Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

:stonk:

Monty

Compu-toon

Come on, man

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 24, 2000)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Comic Strips 2022: I am going to rub crushed red pepper flakes in my eyes so I don't have to look at this

Prince Valiant

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Bruceski posted:

That one was real charming and open-minded until I got down to the caption.

Maybe I'm broken but I can't find the charming and open-minded reading of this. Help me out?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Presumably that the girl named in the graffiti is the one beating up the boy.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

MariusLecter posted:

Maybe I'm broken but I can't find the charming and open-minded reading of this. Help me out?

It kinda read like a couple childish crushes colliding (and in front of said crush no less) to me at first.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

readingatwork posted:

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.
Betty?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsVtrPbtEeQ&t=68s

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

Presumably that the girl named in the graffiti is the one beating up the boy.

Yeah, that's how I read it at first, then I thought one boy was beating up the other one because he liked the same girl, and finally I arrived that he's beating up the other boy because the other boy wrote that he liked the girl. Which still isn't quite bad except for the caricature and the old man having to have the situation explained to him.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

The Luxury Trap is a norwegian show where economists tries to help people who spend more than they have on luxury items and have ended up with huge debts as a result.
L-Innsikt

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Guindon

Gahan

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

In a way it's impressive how poor this guy's grasp of "what animals look like" is, and how he doesn't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

This would be better if Bartender hadn’t let the dealer get away with it for however long. Also Mr President, you really do not need to pay the man.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Potsticker posted:

Yeah, that's how I read it at first, then I thought one boy was beating up the other one because he liked the same girl, and finally I arrived that he's beating up the other boy because the other boy wrote that he liked the girl. Which still isn't quite bad except for the caricature and the old man having to have the situation explained to him.

I'm 99% sure that the "enormity of the crime" combined with the emphasis on "she" is explicitly a racial thing - the joke of the comic is that the one boy is absolutely furious that the graffiti writer wouldmimply he would be interested in a black girl.

Which makes the whole thing really ugly without even needing the caption.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/30/02

Brenda Starr 8/26-28/48

Oh no, the worst thing of all, having to feed a baby!

Smokey Stover 8/24/47

Everyday Movies 2/6/35

"The last time I was here I brought home Spanish shawls, and how I got stuck! I've been stuck more than anyone else in Havana."

I think Wortman is using "stuck" here in the sense of "cheated, outbargained, overcharged" rather than other possible meanings...

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gnoman posted:

I'm 99% sure that the "enormity of the crime" combined with the emphasis on "she" is explicitly a racial thing - the joke of the comic is that the one boy is absolutely furious that the graffiti writer wouldmimply he would be interested in a black girl.

Which makes the whole thing really ugly without even needing the caption.

Yeah, it just took a while for my brain to get there was what I was trying to explain.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 8/24/47

You know, as bees do. They famously go around stinging flowers. For reasons.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

crifmif.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

....aaaaannnd you just killed the tree by girdling it!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Is the "newborn display showroom" even a real thing anymore? I admit I have no idea how these things are actually done, but all the new dads standing together at the big window just seems like it should be one of those things that hasn't actually existed since Eisenhower was president, even if TV comedies are still keeping the idea alive.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

FoxTrot

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (May 4, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa!

Mutt and Jeff didn't show up today. Let's hope it's only temporary.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

1. Why did you pick out the clown bathingsuit?
2. Why can't you bring your kid into the changing room?

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Time for a relaxing evening watching Lisa's Legacy, the series! (also I would say I don't know a single older person who doesn't just write down passwords for Netflix and the like, but my father-in-law calls us pretty regularly to ask what our Hulu password is. We've never changed it.)

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 1, 2022

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

double post

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Green Intern posted:

2. Why can't you bring your kid into the changing room?

She did, she just got so wrapped up in her self loathing that she didn't notice the kid crawled under the door and left.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Don't be that guy, Cooper!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Powered Descent posted:

Is the "newborn display showroom" even a real thing anymore? I admit I have no idea how these things are actually done, but all the new dads standing together at the big window just seems like it should be one of those things that hasn't actually existed since Eisenhower was president, even if TV comedies are still keeping the idea alive.

It's a nursery. I don't think newborns are whisked away to them immediately any more (hospitals strive to be "baby friendly", which means promoting skin-to-skin contact and breastfeeding), but they exist. When my wife was recovering from her c-section, we had the option to put our child in the nursery. We didn't mainly because we forgot, but also because we had a private room and I was there with them 24/7

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kevin and Kell is low key the most horrifying comic strip I've ever seen. I was already pretty disturbed by the idea of these sentient beings hunting and eating each other in what is otherwise a civilized society, but I just caught on to what the "herd thinners" are. Jesus Christ

E: it's some kind of sex thing for Holbrook isn't it

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 1, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Our first was born Apgar 1 (mostly dead) and spent some time in the NICU. She spent a few hours in one of these rooms at Hospital 1 before she and mom were ambulanced to Better-equipped Hospital 2. (Baby and mom are fine, 10 years on.)

e: there was one other baby in there and I didn't see any other dads, though I wasn't standing there the whole time.

Our second was born without incident at Hospital 1, and as far as I can remember never left the room between being born and us walking out the front door with her.

A+J

Huxley fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 1, 2022

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Sagebrush posted:

Kevin and Kell is low key the most horrifying comic strip I've ever seen. I was already pretty disturbed by the idea of these sentient beings hunting and eating each other in what is otherwise a civilized society, but I just caught on to what the "herd thinners" are. Jesus Christ

Unironically Herd Thinners has never been subtext, it's completely and totally corporate meat production through hunting and killing strangers, run by a CEO who will just casually kill and eat anyone under him if he feels like it. It would be scathingly anticapitalist if not the fact that this is positioned as a necessary evil for society in order to be "better than ours" and was also invented by the secret conspiracy of birds who used to rule the world until they turned it over to AIs so the birds could go off and live their lives.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

I'm not the biggest New Nancy fan, but I appreciate the robot getting a close-up panel.

Calaveron posted:

loving quakers are less prudish than this

I know some Quakers. Friends gently caress.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Proto-humans used to kill and eat each other too. We outgrew it when we became civilized. What horror is there in the Kevin and Kell world where these animals can have cars and computers and everything but still think that murdering and eating each other for sustenance is just how society has to work? How did they miss that particular turn?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe? Probably? But Holbrook's hell world is just what you end up with when you base your comic strip setting on the Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog cartoons.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Time for a relaxing evening watching Lisa's Legacy, the series! (also I would say I don't know a single older person who doesn't just write down passwords for Netflix and the like, but my father-in-law calls us pretty regularly to ask what our Hulu password is. We've never changed it.)

I only had to enter my password once for all my streaming services and then my tv and computer remembered it for me.