Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

No. The novel was published after The Last of Us came out, but it's expanded from a short story written before. It was just steam time for the idea.

Fair enough, I'll check it out.

Unrelated, but when the thread first mentioned The Sadness the first search result that came up for me was a movie of the same name from 2008:

The Sadness 2008 posted:

A depraved couple abuse and eventually sell their own young daughter for drug money, where she is then given to a group of psychopathic wannabe satanists who kill her as a sacrifice. From the grave she rises to seek revenge on those who have caused her pain, using evil henchmen to torture and mutilate them one by one in the most brutal, disgusting ways possible.

That sounds like it could be effectively disgustingly horrible, or it could be dumb trash. The few reviews I've been able to find point directly towards dumb trash, anyone here c/d?

Oh god the trailer on IMDB...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If you find me a place where I can watch it ill do so and report back

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Related to the grey alien talk a while back, the director of Uncle Peckerhead just put out a music video for Five Hundred Bucks, the new band from the guy who played Max. Gives me a lot of Hold Steady vibes.

https://youtu.be/t_8d5CSnXjA

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I remember thinking It Comes at Night was dull, but I know a lot of people liked it. I should give it another chance.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Watching The Happiness of the Katakuris and this moment feels instantly iconic.

Hell yeah, that movie owns and that moment is fantastic. I might actually rewatch it this month, haven’t seen it in maybe a decade.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m watching the 1986 Invaders From Mars on Svengoolie right now, and it’s surprisingly good, at least the first half before the army shows up to turn it into an action movie. Even then, it keeps up the weird feeling of a kid’s terror at being all alone.

But the really hosed-up part is there’s a scene where the kid watches Lifeforce on tv in the middle of the afternoon. The 80s really were a different time.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m watching the 1986 Invaders From Mars on Svengoolie right now, and it’s surprisingly good, at least the first half before the army shows up to turn it into an action movie. Even then, it keeps up the weird feeling of a kid’s terror at being all alone.

But the really hosed-up part is there’s a scene where the kid watches Lifeforce on tv in the middle of the afternoon. The 80s really were a different time.

That was another of the directors earlier films so it was a little easter egg.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Oh you thought this bit was over?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've made it to Season 6 of the X files and it is with the exception of Drive and Dreamland not good so far. The X Files movie was pretty good though I watched that between Season 5 and Season 6.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Oh you thought this bit was over?

LMAO that one's great too. If I had any sort of photoshop skills I'd do one that says "The Hitcher"

EDIT: Duel would also be hilarious

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Road Games would also work for that but I have no photoshop skills.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

LMAO that one's great too. If I had any sort of photoshop skills I'd do one that says "The Hitcher"

EDIT: Duel would also be hilarious

Say less

Hollismason posted:

Road Games would also work for that but I have no photoshop skills.

dorium fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 1, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the hitcher owns

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Real good movie.

The remake was lame. I saw it opening night as a teen. I think I snuck in. Depends when it came out. Sean Bean was OK but idk. I laughed that he didn’t explode when he got shot point blank in the chest.

Realistic or not it was a boring death.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the original got a sequel and its not a good movie but it has jake busey as the hitcher which makes it more entertaining than it has any right to be

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

quick and dirty

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dorium you rock, I'm cackling at these LMAO

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

dorium posted:

quick and dirty

:discourse:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I laughed that he didn’t explode when he got shot point blank in the chest.

What was the name of that movie that came out a few years ago, I forget the name but it was a couple that got trapped by a shooter in the desert basically. The gun wounds in that movie were INSANE, I'm sure the name's gonna hit me as soon as I post this

edit: Downrange I think is what I'm thinking of

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
"It Follows" poster except with barbie in the car.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ok I had one more, last one.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

What was the name of that movie that came out a few years ago, I forget the name but it was a couple that got trapped by a shooter in the desert basically. The gun wounds in that movie were INSANE, I'm sure the name's gonna hit me as soon as I post this

edit: Downrange I think is what I'm thinking of

directed by Ryuhei Kitamura, director of The Midnight Meat Train! he makes good stuff

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

dorium posted:

Ahahahhaha :allears:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

dorium posted:

lol these are great

Speaking of zombie movies, I've seen Night of the Living Dead (1990) three times, and while I absolutely think it's a great movie, each time I see it, it depresses the hell out of me. I don't get that with any of the other Dead movies and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. Pretty much all zombie media inevitably has people gently caress each other over, but it kind of feels like Night is meanest about it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

It's been a minute since a really good ff flick dropped

I'm watching the q series now and take this back even though it's a series and not a movie

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Watched Censor last night and enjoyed it quite a lot. Liked how the whole movie was pretty much a long set up to a punchline: How diseased/dumb would you actually need to be to be influenced to kill by violent videos?

Quite cathartic if you remember actually having those discussions when the tabloids were doing their thing back in the day.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Count Thrashula posted:

Yeah and even with the Sadness you really have to stretch the definition of zombie. Like, I blame 28 Days Later for really stretching what "zombie" means in popular culture.

There wasn't really a whole lot going on zombie-wise when 28 Days came out so it felt pretty fresh.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Has everyone seen X by now? It's A24 so maybe it was on everybody's radars. I'm not like a huge horror buff so I don't keep track of what's coming up but do watch them happily whenever something interesting pops up. But this was very fun and good. Kind of a creepy retro slasher.

dorium posted:

quick and dirty

:yeshaha:

Hollismason posted:

I've made it to Season 6 of the X files and it is with the exception of Drive and Dreamland not good so far. The X Files movie was pretty good though I watched that between Season 5 and Season 6.

I think Season 5 was the peak and the movie was a good way to mostly cloe it up. But season 6 is still pretty good, though it all has the wrong feel to it due to california :argh:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
The Black Phone looks interesting.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

alf_pogs posted:

directed by Ryuhei Kitamura, director of The Midnight Meat Train! he makes good stuff

And Versus, the best “people fighting in the woods” movie ever made!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I have nothing to say except that my mobile ringtone is once again the theme from Halloween.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

davidspackage posted:

lol these are great

Speaking of zombie movies, I've seen Night of the Living Dead (1990) three times, and while I absolutely think it's a great movie, each time I see it, it depresses the hell out of me. I don't get that with any of the other Dead movies and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. Pretty much all zombie media inevitably has people gently caress each other over, but it kind of feels like Night is meanest about it.

I think it's because all of the Dead movies deal with poo poo just falling apart, pretty much through no fault of the protagonists. In the original Night, it's not even "bad people" that are the group's undoing, it's just a series of gently caress-ups that could happen to anybody, and then nobody gets out alive. It's just really nihilistic and bleak, and while Day is the one I'd say is the closest to matching the bleakness of the original, at least some of the good people get away in the end.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I think it's because all of the Dead movies deal with poo poo just falling apart, pretty much through no fault of the protagonists. In the original Night, it's not even "bad people" that are the group's undoing, it's just a series of gently caress-ups that could happen to anybody, and then nobody gets out alive. It's just really nihilistic and bleak, and while Day is the one I'd say is the closest to matching the bleakness of the original, at least some of the good people get away in the end.
I think that it's funny for a film that set off a genre known for survivalist fantasy, there is really absolutely no survivalist fantasy to be found in Night, and the film even ends by critiquing the very people who would enjoy such a scenario.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Somebody put Mulholland Drive on a pregnancy test.

David Lynch has put a $1 million bounty to whoever can bring them in, dead or alive.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Kvlt! posted:

Somebody put Mulholland Drive on a pregnancy test.

David Lynch has put a $1 million bounty to whoever can bring them in, dead or alive.

That's actually not Mulholand Drive but Doom running on a pregnancy test

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

That's actually not Mulholand Drive but Doom running on a pregnancy test

ENHANCE

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Are there any recent really good horror comedies? I'm interested in watching Horror but nothing depressing. The last good horror comedy I watched was Extra Ordinary and Studio 666.

Extra Ordinary was a little bit better than Studio 666 but both were still a good time.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Are there any recent really good horror comedies? I'm interested in watching Horror but nothing depressing. The last good horror comedy I watched was Extra Ordinary and Studio 666.

Extra Ordinary was a little bit better than Studio 666 but both were still a good time.

Shaun of the Dead is probably the best overall that I can think of.
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

Not sure what else I'd consider "good". A lot of good horror movies have considerable comedic elements like Fright Night.
Cabin in the Woods is kind of a divisive subject.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Psycho Goreman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

MacheteZombie posted:

Psycho Goreman

I already seen it.