Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Sometimes I idly think about the Kith and Kin book for Changeling 2nd edition.
You and Onyx Path appear to give it about the same amount of thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

You and Onyx Path appear to give it about the same amount of thought

I swear I just got an update about that?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Soonmot posted:

I'm mostly just being salty about it not being out still, and how their "The Hedge" book is probably going to come out some time around the second Barron Trump term. At least all the Scion stuff seems to be moving along at a fair clip, and has a ton of books supporting it (which I will buy day 0).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

Yeah. I think it's finally progressed to editing.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Speaking of OPP focusing on their own games, looks like the Demigod PDF just dropped for backers.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

GimpInBlack posted:

Speaking of OPP focusing on their own games, looks like the Demigod PDF just dropped for backers.

hell yes

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We got a good amount of books for nuTrinity, which I really liked so far.

Edit: Kind of which they'd brought back Andrew Bates but like a lot of the old writers he's moved on.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Occasionally I look at how much has been released for Awakening 2E versus how much has been released for M20 over the same period of time, and I cry a few angry tears.
I just want Tome of the Pentacle / Fallen Worlds, is that too much to ask?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

cptn_dr posted:

Occasionally I look at how much has been released for Awakening 2E versus how much has been released for M20 over the same period of time, and I cry a few angry tears.
I just want Tome of the Pentacle / Fallen Worlds, is that too much to ask?

I hate the demiurge! I hate the demiurge!

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
I’m not sure how “they’re focusing on their own games” explains how they keep doing kickstarters for the worst Mage game but I’m also a notable idiot so it’s entirely possible I’m missing something.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Berkshire Hunts posted:

I’m not sure how “they’re focusing on their own games” explains how they keep doing kickstarters for the worst Mage game but I’m also a notable idiot so it’s entirely possible I’m missing something.

They know what their books actually sell, especially post kickstarter. I really am curious how their own IP stacks up against old White Wolf properties if you exclude what they do during kickstarters.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Yeah they clearly are just not going to do Chronicles stuff once the existing stuff is out.

I always thought Rich was embattled but okay but man, confront him with 'Hey there's no Chronicles, looks like it's dead,' and he responds to you calm and peaceful, 'What are you talking about?" 'Well you don't got nothing planned for it, 'We don't announce everything planned.' 'And you stopped mentioning it at all in your Monday Meeting posts," 'Sometimes there's nothing to say.' Like he took a loving NDA that says, 'Don't say anything about Chronicles. EVER! But if someone mentions it's dead, talk to them."

It's like ambivalence destroyed what could have been a good game. loving sucks.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, may as well just admit that they’re only going to release the rest of the books sometime in the next 5-7 years. At least then new players won’t buy any books thinking the rest of the set will be coming out. Can’t sell copies when you’re not publishing any. And the longer they wait to release them the fewer supplements you’ll sell.

It’s not dead, but it did get sent to a retirement community and no one is coming to visit anymore.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I played coteries of new york and was really into it until the end where nothing you did mattered, hahaha, dance puppet dance!

Like that's the worst type of loving story to tell, plus the SI were loving chumps until the story needed them not to be. Not enough opportunities to use my disciplines when they made sense to use. Are you even able to die before the end? I was brujah and really wanted to use my presence to talk down the SI during the gangrel raid on the castle, but the NPCS were like, "no, we're not doing that."

It also had some hosed up choice tracking because I straight up told Mia that I was here to arrange a meeting with my patron and Tourqe, but when I told Torque that, she blew up claiming I lied. Lady, I was straight with you from the beginning!

IDK, I played the whole thing in one sitting, but only because it came with my order of swansong, and it didn't do anything to convince me that interactive novels are the direction I want vampire games to take.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Oh Yeah Coteries were not great. Shadows are much better because you do at least get some choices and your character is not a complete wallpaper so if you can get that cheap it might be worth it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Night Road is still the best recent game offering. (Get Night Road).

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Night Road rocks.

Shadows of New York is the stronger of the two "Of New York" games, but I liked that Coteries makes it clear that being a fledgling loving sucks.

Also the music in Shadows is loving fantastic.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Soonmot posted:

Are you even able to die before the end?

Yeah everyone should do a run where you refuse to work with the Sheriff at all.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ritorix posted:

Yeah everyone should do a run where you refuse to work with the Sheriff at all.

But he's so charming :v:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Guess who just scored 3 boxes of old RPGs at a local game store for 200 CDN, including a full run of Orpheus and if not the entire run of Hunter: The Reckoning, drat close.

This is why I keep a database of my collection on my phone.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 30, 2022

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Nice!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Whelp, one of the devs just confirmed that one of the best parts of oWoD is still canon!

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Revenant:_The_Ravishing

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Whelp, one of the devs just confirmed that one of the best parts of oWoD is still canon!

I, for one, am immensely excited to see how Black Dog Game Factory fared since their buyout by Not-CCP.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzz posted:

(Get Night Road).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Free Cog posted:

I, for one, am immensely excited to see how Black Dog Game Factory fared since their buyout by Not-CCP.

Stack underflow- "Norsferatu" has turned Black Dog into a transmedia titan with a very well paid and respected workforce that consciously avoids sensitive ongoing world events in its books.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Kavak posted:

"Norsferatu"

I thought we had a :chefkiss: emoji, but i can't find it so :discourse: will have to do

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fuzz posted:

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Revenant:_The_Ravishing

:allears:

The player in my V5 game "works" (it's her cover) at a Black Dog office in SF because I thought it would be very funny.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kavak posted:

Stack underflow- "Norsferatu" has turned Black Dog into a transmedia titan with a very well paid and respected workforce that consciously avoids sensitive ongoing world events in its books.

Holy poo poo this needs to become canon. Someone start tweeting at Achilli.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Fuzz posted:

You're not kidding. I've had it in on my list forever now. I finally got to it and, whoa. I expected it to be pretty good, but drat it's really good.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
If a Giovanni wanted to use Cloud Memory, would they use the command "Fuggedaboutit"?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Plotac 75 posted:

If a Giovanni wanted to use Cloud Memory, would they use the command "Fuggedaboutit"?

Do the Giovanni have gabaghouls?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I'm planning to run a CoD Hunter game set in the 1970s where the players are FBI agents, where in the chaos of Hoover's death someone manages to sneak them into an X-Files division, partially because I have no creativity, partially because the world needs more Darren McGavin. My thinking is it'll be just-above-blue-book in terms of conspiracy size - they'll have resources available to them as government agents, but no supernatural resources to start.

Anyone have tips on running a two-player game? Lowest I've ever run is four-player, but I've finally found two players in my friend circle that reliably show up to games and I'd rather run a smaller group than cancel two games a month. I'd rather not play a character or mega-involved NPC if I can avoid it. I imagine this is more about managing power levels and encounters. Is there a quick-and-dirty guide on designing encounters based on characters' power levels? Something like "total dice pool per encounter" could be useful, but my math skills don't extend to that level of probability management.

Well Played Mauer fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 9, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Two players is completely possible. Just be mindful that having a numerical advantage is a really big one. Don’t send in a dozen monsters unless they can get mowed down with a machine gun, and listen to what they’re guessing about and tailor things a little to make it fit a bit to what they’re imagining. You can make it really connected to the individual characters and really ratchet up the stakes like they did with Mulder and Scully when they got buried in the conspiracy.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I mean since they are playing mortals random mook with a gun is dangerous so keep in mind that the moment someone busts out a weapon pcs can be in danger.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Well Played Mauer posted:

I'm planning to run a CoD Hunter game set in the 1970s where the players are FBI agents, where in the chaos of Hoover's death someone manages to sneak them into an X-Files division, partially because I have no creativity, partially because the world needs more Darren McGavin. My thinking is it'll be just-above-blue-book in terms of conspiracy size - they'll have resources available to them as government agents, but no supernatural resources to start.

Anyone have tips on running a two-player game? Lowest I've ever run is four-player, but I've finally found two players in my friend circle that reliably show up to games and I'd rather run a smaller group than cancel two games a month. I'd rather not play a character or mega-involved NPC if I can avoid it. I imagine this is more about managing power levels and encounters. Is there a quick-and-dirty guide on designing encounters based on characters' power levels? Something like "total dice pool per encounter" could be useful, but my math skills don't extend to that level of probability management.

You can always have the players look into meatshields/helpers through the Retainer merit to balance out combat

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Honestly, you’d be designing the stories around “not combat.”

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I’ve had a tendency to run detective stories more than “hit it with a wrench” stories just by my nature, which is probably why I tend to like the lower end of the power curve for most of my CoD games, I guess. Upside is the source material has plenty of stories where the resolution is “run the hell away,” so players will know what they’re in for.

In terms of conflict, I’m actually less concerned about running up against a monster, since the power dynamic in that would probably lead them to be cautious or be ok with running. In my head I have them going up against cultists,l or other supporters of whatever Big Bad they’re dealing with and I don’t want to accidentally merk them by making things too hard by accident. I was thinking there might be some rule of thumb for mook-style NPCs to deal with since I last ran CoD (before second ed dropped), but if not I’m sure we’ll wing it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Well Played Mauer posted:

I’ve had a tendency to run detective stories more than “hit it with a wrench” stories just by my nature, which is probably why I tend to like the lower end of the power curve for most of my CoD games, I guess. Upside is the source material has plenty of stories where the resolution is “run the hell away,” so players will know what they’re in for.

In terms of conflict, I’m actually less concerned about running up against a monster, since the power dynamic in that would probably lead them to be cautious or be ok with running. In my head I have them going up against cultists,l or other supporters of whatever Big Bad they’re dealing with and I don’t want to accidentally merk them by making things too hard by accident. I was thinking there might be some rule of thumb for mook-style NPCs to deal with since I last ran CoD (before second ed dropped), but if not I’m sure we’ll wing it.

Use the rules for Down and Dirty for the random squishy NPCs. It’s over quickly and they drop like flies. There’s rules in the blue book for it somewhere I think, but it’s definitely in Awakening 2e. Then when they run into a bigger bad guy, they’ll know right away after the first round when it doesn’t fall down.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

https://forums.demiplane.com/t/world-of-darkness-vampire-nexus-update/670

WoD Nexus update.

Edit: Way more underwhelming than what I was hoping for. We'll see if it's any good/people actually use it.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

So I need some help.

I've got the next three sessions of my V5 game roughly outlined, with a sort of "Bottle episode" session to take place after the next session we play (Chapter 6) and before the big "Oh gently caress the Sabbat are here" session (chapter 8).

The problem is, the bottle episode session is supposed to be the PC and her intern/love interest NPC going on their first date, and I'm having the player come up with the plan for the date and I'll write my notes from that.

I'm trying to decide if this should be a straight forward "Normal" night for her, a quiet evening with her new love interest that just advances that bit of plot, or if I should try to work some kindred horseshit shenanigans into things. Her NPC love interest has no idea the PC is a vampire, nor is she even aware that vampires exist.

On the one hand, just letting the focus be on the relationship building aspect of the session with the NPC would be good, as this character has had very little time actually appearing in game other than her introduction as a one off NPC the first session and then her becoming a part of the story by session 3 because the player had expressed and interest in them.

On the other, it could be fun to throw a small combat encounter at her and her squishy mortal NPC pal to force her into revealing the truth. She's already murdered two hunters protecting her Malkavian friend, I'm certain she'd do the same if I tossed a mugger or even a low level shovelhead at her. Having the love interest know what's up and still be cool with it might be an interesting angle as well, and would give me an excuse to get her more integrated into the story.