Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

a liberal solution would be like, torque taxes, or a tax credit when you buy a car with a 0-60 slower than some number. or maybe just per cylinder?

i'm forcing myself to stop thinking about this now.

the liberal solution is to not do anything and just talk about the urgency of the climate crisis instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Horace posted:

everything in its own self contained little box. I had some of these micro machines clip-together buildings as a child, I never realised they were so accurate.

Needs more parking lots.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

cool av posted:

what sort of creatures inhabit this landscape, I wonder?

hmmm, there appears to be insufficient parking at the panera bread, we better increase the minimum parking space requirement again

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
In the future leftists want leisure activities would be paramount and "labor" would consist of like 1 day a week. During the other 6 days there would be machine enthusiasts competing with the various shops to create the "best" vehicles on land/sea/air and maybe space with various restriction imposed by the various leagues.

Redesigning public infrastructure is a social solution to a social problem, i.e. if the road needs to exist then it should be designed to be safe for the society we live in and the type of traffic we have decided to allow to travel on it and it should be the best road that is possible to make.
Keeping the road but just putting speed bumps, i.e. making it worse as it's function, would be a technical "solution" to the problem imposed on society by the roads existence and it's encouraged use. You absolutely see liberals push that as a solution to traffic "going too fast" through their neighborhoods.

In conclusion technical solutions to social problems, aren't solutions at all, so stop suggesting them, they are cringe.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Needs more parking lots.

More walkable too. You can tell it's a child's toy because it's so unrealisitc

mystes
May 31, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Redesigning public infrastructure is a social solution to a social problem, i.e. if the road needs to exist then it should be designed to be safe for the society we live in and the type of traffic we have decided to allow to travel on it and it should be the best road that is possible to make.
Keeping the road but just putting speed bumps, i.e. making it worse as it's function, would be a technical "solution" to the problem imposed on society by the roads existence and it's encouraged use. You absolutely see liberals push that as a solution to traffic "going too fast" through their neighborhoods.

In conclusion technical solutions to social problems, aren't solutions at all, so stop suggesting them, they are cringe.
This is totally incoherent. Redesigning roads and adding speed bumps are both equally "technically solutions". You're just saying that things are good when they don't get in they way of you going vroom vroom and bad when they do.

What you don't seem to realize is that you're no different from any other carbrains. All carbrains hate other cars and want to drive on an empty road where they're the only car. Wanting to go vroom vroom doesn't make you a leftist just because there would be more time for vroom vroom if people didn't have to work a zillion hours a week to survive.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
cringe

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Cars are cringe, it's true

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

you post like elon musk

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Norton posted:

20 years ago i drove across texas and it was a very boring drive but your post reminded me that they had tons of stupid signs all over the highway. i can't find a picture but there was one type that said "observe road signs". as if someone noticed people weren't obeying the signs so their solution was to make more signs that told people to read the other signs. i'm sure it was like a million dollars to put all those stupid things up across the entire state and there is a 0% chance they helped anyone.

another good example of this is the 11 Foot 8 Bridge in north carolina. When the videos first started it had a generic "11'8"" sign with yellow lights and people would hit the beam that protects the bridge. Now they raised the bridge 8 more inches, it has a stoplight, and it has a sign that reads "OVER HEIGHT MUST TURN" that flashes when it detects a tall vehicle approaching....and people still hit the beam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpwASaUsLis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWTY2Pi1uKA

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I wish every car and truck and SUV and whatever other genre of car was dead!!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Peanut President posted:

another good example of this is the 11 Foot 8 Bridge in north carolina. When the videos first started it had a generic "11'8"" sign with yellow lights and people would hit the beam that protects the bridge. Now they raised the bridge 8 more inches, it has a stoplight, and it has a sign that reads "OVER HEIGHT MUST TURN" that flashes when it detects a tall vehicle approaching....and people still hit the beam.

Great YouTube channel

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Peanut President posted:

I love this loving bridge, i love it. it was even stupider than you said.

- starts with an 11'8" sign, people drove into the bridge.
- they added a height sensor which lit up a sign when an overheight vehicle approached. people drove into the bridge.
- they add a more noticeable yellow barrier. people drove into the bridge.
- THEN they added a new height sensor, which, when it detects an overheight vehicle stops ALL the traffic for 30 seconds and illuminates a huge sign right in the driver's face reading "OVERHEIGHT. MUST TURN". People drove into the bridge.
- Finally they spent the money to raise the railway a bit, and people went and found themselves slightly higher boxtrucks.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Lower the bridge.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Raise the bridge, replace road with light rail

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

In the future leftists want leisure activities would be paramount and "labor" would consist of like 1 day a week. During the other 6 days there would be machine enthusiasts competing with the various shops to create the "best" vehicles on land/sea/air and maybe space with various restriction imposed by the various leagues.

What? I just want a guaranteed job housing food and healthcare gently caress I'd work 6 day weeks if that were the case

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Are you guys ok in this thread? How about you go for a nice relaxing drive down the boulevard?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Peanut President posted:

the only problem with this bridge is that it doesn't eat BMWs and SUVs. more bollards

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

hey did you know that streets can and should be more than just for cars? no, you don't, because you have a severe case of car brain and need to get the gently caress out of this thread

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

literally better things aren't possible: the post. gently caress off!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I really like good roads and driving fast on good roads but I still just feel like I'm a hostage while doing it. Even a kind of slow train would be so much better.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Cup Runneth Over posted:

the only problem with this bridge is that it doesn't eat BMWs and SUVs. more bollards

oh you want this bridge, it has a trick kerb to smush cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3-UugI0JoA

(cars at 1:35)

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Horace posted:

oh you want this bridge, it has a trick kerb to smush cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3-UugI0JoA

(cars at 1:35)

Lmao 10'6"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmfao

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If you want to vroom vroom in our utopian carless future there will always be a need for ambulance drivers.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sphyre posted:

hey did you know that streets can and should be more than just for cars? no, you don't, because you have a severe case of car brain and need to get the gently caress out of this thread

The gently caress? Where did I imply that the road would be car exclusive? I specifically said it should be designed for the type of traffic we as a society would allow on it, maybe that means a bike exclusive road like the one in Burlington that goes along lake champlaign. I think the car brain is coming from your head, friend.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

docbeard posted:

If you want to vroom vroom in our utopian carless future there will always be a need for ambulance drivers.

That is a type of precision driving where the absolute speed is actually the least important part as the main value add of the ambulance is that the patient is being triaged and the hospital is actually prepared to receive them. Also they are typically private companies that aren't covered by insurance, :capitalism:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
you may not like it but this is what the maximum size car should be

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
this is what all cars should be

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Are you guys ok in this thread? How about you go for a nice relaxing drive down the boulevard?

how about you go gently caress yourself

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

rub it in why don't you :qq:

i walk alone, i walk alone :qq: on this empty street on the boulevard of broken dreams~

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

more like the stroad of broken urban planning

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i hate cars

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
I hate the bastard automobile

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

docbeard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldi-6Lbr7hM
Vroom vroom. Gotta save lives. Get outta the way! My favorite part is when he hops into the oncoming traffic lane.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

how about you go gently caress yourself
Actually I'm meeting my fitness goals when I ride my bike around town.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns46Z10IU4s&t=50s

But for real, I bike more than I drive. Even for errands. I'm on my women's bicycle with a baguette in the basket riding around loving Texas.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

First you must kill the automobile in your head

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Millions dead from henry fords invention, the automobile

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Cloks posted:

i hate cars

Samuel Glompers posted:

I hate the bastard automobile

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

As it is the cops here don’t enforce traffic laws at all anymore and every time I go out I see speed racer stuff. Last Saturday I saw some guy in a Charger shoot right across two lanes of traffic to use an on ramp + gore zone to pass at high speed. Would be nice if we didn’t sell people 400 horsepower cars to do that poo poo.

My favorites are the ones who dip across 4 lanes of traffic to gain 1 car length of distance.

Suplex Liberace posted:

I wish every car and truck and SUV and whatever other genre of car was dead!!

debated this the other day, and the answer that came up was vans. need to move some poo poo? van. Need to move poo poo by 4x4? van. need to haul 12 of your closest friends? van.

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 03:27 on May 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I have this great idea for a vehicle. It's like a car, but on rails and you can connect them together. And they go really fast. And run on electricity. And someone else drives them, and there's space for lots of people to sit. And there's WiFi.