Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Magnetic North posted:

Alright, this might be a weird request. I can't play the video game Payday 2 anymore because of motion sickness. Lately, I've been especially nostalgic for the ol' 'Cop-Clicker' so, I watched Heat for the first time on Pluto.tv to see if I would enjoy it. I did, though it was a little more 'human' than I expected. For background, Inception is probably my favorite movie. That movie is a lot of things but I would not describe it as particularly 'human' and that suits me just fine.

I wanted to see more heist movies, preferably with a lean towards action. Bonus points for a literal bank robbery, ludicrous waves of cops, being clever/cerebral and/or having good visceral action sequences.

I looked at the Wikipedia page for Heist Movies, and could just as easily start there, but the problem is: I am fairly squeamish and I don't want to see movies with lurid depictions of graphic fleshy gore or people squirming around in agony. For instance, (spoilers for 1995's Heat) most of the blood in Heat was fine, like where it's blood on shirts when dudes get shot, but seeing a character with visible slit wrists bothered me. Resources like MPAA ratings or so-called 'parents guides' don't always cover enough, which is why I'm asking here.

I have access to Netflix and Disney+, but feel free to suggest others.

I'd say for modern things The Town and Hell Or High Water might be to your taste. In terms of small bands of heisters fending off waves of enemies in giant gunfights, I'd actually go for older stuff like Bonnie & Clyde or The Wild Bunch, which have plenty of blood squibs but nothing I'd describe as gory by modern terms, especially since it's so stylised - it reminds me somewhat of videogame gunplay even if it predates it by decades.

I don't like to give anti-recommendations but I have to say Dragged Across Concrete is brutal and sporadically gory and I cannot imagine you'd be into it if you were bothered by Heat. It's not an especially serious film but I'd say it's one that is meant to actively repel the sensitive viewer.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
If I like the house parts of Bird Box, but only the scenes inside the house, what other movies have similar elements?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

tuyop posted:

If I like the house parts of Bird Box, but only the scenes inside the house, what other movies have similar elements?

Depending on where you want to end up on the horror-to-sci-fi spectrum of things, you might like one or more of The Others, Signs, The Mist, and Coherence, all of which have significant elements of people bouncing off each other as they shelter against outside horrors.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Depending on where you want to end up on the horror-to-sci-fi spectrum of things, you might like one or more of The Others, Signs, The Mist, and Coherence, all of which have significant elements of people bouncing off each other as they shelter against outside horrors.

Definitely due for a rewatch of Signs, and the others are all solid recs, I’ve just seen them :)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

everyome go see RRR right now

holy poo poo you guys

this is not Bollywood, this is just a straight gently caress-yeah movie on par with Fury Road

there is an action sequence 40m in that would be the final climactic event in any US movie, and when it ends in RRR it is a smash cut to the opening goddamned credits

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

this is not Bollywood, this is just a straight gently caress-yeah movie on par with Fury Road

Well, yeah. It's Telugu cinema which is definitely Not Bollywood

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Gripweed posted:

What are some good cult movies? I mean movies featuring cults, not movies with cult followings. Although movies about cults that also have cult followings are fine.

Night of the Seagulls (1975).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FancyMike posted:

Well, yeah. It's Telugu cinema which is definitely Not Bollywood

just letting people know when they see the poster that it isn't yet another endless giant dance setpiece movie it is (in the dictionary definition of the word) epic.

although there is exactly one dance number and it also loving owns

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 3, 2022

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Magnetic North posted:

Alright, this might be a weird request. I can't play the video game Payday 2 anymore because of motion sickness. Lately, I've been especially nostalgic for the ol' 'Cop-Clicker' so, I watched Heat for the first time on Pluto.tv to see if I would enjoy it. I did, though it was a little more 'human' than I expected. For background, Inception is probably my favorite movie. That movie is a lot of things but I would not describe it as particularly 'human' and that suits me just fine.

I wanted to see more heist movies, preferably with a lean towards action. Bonus points for a literal bank robbery, ludicrous waves of cops, being clever/cerebral and/or having good visceral action sequences.

I looked at the Wikipedia page for Heist Movies, and could just as easily start there, but the problem is: I am fairly squeamish and I don't want to see movies with lurid depictions of graphic fleshy gore or people squirming around in agony. For instance, (spoilers for 1995's Heat) most of the blood in Heat was fine, like where it's blood on shirts when dudes get shot, but seeing a character with visible slit wrists bothered me. Resources like MPAA ratings or so-called 'parents guides' don't always cover enough, which is why I'm asking here.

I have access to Netflix and Disney+, but feel free to suggest others.

Den of Thieves is a mixed bag, but Gerard Butler is hilarious in it and it has an amazing shoot-out that I consider (don't boo me) on par with Heat.
Wrath of Man has too many plotlines, but there is some decent heisting in there and being a Jason Statham movie it deffo focuses on the action.
Ambulance is very, very Michael Bay, but if you want heists, action and dozens of cop cars flying around in Blues Brothers-like crashes it doesn't get any better.

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
Watched Margin Call this week. It was great, and I also love 12 Angry Men.
What are more movies that make meetings engaging or show a team planning/strategizing over a problem? Could be any setting or team dynamic really.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
You might like Moneyball or Shin Godzilla

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, those are both great. Might be obvious but The Social Network would fit, and I'd say Glengarry Glen Ross and Frost/Nixon would count.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Maybe Spotlight?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

therattle posted:

Maybe Spotlight?

Yeah, journalism movies are good for that. Zodiac, All The President's Men, The Insider.

Bridge of Spies is another GREAT meeting movie.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Gripweed posted:

I should’ve been more specific, I mean proper cults. Robes, sacrifices, a nude lady tied to an altar, that whole vibe. They don’t have to be satanic, but that kind of old school satansploitation thing.

The Conspiracy maybe? Ticks a few of those boxes.

I'm looking for more films like Calibre which aren't horror but still manage to elicit the same level of anxiety and tension.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tea Bone posted:

The Conspiracy maybe? Ticks a few of those boxes.

I'm looking for more films like Calibre which aren't horror but still manage to elicit the same level of anxiety and tension.

I got one, it's nothing like Calibre but after I showed it to a friend he literally said "That wasn't a horror movie but it felt like a horror movie and now I'm going to be jumpy all night"

The fake documentary Alternative 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iXDB5kp9t8

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

LittleFuryThings posted:

Watched Margin Call this week. It was great, and I also love 12 Angry Men.
What are more movies that make meetings engaging or show a team planning/strategizing over a problem? Could be any setting or team dynamic really.

"Locke" isn't about a team, but I think it scratches this itch. Just a guy talking his way through a couple of problems he has.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
So I'm currently in Shanghai and stuck in the lockdown. Myself and a few friends have decided to keep sane by watching and discussing a different movie every evening. We did the Oscar nominees, and now we're doing time travel movies.1 We're getting towards the end, and I need another 2-3 movies to round out the list. Here's what we have watched/are scheduled to watch:

code:

12 Monkeys
About Time
Army of Darkness
Back to The Future
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Black Knight
Deja Vu
Donnie Darko
Flight of the Navigator
Frequency
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel
Hot Tub Time Machine
Idiocracy
Kate and Leopold
Kung Fury
Last Night in Soho
Looper
Meet the Robinsons
Midnight in Paris
Palm Springs
Peggy Sue Got Married
Predestination
Primer
Russian Ark
Safety Not Guaranteed
Slaughterhouse Five
Tenet
Terminator 2
The Butterfly Effect
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
The Terminator
The Time Machine
Time Bandits
Timecop

Anyone have any strong recommendations not on the list? Caveats: we're not doing time loop movies (aside from Palm Springs) as we did those on New Year, and I refuse to acknowledge cryo-sleep as time travel because by that logic taking a nap is time travel. Oh, and for obvious reasons we can't do films only available in the cinema.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Philadelphia experiment
Source code
Timeline
The Adam project

Azhais fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 17, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
Timecrimes (Los Cronocrimenes)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Interstellar

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Time After Time for sure. Star Trek IV is a remake of it created by the same folks, but switching out David Warner as Jack the Ripper for some whales.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Prince Turveydrop posted:

Timecrimes (Los Cronocrimenes)

Definitely this one. And in a very similar vein, Triangle. (Though it's not quite as much a time travel movie as Timecrimes is.)

Daduzi posted:

we're not doing time loop movies (aside from Palm Springs) as we did those on New Year
Oh. In that case I think Triangle is out but Timecrimes should still be ok.

And while you have BTTF on there, you should really add BTTF 2 as it plays around with the concept much more than the original, in some clever ways.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 17, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Daduzi posted:

Anyone have any strong recommendations not on the list? Caveats: we're not doing time loop movies (aside from Palm Springs) as we did those on New Year, and I refuse to acknowledge cryo-sleep as time travel because by that logic taking a nap is time travel. Oh, and for obvious reasons we can't do films only available in the cinema.

This might be redundant due to the inclusion of 12 Monkeys (which is itself a remake of this movie) but I liked the 1962 French film La Jetée. It's very short and has a very unusual visual style.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Somewhere in Time (1980) Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour, Christopher Plummer

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I forgot to include The Final Countdown in my list

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Assuming you're okay with subs, Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
I watched The Item and it was the worst rear end piece of rear end movie I've ever seen and I need other movies that are clearly trying to ape Tarantino's style of cool characters with witty dialogue, bonus points if the writer/director in the leading role

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Ibexaz posted:

I watched The Item and it was the worst rear end piece of rear end movie I've ever seen and I need other movies that are clearly trying to ape Tarantino's style of cool characters with witty dialogue, bonus points if the writer/director in the leading role

I can't remember much of the dialogue but Bad Times at the El Royale gave me huge pseudo Tarantino vibes. And to a lesser extent No Exit.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Ibexaz posted:

2 Days in the Valley

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ibexaz posted:

Lucky Number Slevin

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Things to do in Denver when you're Dead

One of the above is pretty good, one is utter dreck. Which is which I leave as an exercise for the reader.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ibexaz posted:

8 Heads in a Duffel Bag
Employee of the Month (the Matt Dillon not the Dane Cook one)

There's also one I can't remember the title of, that's trying to be Quentin Tarantino meets Fargo. About an insurance agent who tries to steal a violin, that is just absolute dogshit.

Edit: Thin Ice

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 18, 2022

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Ibexaz posted:

Lowlife
First Love

I quite enjoyed both.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

BioTech posted:

Lowlife
First Love

I quite enjoyed both.

I hadn't thought of it before, but yeah First Love does have a bit of an early Tarantino vibe. But, like, better. I'm not sure if it fits the criteria exactly because its clearly not intentionally trying to ape Tarantino. It is extremely Miike.

Either way, more people need to watch First love, its fantastic.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Lucky Number Slevin

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Things to do in Denver when you're Dead

One of the above is pretty good, one is utter dreck. Which is which I leave as an exercise for the reader.

one of those is good, one is bad, one I haven't seen but it sounds really bad

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That old story about James Cameron writing Alien on a whiteboard and then adding a dollar sign, but instead he writes seven on the board and then adds an l

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I never got around to watching Lucky Numbers Olne through Slix, so I don't know if I'd be able to follow the plot of Slevin.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
it seems there is a storied tradition of having a movie say "yo gently caress robots" and then a sequel is like #notallrobots, like The Matrix, Alien, and The Terminator. Any other good/well-known ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

VROOM VROOM posted:

it seems there is a storied tradition of having a movie say "yo gently caress robots" and then a sequel is like #notallrobots, like The Matrix, Alien, and The Terminator. Any other good/well-known ones?

Arguably some of the later live-action Transformers movie fall into this mold.