Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cavauro posted:

Does RF5 dip into single digit framerates a lot or is it like 30fps with consistent minor hiccups? trying to nail down what the performance complaints were

most of the time it's an unstable 30

When you first load the outdoors each day, it's single-digit frames and extremely slow pop-in for about 10-15 seconds while it loads everything. The game is basically unplayable until it finishes. But after that it's completely fine. It's basically just a long loading screen except you can walk towards your farm during it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The outdoor combat areas frequently dip into single digits as well.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sounds like something i would be able to get used to but i'll probably wait a while so that it's $40 or something instead. Thanks for your help folks

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you have a decent pc then picking up the game, dumping and emulating it gives solid fps without the loading slowdowns. Switch pro controllers just plug right in too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Dirk the Average posted:

So, fun thing you can do with tamed monsters now that you have bosses tamed. If you feed a monster an upgrade material, it permanently affects the monster's stats. This can do things like give a monster critical hits, allow it to inflict status effects, etc. etc. It might be a fun thing to think about as you go about farming.

Is there a cap on this? I've been handing out the Fairy Dust you get from the pixie like candy to get fairies with sky high magic attack. Working on feeding it to Ambrosia currently.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Cavauro posted:

sounds like something i would be able to get used to but i'll probably wait a while so that it's $40 or something instead. Thanks for your help folks

That would definitely be my recommendation. If you're not insanely keen for a new Rune Factory game like I was, it's probably not worth paying full price.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It's probably coming to Steam and Playstation in like a year like Friend of Mineral Town/Pioneers of Olive Town/Rune Factory 4S

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah I played RF4 a bunch (though probably only did like a third of what’s there, but finished the story!) and thoroughly enjoyed the experience but I’m going to wait for a PC release because it just sounds like the game is poorly optimized. Hell, maybe they’ll have 5S by then or something.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Is there anything worth buying once you have effectively infinite money (excluding farm dragon crystals)? Can you buy the high-end materials somewhere if you ship one?

I’m making 250k per day from a strawberry field. I’m about to get pink melons and pineapples online too in case I want to casually quadruple that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

brainwrinkle posted:

Is there anything worth buying once you have effectively infinite money (excluding farm dragon crystals)? Can you buy the high-end materials somewhere if you ship one?

I’m making 250k per day from a strawberry field. I’m about to get pink melons and pineapples online too in case I want to casually quadruple that.

You actually don't even have to ship rare materials Heinz will swing by his shop around 3pm every day and his rotating stock can have just about anything, up to and including rare boss drops. I assume that the stock is gated somewhat by story progress, but I don't have any proof of that.

He can also sell lumber/material stone very rarely (rarely because his pool includes basically everything).

Also worth checking out the accessories the blacksmith sells. Some of them, like Art of Magic, require rare materials to make, but can just be purchased outright for a nominal fee.

I went ahead and turned every field except for the Earth Dragon into a large strawberry harvesting operation and get around 1.5million gold/day. Probably going to replace them with pineapples soon, but the strawberries do a good job of raising every parameter of the soil (not that that actually matters, but I like numbers going up).

Also I would recommend purchasing Lamp Grass and turning it into Gigantizer at the chemistry station instead of buying the Gigantizer. It's much cheaper to make it yourself.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hmmmm, Dylas has been acting mighty suspicious lately. First he asks me to see my hand, then runs off to the blacksmith shop. Now he's just slaving away at the work bench, day in, day out, and being extra prickly.

He won't even accept presents! Bud, it's your favorite, sashimi! You've been working hard making that totally-not-a-wedding-ring!

I know what he's doing but he's being mean about it. He's lucky I'm a patient woman!

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Strawberry fields forever people, how do you make picking and shipping all the berries not just a terrible boring repetitive headache? Like, more than the usual, I mean. I filled a third of my fire dragon with strawberries, another third with pink Melons, and the last third with pineapples. I'm already fed up with the harvesting and the Melons and pineapples aren't even producing yet.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

CK07 posted:

Strawberry fields forever people, how do you make picking and shipping all the berries not just a terrible boring repetitive headache? Like, more than the usual, I mean. I filled a third of my fire dragon with strawberries, another third with pink Melons, and the last third with pineapples. I'm already fed up with the harvesting and the Melons and pineapples aren't even producing yet.

Gigantize them. Sure, it cuts down how much you level your fields (by roughly 1/2), but since you either have to watch your monsters harvest the field or harvest it yourself to get soil xp, there's no way in hell I'm going to actually sit there and harvest that many individual fields by hand.

If you don't care about leveling the fields (and honestly, since you can boost just about every parameter with crystals/chemicals there's not that much reason to care) and/or getting skill/stat boosts (the orbs likewise only appear when you harvest the crop or you witness a monster harvest the crop), then you can just let the monsters do the harvesting for you.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you gigantize them it also means less level up runes but yeah it's much less work. Also why the gently caress did they switch from fields of 9 to 4 RF4 but kept the stack size at 9? I'm replaying 3 and it's so much nicer for farming

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I am once again stuck. This time in Leon Karnak, the second visit. I even looked up a walkthrough and I'm still stuck! It says after you defeat the mid-boss, Grimoire dragon, you should be able to just climb all the way to the top, but... I can't. There's a purple pillar in the way. The walthrough doesn't mention how to get to the switch that lowers the purple pillar. I can see where the switch is, it's just off-screen when you take a teleporter after defeating the mid-boss, but I can't seem to get to it!

To the west is another weird area where you have to defeat all the enemies in the room in order to progress? Well, that's not the weird part. The weird part is the enemy spawning gate thingy is inaccessible! The monsters warp in from across a gap and I can't get over to it. There is a weighted switch across the gap, and did throw things across the gap to weigh it down, in the hopes that it would do something, and it doesn't. At least not in that room. I chucked like 3 pieces of iron at that switch.

Halp I would love to not be stuck!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Silver Falcon posted:

To the west is another weird area where you have to defeat all the enemies in the room in order to progress? Well, that's not the weird part. The weird part is the enemy spawning gate thingy is inaccessible! The monsters warp in from across a gap and I can't get over to it. There is a weighted switch across the gap, and did throw things across the gap to weigh it down, in the hopes that it would do something, and it doesn't. At least not in that room. I chucked like 3 pieces of iron at that switch.
When in doubt, use magic from far away - but that might be the room where there's a loving box, and the box is secretly on top of a switch, and you have to break the box with magic to un-hit the switch to make the barrier that's blocking you go away!

the wiki actually has descriptions of the relevant rooms with switches to get unstuck!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When in doubt, use magic from far away - but that might be the room where there's a loving box, and the box is secretly on top of a switch, and you have to break the box with magic to un-hit the switch to make the barrier that's blocking you go away!

the wiki actually has descriptions of the relevant rooms with switches to get unstuck!

Oh son of a BITCH. I massively played myself in that room, or got massively unlucky. One of those. The box room was indeed the one I was talking about. I saw the switch and threw a thing across the gap to weigh it down, thinking it was a switch that needed to be weighed down. i must have broken the box with magic accidentally before I even saw there was a box there.

Or else an enemy died right on top of the switch and their drop landed on top of the switch.

Bad luck or I played myself?

Either way, thank you! I should be able to get un-stuck!

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Dirk the Average posted:

Gigantize them. Sure, it cuts down how much you level your fields (by roughly 1/2), but since you either have to watch your monsters harvest the field or harvest it yourself to get soil xp, there's no way in hell I'm going to actually sit there and harvest that many individual fields by hand.

If you don't care about leveling the fields (and honestly, since you can boost just about every parameter with crystals/chemicals there's not that much reason to care) and/or getting skill/stat boosts (the orbs likewise only appear when you harvest the crop or you witness a monster harvest the crop), then you can just let the monsters do the harvesting for you.

:doh: so obvious, thank you, I'm stupid.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
You can also just hold the button and go ham, which gets you two or three in one go usually before you need to pocket

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Every time I look at the map, my brain goes "Belpha Ruins? Yeah, Belpha deez nuts!"

Every. Time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Is there a way (RF4) to give myself temporary fire immunity? Preferably also to my pets? There's this one room in Rune Prana that is just kicking my rear end. There are half a dozen mages behind blocks that constantly spam fire spells at me. I can't reach them to melee them and they take forever to die from spells. I FINALLY managed to kill one of them by spamming way too many Dark Snakes at it, but then I got sent back to the previous room by the knockback from all its friends, thus resetting all my progress.

And in fact can I even progress in that room if I do manage to kill them all? Hadn't thought of that. This is the northwestern room on the first floor of the place. In the eastern room I found a switch, and figured there was one to match it in the west, so I could open the door in the middle.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Is there a way (RF4) to give myself temporary fire immunity? Preferably also to my pets? There's this one room in Rune Prana that is just kicking my rear end. There are half a dozen mages behind blocks that constantly spam fire spells at me. I can't reach them to melee them and they take forever to die from spells. I FINALLY managed to kill one of them by spamming way too many Dark Snakes at it, but then I got sent back to the previous room by the knockback from all its friends, thus resetting all my progress.

And in fact can I even progress in that room if I do manage to kill them all? Hadn't thought of that. This is the northwestern room on the first floor of the place. In the eastern room I found a switch, and figured there was one to match it in the west, so I could open the door in the middle.

Rune Prana is where the gloves come off and where you have to start doing some interesting things to continue, or get yourself so powerful that you can just brute force past the gimmicks. There are accessories that provide resistance to fire (Ruby Brooch or Fire Ring) - you can definitely wear one of those. There are also monsters who are resistant to or absorb fire.

At this point though, I'd sit back and consider what the best armor/weapons you can make with the materials you have access to are. I think you've got orichalcum by now, so you could probably put together something like a Power Protector (assuming you can get to the Heaven's Scissors scorpion enemy). Upgrading your gear so that you're getting at least 1,000 defense from your armor and 500-600 from your other bits and bobs of gear goes a long way towards making enemy attacks hurt a lot less, and will help you as you progress further in the dungeon.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

What the poster above me said. Also, craft one each of the resistance brooches. I know the fire one plus eating ice creams had me taking ~90% less fire damage, if not outright absorbing it.

They’re pretty invaluable and I found myself using whichever one the floor was attacking me with or the boss was using. Using those plus a food that gives you resist to double up on it can trivialize some floors/rooms.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Silver Falcon posted:

You can, a wall disappears and a switch appears. Also that room sucks because of the knockback, no shame.

I ended up using a spear art that had a hitbox large enough to bypass the wall. A spell works too but then you gotta make a staff etc.

(and I think you're not at the dangerous scissors scorp enemy yet, limiting your armor proper options, but you might be able to make a better hat? I forget)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Saxophone posted:

What the poster above me said. Also, craft one each of the resistance brooches. I know the fire one plus eating ice creams had me taking ~90% less fire damage, if not outright absorbing it.

They’re pretty invaluable and I found myself using whichever one the floor was attacking me with or the boss was using. Using those plus a food that gives you resist to double up on it can trivialize some floors/rooms.

Ah! This did the trick! Made a Fire Brooch and conveniently Dylas had given me some Ice Cream the morning (good Horse Husband), and I brought the Fire fairy with me. Between the Brooch and the ice cream I was just absorbing their fire. That was extremely satisfying.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You can, a wall disappears and a switch appears. Also that room sucks because of the knockback, no shame.

I ended up using a spear art that had a hitbox large enough to bypass the wall. A spell works too but then you gotta make a staff etc.

(and I think you're not at the dangerous scissors scorp enemy yet, limiting your armor proper options, but you might be able to make a better hat? I forget)

Oddly enough when trying to get at them with a spear art I discovered I should just poke them with the spear regular attacks if they were close enough. Good to know!

Dirk the Average posted:

Rune Prana is where the gloves come off and where you have to start doing some interesting things to continue, or get yourself so powerful that you can just brute force past the gimmicks. There are accessories that provide resistance to fire (Ruby Brooch or Fire Ring) - you can definitely wear one of those. There are also monsters who are resistant to or absorb fire.

At this point though, I'd sit back and consider what the best armor/weapons you can make with the materials you have access to are. I think you've got orichalcum by now, so you could probably put together something like a Power Protector (assuming you can get to the Heaven's Scissors scorpion enemy). Upgrading your gear so that you're getting at least 1,000 defense from your armor and 500-600 from your other bits and bobs of gear goes a long way towards making enemy attacks hurt a lot less, and will help you as you progress further in the dungeon.

Ah in that case I could stand to upgrade my armor, if I'm supposed to be getting 1000 from armor alone, or does that include helmet? I'm sitting at 1778 melee attack, 960 m. attack, 1200 def, 1300 m. def currently.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Silver Falcon posted:

Ah! This did the trick! Made a Fire Brooch and conveniently Dylas had given me some Ice Cream the morning (good Horse Husband), and I brought the Fire fairy with me. Between the Brooch and the ice cream I was just absorbing their fire. That was extremely satisfying.

Oddly enough when trying to get at them with a spear art I discovered I should just poke them with the spear regular attacks if they were close enough. Good to know!

Ah in that case I could stand to upgrade my armor, if I'm supposed to be getting 1000 from armor alone, or does that include helmet? I'm sitting at 1778 melee attack, 960 m. attack, 1200 def, 1300 m. def currently.

You can also upgrade the fire brooch with object x to reverse the effect of subsequent upgrades, and then upgrade with heavy spice to give more fire resistance. When I played I'd upgraded a brooch of each type like this with matching -resist items like sour drops and sweet powder so I could be basically immune to each element as needed.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

So I went ahead and tweaked my gear for maximum drop rate in RF5, and holy crap does it make a massive difference. I'm seeing drops that I've never seen before, and in very large numbers.

For reference, the numbers are in this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/runefactory/comments/udkerb/psa_drop_rates_rare_drops_clovers_happy_rings_and/

The TLDR is that you should bring 3 NPCs with you, give them all happy rings, upgrade at least one piece of gear they have with a clover, and give them a weapon upgraded with a rare can. You personally should wield a weapon upgraded with a rare can, upgrade at least one item with a clover, and wear a happy ring (or accessory that inherits that property).

Makes a very, very large difference. If you carry a rosary around, you can swap between your drop rate accessory and your rosary to temporarily despawn gates and enemies, and then reequip the drop rate accessory to respawn all the enemies for quicker farming.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
So basically the same as RF4, except this time you can bring 3 people instead of just 1/2?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Kyte posted:

So basically the same as RF4, except this time you can bring 3 people instead of just 1/2?

I think one of the big differences is that RF5 has a lot of drop rates that are around 1%, where I never felt the need to build an item farming set in RF4. And unfortunately, so many of the boss drops are like that, most notably stuff like the General's Orb, which is around a 1% drop rate from one boss. It's also absolutely required for almost all high end equipment, so you can't actually access most of the high end recipes without getting super lucky fighting that one boss over and over.

Thankfully the full drop set brings the odds up to around 20%, which is much better, but that honestly should have been the floor for just about every boss drop.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I wouldn't be surprised if they balanced out the drops around the increased drop boosters.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dirk the Average posted:

The TLDR is that you should bring 3 NPCs with you, give them all happy rings, upgrade at least one piece of gear they have with a clover, and give them a weapon upgraded with a rare can. You personally should wield a weapon upgraded with a rare can, upgrade at least one item with a clover, and wear a happy ring (or accessory that inherits that property).
Do Rare Cans actually do something in 5? They were datamined to not do anything in 4.

reading it, holy poo poo, they're a flat +3% to absolute rate regardless of everything else, that's more than a 10x increase for the first one for some items, what a poorly planned formula

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The last game I played that had 0.2% drop rates on bosses was Ragnarok online. Why this is happening in a Singleplayer game? No idea but its horrible.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I wonder if anyone's figured out how to cheat engine 100% drop rate.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Credits on Rune Factory 5 on Summer 30 of the first year. Verdict: almost as good as Rune Factory 4!

The negative: It definitely suffers a bit from the move to 3D even excluding the performance issues. The lack of a full Act 3 leaves the endgame feeling a bit thin, with a under developed villain. Hard mode isn’t difficult at all, even without abusing crafting mechanics. Performance problems are a big drag.

The positive: I loved the characters at least as much as 4. It’s great that gay romance is allowed. The farming is slightly improved with the addition of the farm dragons. The English dub is quite good. Seeing events on the map is amazing. Fulfilling any number of requests in a day is a big improvement.

I probably won’t do too much in the postgame unless I want to aim for marriage.

I’m so happy that Rune Factory is back with another good release.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Double posting with a stupid minor postgame nitpick: the directive to change your gender seems to be purely display again. Baths don’t change, and neither does the save file icon.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hi RF4 stupid question of the day time: what's up with fruit trees? I have a quest from Eliza to harvest apples. I planted some apple trees, they're grown in 100%, and they aren't producing any fruit. The grape and orange trees I planed previously produce fruit just fine, so I don't get it. Is there something special about apple trees?

.... Is it like Animal Crossing where trees need the 8 squares around them to be free in order to grow properly? Because I have all the trees next to each other in orchard rows.

Help me fix my orchard. I want fruit!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Have you checked the hp of the soil? If it's too low the fruit won't spawn and 4 trees at once need regular infusions.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

FrickenMoron posted:

The last game I played that had 0.2% drop rates on bosses was Ragnarok online. Why this is happening in a Singleplayer game? No idea but its horrible.

it's a game about farming

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Played a bit more with the drop rate setup, and it's really funny when fighting normal enemies. You get so many random rare drops.

The drop formula is definitely badly designed though. Going from 1% or less to 20% is dumb, to say the least. It is serviceable at this point though, and I can pretty easily make whatever I need to. Now I just need the mealy apple enemy to show up and for a green core to appear in Heinz's shop (green cores don't actually drop from anything in the game) and I'm good to go to make a fully optimized set of armor and weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Played a bit more with the drop rate setup, and it's really funny when fighting normal enemies. You get so many random rare drops.

The drop formula is definitely badly designed though. Going from 1% or less to 20% is dumb, to say the least. It is serviceable at this point though, and I can pretty easily make whatever I need to. Now I just need the mealy apple enemy to show up and for a green core to appear in Heinz's shop (green cores don't actually drop from anything in the game) and I'm good to go to make a fully optimized set of armor and weapons.

Have you tried farming Little Grimoire in the SEED fortress with all the boosts? The green core is listed as being a 0.1% drop rate from it, so not even worth attempting without the full drop rate boosts.

Mealy Apple is kinda dumb, because, unless I’m blind, you can’t force a meteor shower to spawn the enemy.