Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Are you guys ready for some serious doom posting by Leafs, Pens, and Rangers fans? No? Sorry, you're gonna get it anyways. I'll add each series to the OP once everything is established.

I think so far the only confirmed matchups are Minnesota/St.Louis and LA/Edmonton.

I hope someone does a predictions thread as well so I can get immediately red exxed in 7/8 series

Series:

East

Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Washington Capitals (WC2)
Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (A3)
Carolina Hurricanes (M1) vs. Boston Bruins (WC1)

New York Rangers (M2) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (M3)

West

Colorado Avalanche (C1) vs. Nashville Predators (WC2)
Minnesota Wild (C2) vs. St. Louis Blues (C3)
Calgary Flames (P1) vs. Dallas Stars (WC1)
Edmonton Oilers (P2) vs. Los Angeles Kings (P3)

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Cool, now everyone in the losers thread can have a couple months of reprieve from PAS making GBS threads up their thread until the Penguins win the Cup.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Here for the first round exit by the Wild.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I am hoping the Bruins end up ATL 3 so I can at least hate the team we're gonna lose to more.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SirPablo posted:

Nah this team is better than those years they lost in the 2nd round to Chicago. Only this time it’ll be Colorado.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I am going to cheer for the flames, last time I did - they lost!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SirPablo posted:

Same. Go Blues.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Who is excited for Mike Smith's Conn Smythe winning run!?? I am!!!

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote about the current seeding and potential last minute seeding changes in my OP:

We are all thankful to go back to exciting hockey after the entire month of April had 27 of the 32 NHL teams on sleep mode with nothing to play for. There's only one "race" for a playoff spot left and it got almost entirely wrapped up last night.

-If Dallas gets any point in the standings against the Arizona Coyotes or Anaheim Ducks or the Vegas Golden Knights drop any points in either of their two final games, Dallas qualifies, and Vegas is out.

Very loving unlikely. So let's just focus on the seeding scenarios:

Eastern Conference:

Atlantic

1. Florida Panthers - (clinched home ice advantage in Eastern playoffs, hold a two point lead on Colorado in the President's Trophy race, they play Ottawa and Montreal to finish the season)
2. Toronto Maple Leafs - (clinched round 1 home ice advantage)
3. Tampa Bay Lightning - (hold a three point lead on the Bruins with two games to go)
4/WC1. Boston Bruins - (clinched at least WC1, need to beat Buffalo and Toronto and have the Lightning lose to Columbus and the Islanders to overtake them for a round 1 matchup with the Leafs which every team should want)

Metropolitan:

1. Carolina Hurricanes - (clinched home ice for first two rounds)
2. New York Rangers - (clinched home ice for round one)
3. Pittsburgh Penguins - (hold a 1 point lead on Washington for this spot but have played one more game)
4/WC2. Washington Capitals - (one point back on the Penguins with games against the Islanders and Rangers to go; the Penguins play Columbus to finish out their season)

Western Conference:

Central:

1. Colorado Avalanche - (clinched home ice advantage in Western playoffs, two points back for President's Trophy, they play Nashville and Minnesota to finish the season)
2. Minnesota Wild - (tied with St. Louis at 109 points but have played one fewer game; they play Calgary and Colorado to finish the season)
3. St. Louis Blues - (tied with Minnesota at 109 points; they play Vegas to close out the season)
4/WC1. Nashville Predators - (clinched a playoff spot with Dallas winning last night as they hold a tiebreaker on the Knights and Stars; tied at 95 points with the Stars; play Colorado and Arizona to close out the season)
5/WC2. Dallas Stars - (not clinched until they earn one more point in the standings/Vegas loses one more point; tied with Preds at 95 points; play Arizona and Anaheim to close out the season)

Pacific:

1. Calgary Flames - (clinched home ice for first two rounds)
2. Edmonton Oilers - (clinched home ice in first round with a tiebreaker win over Los Angeles)
3. Los Angeles Kings - (clinched a playoff spot last night)

With these scenarios all in mind, if no teams move spots, the first round is set as:

Washington @ Florida
Tampa Bay @ Toronto
Boston @ Carolina
Pittsburgh @ New York

Dallas @ Colorado
St. Louis @ Minnesota
Nashville @ Calgary
Los Angeles @ Edmonton

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Based on last night, Calgary - Nashville is gonna be a fun series

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They're the two biggest shithead teams in the field so hell yeah it is.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

thehoodie posted:

Based on last night, Calgary - Nashville is gonna be a fun series

Agreed, that was one of the better regular season games I've seen in a long time.

I wonder if Saros is out long term.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Misanthrope posted:

Agreed, that was one of the better regular season games I've seen in a long time.

I wonder if Saros is out long term.

I think he was maybe already a little sore going into the week having give up 6 to Tampa Bay. But if Rittich is playing that series it’s only going four games.

But there will be 34 fighting majors.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Pretty rude to include RAS in the title. We are happy to be here and it's all gravy from here on out.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Robo will win dallas a championship eventually

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Look, it's not doom posting if you're right :colbert:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Last year I just picked whichever team I'd personally rather see lose to win every series and finished near the top, so I'm sticking with the proven strategy this year.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Last year I just picked whichever team I'd personally rather see lose to win every series and finished near the top, so I'm sticking with the proven strategy this year.

I made my actual best guesses and did pretty okay despite watching roughly a cup of coffee's worth of non-playoffs hockey each year

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
2015: Kings miss playoffs
2016: Kings lose in 1st round to Sharks, Sharks lose in finals
2017: Kings miss playoffs
2018: Kings lose in 1st round to Knights, Knights lose in finals
2019: Kings miss playoffs
2022: Kings lose in 1st round to Oilers, Oilers lose in finals?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/drosennhl/status/1519325486538797057

This is going to be a brutal game tonight.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I still can't believe Washington did jack poo poo about their goaltending at the deadline.

Their skaters aren't great but they're good enough where they could make a run if things break right for them. But holy poo poo this is who they are hoping will be their starting goalie:

https://twitter.com/NBCSCapitals/status/1519125119695826944?s=20&t=X9V-M9MYCe7TTWah10fcOA

https://twitter.com/matthewborlik/status/1519143781995585539?s=20&t=qiHCCcXU0om9Otke0AR4nQ

No chance they go anywhere with this clown in net.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Oh yeah can’t wait to see Greg “Hoops” McKegg

https://twitter.com/bkak47/status/1518764246699495424?s=21&t=5hVD6Y0rEIH66xaMnkVYnQ

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Counterpoint: it’s Montreal

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Last night's Blues-Avalanche game in ESPN was maybe the worst NHL broadcast I've ever seen, so I don't think I'm exactly looking forward to watching these playoffs. I'm not entirely convinced the announcers were actually watching the game, but instead maybe listening to a radio broadcast and giving commentary on that. There were tons of technical errors, both audio and visual. My personal fave is when they went picture in picture for commercials they never cut the arena audio.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Personally, I liked the Avs coach Jared Bednar being called "Jared Bedard"

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
https://twitter.com/user/status/1519370172078952448
https://twitter.com/user/status/1519425178358452225

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Quick, sign Askarov for maximum playoff goalie storylines

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Why does the NHL schedule like 15 games one night and 5 on the other why are they so bad at scheduling?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

More important sports use the arenas.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Its been a good 9 months since my team won a Cup, so I think it's about time for them to win another.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I would like it very much if the Toronto Maple Leafs won a Stanley's Cup

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If MTL loses to this lmao

https://twitter.com/MollieeWalkerr/status/1519454334781739010

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

marioinblack posted:

Its been a good 9 months since my team won a Cup, so I think it's about time for them to win another.

The last two were fun-sized so I can understand Tampa fans needing another already

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1519460042826821632?s=20&t=IA7e-W4m1S15U6MEWJAiLw

This is kinda interesting. Morehouse has been CEO forever.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I honestly assumed he went out with the ownership change.

That said though I'm really getting convinced they're blowing it up this summer and tanking for Bedard. Brian Burke's always dreamed of building a team with the Pittsburgh model and now here we are!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Flames calling up Dustin Wolf for a short look

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Mind_Taker posted:

I still can't believe Washington did jack poo poo about their goaltending at the deadline.

Their skaters aren't great but they're good enough where they could make a run if things break right for them. But holy poo poo this is who they are hoping will be their starting goalie:

https://twitter.com/NBCSCapitals/status/1519125119695826944?s=20&t=X9V-M9MYCe7TTWah10fcOA

https://twitter.com/matthewborlik/status/1519143781995585539?s=20&t=qiHCCcXU0om9Otke0AR4nQ

No chance they go anywhere with this clown in net.

I mean, they tried but MAF said nah

Also... Very here for Pens doom posting.

1 and done, baby!

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The last two were fun-sized so I can understand Tampa fans needing another already
2020 AND 2021 Stanley Cup CHAMPIONS.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

This is why the thread was premature. Now we need two threads to laugh about Dallas stumbling into the playoffs while Vegas stumbles out. Three if you count the gameday thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's not often a fanbase would rather play the two-time defending Stanley Cup champions in the first round than the other option, but only one fanbase roots for the Maple Leafs.