Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

George R. Binks Memorial Ward

What a shameful snipe :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

pro-click

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
The Greasy Strangler is the most sadgoon movie ive ever seen.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

X JAKK posted:

The Greasy Strangler is the most sadgoon movie ive ever seen.

Ur monitor was off the whole time

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bonaventure posted:

this page of the thread is rancid

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It came up in another thread that Ozark season 4 and Outer Range both started In media res.

As did Tokyo Vice.

Is it just the obvious evolution of the "start the trailer with a flashy 5 second mini trailer" thing? God I hope it doesn't become that ubiquitous :manning:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

It came up in another thread that Ozark season 4 and Outer Range both started In media res.

As did Tokyo Vice.

Is it just the obvious evolution of the "start the trailer with a flashy 5 second mini trailer" thing? God I hope it doesn't become that ubiquitous :manning:

The Tokyo Vice one is baffling how they didn’t bookend the flash forward in the premiere with one at the end of the season especially with it being extremely unsure there will be any more seasons. Especially with Ansel being accused of sexual assault etc.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I've started to just turn off a trailer when that poo poo happens, its irritating. It's even worse then it's for a teaser trailer. The teaser does not need a teaser.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I like when they announce the future release of a teaser that itself announces the future release of the trailer

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lister posted:

The naming shouldn't bother anyone if they understand that new elements have been getting dumbass names for decades now. They pretty much just take the name of a person or place and put -ium on the end. The era of naming cool poo poo after gods, myths, or legends is over.

If they were going to be 'realistic' about it, they'd name this fancy new element after Ytterby, Sweden

AARD VARKMAN posted:

As did Tokyo Vice.

it's infuriating that when streaming old shows like columbo, it starts with a minute-long clip show of the episode you're about to watch

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 30, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Is Ozark good? Watched a bit and it felt like a worse Breaking Bad, and aside from Arrested Development of course I haven't liked Jason Bateman in anything. Does it come in to its own later?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DaysBefore posted:

Is Ozark good? Watched a bit and it felt like a worse Breaking Bad, and aside from Arrested Development of course I haven't liked Jason Bateman in anything. Does it come in to its own later?

It kinda just glides along at "somewhat worse Breaking Bad" levels the entire time

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

I bailed after the first season and yeah it’s breaking bad but blue instead of orange

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Everything Everywhere All At Once was very good

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LanceHunter posted:

Trip report: 30 minutes in to Alien Private Eye.

Somehow, this movie is even weirder than it looks in the BotW episode. (They completely skipped over Lemro’s surfer dude alien buddy!) Watching this on the Vinegar Syndrome blu-ray, and the extremely clear transfer makes it easy to see that this movie only belongs on VHS. The film stock is grainy and terrible, and they often couldn’t match color temperatures between shots.

I’ve gotta hit the gym now, but will be finishing this up later. Just finished the scene where the love interest’s brother got shot up with the bad guy’s drug because he lead a group of do-holder drunks to fight all the thugs in a bar.

Finished Alien Private Eye. The black disc prop has to be held a certain way when the actors are showing it, because the two halves don’t actually stay together. Also, the love interest’s jock brother becomes a much bigger role that you’d expect. There’s a tearful, sweaty, “getting clean” scene with him and Lemro. There’s also an car explosion that is so extremely overdone that it belonged in Action USA.

Watching the behind-the-scenes stuff now, and apparently the guy who played Lemro helped start MMA with underground fights in the 80s. (And apparently he’s a reverend now, at 13 years sober.)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Azubah posted:

I've started to just turn off a trailer when that poo poo happens, its irritating. It's even worse then it's for a teaser trailer. The teaser does not need a teaser.

I only stick around for in media res if there's a record scratch and an everyman saying "so, I bet you're wondering how I got here..."

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Tunicate posted:

If they were going to be 'realistic' about it, they'd name this fancy new element after Ytterby, Sweden

it's infuriating that when streaming old shows like columbo, it starts with a minute-long clip show of the episode you're about to watch

Tonight on Murder, She Wrote

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Scaramouche posted:

I only stick around for in media res if there's a record scratch and an everyman saying "so, I bet you're wondering how I got here..."

has there ever been a movie that went like *record scratch* i bet you're wondering ah gently caress it who cares and the movie just resumes

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yes, but I'm not going to tell you which one

You will be left with only mystery

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Stink Billyums posted:

I like when they announce the future release of a teaser that itself announces the future release of the trailer

SHINY LOGO EMERGING FROM SHADOW

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Endless Trash posted:

I bailed after the first season and yeah it’s breaking bad but blue instead of orange

the first season is also by far the best it might be the most wheel-spinny show i've ever seen. if you ever want to watch anything with julia garner in the future don't watch this she'll wear out her welcome fast and you'll be completely loving sick of her forever

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Collapsing Farts posted:

i bet you're wondering if i give a gently caress i do, a lot :(

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1520522997882363913

This says a lot about the people who'd go to that thing.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

More interesting backstory than 99% of SW characters imo

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
How is that you can't even make up a back story on a paid cruise?

I am an EB5 medical monkey of EmPal MemSuRecon.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
my background is that im a gullible consumer that bought an overpriced ticket to a crappy "immersive" theme park

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

SEVEN SEASONS

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Sunk Dunk posted:

my background is that im a gullible consumer that bought an overpriced ticket to a crappy "immersive" theme park

Go’ol Labyl from the inner rim planet Fleest

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Collapsing Farts posted:

wait is it fight club where it's like "bob has bitch tits, wait let's go back even further" cause that doesn't count

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1520541566792003584?t=85RRLJlRNLbmuA6XaLGIPw&s=19

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
I find in media res freaks people the gently caress out post cellphones. Everyone is so bad at watching poo poo now. I've lost count of the times I've seen people panic and start skipping back worried they missed something important if the movie or show doesn't explicitly lay out what is happening and why even if they've been paying attention since the very beginning.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's the fictional drug in Stone Cold?

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Kingo Ligma posted:

I find in media res freaks people the gently caress out post cellphones. Everyone is so bad at watching poo poo now. I've lost count of the times I've seen people panic and start skipping back worried they missed something important if the movie or show doesn't explicitly lay out what is happening and why even if they've been paying attention since the very beginning.

netflix interface around the time house of cards season 2 came out it was actually easy to accidentally click the second episode first, so maybe these people are just traumatized like me

yes i had the zoe barnes twist spoiled for me and i was like "they just show her on cctv being pushed into a train? this is not the medias res i signed on for nah turns out i'm just a moron

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
lol top 100
https://twitter.com/DaltonRoss/status/1520410576735907841

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Pac and Cheese posted:

netflix interface around the time house of cards season 2 came out it was actually easy to accidentally click the second episode first, so maybe these people are just traumatized like me

yes i had the zoe barnes twist spoiled for me and i was like "they just show her on cctv being pushed into a train? this is not the medias res i signed on for nah turns out i'm just a moron

I got burned like that with the major twist/spoiler in Gurren Lagann and I will never forgive Netflix for it.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the fictional drug in Stone Cold?

Wasn't it "P2P"? Which is a real reference to meth.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Nae posted:

I got burned like that with the major twist/spoiler in Gurren Lagann and I will never forgive Netflix for it.

thank god i'm not the only one. the first episode was this big banner i thought was just a header and all the rest of the episodes were in a separate list. i mean technically it's my fault but only kinda

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Who in the gently caress are any of these

Edit: 94?!?!

This insult will not stand

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kingo Ligma posted:

I like it when movies or tv shows do this if it’s warranted because often you have to piece together what is going on and it forces you to pay attention. Michael Mann stuff is good for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Looking for a good three movie list for next Friday. I'm thinking Low Blow, Stone Cold, and a third to round it out. Any suggestions? How's the one where the movie freeze frames on an explosion and just says the guy is serving a life sentence?