Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ionn posted:

It seems to me that whenever the first snow hits every year, newer AWD cars are overrepresented among those I see having gone off the road. Because "I have AWD I have all the traction snow don't bother me" or something.

Attest. I was driving my Scirocco in the Twin Cities during blizzards and never had an issue, while I saw SUVs and Subarus in the ditches constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Can confirm in NE Ohio as well, every year the ditches are full of people who have just been taught an expensive lesson about how AWD doesn't mean they can just ignore the road conditions.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Attest. I was driving my Scirocco in the Twin Cities during blizzards and never had an issue, while I saw SUVs and Subarus in the ditches constantly.

Light weight FWD cars are often better than heavy AWD/4WD vehicles in snow or mud.

At least this was true with my 2050lbs Echo and 1500lbs CRX

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Loved my Prelude. Got me to the train station and back many a snowy days way back when. I think I've actually lost traction more on my Escape now that I think about it. (Like two minor spinouts over the last half dozen years, nothing terrible though.)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Speeder crashed in the center of Helsinki yesterday. That street goes by the spot for the traditional largest gathering spot for May Day. Watch to the end to see a police van designed to pick up drunkards by the pallet load, and a proper loonie. He's yelling: "Stop, in the name of God! Retreat from beside me Satan!". In a weirdly formal and archaic way. The driver is suspected to be the owner of the car, a government official and a candidate of our biggest right-wing populist political party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2TlUqDB9fA

Police report busy May Day Eve, probe Helsinki and Hyvinkää crashes

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus christ that crosswalk :stare:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

slidebite posted:

Jesus christ that crosswalk :stare:

It is amazing he didn't hit anyone crossing it

That was one hosed Mercedes

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

How fast was that going? Holy poo poo I had the exact same reaction as the people who were just about to step into the road.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Saukkis posted:

He's yelling: "Stop, in the name of God! Retreat from beside me Satan!". In a weirdly formal and archaic way.

Sounds like sovereign citizen and/or "legally insane" defense tactics imo.

Saukkis posted:

The driver is suspected to be the owner of the car, a government official and a candidate of our biggest right-wing populist political party.

There we go.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
We are doomed ...

https://twitter.com/TG22110/status/1520753060838088707

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm not quite sure what the plan was here but they're incredibly lucky those didn't break in a way to have them violently smash the driver's skull.

Or maybe the world is UNlucky?

*edit: I forgot to post the thing

https://twitter.com/TakuroSpirit/status/1521191319024160772?t=u4RxPugvMbBR9Dq9ApXaWQ&s=19

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 2, 2022

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm not quite sure what the plan was here but they're incredibly lucky those didn't break in a way to have them violently smash the driver's skull.

Or maybe the world is UNlucky?

*edit: I forgot to post the thing

https://twitter.com/TakuroSpirit/status/1521191319024160772?t=u4RxPugvMbBR9Dq9ApXaWQ&s=19

Y'know, I always complain that people who buy Barret-Jackson cars don't drive them, so go on ya to this guy.

Also, the guy on the right appears to be pregnant.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PeterCat posted:

Y'know, I always complain that people who buy Barret-Jackson cars don't drive them, so go on ya to this guy.

Maybe they should register it and learn how to drive first, though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

PeterCat posted:

Deteriorata posted:

Maybe they should register it and learn how to drive first, though.

Yeah, someone with fuckaround money to buy a nearly $1mil car, then drives it on a suspended license, with no registration or insurance? That's a poster child for entitlement that needs a brutal punishment that he'll never get.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Saukkis posted:

Speeder crashed in the center of Helsinki yesterday. That street goes by the spot for the traditional largest gathering spot for May Day. Watch to the end to see a police van designed to pick up drunkards by the pallet load, and a proper loonie. He's yelling: "Stop, in the name of God! Retreat from beside me Satan!". In a weirdly formal and archaic way. The driver is suspected to be the owner of the car, a government official and a candidate of our biggest right-wing populist political party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2TlUqDB9fA

Police report busy May Day Eve, probe Helsinki and Hyvinkää crashes

What's the yellow thing the one cop unholsters and very calmly sticks into the guy's side and pulls the trigger on?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Taser. He pulls up the dude's clothes to get some skin. Doesn't look like he actually pulls the trigger though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I saw this guy handing out chips today.

That's a truck I don't trust.
Spotted today:

This guy was a loving contractor, which suggests he does this pretty much every day. The trailer was also riding on the bumpstops and had no signal lights or brake lights.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Taser. He pulls up the dude's clothes to get some skin. Doesn't look like he actually pulls the trigger though.

Oh ok, I thought it was odd that there was no sudden extra screaming when that happened.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

Spotted today:

This guy was a loving contractor, which suggests he does this pretty much every day. The trailer was also riding on the bumpstops and had no signal lights or brake lights.
I would literally call the cops on a guy like that. How loving stupid do you have to be. I get going around the block or your front yard to back, but around the city on major roads? I mean, make an attempt with a $5 tarp at the minimum FFS.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

How badly is the road leading up to this junction signposted/controlled?!

https://twitter.com/MykeyMercado/status/1522270221406375936?t=pqEGUg7qrM2jWDSu8DEgmQ&s=19

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Olympic Mathlete posted:

https://twitter.com/MykeyMercado/status/1522270221406375936?t=pqEGUg7qrM2jWDSu8DEgmQ&s=19

Replies say it's an off ramp that takes you from an interstate, around a blind corner, directly to the stop light. There are 30mph speed limit signs that should be a clue, and signs warning about the light, but if you ignore those the signal basically materializes out of nowhere and you have 150 feet to react.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 6, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

BraveUlysses posted:

it's tight in the sense it's difficult for drooling moron drivers to navigate

here's a google street view of the exit, it does warn you to slow down to 20 and you have several hundred feet to do so.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
That exit is notoriously short compared to all other exits in the area. Most exits are long, and sweeping and give you lots of time to gradually slow down. Exit 165B is like a quarter mile, with a hard right thrown in there, and immediately into a stoplight. People think they can get off there right away and are usually still doing 40 - 60 by the time they come around the corner.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Solar Coaster posted:

That exit is notoriously short compared to all other exits in the area. Most exits are long, and sweeping and give you lots of time to gradually slow down. Exit 165B is like a quarter mile, with a hard right thrown in there, and immediately into a stoplight. People think they can get off there right away and are usually still doing 40 - 60 by the time they come around the corner.

We have an exit similar to this in my town but I've never seen or even heard of anyone loving up this badly on it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Large Testicles posted:

We have an exit similar to this in my town but I've never seen or even heard of anyone loving up this badly on it.

This particular one is right under the Washington State Convention Center and you get a lot of people from out of town taking it and finding out the hard way about the speed limit.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh ok, I thought it was odd that there was no sudden extra screaming when that happened.

That cop had a though choice to make, which would be more annoying to listen to, taser screams or the exorcism. A newspaper consulted a local bishop. His incantation is known as "exorcism of satan" and the phrases are from gospel of Matthew.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/wspd6pio/status/1523736887562698753?s=21&t=9UBqZXUs7cK9CUn4Jo9sDg

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm curious what the strap is anchored to up top.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It goes all the way to the front bumper of the UHaul

Or maybe it just goes all the way around the UHaul and the ends of the ratchet strap are hooked together underneath against the exhaust.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

I'm curious what the strap is anchored to up top.

You can see the strap over the hood. it's either going to the front bumper/crossmember, or completely encircles the vehicle.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I see it now. Maybe the wiper arm.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The dictionary definition of determination right there.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

My mom did that with a Beetle in the 80's. IDK how they got it in but she told me it was a huge pain in the rear end to get out because it had high centered itself on the U-haul's wheel arches.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
from a local FB group about 5-6 years ago...i swear i posted this a while ago but i cant find the post so i'll rehost em:

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
tow dollies are like 20$ I don't get it

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Large Testicles posted:

My mom did that with a Beetle in the 80's. IDK how they got it in

Beetles are light enough that you could stick one in the back of a U-haul with like 4 dudes. Pick up the light front end and put it in the truck. Lift up the rear end and roll it in. People used to pick them up and move them or park them 90° as a joke.

Only 4 bolts hold the body on to the "body pan"/drivetrain/frame. People used to undo those bolts and carry the Beetle on to the roof of buildings.

A lot more pranks just carried up the shell.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

MisterOblivious posted:

Beetles are light enough that you could stick one in the back of a U-haul with like 4 dudes. Pick up the light front end and put it in the truck. Lift up the rear end and roll it in. People used to pick them up and move them or park them 90° as a joke.

Only 4 bolts hold the body on to the "body pan"/drivetrain/frame. People used to undo those bolts and carry the Beetle on to the roof of buildings.

A lot more pranks just carried up the shell.

We did something like that to a friend's Rabbit in high school, every once in a while a group of people would move it around.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJWemPyCHB8

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Mentos commercials are some of the only good things to come out of the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Large Testicles posted:

We did something like that to a friend's Rabbit in high school, every once in a while a group of people would move it around.

I had an X1/9 in high school and had the same experience. I’d come back to find the car moved to different locations at least once a week. best prank was the time they rotated it 90 degrees then shoehorned it between two other parked cars