Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

nomad2020 posted:

debated this the other day, and the answer that came up was vans. need to move some poo poo? van. Need to move poo poo by 4x4? van. need to haul 12 of your closest friends? van.

Need to live down by the river a while? Van

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

ikanreed posted:

I have this great idea for a vehicle. It's like a car, but on rails and you can connect them together. And they go really fast. And run on electricity. And someone else drives them, and there's space for lots of people to sit. And there's WiFi.
Real trains are the best but I can't get over the fact that we had electric trolleys loving everywhere 100 years ago and got rid of them and now it's like "oh we're struggling to get better batteries so we can use electricity to move people around, please save us Elon Musk"

And it's not ideal but we could STILL could just go back and start installing trolleys again right now but no let's wait for electric cars while the planet heats up and the ocean levels rise

There's no rational reason, it's just like "no trolleys are old and if we did that again we would have to admit we were wrong for the last 100 years and we can't do that so we need new shiny electric transportation so we can pretend that history is a sequence of linear advancements"

mystes has issued a correction as of 03:40 on May 1, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The other huge advantage of trolley's is that they don't have to carry around their fuel supply, which is significant efficiency improvement and way better then the loving buses that replaced them. And of course that was a policy decision by municipalities and states to subsidize roads, but not the rails :/

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Horace posted:

more like the stroad of broken urban planning

:sax:

A Russian troll farm posted:

First you must kill the automobile in your head

if you meet the automobile on the road, kill him

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao my only hope for car safety at this point is threatening vigilante group scaring violent drivers to keep in line

hell, a threatening vigilante group that goes "boo!" to anyone entering a car dealership would be effective enough

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The other huge advantage of trolley's is that they don't have to carry around their fuel supply, which is significant efficiency improvement and way better then the loving buses that replaced them. And of course that was a policy decision by municipalities and states to subsidize roads, but not the rails :/

we LIKE the tyranny of the rocket equation

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Frankly, cars are just no good

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

nomad2020 posted:

My favorites are the ones who dip across 4 lanes of traffic to gain 1 car length of distance.

debated this the other day, and the answer that came up was vans. need to move some poo poo? van. Need to move poo poo by 4x4? van. need to haul 12 of your closest friends? van.

yep

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

yeah, but you know what you can’t do in a van? massively underestimate the weight of water while simultaneously massively overestimating the payload of your pickup truck, resulting in a day of summer fun and later a day of expense with your mechanic.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ikanreed posted:

I have this great idea for a vehicle. It's like a car, but on rails and you can connect them together. And they go really fast. And run on electricity. And someone else drives them, and there's space for lots of people to sit. And there's WiFi.

All I'm hearing is wouldn't it be great if cars had wi fi so you have something to do while you drive

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
remember that hot second where obama was considering putting cellphone scramblers in cars... good times

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

mystes posted:

Real trains are the best but I can't get over the fact that we had electric trolleys loving everywhere 100 years ago and got rid of them and now it's like "oh we're struggling to get better batteries so we can use electricity to move people around, please save us Elon Musk"

And it's not ideal but we could STILL could just go back and start installing trolleys again right now but no let's wait for electric cars while the planet heats up and the ocean levels rise

There's no rational reason, it's just like "no trolleys are old and if we did that again we would have to admit we were wrong for the last 100 years and we can't do that so we need new shiny electric transportation so we can pretend that history is a sequence of linear advancements"

The trolleys and interurbans were largely privately owned and went bankrupt after the property developers cut off their subsidies after the development of what are today the inner suburbs.

Re-laying the tracks would not solve that problem. There needs to be some sort of permanent, dedicated land value capture tax to keep that poo poo running. And we really hosed it up by not doing that right from the start.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

Pittsburgh had a fleet of 670 electric trolleys in the early sixties and we threw them away. Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R80XZBAsK7w

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

remember that hot second where obama was considering putting cellphone scramblers in cars... good times

Another missed opportunity. Thanks obama!

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I live directly across the street from a somewhat large high school. My building's parking lot/garage abuts the busy four lane stroad that separates the school from me. I was getting stuff out of my trunk this week and heard a loud, old pick up truck (not uncommon) and saw an old S-10 flying down the street at 50+ mph with six high school duders sitting in the bed of this small truck. A few waved at me lol. There's also a crosswalk there that I use to gain access to the city's trail network and the cars will absolutely not stop for you unless it is during the start or end of a school day. The small horseshoe drive that serves the high school is filled with double-parked parents waiting to pick up their children. After that occurs, the remainder of the parents park in the right lane of the nearest side of the stroad to the school. There are no shoulders or curbs. Other traffic still flies by these parked cars. lol!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Not strictly car related but in terms of suburbs making people stupid, my neighbors have decided their other neighbors are somehow stealing their cellphone service because they stopped getting good reception.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Everyone knows that there is a fixed, relatively small quantity of phone signal floating around in any given area. We all have to share it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I've been thinking a lot about how dumb most American suburban neighborhoods are, because everyone needs tons of space so that they can have a swing set or tree house or whatever for their kids in their fenced off yard, and if you just took literally just the actual space people are using for that equipment from each house you could probably build a decent size park on each street that kids could walk to and it would probably be a billion times better for kids' development and socialization.

One of the reasons that everyone thinks they need such a big house is because each individual family has to spend money to recreate all this stuff for their own purposes in their own yard.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

mystes posted:

I've been thinking a lot about how dumb most American suburban neighborhoods are, because everyone needs tons of space so that they can have a swing set or tree house or whatever for their kids in their fenced off yard, and if you just took literally just the actual space people are using for that equipment from each house you could probably build a decent size park on each street that kids could walk to and it would probably be a billion times better for kids' development and socialization.

One of the reasons that everyone thinks they need such a big house is because each individual family has to spend money to recreate all this stuff for their own purposes in their own yard.

Same deal for lawnmowers, weed eaters, etc... All to maintain a lovely grass monoculture.

Apr 7, 2003

Thinking about fishmech arguing that the minimum lot size in any city should be set at a quarter acre

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

mystes posted:

You could build a massive German-style adventure playground. I don't know if that's a thing, I just remember going to a massive one in Germany once as a kid. I can still smell the wood chips...

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

withak posted:

Everyone knows that there is a fixed, relatively small quantity of phone signal floating around in any given area. We all have to share it.

It's not precisely wrong, per se

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

mystes posted:

Surprise, it seems like it was a lie and you can't actually walk to walmart from there because the sidewalk disappears and then there's a completely insane intersection: https://goo.gl/maps/1H9jaHHmYt2cpJ986

The sign is gone in the latest street view imagery but it's there if you look at November 2016.

that's like every sidewalk around here. it's utterly incomprehensible to me that they should even exist at all, because they just stop for huge gaps before another short stretch of sidewalk. why?

one around here stops at some assholes house where apparently he's decided the RoW from the road the road doesn't apply to him and he has this bigass "NO TRESPASSING" sign with a shotgun under it right at the end of the sidewalk - that clearly continues 30' away on the other side of his property. WHY.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

roads with no sidewalks whatsoever are hilarious. gently caress You.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

In the future leftists want leisure activities would be paramount and "labor" would consist of like 1 day a week. During the other 6 days there would be machine enthusiasts competing with the various shops to create the "best" vehicles on land/sea/air and maybe space with various restriction imposed by the various leagues.

Redesigning public infrastructure is a social solution to a social problem, i.e. if the road needs to exist then it should be designed to be safe for the society we live in and the type of traffic we have decided to allow to travel on it and it should be the best road that is possible to make.
Keeping the road but just putting speed bumps, i.e. making it worse as it's function, would be a technical "solution" to the problem imposed on society by the roads existence and it's encouraged use. You absolutely see liberals push that as a solution to traffic "going too fast" through their neighborhoods.

In conclusion technical solutions to social problems, aren't solutions at all, so stop suggesting them, they are cringe.

yeah, we get it, you love your car and the only problem is that lesser people ALSO have cars and get in your way.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

roads with no sidewalks whatsoever are hilarious. gently caress You.
lol that was the opposite of what i'm saying. i literally don't understand the thought process behind 'let's make some stub sidewalks here and there'. no car infrastructure engineers think it makes sense to make some unconnected stretches of roads dotted randomly about, but apparently that seems perfectly sane to do with sidewalks

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mystes posted:

halloween costume - suburban home owner

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Do tires also contain petroleum derivatives? I couldn't remember. I know asphalt's one

Harik posted:

one around here stops at some assholes house where apparently he's decided the RoW from the road the road doesn't apply to him and he has this bigass "NO TRESPASSING" sign with a shotgun under it right at the end of the sidewalk - that clearly continues 30' away on the other side of his property. WHY.

Is he white?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Harik posted:

lol that was the opposite of what i'm saying. i literally don't understand the thought process behind 'let's make some stub sidewalks here and there'. no car infrastructure engineers think it makes sense to make some unconnected stretches of roads dotted randomly about, but apparently that seems perfectly sane to do with sidewalks

what? I wasn't responding to you

Apr 7, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Do tires also contain petroleum derivatives? I couldn't remember. I know asphalt's one

modern tires are mostly plastics

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

modern tires are mostly plastics

can't wait to find out exactly what they're doing to our lungs in a few decades

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Having already learned the answer in the biosphere thread, lmao

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

they're a primary source of microplastic dust and they're killing fish so

maybe we don't have to wait

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

actionjackson posted:

halloween costume - suburban home owner

i wouldn't gently caress with a dadzuros, especially a red helm dad arzuros

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Thinking about fishmech arguing that the minimum lot size in any city should be set at a quarter acre

This but also zoned for multi family with a requirement for some green space between buildings. Plz include underground parking and convenient access to local and by extension regional transit.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Mayor Dave posted:

they're a primary source of microplastic dust and they're killing fish so

maybe we don't have to wait

i mean i want to know exactly what happens with human lungs from people walking or biking next to some lovely SUV. don't care about fish, those slimy riparian fucks deserve it. what cool-rear end cancers are we all gonna get from decades of exposure

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i mean i want to know exactly what happens with human lungs from people walking or biking next to some lovely SUV. don't care about fish, those slimy riparian fucks deserve it. what cool-rear end cancers are we all gonna get from decades of exposure
lung cancers were artificially high for awhile due to people either inhaling coal dust or chain smoking cigarettes from teh age of 5 years old and have fallen a lot so it's hard to say because we don't have a good baseline.

however, rear end cancer rates are absolutely exploding for people under age of 50 and it's increasingly being called the millennial disease. they've dropped colonscopy age a lot and will probably hit 35 for screenings sooner. like its insane how much they're rapidly rising for young people

https://www.bcbs.com/the-health-of-america/reports/rise-chronic-conditions-putting-more-americans-risk-colorectal-cancer
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colorectal-cancer-rates-rising-in-gen-x-millennials/

quote:

Compared to people born around 1950, those born in 1990 have double the risk of colon cancer and quadruple the risk of rectal cancer, according to findings published in Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

this is getting cross contaminated with climate thread but nano/microplastics seem to be a very plausible reason. they get into cells easily and haver been shown to cause immune response and inflammation = cell death = cancer nucleation point, ontop of the whole hormonal disruption thing. and they're also from tires which is a big source of how much they spread all over.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:57 on May 2, 2022

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Xaris posted:

this is getting cross contaminated with climate thread but nano/microplastics seem to be a very plausible reason. they get into cells easily and haver been shown to cause immune response and inflammation = cell death = cancer nucleation point, ontop of the whole hormonal disruption thing. and they're also from tires which is a big source of how much they spread all over.

ah. wonderful

time for the butlerian jihad, but against cars. also the guy who just loooves to drive his car around for fun on the weekends as a treat or whatever doesn't get a pass

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Horace posted:

yeah, but you know what you can’t do in a van? massively underestimate the weight of water while simultaneously massively overestimating the payload of your pickup truck, resulting in a day of summer fun and later a day of expense with your mechanic.

That thing's in Iraqistan somewhere, maintenance was never an option.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Cup Runneth Over posted:

what? I wasn't responding to you

oh lol that just worked out perfectly as a reply to me then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009