Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

Late game character recruitment spoilers: lol it rules that Maxwell gets a once-per-battle auto-revive as a passive skill. I guess appearing to die but turning up alive is just a thing he does sometimes.

for fun, you can also give them the revival accessory, both of them if you go through the whole game with no deaths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's kind of remarkable how every single new thing I learn about Hyzante makes them even more despicable. Every time I think "surely this is the worst thing they're going to reveal to me about this country," there's something even worse. I have a few chapters left to go I think and I'm sure there's even more, even worse poo poo for me to learn about.

At this point I'm already more willing to swallow every ounce if pride I have left and ally with fuckin Aesfrost just to crush Hyzante to dust than I am to even pretend to work with Hyzante any longer.

Aesfrost is kind of a fun fakeout because they're the ones whose invasion kicks off the whole plot and seem like they're definitely the "main villains." They have all the aesthetics of the classic evil empire and in many ways live up to those aesthetics. Don't get me wrong, Aesfrost are huge assholes, too. But Hyzante is like a whole order of magnitude more horrifying.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 28, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Harrow posted:

It's kind of remarkable how every single new thing I learn about Hyzante makes them even more despicable. Every time I think "surely this is the worst thing they're going to reveal to me about this country," there's something even worse. I have a few chapters left to go I think and I'm sure there's even more, even worse poo poo for me to learn about.

At this point I'm already more willing to swallow every ounce if pride I have left and ally with fuckin Aesfrost just to crush Hyzante to dust than I am to even pretend to work with Hyzante any longer.

Aesfrost is kind of a fun fakeout because they're the ones whose invasion kicks off the whole plot and seem like they're definitely the "main villains." They have all the aesthetics of the classic evil empire and in many ways live up to those aesthetics. Don't get me wrong, Aesfrost are huge assholes, too. But Hyzante is like a whole order of magnitude more horrifying.

I went against Hyzante in the end and jfc the last battle is horrifying. I'm sure they do the same with Aesfrost but I stand by my decision to destroy Hyzante.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Enjoying the game a lot so far, just hit Chapter 7. Have some questions, though: am I expected to grind the mental mock battles for exp? I'm finding the recommended level is outpacing me a bit. Also, is there ever going to be a good way to get materials for upgrades/promotions?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Arist posted:

Enjoying the game a lot so far, just hit Chapter 7. Have some questions, though: am I expected to grind the mental mock battles for exp? I'm finding the recommended level is outpacing me a bit. Also, is there ever going to be a good way to get materials for upgrades/promotions?

If any of your units are below the recommended level, they get a huge amount of bonus XP whenever you do anything. So you shouldn't really ever have to grind - though I'd usually play the newest unlocked mock battle in between chapters anyway. Late in the game/in new game plus there might be more of a need to grind to get left-behind units up to level. Cash and materials will be in more plentiful supply later on also.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm towards the end of my first playthrough and have never had to truly grind. I usually do new mock battles as they unlock, but otherwise grinding hasn't been necessary.

One nice thing is that if you do want to grind up a unit you haven't used in a long while, it's really, really fast. If you're like 4 levels or more below a battle's recommended level, you get a full level for every action you take, even just using an item or something. So if you have someone who's like level 12 and you take them into a level 24 battle, they'll get a full level for each action up to like level 20, and then a half level per action until 22 or around there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, question about the Chapter 17 choice:

Is Benedict's idea not supposed to sound like the best one? Outside of the Golden Route, since I presume this is where that would be a choice if I was on that path. I mean I don't know how things shake out, but it seems to me like defeating Hyzante would also allow us to liberate the Roselle, while Frederica's plan leaves Glenbrook completely at the mercy of both nations that want to conquer it.

Meanwhile Roland's plan is batshit insane.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Benedict's plan cleaves very close to the golden route. But there are problems with what he plans. Mainly that in allying with Aesfrost his plan might well end up as just another chapter in the forever war when Serenoa and Gustadolph find something to upset the balance of power.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

So, question about the Chapter 17 choice:

Is Benedict's idea not supposed to sound like the best one? Outside of the Golden Route, since I presume this is where that would be a choice if I was on that path. I mean I don't know how things shake out, but it seems to me like defeating Hyzante would also allow us to liberate the Roselle, while Frederica's plan leaves Glenbrook completely at the mercy of both nations that want to conquer it.

Meanwhile Roland's plan is batshit insane.

imo benedict's plan would have unacceptable casualties given the arms race between aesfrost and hyzante, and the zeal with which he pushes for serenoa to take the throne honestly made me kind of uncomfortable

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

imo benedict's plan would have unacceptable casualties given the arms race between aesfrost and hyzante, and the zeal with which he pushes for serenoa to take the throne honestly made me kind of uncomfortable

Yeah, I haven't made the choice yet but that part was the one part that gave me pause. I mean, I agree with him that Roland's a lovely king, but he's so thoroughly into the idea of Serenoa being king that it made me question his motives a bit.

As far as casualties, it feels like all of the plans have unacceptable casualties, which I suppose is where the Golden Route comes in. Roland's plan sacrifices the Rosellan people in perpetuity. Benedict's risks the most destructive war. Frederica's basically just leaves Glenbrook (including the Wolffort demesne) at both Aesfrost and Hyzante's mercy, and both have indicated they'll stop at nothing to get that salt mine.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I haven't made the choice yet but that part was the one part that gave me pause. I mean, I agree with him that Roland's a lovely king, but he's so thoroughly into the idea of Serenoa being king that it made me question his motives a bit.

As far as casualties, it feels like all of the plans have unacceptable casualties, which I suppose is where the Golden Route comes in. Roland's plan sacrifices the Rosellan people in perpetuity. Benedict's risks the most destructive war. Frederica's basically just leaves Glenbrook (including the Wolffort demesne) at both Aesfrost and Hyzante's mercy, and both have indicated they'll stop at nothing to get that salt mine.

tbh i ended up going with fred's plan on my first run because i respected her looking at the whole mess and being like, no gently caress this. if it sucks, hit da bricks!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I thought of the three Benedict's plan was probably the most realistic one for a good outcome for Norzelia at large, Frederica's pretty understandable given where she was coming from but felt like an abdication of duty on Seranoa's part, and Roland's was lol wut.

The fact that you have to play fantasy Hitler sim to 100% the game is kinda of turning me off of repeat playthroughs, not gonna lie.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought of the three Benedict's plan was probably the most realistic one for a good outcome for Norzelia at large, Frederica's pretty understandable given where she was coming from but felt like an abdication of duty on Seranoa's part, and Roland's was lol wut.

The fact that you have to play fantasy Hitler sim to 100% the game is kinda of turning me off of repeat playthroughs, not gonna lie.

I don't really think I'll be doing a playthrough with Roland's route so I won't be fully 100%ing the game either, but I'll probably do two more playthroughs at least to see whichever of Frederica's or Benedict's I don't pick this time, as well as the Golden Route.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Moon Monster posted:

Bruceski posted:

A lot of the decisions, even if I'm leaning one way, I wonder what happens on the other path.

[Giving up the settlement] is one I will never do.

Hits a bit too close to home, given family history. I mean, credit to the writing for not making everything sunshine harmless decisions, but bad news for completionism.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
No spoilers on what actually happens, but as I read it at the time the apparent pros and cons of each plan:

Frederica: Pros: free Roselle, an actual hope of peace for you and yours, spitting in the face of Hyzante
Cons: Leaving Wolffort and Glennbrook behind

Benedict: Pros: Smashing up Hyzante but good
Cons: Kicking off another big scale war
Also Serenoa becoming king of Glennbrook and letting Gustadolph get a slice of the pie may be a pro or con depending on your read of the character

Roland: Pros: lol yes there will definitely never be another war if we hand the keys to the slaving fascist theocrats get the hell out of here Roland
Cons: you've been to Hyzante and have met the people running the place, you can't even pretend you don't know what you're doing

In the end what tipped me over was it felt more like video game logic than actual logic that Benedict's plan would work out as intended, particularly given the nepoticide and war crimes Gustadolph committed to get control of the mine the first time around, whereas Frederica's cutting remark about waiting for emancipation to fit into the next conqueror's timetable resonated with me on a far higher level. Plus I'd spent half the game thinking "why don't we just kick down the door, pull out the Roselle, and gently caress the consequences?" and I was genuinely not expecting the game to actually give me that option, that was cool.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Benedict’s plan is definitely the closest of the three to a “good” ending but it’s also awful in its own ways.

I finally finished every mock battle on hard and got everyone to lv 50 with every weapon skill so I did the first battle of the Golden Path.

Seems literally impossible to win without using the fire traps. I ended up using three of them and it was the only way. Not that there’s any reason not to use them, at that point in the story. But drat that was an absurdly hard battle and I think I had four units left at the end. On to Twinsgate, I guess!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Your last paragraph were exactly my thoughts too

Edit: ZZ not BB

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Golden Route

Seems literally impossible to win without using the fire traps. I ended up using three of them and it was the only way. Not that there’s any reason not to use them, at that point in the story. But drat that was an absurdly hard battle and I think I had four units left at the end. On to Twinsgate, I guess!

I managed to pull it off mostly via ladder shenanigans and Hughette's Take Aim ability absolutely wrecking the action economy. I suicide rushed Exharme and his mage buddies, and just huddled up on the roofs afterwards. I tried to use Anna to take out any additional mages that spawned, which she absolutely could not do solo, but her being a target that can appear and disappear at will did a lot to mess up the AI and ensured they never managed to climb said ladders. Took for frickin ever and was kind of cheesy, but it also earned me 283 kudos which came in real handy for buying upgrade materials and promotion items for my other teams.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

In the end what tipped me over was it felt more like video game logic than actual logic that Benedict's plan would work out as intended, particularly given the nepoticide and war crimes Gustadolph committed to get control of the mine the first time around, whereas Frederica's cutting remark about waiting for emancipation to fit into the next conqueror's timetable resonated with me on a far higher level. Plus I'd spent half the game thinking "why don't we just kick down the door, pull out the Roselle, and gently caress the consequences?" and I was genuinely not expecting the game to actually give me that option, that was cool.

Every time Benedict talked about how now wasn’t convenient for Rosellan freedom I thought of that MLK quote about how “wait” almost always meant “never” when it came to asking those in power for the freedom of the oppressed.

Benedict doesn’t have the Rosellan interest at heart a fraction of an inch beyond what he needs to keep Serenoa engaged and with Serenoa submitting to his desires there would always be one more reason to push things back. I watched the ending and it just sounds like the end of the US Civil War. The Roselle are freed but not equal, and their new freedom, combined with the fact that the state that violently opposed the end of that oppression no longer exists, will be used as justification to ignore their plight in the future.

My opinion is so colored by my particular view of my native history I’d be curious to hear what people from other countries think of this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

God, the Chapter 8 fight with Rufus if you decide to walk into Silvio's obvious trap suuuuuuuuucks, glad I finally got through that.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Arist posted:

God, the Chapter 8 fight with Rufus if you decide to walk into Silvio's obvious trap suuuuuuuuucks, glad I finally got through that.

That fight pissed me off because it felt like you should have been better prepared. Instead, you're still spread out all over the map and had no advantage that I could tell. A prefight cutscene where you could bribe the mercenary to piss off, or join you, would have been great.

It's like, here's a trap that if you step on it will hit you in the face and their plan was "lean into the punch".

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
That map wasn't too bad for me. I put Hughette on a house in the middle of the map and just shot Rufus again and again.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That map sucked, any map where the conditions are “Don’t let Roland fall” sucks, especially on Hard.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Okay I beat the golden route with pretty much 100% (I didn’t see all the character side stories, not that you can track them) and you get a pretty cool alternate title screen that plays the theme song with lyrics and shows a bunch of scenes from the three normal endings, then shows every character using their special weapon skill move. Also there’s a crown over the name, I’m not sure if that’s for everyone or just if you did it on hard (it’s the same crown from beating the mock battles on hard. Either way, it’s pretty cool.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm almost done with my first playthrough and this game has been a ton of fun. I was going to just do my initial playthrough and maybe a Golden Route run, but I really want three out of the 4 units you can get in the chapter 15 choice so I'm going to attempt 3 runs total.

Do people find subsequent runs to go quicker? I'm in chapter 19 of my current playthrough and I've got a little over 50 hours in though I've spent a few hours grinding gold in mock battles.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm almost done with my first playthrough and this game has been a ton of fun. I was going to just do my initial playthrough and maybe a Golden Route run, but I really want three out of the 4 units you can get in the chapter 15 choice so I'm going to attempt 3 runs total.

Do people find subsequent runs to go quicker? I'm in chapter 19 of my current playthrough and I've got a little over 50 hours in though I've spent a few hours grinding gold in mock battles.

I wish they had made one or two of those recruitable characters available elsewhere.

But if a single playthrough took 50 hours, another go-through would take about 10-20 hours. Each chapter takes about 2 hours on a casual playthrough. Skip the story you've already seen and that drops to about 20-30 minutes.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I wish in NG+ it let you pick whatever chapter you wanted to replay

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

Playing in Hard for both, I'm finding that my NG+ run is going slower than my original just because I'm having to level the units I didn't use on my previous run, requiring a bunch more grinding in old mental mock battles. Plus all the the beginning fights seem harder. I guess I just shouldn't play hard mode.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The first fight is hard on NG+ but then it gets pretty easy. Even on NG++ if you’re on normal it isn’t bad. But hard makes the first battle insanely difficult.

My subsequent runs were quicker because I skipped cutscenes and did less grinding. But then my final playthrough required a bunch of grinding to get every character to 50 with maxed weapon skills.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It sucks poo poo that there's no reward for beating the 100-man mental map. No gold, no materials, nada.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The World Inferno posted:

It sucks poo poo that there's no reward for beating the 100-man mental map. No gold, no materials, nada.

The what?! Which one was that?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The battle is super fun – you have to beat 100 enemies that keep coming and coming. Just when ya think you're on top of things, another 4-8 spawn on the sides and give ya run for it.

...but after all that there's 0 cash and no item rewards, just kudos. Battle is it's own reward is fine, but left a sour feeling after looking forward to the cash out for actually beating the dang thing.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You’ll have to narrow it down, that could describe several of the lv 50 mock battle maps lol the one where you have to defend Frederica is like that, for sure.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's "The Assassins", the last mental mock battle.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm like 54 hours in, doing NG+ and can't stop. Is FE: 3 Houses like this? Cause I'm gonna buy if so.

Nothing since FFT has held my attention this much in the genre

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The World Inferno posted:

It's "The Assassins", the last mental mock battle.

What? I never unlocked that one. Does it only unlock after you get the Golden path ending?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barreft posted:

I'm like 54 hours in, doing NG+ and can't stop. Is FE: 3 Houses like this? Cause I'm gonna buy if so.

Different style of tactical RPG due to having distinct player and enemy phases and facing/elevation not being a factor, but similarly addictive in my experience. It also has separate routes through the story that make repeat playthroughs fun.

If you like tactical RPGs and haven’t played a Fire Emblem definitely give it a shot.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Barreft posted:

Three Houses is good but it and Triangle Strategy aren't much alike.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

No spoilers on what actually happens, but as I read it at the time the apparent pros and cons of each plan:

Frederica: Pros: free Roselle, an actual hope of peace for you and yours, spitting in the face of Hyzante
Cons: Leaving Wolffort and Glennbrook behind

Benedict: Pros: Smashing up Hyzante but good
Cons: Kicking off another big scale war
Also Serenoa becoming king of Glennbrook and letting Gustadolph get a slice of the pie may be a pro or con depending on your read of the character

Roland: Pros: lol yes there will definitely never be another war if we hand the keys to the slaving fascist theocrats get the hell out of here Roland
Cons: you've been to Hyzante and have met the people running the place, you can't even pretend you don't know what you're doing

I thought the way the game hashes out the ideology triangle was pretty interesting, if strange. It feels very intentionally off-kilter.

Frederica feels very straightforward in justifying her freedom-as-ethics ideology. But Benedict's utility and Roland's morality almost seem like they swap at some point. Benedict is utilitarian, but he's also extremely principled, and truly lives and dies by his principles. Even if his arguments are distasteful, his reasoning is not only consistent and rational, but it always does seem to be based on his first principles of protecting Serenoa and House Wolffort. Whereas Roland is the jackass who, despite being the face of the "Morality" route, ends up making a cold and merciless calculation that the suffering of a few Roselle for the prosperity for all of Hyzante is a model of the ideal society. So in a way Benedict feels far more morally vindicated in his consistency to his principles, and Roland submits to a very shallow utilitarian argument.

I haven't actually done Benedict or Roland's routes yet, but when you make that big decision at the end, it sure did seem like Benedict was the one talking about loyalty and duty while Roland was the one calculating the utils of institutional racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Anyone know if Jens' Accuracy stat impacts his turrets accuracy? Should have asked before buying the accuracy bracelet but I can always give it to Hughette or another archer instead.

I haven't really been doing much with accessories, just equipping the few the game gives me, are there any favored combos of those?