Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Arghy posted:

If i paid $60 to only get 20-40 hours out of a game i'm gonna come over to your house. I wouldn't pay $20 to get only 60 hours out of a game because game devs like that are garbage and should be lynched. This is the age of bespoke games that are supposed to last for years, your age is over lovely triple A titles with less than 100 hours of game play. Get in the bin.

simmer down you aggro fuckwit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am happy I pre-ordered WH3 and had good fun in the beta. Looking forward to the actual launch, when IE is released

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arghy posted:

If i paid $60 to only get 20-40 hours out of a game i'm gonna come over to your house. I wouldn't pay $20 to get only 60 hours out of a game because game devs like that are garbage and should be lynched. This is the age of bespoke games that are supposed to last for years, your age is over lovely triple A titles with less than 100 hours of game play. Get in the bin.

I know your a meme but this is legit deranged

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
For a moment I thought I was in the Vermintide thread :allears:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Arghy posted:

Unlike you my rage knows no bounds.

Eh it's silly to tell people that if they've played a game for a x amount of hours that they can't complain.

I didn't realize that cathay is really land locked for expansion, tempted to start colonizing the wastes but i figure those marauder armies would forever spawn. I'm gonna take over all the mountains of mourn unless i somehow get all the souls first.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Azran posted:

For a moment I thought I was in the Vermintide thread :allears:

Speaking of, what happened to WH40K Darktide? I have been looking forward to that.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

I said come in! posted:

Speaking of, what happened to WH40K Darktide? I have been looking forward to that.

They put out a release date trailer last month. September 13.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q_cbBr_t0M

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I've had fun with the game thus far. I do understand some people may be disappointed, but it's been okay thus far and I am looking forward to more stuff.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

I've had fun with the game thus far. I do understand some people may be disappointed, but it's been okay thus far and I am looking forward to more stuff.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I am. Now that I have mods to let me play the game without ever going into Tzeentch's maze again, I'm good for now. Looking forward to IE whenever it drops, messing with mods until then.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Gonkish posted:

And lo, we have come full circle:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
We're living in the TWCenter timeline.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

You're supposed to put the unreasonable opinion in the man's mouth.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

personally, I did my Tzeentch, Cathay, and Khorne playthoughs and decided I'd have enough of the central campaign... I've been thinking about going back and doing Legendary Khorne for the achievement now that they've changed so much about the portal bullshit for the better - nobody likes sitting in a capital for 3-5 turns but Skarbrand DEFINITELY does not prefer that playstyle. I can see why people wish the game were better, but it does seem pretty clear that when CA rushed something out. Luckily, there are other videogames.

lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We're getting close to the ten-year-anniversary of Pontus Dad, and I have yet to get sick of him. Evergreen meme.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
The story doesn’t even make sense - why are all factions racing for the souls? Did the advisor make a deal with all the factions? But in the opening cinematic he says something like, which faction should I align with to get my drop of blood, right?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I know everyone’s jonesing for another opinion on the roadmap and I’m here to deliver: it feels like an unforced error not to have delayed the game till July-August and had IE in at launch. There’s a lot on the roadmap that they didn’t identify till after release, but if you take that stuff away it feels pretty reasonable to have the rest done by August if it’s for the big release of the new game.
Maybe it was internally unpopular to suggest another extension, maybe the books needed some juice Q1 2022, maybe it was a hell march to get it where they were and people needed to stop working 10 hours on saturday. I don’t know that stuff, but I think the bite from delaying it 6 months would be less than this weird launch.

Also the replenishment changes for Tzeentch and Slaanesh… what the hell dude? lol

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Scott Forstall posted:

The story doesn’t even make sense - why are all factions racing for the souls? Did the advisor make a deal with all the factions? But in the opening cinematic he says something like, which faction should I align with to get my drop of blood, right?

The souls are the only way to get to the Forge of Souls, and every faction has a reason to want Ursun or his corpse. Presumably they figured out on their own that Ursun is dying, where he is, and how to get there.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Scott Forstall posted:

The campaign narrative is pretty nonsensical. I guess it's understandable that the daemonic factions might find out about/be looking for the souls without the help of magic prophet man and his all-knowing book, but it's really funny to think that the fuckin' ogres or Kislev would wander into the Chaos realms and start collecting daemon prince souls like pokemon on their own without any outside prompting.

If everyone can just kinda find out exactly what's going on with Ursun and the specific steps of how to locate and save/kill him, it makes the advisor's all-knowing book pretty pointless.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Chakan posted:

Also the replenishment changes for Tzeentch and Slaanesh… what the hell dude? lol

This is the one that I find the oddest, and I feel like could have done with an elaboration of some kind. Is it a balancing thing I wonder? Or does it require more testing with the factions after other changes to see what is needed? I'm guessing we'll never know.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Chakan posted:

Maybe it was internally unpopular to suggest another extension, maybe the books needed some juice Q1 2022, maybe it was a hell march to get it where they were and people needed to stop working 10 hours on saturday. I don’t know that stuff, but I think the bite from delaying it 6 months would be less than this weird launch.

It's going to have to have been something like this and general work disruption due to Covid, IIRC they've specifically confirmed that that's a reason Katarin doesn't have anything like her old sled mount. I don't have a hard time imagining alot of other stuff was affected as well.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 1, 2022

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kanos posted:

The campaign narrative is pretty nonsensical. I guess it's understandable that the daemonic factions might find out about/be looking for the souls without the help of magic prophet man and his all-knowing book, but it's really funny to think that the fuckin' ogres or Kislev would wander into the Chaos realms and start collecting daemon prince souls like pokemon on their own without any outside prompting.

It doesn't seem weird to me that Kislev would be fighting Chaos to save their god. That's their whole deal. Everyone seems to make sense to me except Ogres, who are already an adjunct onto the game and just sort of randomly do things for Ogre reasons.

If anything, Cathay's role seems sort of tacked on. Why would a Kislevite god be the one who knows the specific thing they're looking to find out?

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 1, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Cease to Hope posted:

It doesn't seem weird to me that Kislev would be fighting Chaos to save their god. That's their whole deal. Everyone seems to make sense to me except Ogres, who are already an adjunct onto the game and just sort of randomly do things for Ogre reasons.

If anything, Cathay's role seems sort of tacked on. Why would a Kislevite god be the one who knows the specific thing they're looking to find out?

It's not "Kislev wants to save Ursun", it's "Kislev knows that they need to specifically enter the Chaos Realms(which is the Warhammer equivalent of walking into Literally Hell), kill these four specific daemon princes(and know how to contain their souls), and then know how to use the souls to access a specific point in Literally Hell."

The Vortex was a lot more plausible for everyone to be doing their own thing with because it was a general "this is a gigantic font of magic power that we want to take for ourselves" story and every race in vanilla TWW2 was extremely magically oriented.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 1, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kanos posted:

The campaign narrative is pretty nonsensical. I guess it's understandable that the daemonic factions might find out about/be looking for the souls without the help of magic prophet man and his all-knowing book, but it's really funny to think that the fuckin' ogres or Kislev would wander into the Chaos realms and start collecting daemon prince souls like pokemon on their own without any outside prompting.If everyone can just kinda find out exactly what's going on with Ursun and the specific steps of how to locate and save/kill him, it makes the advisor's all-knowing book pretty pointless.

The fact that it's a race is the most nonsensical thing. That could and should have been dropped, I think that's one of the reasons the Warhammer 2 DLC lords that just did their own thing on the Vortex map were generally well-received. Race should only have been a thing I think for specifically multiplayer versions of the campaign I think. In the normal campaign it would have been alot better if all the races had their own narrative victory conditions, alot of which is already half-way present,

Kislev's would be centered around the political struggle, uniting the country and reviving Boris (that should count as "saving Ursun" IMO). Cathay's nmight be a bit more freeform, the thing about the missing sister might be something but it plays almost no role in the actual campaign, where it's more about securing the frontiers really. Mono-Gods should be all about accomplishing objectives specific to their Chaos God as well as doing things related to the Great Game and rivalry between them. Daemon Prince I think, should do a variation of the Realms of Chaos campaign involving Bel'Akhor and the the ascent to godhood or whatever he's after.

Beyond that I think the portals should not be opening all at once on regular intervals but rather should be a mix between, located in specific locations on the map, with the possibility of more of them appearing from either specific conditions(Chaos corruption for instance, maybe certain agent or settlement capture stuff) or certain random events. Entering should be a pretty big risk/reward thing with the more sane option for mortal factions encountering one being to close them. Daemon Prince's campaign would center around seeking them out or creating them in order to collect the souls.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kanos posted:

It's not "Kislev wants to save Ursun", it's "Kislev knows that they need to specifically enter the Chaos Realms(which is the Warhammer equivalent of walking into Literally Hell), kill these four specific daemon princes(and know how to contain their souls), and then know how to use the souls to access a specific point in Literally Hell."

I really don't find it difficult to believe the faction whose pre-TWW3 personality consisted of "fights Chaos," "worships Ursun," and "is cold" might do those things of their own accord! We see Yuri willing to traipse off into the Chaos Wastes and fight demon princes when he just thinks he's following Ursun's voice.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

June 2022 - +2 Melee Defense to Nurglings

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

What's odd about the Cathay campaign is that there is a good storyline in there already. If Kislev falls the harmony between order and chaos is thrown into disharmony. Miao cares because if Kislev falls without their god then the Great Bastion is hosed since Chaos can focus fully on them. For Zhao, if Kislev falls without their god his trade caravans have no where to go. So I guess it's time to intervene and save the Kislev god to keep the harmony of power and their own particular missions successful.

Instead they went with missing, almost undescribed sister for unknown reasons.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
A secret agenda means that Cathay has a reason to race Kislev rather than help them. It's a weak justification, though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I maintain most of the WH3 dropoff is because five of the factions being chaos means its way more boring.

Like yeah, I kinda wanna go back and play orkz, skaven, vampirates, tomb kings, etc.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

part of Belakor's plan is that everyone fighting over Ursun gives him a bunch of souls to turn into soul grinders for his army, so not inconceivable that he secretly leads the non-player factions into the race

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

dogstile posted:

I maintain most of the WH3 dropoff is because five of the factions being chaos means its way more boring.

Like yeah, I kinda wanna go back and play orkz, skaven, vampirates, tomb kings, etc.

Same. They played themselves by making the best non-ogre races unplayable in WH3.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
ACTUALLY chaos is much funner than any of those losers.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they're funner losers

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I had hoped that they would patch in playable Reikland etc at some point or at least make their AI more dynamic, but after how the Realms of Chaos campaign went over, ha.

What really kills the idea of this "having fun" concept playing WH3 is that the performance and unit control just feels awful. I get double the frame rate in WH2 on the same settings, and WH3 isn't *that* much more detailed. Units feel like they're moving through molasses and orders feel more like suggestions. There are all the animation issues with monsters and firing issues with ranged units. Mass interactions are bizarre, with enemy units just effortlessly sliding through or past your frontline, lords and heroes somehow crowdsurfing an enemy blob, etc. Borrow some brood horrors off throt if you can, the difference in how they feel to micro is insane.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Francis posted:

I had hoped that they would patch in playable Reikland etc at some point or at least make their AI more dynamic, but after how the Realms of Chaos campaign went over, ha.

I'm just assuming that will release Todbringer or von Draken as DLC to open up that area for Empire play. At first I'd have assumed von Draken with Todbringer as FLC would be the obvious choice but after having played around with it more I think it might be the other way around. Todbringer is in really central area and basically the core of the Empire while Elspeth starts squeezed in a tiny corner. Also, while the Empire could use an engineer hero type, the weakest of its combined arms branches are definitely its infantry and melee option. Todbringer with a lot of high-value melee units and newish religion mechanic is in a fun place if they want to add to that.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Randarkman posted:

It's going to have to have been something like this and general work disruption due to Covid, IIRC they've specifically confirmed that that's a reason Katarin doesn't have anything like her old sled mount. I don't have a hard time imagining alot of other stuff was affected as well.

Yeah, my best guess is they got to november and there was a big review of everything to create the short list of things to do before the release, where they realized the game was not going to be ready because 2020 and 2021 were miserably low production years. It's a tough argument to push back a game that close to release but if you're having that discussion I think you should just go ahead and do it.

It's fine, I'll play more in October and the game should be smooth by then, hopefully the devs aren't killing themselves to meet the deadlines.

ArnieD
Apr 1, 2015
I know I'm the minority but I kind of loved the game or at least the Kislev campaign I played, I haven't played too much before the patch, but I started a Katarin campaign last week and at some point something really clicked, It took me almost 400 turns to beat it, usually in WH2 about turn 100-150 I start to get bored when I become too dominant and leave the campaign, but here it really felt like the Kislev experience where I felt threatened the whole time by chaos on all sides. The disciples of the Maw conquered the whole empire, I had to reconquer it, then gave it to the only empire faction remaining, Talabecland, which then fell to Slaanesh and declared war on me. I even kind of liked the chaos realms and I really enjoyed the final battle with Be'lakor. I have to try the other factions to see if I enjoy them as much.
The start was rough, with the economy and attacked by all sides but personally I like that kind of campaign where you have to crawl out of the hole, Imrik was my favorite campaign in ME.
Obviously there's a lot of improvements to be made and see how not everybody enjoys the game, but I have to say I'm pretty satisfied with WH3 and really excited for IE whenever it comes out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

They put out a release date trailer last month. September 13.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q_cbBr_t0M

Nice! I have been out of the loop. Excited for this game.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

By definition, bespoke gaming experience means each and every one of you will have your own personal relationship with Total War Warhammer III. You are now members of the Creative Assembly family. Thank you for choosing the Total War Total Lifestyle Experience.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ravenfood posted:

I'm just assuming that will release Todbringer or von Draken as DLC to open up that area for Empire play. At first I'd have assumed von Draken with Todbringer as FLC would be the obvious choice but after having played around with it more I think it might be the other way around. Todbringer is in really central area and basically the core of the Empire while Elspeth starts squeezed in a tiny corner. Also, while the Empire could use an engineer hero type, the weakest of its combined arms branches are definitely its infantry and melee option. Todbringer with a lot of high-value melee units and newish religion mechanic is in a fun place if they want to add to that.

I figure Boris at this point is an obvious FLC option, but otoh he brings more units than Elspeth. Middenland's Ulrik units bring a lot more to the roster than "fancy cannon," "fancy gunners," "fancy helstorms" etc. But she herself is prolly more interesting, given she's a dragon-mounted caster lord instead of yet another horsey punchman. And she's got the obvious Tamurkhan pairup. And she's got the ability to be another roaming Empire lord, where Boris outside of Middenheim would be super weird.

I suppose there's nothing stopping them from doing all of it in one DLC. Elspeth as DLC bringing the Middenlanders and some token Nuln gunpowder units vs Tamurkhan as a Nurgle lord, then toss in Boris in Middenland as FLC. I really think she shouldn't start in Nuln though. Having 4/5 of Empire characters start as neighbours would be lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I just don't understand why, after all the criticism Race for the Vortex received, that they went and made another narrative campaign with all of the same issues plus a whole bunch more.

That is easily hundreds of hours spent on something that was destined to be dropped the moment the combined map released. It's not like they were unaware how lame the Vortex was, they admitted themselves that lessons were learned (obviously not), hell post-launch DLC didn't even interact with the Vortex.