Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I respect that OW2 is not everyone's cup of tea and the logic made sense but in hindsight it is extremely funny that people thought 1-2-2 would make people want to play tank less

Don't worry, blizzard is actively trying to make tanking less enjoyable to solve this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sakara123 posted:

Don't worry, blizzard is actively trying to make tanking less enjoyable to solve this problem.

What

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

you heard me.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Tanking is way more fun in pubbie games now but tbh it would probably suck in organised stack queues BC people just seem to leave me alone assuming they can't kill me atm

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Tanking is way more fun in pubbie games now but tbh it would probably suck in organised stack queues BC people just seem to leave me alone assuming they can't kill me atm

Pretty much sums it up, you either get cc'd and deleted or people just play around you. It's not terrible, but it's significantly less fun than it's been in the past.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Pretty much sums it up, you either get cc'd and deleted or people just play around you. It's not terrible, but it's significantly less fun than it's been in the past.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
As someone who plays Mercy only, I like what I'm reading here. I hope I get into the beta :allears:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I don't know where to check this or how to test it but mercy's flight on shift seems to reach a lot further which owns

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I haven't tried Mercy yet, but Moira gets ridiculous air from fade + jump.
You don't even have clip to terrain to do it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

That's been in OW1 for a month or two now. It rules and I hope they never tone it down.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

If your only tank in ow2 either sucks at creating space, or is a ball, the other four players just feed the entire time cause they have nowhere to stand. Three games like that in a row and I'm looking at that uninstall button

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
dunkey chimes in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_0PSZ2S_yw

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Dunkey mirrored pretty much all of my complaints about it, tbh.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
He's right about everything except the gameplay changes, which are cool and good

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Really no idea why people would be excited for some PvE mode. The events that are similar get boring so quickly.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
What's with role queue hate? Isn't the alternative just rolling with 5 dps and hoping someone on your team is less obstinate than the enemy team so you can actually get a support/tank?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

acumen posted:

What's with role queue hate? Isn't the alternative just rolling with 5 dps and hoping someone on your team is less obstinate than the enemy team so you can actually get a support/tank?

Role queue hate is from people that are slampicking DPS.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Really no idea why people would be excited for some PvE mode. The events that are similar get boring so quickly.

Because (in theory*) you can play as whoever you please, contribute regardless of whatever arbitrary concept of balance Geoff pinched off this year, and actually see a tangible reward for doing so

(* - i will have a hearty and bitter laugh if PvE reduces the roster or actually manages to bungle balance so poorly that they recreate the Geoff/Roadhog fiasco in a god damned PvE game, and that is a distinct possibility with Geoff at the wheel)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I guess it depends on how Blizz implements it. I like the idea of levelling different heroes through a series of different missions that might tell a pretty good story about Overwatch. I'm not expecting a lot here since the focus is PVP, but something on par with SC2's co-op missions/mutators would be a pretty fun way to spend a couple hours with e-buds

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Father Wendigo posted:

(* - i will have a hearty and bitter laugh if PvE reduces the roster or actually manages to bungle balance so poorly that they recreate the Geoff/Roadhog fiasco in a god damned PvE game, and that is a distinct possibility with Geoff at the wheel)

I'm expecting roster choices to work like the Archives missions - there'll be a Story Mode where you have limited choices, then the ability to replay the mission with whoever. HOWEVER this would also mean skill progression trees for every hero, which might be a big ask.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I remember the days of joining a game and getting to choose whether to be the only tank or the only healer

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

megane posted:

I remember the days of joining a game and getting to choose whether to be the only tank or the only healer

And no matter which one you picked, people would bitch about not having the other one. Not that they would ever consider changing, of course. That's someone else's job.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Role queue made the majority of players have to choose between intolerably long queue times or playing a role they didn't want to play.

Not sure how you're surprised that some people don't like it.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

megane posted:

Yeah exactly, this was my experience from pre-roleq days. I mean there might be value in making the game less tank/support focused so it's not a requirement (and/or a chore) but until that happens pay your dues or wait a while, dps slammers

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Open role still exists for people who don't like role queue

urea
Aug 18, 2013

role queue is bad because losing due to a bad comp is still more fun than not playing the game at all because you're sitting in a queue. Plus, the enemy has bad comps too so it evens out, and you don't even get really terrible comps most of the time.

effervescible posted:

And no matter which one you picked, people would bitch about not having the other one. Not that they would ever consider changing, of course. That's someone else's job.

They don't switch, because, in my experience, the people who bitch about this are the ones who picked the single tank or healer, who think the game isn't playable if the comp isn't perfect. The others just want to play the game.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The fundamental problem is that blizzard loving sucks poo poo at iterating on balance changes and 5v5 is a lovely attempt to mask that instead of actually enact real change in their process

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

urea posted:

They don't switch, because, in my experience, the people who bitch about this are the ones who picked the single tank or healer, who think the game isn't playable if the comp isn't perfect. The others just want to play the game.

lol, no. I mean, I'm sure that happened sometimes, but in my experience as the person who was either the tank or the healer, it was always one of the other five DPS players bitching about it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

urea posted:

role queue is bad because losing due to a bad comp is still more fun than not playing the game at all because you're sitting in a queue.
Yeah, but if you're willing to play anything other than DPS, you don't have to deal with bad comps or long queues. It's only the DPS-only types who have to wait, so they're the ones who dislike it.

And if you think DPS mains are cheerful, fun-loving buddies who would never hypocritically complain about not having a tank or healer, uh

urea
Aug 18, 2013

The queue problem, by definition, only affects the most popular roles, which the most people find fun. If everyone found every role equally fun, queues would be fast. Doing an activity you don't want to be doing is generally worse than just not doing it.

If playing a different game is a better choice than playing the game in a way which isn't fun or having to not play the game while trying to play the game, for most players of the game, then I consider the thing that causes that a bad feature.

I don't really get the tribalistic antagonism towards <role> mains. It's great that you like playing <unpopular role>, but if everyone else did, you'd have the same problem.

urea fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 1, 2022

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

megane posted:

Yeah, but if you're willing to play anything other than DPS, you don't have to deal with bad comps or long queues. It's only the DPS-only types who have to wait, so they're the ones who dislike it.

And if you think DPS mains are cheerful, fun-loving buddies who would never hypocritically complain about not having a tank or healer, uh

I never understood why people will refuse to play other roles. at worst you get a better understanding of how other heroes function and can play around them better. At best you find another way that you enjoy playing the game. also you get to skip queues. it's a win-win-win. Also it's not like you don't get to to do damage as a tank or support.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It didnt help that there were 6 tanks, 5 supports, and 30548492 DPS characters though, and those DPS characters often played really differently from each other. I liked playing Pharah but there isnt anything that comes close anywhere else. Something about the rocket tracking and height utilization and boop just tickled my brain right. I ended up almost always playing a tank or healer because of role queue and (prior to that) because it was better for the team and winning is fun. But gently caress it, I wanted to play Pharah, not just "DPS".

urea
Aug 18, 2013

megane posted:

It's not about role tribalism, it's just that in my experience, the people who complain are the ones who begrudgingly pick tank/healer, because they think they have to, and are then angry at other players for being selfish and not "shouldering the burden" as they are.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jack Trades posted:

I have played one single game as dps and role queue is stupid as poo poo and was a terrible band aid solution to blizzard either not knowing how to or being unable to balance their game.

back when i played each separate role to diamond it was still stupid as poo poo and the product of blizzard being unable or unwilling to balance OW1.

My #1 issue is that I don't want to spend 10 loving minutes in a menu between games or be forced to heal 100% of the time. With how short matches are it's easy to spend 75% of your time in menus.

urea posted:

The queue problem, by definition, only affects the most popular roles, which the most people find fun. If everyone found every role equally fun, queues would be fast. Doing an activity you don't want to be doing is generally worse than just not doing it.

If playing a different game is a better choice than playing the game in a way which isn't fun or having to not play the game while trying to play the game, for most players of the game, then I consider the thing that causes that a bad feature.

I don't really get the tribalistic antagonism towards <role> mains. It's great that you like playing <unpopular role>, but if everyone else did, you'd have the same problem.

Yeah the solution is and has always been 'make support fun' and not add more and more layers of matchmaker mechanics and split the playerbase between different modes because making supports strong enough that people are fine playing them for a match is one change that blizzard simply refuses to make.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 1, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I have played one single game as dps and role queue is stupid as poo poo and was a terrible band aid solution to blizzard either not knowing how to or being unable to balance their game.

back when i played each separate role to diamond it was still stupid as poo poo and the product of blizzard being unable or unwilling to balance OW1.

My #1 issue is that I don't want to spend 10 loving minutes in a menu between games or be forced to heal 100% of the time. With how short matches are it's easy to spend 75% of your time in menus.

Tank and Healer queues are basically instant. Only DPS players have to wait so you're proving my point here.

You can also play Open Queue.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Tank and Healer queues are basically instant. Only DPS players have to wait so you're proving my point here.

You can also play Open Queue.

I don't play ow1 lol, have you experienced that games community?

Codependent Poster posted:

Open role still exists for people who don't like role queue

Unless I'm misremembering the timeline, didn't they only add this after everyone had already quit?

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 1, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't play ow1 lol, have you experienced that games community?

So you're complaining about a feature that you're not forced to use in a video game that you don't play?

Unless I'm misremembering the timeline, didn't they only add this after everyone had already quit?

In your fantasy world maybe.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Jack Trades posted:

So you're complaining about a feature that you're not forced to use in a video game that you don't play?

big brain moment

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

In your fantasy world maybe.

buddy there is like a single person in here talking about and playing anything other than the ow2 beta

this thread has had 10 pages of posts in the last week and the last 10 pages of posts before that take you back to may 2021

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

role queue didn't work because if people weren't playing the game how you wanted them to originally, they weren't going to do it after role queue, because the problem is they weren't playing the game you wanted them to in the first place because you don't know how to design that loving game. Role queue did what it was supposed to do, which was kill GOATS, but again, GOATS only happened because they couldn't figure out how to balance away from it in the first place.

It would've helped immensely if blizz ever had a clear vision of how the game should play, but I'm not sure they did.