Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Ashton Kutcher must be hitting his bored mega rich phase. Isn't he super wealthy from smart investments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
So it's gonna be friends?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished the final episode of Ozark and that ending felt kind of unsatisfying :( I'm not sure how I would've ended the series, but it wouldn't have been that.

While I've never felt this show was all that great (I just described it to someone earlier as poor man's Breaking Bad), I'll admit I'm gonna miss seeing some of these actors and actresses inhabit these characters, especially Julia Garner as Ruth. She was really the breakout star of this show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m still so confused about the Killer Mike cameo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m still so confused about the Killer Mike cameo
lmao, I think I saw somewhere that Mike is a fan of the show, and IIRC wasn't there a Run the Jewels song featured in not the last season finale but the finale before that? Or I guess S3's finale since this is technically S4 Part 2?

But yeah, that felt out of place for sure.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

AARD VARKMAN posted:

In medias res drives me absolutely nuts.

Tokyo Vice had it too!

I guess it's the natural evolution of the "first 5 seconds of the trailer" thing

In Medias Res is just fine if you start in the middle of the action and then keep going, letting the viewer figure out the background through context and dialogue. "Three weeks earlier" poo poo isn't proper in medias res; It is showing the viewer a trailer for the show they are already watching. It is such a lazy storytelling technique.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

Just finished the final episode of Ozark and that ending felt kind of unsatisfying :( I'm not sure how I would've ended the series, but it wouldn't have been that.

While I've never felt this show was all that great (I just described it to someone earlier as poor man's Breaking Bad), I'll admit I'm gonna miss seeing some of these actors and actresses inhabit these characters, especially Julia Garner as Ruth. She was really the breakout star of this show.

I liked the actual ending but this whole second half was a mess of plot lines and characters doing bizarre poo poo. By the end of it I was just laughing at the cartel's ineptness

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm on episode 2 of Shining Girls, I like it so far but I get the impression that Elisabeth Moss' acting style, just consists of making weird faces at people.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Am I the only one who thought that the final scenes of Tokyo Vice were a massive Shenmue reference?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Probably.

Tokyo Vice was mostly very good, but it's weird to end the season like that with basically nothing resolved and they haven't announced a second season. Gotta hope they do I suppose

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rageaholic posted:

I agree. I'm pretty sure that everyone knew this was the last season but it still felt like the writers didn't really know that so they scrambled at the end, and I still don't really see how the family is safe after this season. Some of the plot choices were bizarre. Characters randomly loving everything up and getting mad at everyone else for no reason. It was a fun ride I guess. Now I can cancel Netflix.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I went and googled spoilers for Our Flag Means Death bc I just was wholly uninterested in watching more than the first episode and oh man, like everyone else I am so glad I kept watching :allears: this is delightful. I'm on ep6 and it just keeps getting cuter

edit: I must be pedantic though and point out that the Mozart aria the Dutch dude sings in ep6 was written like, 50+ years after the show is set lmao

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Hakkesshu posted:

Tokyo Vice was mostly very good, but it's weird to end the season like that with basically nothing resolved and they haven't announced a second season. Gotta hope they do I suppose

Maybe I’ve been spoiled by too much serialized television where a full season tells more or less a complete story while setting up pieces for the next season. But Tokyo Vice just kind of… ended. Between this and Severance, I feel like there’s just an episode missing at the end. Severance is so unbelievably phenomenal that I was also just mad to not have more to watch.

What’s funny about Tokyo Vice though, that I doubt anyone has talked about, is that it’s much more accurate with its brief representation of Mormonism than Under the Banner of Heaven. Maybe it’s because I grew up LDS out in Ohio, but I’ve also lived in Utah my entire adult life, and UTBOH feels like everything is ramped up to 11. Maybe Mormons were even weirder 40 years ago but I find the setting of the show to be simultaneously very familiar and extremely alien. Tokyo Vice has the benefit of it just being background for one character but it manages to get nearly all of the little details correct.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
We Own This City has a really great subtle inversion of expectations that bodes well for the rest of the season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I rewatched season 3 of Stranger Things in preparation for the next one and I forgot how they made Hopper and Joyce wildly annoying and also made Mike’s little sister a main character who was even MORE annoying. Otherwise still fun popcorn programming although with so many characters more than like two of them should be anything other than useless

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MokBa posted:

Maybe I’ve been spoiled by too much serialized television where a full season tells more or less a complete story while setting up pieces for the next season. But Tokyo Vice just kind of… ended. Between this and Severance, I feel like there’s just an episode missing at the end. Severance is so unbelievably phenomenal that I was also just mad to not have more to watch.

Not sure if you're aware but Severance literally is missing an episode. When they were originally writing the season there was an episode 10 which was supposed to be all the fallout from the events of episode 9 but Ben Stiller thought the end of that episode was a stronger finale.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

muscles like this! posted:

Not sure if you're aware but Severance literally is missing an episode. When they were originally writing the season there was an episode 10 which was supposed to be all the fallout from the events of episode 9 but Ben Stiller thought the end of that episode was a stronger finale.

Yeah I heard that they purposefully left it at a cliffhanger to make a second season more likely to be picked up, but I didn’t realize it was quite this literal. Well I’m glad there’s a second season but it is still very jarring.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I just wanted to say that thank you TV IV for talking about Fringe a bunch, I gave the show a shot and judging by the first few episodes it's better than the off-shoot X-files I expected (earlier in my life). I saw bunch of episodes from TV back in the day but did not appreciate it as much/stick to viewing it on a TV schedule.

I think its affiliation of Fox (just being aired on it, not produced) soured me without putting any further thought into it when I learned of it back in the day. I'm aware Fox can produce sane content, the brand was just irreparably damaged by Fox News even from the point of view of 20-something European when it originally aired. I know this was dumb of me on several levels now. (creative control, subsidiaries within Fox, not even being produced by Fox)

You can tell the budget is sizable just judging by extras and the filming locations/stages. And maybe it's just me but you can almost instinctively tell it's a 10+ year-old show just by the way they shoot it without it appearing dated at the same time. Maybe prestige TV has certain way of shooting today compared to 10+ year-old shows? I wonder if someone's made a video about trends in that field...

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've been plowing through Mythic Quest and I have to say it has one of the best episodes of television acknowledging the pandemic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I've been plowing through Mythic Quest and I have to say it has one of the best episodes of television acknowledging the pandemic.

Is that anywhere but Apple yet? I'm trying to just stick to one or three streaming sites now (god drat it)

Also related, is Toast of Tinseltown watchable in the US anywhere? Toast of London used to be on Netflix

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I did NOT know that piece of information, and now my night is ruined. :mad:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
New season of Ziwe is starting strong. She has the most devastating eye roll on TV.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

This isn't the story I've heard -- can you link us the source for this?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

This isn't the story I've heard -- can you link us the source for this?

https://www.polygon.com/23010270/severance-season-finale-explained-questions-creator

quote:

You can thank Ben Stiller, who Erickson says encouraged him to end the season at that moment. Originally, had one more episode planned in order to unpack what the trio found out about their life outside of work at Lumon Industries during their daring out-of-office sorta-heist

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I watched the pilot for Tokyo Vice. I enjoyed it more than I thought it would.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

That would be a weird epilogue to end on and kind of curtails what can happen next. Where they did end, it would be pretty bizarre for them to end up at the office the next day chatting over the watercooler about it. I'd wager season 2 itself will not open with us getting that kind of moment, my "positive ending" bet is if we open back at the office at all, our party will have been mindwiped/tortured/otherwise-made-submissive. Kind of hard to imagine it being that clean though with at least mark's sister knowing something is up and cobel also must know she knows something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Three Busy Debras continues to be an exceedingly weird show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

fez_machine posted:

We Own This City has a really great subtle inversion of expectations that bodes well for the rest of the season.

What scene?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

What scene?

Spoilers from the first episode of We Own This City

The scene where the people we've seen do an armed robbery of a low level drug dealer and menace his girlfriend, celebrate at a strip club with champagne and rolexes, wearing street gear, first bully a uniformed police officer and then the camera pans over as they pick up the police labelled bullet proof vests that have hanging off their SUV.

It's unremarked upon and if you were paying more attention or cannier than me it wouldn't have meant anything but it was a good moment for me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm out of the loop as to why everyone has their knickers in a bunch over the Rings of Power trailer. What's going on? The trailer is pretty much just a slideshow of short scenes without saying anything at all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Because there’s black hobbits or something

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm out of the loop as to why everyone has their knickers in a bunch over the Rings of Power trailer. What's going on? The trailer is pretty much just a slideshow of short scenes without saying anything at all.

Is there a new trailer? I just looked it up on Youtube after reading this post but the most recent trailer I see is from 2 months ago. Are people just getting upset about it out of nowhere recently?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Maybe The Baby falls off a cliff

lol

at some point, but so far I'm not seeing what the critics were seeing. Pretty fun show.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The only Rings of Power thing I could see was a dumb youtube video from the gamergate/comicsgate crowd, the type of people who made 30 videos about how everyone hates working with Brie Larson.
You can have a quite successful career as a youtuber by pandering to far-right nerds.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Jerusalem posted:

Is there a new trailer? I just looked it up on Youtube after reading this post but the most recent trailer I see is from 2 months ago. Are people just getting upset about it out of nowhere recently?
I heard the LoR show being mentioned elsewhere, I looked up the official trailer and noticed that the Dislike extension predicts like 1.5M dislikes vs. 113K likes, and I haven't read about any drama say on Reddit or elsewhere. So that's why I'm :confused:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Because there’s black hobbits or something

It's this, mostly.

That being said, much of the remaining negativity comes from fans who are concerned about how much of the show is going to resemble the source material versus being a hollow retread of the Peter Jackson movies. They're especially concerned with how much of it is going to be invented whole cloth by untested showrunners (with no credits to their names except for writing a draft of Star Trek Beyond), since Amazon only has the rights to a minuscule sliver of Tolkien's writing about the era the show is set in. He wrote volumes on the events of that era, but Amazon only has the rights to some bullet points pulled from the appendix of The Lord of the Rings to work with, and even then the showrunners have chosen to significantly alter those events and compress a timeline of thousands of years into dozens, as well as create entirely new set of point of view characters despite the era having a wide swath of fan-favorite Tolkien-created characters to pick from. And on top of all that, there are worrying edicts that may be coming from Bezos dictating the nature of storytelling on the show. Overall the impression from fans seems to be that the show may be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, adapting a work that isn't very much like The Lord of the Rings by making it as similar to The Lord of the Rings as possible.

It's not exactly the most optimistic set of circumstances if you're a fan of Tolkien's writing hoping for a faithful adaptation. That certainly doesn't mean the show couldn't be good, but I think there's a lot more to the negativity than just the loudest racist fans foaming at the mouth about skin color. I think a lot of fans are especially wary with the final two season of Game of Thrones in mind, where the showrunners didn't have the books to use as a map and did their own thing, too. So despite the lavish production values on display, it's less the trailer that is making fans worried than everything surrounding it.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 2, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm still interested in checking it out, but I don't see how the literal biggest TV show in history could be anything other than insanely bland and safe because they have to have the widest mass appeal and can't take any actual risks with anything.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Probably also a bit telling that this show leapt into being the moment Christopher Tolkien (the most jealous guardian of his father's legacy) died.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm still interested in checking it out, but I don't see how the literal biggest TV show in history could be anything other than insanely bland and safe because they have to have the widest mass appeal and can't take any actual risks with anything.

I've been shocked how weird Halo threatened to get once or twice. I'm honestly hopeful about whatever thr clusterfuck this ends up being -- if nothing else it'll be educational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

fez_machine posted:

Spoilers from the first episode of We Own This City

The scene where the people we've seen do an armed robbery of a low level drug dealer and menace his girlfriend, celebrate at a strip club with champagne and rolexes, wearing street gear, first bully a uniformed police officer and then the camera pans over as they pick up the police labelled bullet proof vests that have hanging off their SUV.

It's unremarked upon and if you were paying more attention or cannier than me it wouldn't have meant anything but it was a good moment for me.

It's an amazing scene but I wouldn't call it subtle. It was the big HOLY poo poo twist of the episode IMO.