Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FirstAidKite posted:

Do you mean Dear Esther?

I do, you’re right. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

abigserve posted:

The Closing Shift is a bizarrely compelling short horror game and I'd recommend it.

I watched a John Wolfe playthrough, and that was fine.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lurker2006 posted:

Can indie devs collectively agree to retire the damaged vhs aesthetic?

i like it because it reminds me of vhs

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FirstAidKite posted:

The worst is when there is no reason for it to be there, not even the slightest reason given for why your character is walking around looking through a camcorder.

Is there a reason why the looks needs to exist, though? It can just be an aesthetic, in the same way that black and white games aren't filmed on monochromatic film.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is there a reason why the looks needs to exist, though? It can just be an aesthetic, in the same way that black and white games aren't filmed on monochromatic film.

Its an aesthetic that "needs to exist" a whole hell of a lot more than the aesthetic that's going on in your avatar

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

People should make things with good art and who gives a poo poo if a VHS filter is part of that. It's one of the best ways of evoking a certain vibe, and people continue to do good things with it.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The post was oddly (or just poorly) worded but I'm pretty sure it was misread - the question was "why does an aesthetic need justification?"

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Hakkesshu posted:

Instead of Martha is Dead more people should check out Who's Lila? That game is creepy AF

this game is incredible, thanks for the recommendation

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Black & White has a lot of history as being an aesthetic used for a variety of things for the player's sake, informing the player so they can interpret it to be that you're playing as something not human or that you're playing something in the past or experiencing a flashback or some other kind of thing.

VHS effects are also used a lot but often in ways that don't match up with what they are visual shorthand for. VHS effects are generally a kind of shorthand that can mean, but is not limited to, "the player is playing something schlocky and old" like a very overused uncared for movie tape, or "what the player is looking at is footage from a camera," and things like that. It's fine when it's used for those reasons, I'm just not a fan of when a game does stuff like having the player HUD has camcorder elements to it when the character isn't even holding a camera.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
It kind of reminds of when devs use atari era pixelation when they're trying to invoke nostalgia for something as late as a 90s sierra point and click, at least in that case there's probably a practical justification for it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Its an aesthetic that "needs to exist" a whole hell of a lot more than the aesthetic that's going on in your avatar

please explain this + your username reflecting an infamous child predator

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Bogart posted:

please explain this + your username reflecting an infamous child predator

The answer to both is "cspam," and there's probably not much more explanation that warrants the time it would take

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
VHS also functions for development or design purposes as well, in a manner similar to the fog in silent hill- it obscures technical limitations and just limits player information, which can add uncertainty. This last aspect in particular can be very powerful in horror.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
honestly I havent played a horror game in years. I don't know if the walking simulator genre is dead yet.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Genres never die, they ebb and flow

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Discendo Vox posted:

VHS also functions for development or design purposes as well, in a manner similar to the fog in silent hill- it obscures technical limitations and just limits player information, which can add uncertainty. This last aspect in particular can be very powerful in horror.

Yeah a lot of it is this. I like Closing Shift (including the thematic meaning of the ending) but if it didn't have the filter it would look like hot garbage because the textures are super low res. It's okay though because it just looks like the VHS filter is doing it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I am unabashedly the target audience for any kind of VHS filter, analog horror nonsense. I'm just a sucker for anything lo-fi, and I'll take lovely looking horror with visual filters over something polished and semi-realistic like Visage any day. Hell, The Last Door is about as lo-fi as you can possibly get and still have visuals, and there are some genuinely creepy moments in that, imo. I get how people can get burnt out on a particular look, though, so I understand why the VHS filter could turn people off at this point. Like any other interesting idea in horror games, it was bound to be driven into the ground.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I like "lovely" looking (PS1ish) games it works especially well for horror but sometimes the VHS filter is goofy.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

The answer to both is "cspam," and there's probably not much more explanation that warrants the time it would take

you could try "At the January 6th incident in Washington DC, a man got his balls tazered and had a heart attack"

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Regarde Aduck posted:

you could try "At the January 6th incident in Washington DC, a man got his balls tazered and had a heart attack"

his balls caught fire and exploded

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

tired: VHS filter from every Puppet Combo game ever
wired: "early digital on dumb clip show" filter from Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days

whaley posted:

his balls caught fire and exploded

experts say they may have been red barrels

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There's a thing I see in several games trying to ape the ps1 aesthetic where they just make the textures warp as much as possible when you get near them. Did any ps1 games even have texture warping that bad? I swear it wasn't that bad but it gets so overexaggerated it just makes the effect look worse most times I've seen it. Like, not every ps1 game had textures that turned just stretched wide into infinity when you looked at them wrong, right??

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FirstAidKite posted:

There's a thing I see in several games trying to ape the ps1 aesthetic where they just make the textures warp as much as possible when you get near them. Did any ps1 games even have texture warping that bad? I swear it wasn't that bad but it gets so overexaggerated it just makes the effect look worse most times I've seen it. Like, not every ps1 game had textures that turned just stretched wide into infinity when you looked at them wrong, right??

Maybe not as bad as you are thinking, but I rember certain games having floating point calculations such that even if you weren't moving, textures around you would shudder and twitch constantly

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Texture warp is just distracting unless it's selectively applied and manipulated to achieve very deliberate effects.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I like how it's done in this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2mUEaRyktg

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Heilwald Loophole is a fun game, it’s basically Wario Land 3 as an indie horror I highly recommend it.

FirstAidKite posted:

The PlayStation architecture actually subdivided the geometry dynamically the closer it is to the camera which is why texture warping isn’t as common as our memories make it out to be. It’s really noticeable in third person over-the-shoulder games like Tenchu.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Skyscraper posted:

tired: VHS filter from every Puppet Combo game ever
wired: "early digital on dumb clip show" filter from Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days

experts say they may have been red barrels

The buffering loading screens and general glitchy artifacted aesthetic was the best part of that game

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Improbable Lobster posted:

The buffering loading screens and general glitchy artifacted aesthetic was the best part of that game

each loading screen had a GSM buzz

looking at a bright light would make a column of light on the screen and i'm such a nerd it reminded me of when people would post video clips from their cameras in GBS back in the day

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
I played through the closing shift today and liked it though I wish it was longer and had more actual ghosts and creepy haunting stuff

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

al-azad posted:

Heilwald Loophole is a fun game, it’s basically Wario Land 3 as an indie horror I highly recommend it.

It's a riot.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I'm hoping the Medium is a bad game, because it keeps crashing every five minutes and I think I'm done. I have a pretty beefy PC, too.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm hoping the Medium is a bad game, because it keeps crashing every five minutes and I think I'm done. I have a pretty beefy PC, too.

hahahahaha oh buddy is it

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Yeah, I had heard things. Guess I'll go with Tormented Souls

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Professor Wayne posted:

A true hero of a game, giving its all to save you from itself :patriot:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

They should put that on the box.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Professor Wayne posted:

I think only one guy in this thread likes it and they liken everyone else who does not care for it as screaming harpies

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Tbh I liked the first third of the game, and then you hit uh *gestures* and the plot goes very downhill. Also starts doing too long walking sequences

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Professor Wayne posted:

Yeah, its split screen stuff with the spirit world is what kills the performance, so even really beefy computers have problems. Also, the story has a character turn into a pedo because of the Holocaust.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I did some googling, and it turns out Blooper released a patch last year that destroyed performance on high-end PCs. I guess I ended up dodging a bullet. I played Tormented Souls for a few hours last night. It's not perfect, but it's doing a really good job of scratching that old-style RE itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What a terrible patch