Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Agreed. If anyone is qualified to call a game without mispronouncing a name, it’s Arlo. I don’t think he’s energetic enough for calling hockey, but he’s very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I think I'm rooting for Calgary because I liked Calle Jarnkrok. Excited for my first NHL playoff experience!

hope you also like being incredibly disappointed

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Levitate posted:

MSG is doing all of the rangers first round
Games

ESPN and Turner are producing every game, local broadcasts will do their team's first round and the national feed will be blacked out in that market.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Jesus Christ here's a depressing stat I stumbled across today.. this 98 point season is the Stars 2nd best point total in the last 15 years... And the Stars don't even deserve those 98 points, they had the 20th best goal differential in the league.. only the teams that gave up on their seasons at the trade deadline were worse.

what a depressing team I've chosen to spend my adult life following :(

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Starsfan posted:

Jesus Christ here's a depressing stat I stumbled across today.. this 98 point season is the Stars 2nd best point total in the last 15 years... And the Stars don't even deserve those 98 points, they had the 20th best goal differential in the league.. only the teams that gave up on their seasons at the trade deadline were worse.

what a depressing team I've chosen to spend my adult life following :(

Are you just trying to manifest another finals run through sheer negative energy?

If so I’m okay with that

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I really do feel like Calgary could wind up in the SCF and the chances are non-trivial. They are really really good.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

I really do feel like Calgary could wind up in the SCF and the chances are non-trivial. They are really really good.

Given how stratified the league was this year, I wouldn't be at all surprised if any of the playoff teams won the cup this year. Except for Toronto of course that's not happening.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ThinkTank posted:

Given how stratified the league was this year, I wouldn't be at all surprised if any of the playoff teams won the cup this year. Except for Toronto of course that's not happening.

You really wouldn’t be surprised if Dallas won the cup. Really?

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
edit: wrong thread.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 1, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

AsInHowe posted:

ESPN and Turner are producing every game, local broadcasts will do their team's first round and the national feed will be blacked out in that market.

Are the networks bringing in reinforcements for playoff games as NBC used to do? It'd be a shame for John Forslund to have nothing to do for the next couple of months given the Kraken are out.

Are they still blacking out the national feed in the local market? I was able to have my choice of NBC or the local the last couple seasons the CBJ were in.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/MollieeWalkerr/status/1520792682012020737

Well that's a relief. I do t really trust Gallants injury "assessments" after Kakko missed months and he said "he's fine".

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I hope the Rangers do well in the East...

I will watch the Oilers in the West. *neutral face *

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Are the networks bringing in reinforcements for playoff games as NBC used to do? It'd be a shame for John Forslund to have nothing to do for the next couple of months given the Kraken are out.

I'm sure they will. Forslund will be on TNT/TBS.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Zoran posted:

Are you just trying to manifest another finals run through sheer negative energy?

If so I’m okay with that

I'm giving em my negative energy too :goku:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

I'm giving em my negative energy too :goku:

I will give them just enough energy to knock out Calgary because I think that would be the funniest upset in the first round.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

MoaM posted:

I hope the Rangers do well in the East...

I will watch the Oilers in the West. *neutral face *

The Oilers are now good because of Jazzy Jay Woodcroft

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I think I'm rooting for Calgary because I liked Calle Jarnkrok. Excited for my first NHL playoff experience!

Congratulations, you get to see how true this tweet is for the first time

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/456616952153128960?s=20&t=OS2gbqevPAGTHd4LgI3aeg

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Oilers are now good because of Jazzy Jay Woodcroft

Yea, I have noticed a big diff in their play in the little I watched of the regular season.

I just have lots expectations, as usual

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

I will give them just enough energy to knock out Calgary because I think that would be the funniest upset in the first round.

Oilers and Leafs losing again in the first round would be funnier but this is a close third.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Why not all three?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The flames have to sign gaudreau, tkachuk and mangiapane this summer so it’s really all or nothing. A deep run with no cup at the end is ultimately worse than a first round flop

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Calgary is going to play mean against Dallas as revenge for the bubble series.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

Powershift posted:

The flames have to sign gaudreau, tkachuk and mangiapane this summer so it’s really all or nothing. A deep run with no cup at the end is ultimately worse than a first round flop

and Kylington. Mangiapane won't be back.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Powershift posted:

I think you can convince Graudreau to stay if you get to the conference finals. If you lose out in the first round he likely starts looking for a team that doesn't trip over their dick all the time.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Johnny's gotta start scoring goals in the playoffs too, this is a two-way street

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With the playoffs :siren: starting tomorrow :siren: you have around 24 hours to get your predictions in to get Red X'ed.

i've posted the preferred format and bonus questions here but i will dig through just about any posted in there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4000767#post523144168

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

Aces High posted:

Johnny's gotta start scoring goals in the playoffs too, this is a two-way street

well, he doesn't have to drag the corpse of Sean Monahan up and down the ice this year.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
the blues are going to live or die by how well husso performs. the offense is good enough to cancel out the bad defense, but it's a wash. if the refs call the series tight they'll have an edge though

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mike_V posted:

the blues are going to live or die by how well husso performs. the offense is good enough to cancel out the bad defense, but it's a wash. if the refs call the series tight they'll have an edge though

I really hope they don't call it too tight. It'll be a really boring series with the boxes loaded up all night. If they're calling it like playoff hockey every other year I think both teams will have fun with that edge. I'm not sure how quickly Minnesota will solve Husso, but I'm willing to bet he'll steal a game or two. Minnesota has had plenty of PK practice the last two weeks though, so it'll be interesting to see with a full roster how this goes.

Good luck, have fun. It's going to be a series with two really well matched teams.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If my team were playing the Blues I'd be hoping yhey call it super tight, no team thrives on uncalled holding and interference as much as the Blues do except maybe the Flames.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/JamesonCoop/status/1521138799455129600?t=YwoAOICYP2iGnQ2t2iVz3A&s=19

Ekblad practicing in top pairing which is encouraging, the last clip I saw of him just over a week or so ago did not look like someone who was ready to take the ice but we've just gotten to the early part of his expected recovery window. I've been pessimistic about his return chances for the first few games, but this makes me happy.

Other than Nutivaara who has only played 1 game with us all season, it looks like we're going into post season pretty healthy which is great to see.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

If my team were playing the Blues I'd be hoping yhey call it super tight, no team thrives on uncalled holding and interference as much as the Blues do except maybe the Flames.

Minnesota is great 5v5. Power play is decent some weeks. Penalty kill is not good. The Blues have a good PP and a leaky D 5v5.

Minnesota has thrived on uncalled holding and attempted interference this year because most of the time they have puck support or can straight up skate through the guy.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's not 2016 and Ken Hitchcock no longer coaches the team. I'd love it if the Blues got 4-5 PP per game with a tightly called series

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Sheldon Keefe is channeling his inner Babcock and scratching Spezza for game 1 in favour of someone worse. It’s not quite as bad as it could be because Spezza’s a shadow of who he was last year, but there’s just no reason for Kyle Clifford to be anywhere near an NHL roster and he’s absolutely going to take a costly penalty tonight.

I wonder if Keefe is ever going to realize that when you’re the higher seed you don’t actually have to engage in tactical rock paper scissors off the bat, good teams talk about establishing their game and not playing into what the other team wants but Keefe can’t help do the opposite. Big aggressive forechecking team? Better make the lines and PP2 worse so that there’s more guys to participate in post-whistle scrums!

Ultimately it’s all moot if Matthews and Marner repeat their disappearing act from last year, but constantly fixing what isn’t broken is a recurring theme for this coaching staff and it doesn’t help.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ESPN broadcast crews for tonight:
Bruins/Canes- Sean McDonough, Ray Ferraro, Emily Kaplan
Lightning/Leafs- John Buccigross, AJ Mlezcko, Caley Chelios
Blues/Wild- The Wild's Biggest Fan Bob Wischusen, Kevin Weekes, Leah Hextall

That's a whole buncha crap. But then you get the nightcap...

Kings/Oilers- Gord Miller, Cassie Campbell

...and it's all worth it.

e- And this Tweet answers another of my questions:
https://twitter.com/JohnForslund/status/1521204700569169920

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 2, 2022

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Why are gord miller and ray ferraro split??? :(

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Koopa Kid posted:

Sheldon Keefe is channeling his inner Babcock and scratching Spezza for game 1 in favour of someone worse. It’s not quite as bad as it could be because Spezza’s a shadow of who he was last year, but there’s just no reason for Kyle Clifford to be anywhere near an NHL roster and he’s absolutely going to take a costly penalty tonight.

I wonder if Keefe is ever going to realize that when you’re the higher seed you don’t actually have to engage in tactical rock paper scissors off the bat, good teams talk about establishing their game and not playing into what the other team wants but Keefe can’t help do the opposite. Big aggressive forechecking team? Better make the lines and PP2 worse so that there’s more guys to participate in post-whistle scrums!

Ultimately it’s all moot if Matthews and Marner repeat their disappearing act from last year, but constantly fixing what isn’t broken is a recurring theme for this coaching staff and it doesn’t help.

Yeah well, Ryan Reaves is in the lineup for game one for the Rangers, beat that

Realistically I expected that though and oh well. Once Mott got cheap shotted that fourth line was going to be trouble anyways. Reaves soemtimes has good games and if they can keep him and that line away from other teams top lines then hopefully they won't hurt things too bad

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Angry Asian posted:

Ray’s been on ESPN’s “top” crew with Sean McDonough and Emily Kaplan.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Angry Asian posted:

Agreed, they should be together.

e- Oh holy poo poo:
https://twitter.com/markscheig/status/1521213650857611265

Shelley did a WPG/EDM game with John Walton last year for NBC.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Sheldon Keefe is channeling his inner Babcock and scratching Spezza for game 1 in favour of someone worse.

Simmonds can't do all of the punching; he needs Clifford as backup to guarantee that the fourth line is totally useless.

Apparently Ondrej Kase could possibly start on the second line, so someone is likely to get blown the gently caress up tonight. Seriously, he should retire, not hop back in to the playoffs after probably half as much time off as he needed.