 29, he texted Meadows saying he had his team trying to prove election fraud: “I’ve had my team digging into the numbers. There is no way Biden got these numbers. Just mathematically impossible. It’s so sad for this country they can pull this off in 2020. We need a major breakthrough, a video, something.”

But several weeks later, as Trump’s team lost court challenges and the wild claims from attorneys Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell failed to materialize into anything more than false conspiracy theories, Hannity’s tone shifted.

While Hannity never appeared to dispute Trump’s false claims about the election itself, he expressed alarm at the tactics of some of those pushing Trump’s case. Hannity responded to Meadows, “You fighting is fine. The fing lunatics is NOT fine. They are NOT helping him. I’m fed up with those people.”

By New Year’s Eve, Hannity warned about the fallout if top White House lawyers resigned in protest. Hannity also appeared to accept the fact that the election was over and the President’s best course of action was to go to Florida and engage Biden from there.

While Hannity was fiercely loyal to Trump on-air, his off-air relationship was more complicated. He sometimes complained about Trump’s conduct and fretted that the President was hurting the Republican Party writ large.

Sort of ties into some of the stuff we were discussing yesterday.

Whole thing is worth a read

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Also, this is something I can definitely get behind

https://apnews.com/article/business-elections-jeff-merkley-congress-79c2449c353a55242c3003afa029e464

Dems hone populist appeal with proposed stock trading ban

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — When Rep. Abigail Spanberger first introduced a bill banning stock trading by members of Congress and their families, the Virginia Democrat managed to get only eight co-sponsors. So far this session, 62 — or about one out of every seven House members — have signed on.

It’s a similar story in the Senate. Sen. Jeff Merkley, D-Ore., a once lonely voice on the issue, had just one co-sponsor for his proposed stock trading ban in the last two congressional sessions. Now, he has nine.

The uptick in support reflects a growing lawmaker appetite to tighten the rules around trading after several members faced heavy scrutiny for their stock transactions during the pandemic. While there’s no guarantee any of the proposals will become law, many lawmakers facing the toughest reelection races have embraced the legislation, elevating the ethics issue as a talking point — and potential point of attack — for the midterm campaigns.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BiggerBoat posted:

https://apnews.com/article/business-elections-jeff-merkley-congress-79c2449c353a55242c3003afa029e464

Unless this passes, it means nothing.

Like really, I don't think Democrats and their remaining loyalists realise how empty gestures are without material actions. Money in accounts, food in mouths, people in suits with blue named Wikipedia articles being frogmarched into prison. Anything less than that and they might as well have been sitting around filling their pants with poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 30, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh, I know and realize it won't pass. Just nice to see anyone at all even bringing it up

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

DeeplyConcerned posted:

don't forget the Fulton County DA is looking into pressing charges as well. any day now!

Her grand jury started this week.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like really, I don't think Democrats and their remaining loyalists realise how empty gestures are without material actions. Money in accounts, food in mouths, people in suits with blue named Wikipedia articles being frogmarched into prison. Anything less than that and they might as well have been sitting around filling their pants with poo poo.

The public is correct and this is how politics should work.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, I know and realize it won't pass. Just nice to see anyone at all even bringing it up

I'm absolutely with you in supporting this poo poo, but how would it actually work in a practical sense? First off, what is the working definition of family here? Household? Spouse? Adult children? Parents? Siblings? Friends with benefits?

And please understand that I'm not looking to shoot it down, but most restrictions or rules for jobs really only apply to the employee - I work for a federal contractor, I'm not allowed to smoke cannabis (even though it's legal here). My wife on the other hand can smoke as much as she wants. So can my dad or my brothers for that matter. If that rule were to change to include my family, how in the hell would I prevent my family from smoking cannabis? Furthermore, they could rightly argue that their ability to smoke shouldn't be hampered just because of a job I took.

So back to members of congress and stocks. Yeah, obviously a spouse shouldn't be allowed to trade because they're basically a legal unit. But what happens if that spouse get tired of it, starts a separation and just goes wild trading securities? The member of congress can't forcibly stop that from happening? What in the case of "family" being extended further? If it's easy for a MoC to tell their spouse what they should trade, they can (and have!) pick up the phone and call their parents, siblings, cousins, children and share that same insider info. At the same time, why should I suddenly be unable to trade securities simply because a family member gets elected to congress? What happens to my 401k?

I guess what I'm trying to ask here is what exactly are the best practices here? How do we balance the absolute need for and end to legalized insider trading with the fact that affected family members likely have no agency in entering into these restrictions in the first place?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm absolutely with you in supporting this poo poo, but how would it actually work in a practical sense? First off, what is the working definition of family here? Household? Spouse? Adult children? Parents? Siblings? Friends with benefits?

And please understand that I'm not looking to shoot it down, but most restrictions or rules for jobs really only apply to the employee - I work for a federal contractor, I'm not allowed to smoke cannabis (even though it's legal here). My wife on the other hand can smoke as much as she wants. So can my dad or my brothers for that matter. If that rule were to change to include my family, how in the hell would I prevent my family from smoking cannabis? Furthermore, they could rightly argue that their ability to smoke shouldn't be hampered just because of a job I took.

So back to members of congress and stocks. Yeah, obviously a spouse shouldn't be allowed to trade because they're basically a legal unit. But what happens if that spouse get tired of it, starts a separation and just goes wild trading securities? The member of congress can't forcibly stop that from happening? What in the case of "family" being extended further? If it's easy for a MoC to tell their spouse what they should trade, they can (and have!) pick up the phone and call their parents, siblings, cousins, children and share that same insider info. At the same time, why should I suddenly be unable to trade securities simply because a family member gets elected to congress? What happens to my 401k?

I guess what I'm trying to ask here is what exactly are the best practices here? How do we balance the absolute need for and end to legalized insider trading with the fact that affected family members likely have no agency in entering into these restrictions in the first place?

This is a bunch of gish gollop since you can just look at the actual bill being discussed in that article, Spanberger’s. It's spouse and dependent children. The working definition of family in most legislature would follow that and you'd just define it in the bill. It wouldn't make sense to put the same rules on any extended family since that would just be straight insider trading if they traded because of confidential information provided to them by a relative in Congress.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Solkanar512 posted:

The article is badly mischaracterizing the bill by saying "and their families". The bill covers spouses and dependent children.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/117/hr336/text

e: to summarize an already short bill, it requires them to put covered investments in a blind trust and keep them there until they've been out of office for six months.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 30, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

eviltastic posted:

The article is badly mischaracterizing the bill by saying "and their families". The bill covers spouses and dependent children.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/117/hr336/text

e: to summarize an already short bill, it requires them to put covered investments in a blind trust and keep them there until they've been out of office for six months.

Thanks, I looked three times for the text of the bill and couldn't find it.

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is a bunch of gish gollop since you can just look at the actual bill being discussed in that article, Spanberger’s. It's spouse and dependent children. The working definition of family in most legislature would follow that and you'd just define it in the bill. It wouldn't make sense to put the same rules on any extended family since that would just be straight insider trading if they traded because of confidential information provided to them by a relative in Congress.

You doing ok, buddy? This is a little much for a Saturday afternoon.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

All members liquidate their stocks put into a blind trust and administered by OMB and an independent OMB commission. If you refuse, you can't be seated.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Gumball Gumption posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gishsh galloping (with an "a") would be too much info/questions to respond to but somehow you were able to respond to it* succinctly so you used the term incorrectly.

*not that I agree with your response.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 30, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mooseontheloose posted:

All members liquidate their stocks put into a blind trust and administered by OMB and an independent OMB commission. If you refuse, you can't be seated.

As long as they’re held to a fiduciary standard, that seems fine to me. I presume they would anyway.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Solkanar512 posted:

Thanks, I looked three times for the text of the bill and couldn't find it.

No problem, I found it a little annoying to track down as well. It'd be nice if articles like that would at least give the name of the dang bill. fwiw the referenced bill banning stock trades is here: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/117/s564/text

To respond to your actual post, I'd quibble a bit with your premise. It doesn't seem to me like the concern is legalized insider trading so much as it is (1) an unwillingness or inability to prosecute activity that's already illegal but that we believe is happening regardless, and (2) trying to reign in the basic conflicts of interest from legislators with financial interests that are impacted by the decisions they're making.

I don't think analogies to other jobs work. It makes sense to have uniquely firm or broad rules for congresscritters, because they've got a unique privilege:

US Constitution posted:

Article I, Section 6, Clause 1:

The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the United States. They shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.
"Speech or Debate" has been held to cover a whole lot more legislative activity than just talking. There is an unresolved circuit split right now over how broad the "shall not be questioned" bit is, but the DC Circuit's read would functionally cripple the exact digging you'd need to do to show insider trading in the first place. Here's a CRS report about the clause. When we're looking at people who have not just the usual ways someone working the levers of power can dodge consequences but an explicit right to tell investigators to piss off under many circumstances, it's reasonable to have rules that would be overly harsh if applied to other people and their families.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
FDA is moving to ban all menthol cigarettes and all flavored cigars.

There will be online public listening sessions on June 13 and 15; information on how to access them will be posted here.

There's also going to be a chance to submit comments on both rulemakings, but the dockets seem not to be open yet. I'll link the access info when it's posted if I get the chance; it should be, ah, very interesting.

I didn't get any responses last time, but BATF has also redefined "receiver" for the purpose of gun regulation. The full 98 page rule, which is very complex, is here. The major definitions (as far as I can tell) are below.

quote:

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, the term “frame or receiver” means the following—

(1) The term “frame” means the part of a handgun, or variants thereof, that provides housing or a structure for the primary energized component designed to hold back the hammer, striker, bolt, or similar component prior to initiation of the firing sequence (i.e., sear or equivalent), even if pins or other attachments are required to connect such component to the housing or structure.

(2) The term “receiver” means the part of a rifle, shotgun, or projectile weapon other than a handgun, or variants thereof, that provides housing or a structure for the primary component designed to block or seal the breech prior to initiation of the firing sequence (i.e., bolt, breechblock, or equivalent), even if pins or other attachments are required to connect such component to the housing or structure.

(3) The terms “variant” and “variants thereof” mean a weapon utilizing a similar frame or receiver design irrespective of new or different model designations or configurations, characteristics, features, components, accessories, or attachments. For example, an AK-type firearm with a short stock and a pistol grip is a pistol variant of an AK-type rifle, an AR-type firearm with a short stock and a pistol grip is a pistol variant of an AR-type rifle, and a revolving cylinder shotgun is a shotgun variant of a revolver.

[big set of examples, with images, skipped.]

(b) Firearm muffler or silencer frame or receiver.
The terms “frame” and “receiver” shall mean, in the case of a firearm muffler or firearm silencer, the part of the firearm, such as an outer tube or modular piece, that provides housing or a structure for the primary internal component designed to reduce the sound of a projectile (i.e., baffles, baffling material, expansion chamber, or equivalent). In the case of a modular firearm muffler or firearm silencer device with more than one such part, the terms shall mean the principal housing attached to the weapon that expels a projectile, even if an adapter or other attachments are required to connect the part to the weapon. The terms shall not include a removable end cap of an outer tube or modular piece.

(c) Partially complete, disassembled, or nonfunctional frame or receiver.
The terms “frame” and “receiver” shall include a partially complete, disassembled, or nonfunctional frame or receiver, including a frame or receiver parts kit, that is designed to or may readily be completed, assembled, restored, or otherwise converted to function as a frame or receiver, i.e., to house or provide a structure for the primary energized component of a handgun, breech blocking or sealing component of a projectile weapon other than a handgun, or internal sound reduction component of a firearm muffler or firearm silencer, as the case may be.

The terms shall not include a forging, casting, printing, extrusion, unmachined body, or similar article that has not yet reached a stage of manufacture where it is clearly identifiable as an unfinished component part of a weapon ( e.g., unformed block of metal, liquid polymer, or other raw material). When issuing a classification, the Director may consider any associated templates, jigs, molds, equipment, tools, instructions, guides, or marketing materials that are sold, distributed, or possessed with the item or kit, or otherwise made available by the seller or distributor of the item or kit to the purchaser or recipient of the item or kit. The following are nonexclusive examples that illustrate the definitions:

[more examples skipped.]

(d) Multi-piece frame or receiver.
The term “multi-piece frame or receiver” shall mean a frame or receiver that may be disassembled into multiple modular subparts, i.e., standardized units that may be replaced or exchanged. The term shall not include the internal frame of a pistol that is a complete removable chassis that provides housing for the energized component, unless the chassis itself may be disassembled. The modular subpart(s) identified in accordance with § 478.92 with an importer's or manufacturer's serial number shall be presumed, absent an official determination by the Director or other reliable evidence to the contrary, to be part of the frame or receiver of a weapon or device.

(e) Destroyed frame or receiver.
The terms “frame” and “receiver” shall not include a frame or receiver that is destroyed. For purposes of these definitions, the term “destroyed” means that the frame or receiver has been permanently altered such that it may not readily be completed, assembled, restored, or otherwise converted to function as a frame or receiver. Acceptable methods of destruction include completely melting, crushing, or shredding the frame or receiver, or other method approved by the Director.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I know it's complicated and next to impossible to enforce but so much of what congress does and where they get their donation money, to me, falls under the very definition of insider trading. I don't see where there's much to be done about it because to get elected in the first place, you have to be in bed with this poo poo to start with.

But, fundamentally, if you're passing laws and regulations that effect business, negotiate terms behind closed doors and have a vested interest in any of that poo poo, well...gently caress. I don't even know what to say about that. It breaks my brain.

I'm not sure that putting it investments in a trust would do much either because you can always cut deals that will pay off down the road anyway and just roll poo poo into someone else's portfolio until you can cash in. And who's going to loving enforce it? You can freeze investment accounts but that won't stop Joe Congressman from Maryland taking the long look at poo poo that will benefit him down the road after he becomes a lobbyist or a consultant.

The only thing that makes sense is a 100% across the board ban on really moving any stock at all if you're in office but good loving luck with that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Discendo Vox posted:

FDA is moving to ban all menthol cigarettes and all flavored cigars.

There will be online public listening sessions on June 13 and 15; information on how to access them will be posted here.

There's also going to be a chance to submit comments on both rulemakings, but the dockets seem not to be open yet. I'll link the access info when it's posted if I get the chance; it should be, ah, very interesting.

I didn't get any responses last time, but BATF has also redefined "receiver" for the purpose of gun regulation. The full 98 page rule, which is very complex, is here. The major definitions (as far as I can tell) are below.

Can you elaborate on how this is different from the previous definition and why that’s significant?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

haveblue posted:

Can you elaborate on how this is different from the previous definition and why that’s significant?

Not easily, I'll need to go through the regs basically from scratch. I was hoping there was anyone else with actual BATF and gun regulation experience. I know the definition of receiver is very important, and subject to a lot of abusive circumvention.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

If this doesn't also prevent spouses from trading, this does nothing

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Dpulex posted:

If this doesn't also prevent spouses from trading, this does nothing

I believe this is the House bill discussed in the article, I don't have time to check the senate one atm. It covers spouses and dependent children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

My Kools! :gonk: