Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The whole run from Platinum through B2W2 is just great game after great game. It’s the 4 best entries in the series all in a row. Absolute master class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I still maintain that while D/P was awful, HGSS was peak Pokemon.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 1, 2022

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

gen 5 is clearly the best by a neck. The only thing bad about them is Snivy. I think they made him bad on purpose to give the game a "hard mode" as dumb as that is.

A lot of my friends and I played diamond & pearl a lot when it came out, even though i think all of us had skipped gen 3. There was a lot to like. it was just clearly such a huge leap forward due to the physical/special split finally happening and because the DS made multiplayer so easy you couldn't not do it - a lot of us went our first time thru those with all 3 starter pokemon & getting boosted xp on all of them. All 3 starter pokemon evolution lines are actually good, which goes a ways to help mask the general boring-ness of the rest of the new batch. The Shinx line being given to you early and basically acting just like an extra starter pokemon is a nice touch. At the time we found it cool that they were finishing up older evolutionary lines and makign new ways for them to evolve. (Unfortunately it turned out only 2 or 3 of them are actually worth getting.) All the legendaries were good, Garchomp and spiritomb whip rear end.

Another thing that stood out is as you travel through the region it actually looks like you're going somewhere, the environments don't all look identical. being on the mountain feels like you're up high. even in Gen 3 they didn't do very much of that, only the ashy volcano area and maybe the more jungle-y looking place where you can catch Tropius stand out.

In 2022, there is very little reason to play D/P/Pt, nothing in them that's not done better elsewhere. Unless of course you're playing HG/SS and want to send some monsters to Sinnoh to grind their levels up faster. HG/SS is unbalanced, boring, slow, and has very few good or cool monsters. Pretty lovely games overall.

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 30, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
having gone through the trouble of buying a physical copy (hacked rom card) of HGSS because of people in this thread’s love for it, I am legally certified to say your brains are broken

a remake of by far the worst gen with barely any improvements, meh graphics updates. VC Crystal was much more enjoyable

indigi fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 30, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

What HGSS had was probably the most meat in terms of sidecontent, with stuff like Kanto, Pokeathlon, the Safari Zone, postgame, Voltorb Flip, Frontier (even if a clone of Sinnoh's), Red as a final, high level goal, etc.

For me that doesn't really compensate the poo poo avaliability (I'm 90% sure that before getting the songs that force Hoenn/Sinnoh mons to appear the encounters are the same as the original games), a level curve that is broken because they let you do Gyms out of order without scaling and Kanto being just Gym Leaders and a bit of plot. HGSS improved a little bit in those regards but not enough to fix them.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

was Red not in the original versions? he’s in my VC Crystal

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

indigi posted:

No, Red was there in the original Gold/Silver as well

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I started up all my still-functioning pokemon games just out of curiosity and because I decided I was going to start a new one and didn't want to overwrite something good. So for no reason other than I had to write this down somewhere, here's how much time I've spent on each game:
Legends Arceus: 123 hours
Shield: 279 hours (I haven't played through either of these games more than once)
From the 3DS Activity Log:
Ultra Moon: 174:30 - The time I had on file (before starting a new file a couple days ago) was 150 hours so obviously I played through only once before starting a second.
Sun: 514 hours, with 309 hours on my current file
Alpha Sapphire: 850:30
X: 881:30
And then it gets less reliable as I played the following games a lot more on my DSi than I did on my 3DS, so taking the larger number between what the 3DS log says and what the current file says (even though I bet I've probably topped 999 hours on Platinum)
Black 2: 104:30
White – 31 hours (and this is obviously way short, that's probably a week of being bored ~4 years ago)
HeartGold – 131 hours
Platinum – 245 hours
And of course the innumerable hours spent on Blue, Gold, and all 5 of the GBA-era games is lost to time like tears in the oven; what can you do. But from the data I have, that's 3334 hours. 138.9 provable days playing Pokemon, lol.

Anyway, I'm doing Ultra Moon again and after first thinking I was gonna do an all-fighting-type team which I've never done before, but then realized the selection is pretty loving boring if you only count mons you can play through most of the story with, I said gently caress that and am now doing an all-bird team.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

indigi posted:

Yeah, he was, I was just including him since he's admitedly a high point of the game.

Funny enough if we go by playtimes then X/Y would probably be my top game with Platinum since I actually spent time building competitive stuff, even if X/Y are kinda middling otherwise. I guess it's on them having the best online IMO, PSS was quick and amazing.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Doctor Dogballs posted:

i just bought a copy of platinum on ebay, prices have tanked on D/P/Pt - this was only $15 bux since the remakes are out. Not that D/P/Pt were so great that i'd want to pay more than that to begin with

Double check and make sure you didn't get a bootleg copy. I'd expect prices for DPPt to go up after the backlash from the remakes, but I'd also expect the amount of bootlegs to increase too

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Scholtz posted:

Double check and make sure you didn't get a bootleg copy. I'd expect prices for DPPt to go up after the backlash from the remakes, but I'd also expect the amount of bootlegs to increase too

how can I check to make sure? if the pokemon in it trade and go through Transfer to Bank without issue, does it make a difference if it's bootleg?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://www.imore.com/ultimate-guide-spotting-fake-pokemon-games#nds

Bootleg games can have issues such as freezing and save corruption

https://www.reddit.com/r/nds/comments/bn6wr5/any_problems_with_fake_nds_carts/

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Counterpoint: the stadium games are the best games

And also those games have the announcer :colbert:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

bootleg copies are fine, I’ve had plenty of issues with freezing and corruption in legit copies over the years. and people were charging at least 75 for legit copies of B/W2 at the time, close to $200 if you wanted the original box, gently caress that

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

EorayMel posted:

And also those games have the announcer :colbert:

tag urself im Acool-tent

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EorayMel posted:

I bought Pokemon Revolution because I missed out on both Stadiums. I feel like I still missed out.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Since Diamond/Pearl, pokémon games have followed a pretty consistent pattern where even generations come out on a new console and are kind of shaky, while odd ones get to build on them and come out a whole lot better.

Unless Gamefreak finds a way to break this pattern, gen 9 should be a significant step up from Sword/Shield. I absolutely wasn't expecting Legends to be as good as it was, so I'm willing to bank on it being solid. The starters already look a whole lot better than their predecessors.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Hrist posted:

I bought Pokemon Revolution because I missed out on both Stadiums. I feel like I still missed out.

You did. I don't know why, but Battle Revolution seemed dead and dry as hell.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I blame the announcer

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I never had Pokemon Stadium myself but my cousins did and it was so cool to be able to play Pokemon Blue on the Dodrio Gameboy feature. Never played Stadium 2. I only got Pokemon Colosseum and XD because it had actual Pokemon stories and they're beloved by the fanbase for a reason.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
The pride and joy of my PLA pokemon collection is a MINIMUM-HEIGHT, TIMID female shiny Gardevoir that I caught on my first visit to a Gardevoir outbreak at the peak of the icelands.

The first thing she did when she spawned (and sparkled) during the outbreak was turn to face my trainer (who was hidden in the bushes nearby) and sit down/kneel under her skirt. I caught her with a regular pokeball on the first throw.

I named her 'Go Ask Alice', after the Jefferson Airplane song White Rabbit's lyrics. She now has moves like Moonblast and Recover which Gardevoirs couldn't get before now, putting her in a higher tier than before, once Home connects to PLA's pastures.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It’s always eye rolling to hear people bleat out the tired old “HGSS have no availability” cliche when it’s so patently false. The only Johto mons you can’t get timely are the route 45 guys and houndour. Every other Mon that was limited to postgame in GSC was given a new earlier location. Dudes like Misdreaveous , Slugma, Murkrow even Larvitar are all available at reasonable points. And Gen2 mons in general got big buffs with abilities, learn sets, and the attack split in gen4 and are actually usable in game now.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

galagazombie posted:

It’s always eye rolling to hear people bleat out the tired old “HGSS have no availability” cliche when it’s so patently false. The only Johto mons you can’t get timely are the route 45 guys and houndour. Every other Mon that was limited to postgame in GSC was given a new earlier location. Dudes like Misdreaveous , Slugma, Murkrow even Larvitar are all available at reasonable points. And Gen2 mons in general got big buffs with abilities, learn sets, and the attack split in gen4 and are actually usable in game now.

Only if you got lucky with the insane safari version and managed to find the dark pokemone the originals put entirely into Kanto only instead of just safari park and kanto.

The distribution still sucks. The level/difficulty spread still sucks. Even with these menial changes.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Only if you got lucky with the insane safari version and managed to find the dark pokemone the originals put entirely into Kanto only instead of just safari park and kanto.

The distribution still sucks. The level/difficulty spread still sucks. Even with these menial changes.

Larvitar is the only one limited to the safari zone. You can get Murkrow before you even reach violet city with the pedometer, Slugmas in a free egg, and on and on. Even the infamous level curve problem doesn’t exist if you actually play the game and bother to explore fighting trainers in all the places to explore. I’ll never understand people who buy a game and then try to skip the whole thing making a beeline towards the credits.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

“You can get it through the pedometer” is not real availability because it requires you to have a working one. The ravages of time or buying used copies or emulating all can make sure you don’t have one. I washed mine in my jeans about 13 years ago and I doubt that’s an uncommon story.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Yeah, he was, I was just including him since he's admitedly a high point of the game.

Funny enough if we go by playtimes then X/Y would probably be my top game with Platinum since I actually spent time building competitive stuff, even if X/Y are kinda middling otherwise. I guess it's on them having the best online IMO, PSS was quick and amazing.

X and Y get poo poo on a lot but they had probably the best combination of like, system updates to the game out of them all. Wonder trade, online stuff in general, improvements to breeding, debatably the exp share update, and clothing options. You could also argue that it was a soft intro to stuff like ride pokemon and megas as a concept were definitely an influence on future regional form(e)s

It introduced a lot of stuff that's been carried forward with mixed success but it's the only one I think where everything worked solidly without much in serious steps back. It just has an unimpressive story and a region that was pretty mediocre and the opportunity to improve on those was rolled into SuMo

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hg is the best by a mile

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Heart Gold and Soul Silver are vast improvements over the originals in a lot of aspects (Pokemon availability, incredible presentation) but the one aspect I cannot really forgive is the level curve and how absurdly drawn out and grindy the game can be. It takes all day to raise monsters at a high level and the game expects me to suddenly fight someone who's monsters are in the low 80s while my team is only at the mid 60s?

Its one of the set of games I wish I can like more because Gen 2 seems to be the generation that's idolized by most older Pokemon fans (while they also dunk on Genwunners) but I still think are the weakest entries in the series for making progression unfun.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

oddium posted:

hg is the best by a mile

, at failing

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lux Animus posted:

The pride and joy of my PLA pokemon collection is a MINIMUM-HEIGHT, TIMID female shiny Gardevoir that I caught on my first visit to a Gardevoir outbreak at the peak of the icelands.

The first thing she did when she spawned (and sparkled) during the outbreak was turn to face my trainer (who was hidden in the bushes nearby) and sit down/kneel under her skirt. I caught her with a regular pokeball on the first throw.

I named her 'Go Ask Alice', after the Jefferson Airplane song White Rabbit's lyrics. She now has moves like Moonblast and Recover which Gardevoirs couldn't get before now, putting her in a higher tier than before, once Home connects to PLA's pastures.

This is completely adorable, thank you for telling us about your friend.

My most adored pokemon is my shiny crobat. He is baby-pink and I love him.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Countblanc posted:

, at failing

some of the best things are a little fail. it's called wabi sabi read a book

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rudoku posted:

You did. I don't know why, but Battle Revolution seemed dead and dry as hell.

There's no story, progression, side gmes, or any of the charm that was in the stadium. Or at least the first one, I never played stadium 2.
I won a copy of battle rev during gamestop's tournament promotion shing. It was basically Smogon for gen 4 but without the ability to make your own pokemon.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Violet_Sky posted:

tag urself im Acool-tent

Zing-Wee

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

There's no story, progression, side gmes, or any of the charm that was in the stadium. Or at least the first one, I never played stadium 2.
I won a copy of battle rev during gamestop's tournament promotion shing. It was basically Smogon for gen 4 but without the ability to make your own pokemon.

2 had everything the first one did but with more pokemon to use, and some pretty fun/hard stuff like the round 2 fight with Lt Surge's surfing raichu and the "Oops All Explosion" team

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

hopeandjoy posted:

“You can get it through the pedometer” is not real availability because it requires you to have a working one. The ravages of time or buying used copies or emulating all can make sure you don’t have one. I washed mine in my jeans about 13 years ago and I doubt that’s an uncommon story.

are you really arguing that the game designers hosed up because they didn't take into account

- that people might lose or accidentally destroy the game, or parts of it
- that people who buy the game second hand without a widget that came with the new copy might have a degraded experience of the game
- that people who emulate the game might have a degraded experience of the game

Because all of that is completely mental. especially the last one.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
GS is a true sequel. It's the only generation that builds off the previous games, unlike the other post 1-generations which instead pretends it's a new experience and ends up being worse because of it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hammerite posted:

are you really arguing that the game designers hosed up because they didn't take into account

- that people might lose or accidentally destroy the game, or parts of it
- that people who buy the game second hand without a widget that came with the new copy might have a degraded experience of the game
- that people who emulate the game might have a degraded experience of the game

Because all of that is completely mental. especially the last one.

I think it's a designer gently caress up to try to patch up the base games failures and gently caress ups by using an external peripheral instead of just....updating the locations of pokemon in game, yeah. It's pointless stupid plastic that'll fill land fills when you could have put in less effort to just fix the game. The pedometer, the e-reader, all pointless useless add ons when they could have just made the game have the things in it where you could get them reasonably.

HootTheOwl posted:

GS is a true sequel. It's the only generation that builds off the previous games, unlike the other post 1-generations which instead pretends it's a new experience and ends up being worse because of it.

GS are actively worse for trying so hard to include the RBY areas in it. The RBY are basically empty or turned into entirely too simplified versions of themselves and they then locked entire new typings effectively behind the return to Kanto stuff just so it wouldn't be 100% empty minus the gym refights. GS would have been better off cutting all that and using that space and dev time to give Johto more routes that felt unique and interesting, a level curve that made sense, or even just any characters you could care about at all that weren't gen 1 holdovers.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 1, 2022

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

GS are actively worse for trying so hard to include the RBY areas in it. The RBY are basically empty or turned into entirely too simplified versions of themselves and they then locked entire new typings effectively behind the return to Kanto stuff just so it wouldn't be 100% empty minus the gym refights. GS would have been better off cutting all that and using that space and dev time to give Johto more routes that felt unique and interesting, a level curve that made sense, or even just any characters you could care about at all that weren't gen 1 holdovers.

I heard a while ago someone at Nintendo found the space for Kanto (It could be Internet lies, since it mentioned Iwata). It was just gonna be Johto. That would've fixed the pokemon availability, but only that.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Just give me a HGSS Remake done in the style of Legends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

oddium posted:

some of the best things are a little fail. it's called wabi sabi read a book

Much to consider, I will try to do better in the future. Namaste.