Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sway Grunt posted:

I somehow still have a folder full of screenshots of my first playthroughs from 18 years ago. I guess it's just been getting copied from one backup drive to the next throughout the years.

Looking through it is kind of nostalgic, here is my very first Morrowind character, taken December 15th, 2004:

And she ended up looking like this, January 21st, 2005:

Medium armor... :hai:

Neat. Most of my stuff from that period is sitting on dead drives. I regret not taking better care to preserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Dang. All my old screenshots and home-made mods have been lost to time (except for my museum house linked in the OP). :(

I remember playing this at two different friends houses back in middle school. First time I got wrecked by the mating kagouti near Lake Amaya while doing the early mages guild quests. Second was a sleepover that turned into an all nighter of me trying to get past Snowy Granius. I then got the game myself and discovered how to make cheat mods with the Construction Set. Those things weren't so difficult after that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rinkles posted:

Morrowind has a very similar leveling system to Oblivion, correct? Did Oblivion's leveling system get shat on because Oblivion's enemy scaling makes suboptimal leveling a real issue?

Do most people mod the leveling system in MW?

Yeah, it's the scaling that really hosed it up. Even if you're super sub-optimal in how you level up in Morrowind the much more limited scaling makes it much harder to dig yourself into a hole.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Rinkles posted:

hard to say what the actual rate is but i definitely consider mods which somehow "fix" leveling to be a requirement even of a "vanilla" playthrough

e: the classic was one Galsiahs Character Development, lately i use Natural Character Growth And Decay. i like eliminating stat choices on level up, although im sad they get rid of level-up messages

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 1, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I use that goon mod for leveling.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Doc Hawkins posted:

im sad they get rid of level-up messages

Yeah those are charming. I forgot Oblivion had them too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I haven't played morrowind in a while, but either one of the level up mods I used, or a separate mod added them back in, I think the first time you rested after a level up. And then there was another that extended the level-up messages since they only wrote them for the first 20 levels and if you're being completionist it's very easy to get well above level 20 before beating the game, especially with the expansions.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Rinkles posted:

Morrowind has a very similar leveling system to Oblivion, correct? Did Oblivion's leveling system get shat on because Oblivion's enemy scaling makes suboptimal leveling a real issue?

As mentioned, not sure about rates, but there are a lot of well-regarded mods reworking Morrowind's leveling system. I think I used MULE my last time. I'm fond of the unmodded just for a sort of nostalgia and because I don't really care deeply about the system being "good", just ... what I'm looking for and understand (nostalgia, as I said).

The thing about level scaling that I always remind people of is that Morrowind had level scaling, it just was clunky and topped out around level 20 before the expansions were released. Oblivion's flaw was in making the scaling system actually work smoothly and universally.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Twenty years, huh... when are we getting Morrowind 2?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/1520780090413568008

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I don't have the energy to make a silt strider "silence, brand" but gently caress that's a lazy engagement attempt.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Idk I think it owns

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Eat Arby's

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What does Moon-and-Star have to do with the tribunal...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ask an European I have no conception of what an "Arby" even is and I hope whoever is responsible never finds any form of happiness in their short and meaningless life

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Ask an European I have no conception of what an "Arby" even is and I hope whoever is responsible never finds any form of happiness in their short and meaningless life

This would make a p good nihilist Arby's tweet

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Jay Rust posted:

What does Moon-and-Star have to do with the tribunal...

And why do you gather them?

Like the only time they get together in Morrowind is to loving murder each other.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ikanreed posted:

I don't have the energy to make a silt strider "silence, brand" but gently caress that's a lazy engagement attempt.

Silence, Eltonbrand

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

ikanreed posted:

And why do you gather them?

Like the only time they get together in Morrowind is to loving murder each other.

Reach heaven through violence

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

oh, forgot very important level scaling mods:

- tribunal rebalance
- bloodmoon rebalance
- beware the sixth house
- more deadly morrowind denizens

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

We have the meats, outlander.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
We make a special tripe just for you, same low price.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ill health beyond measure, outlander

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Come to me, through fryer and war. I welcome you

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You will suffer greatly!

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You will suffer greatly!

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

I don't recall getting in my car. Yet there I was in the Arby's drivethru, alone, naked.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You had a disturbing dream. You can only recall one part. A tall figure with a golden mask led you among the dead as through a restaurant. You heard many voices, but no lips moved. You strained to breathe, but your chest didn't move. The tall figure spoke with each figure as he passed among them, "Eat Arby's" as if they were alive, but they made no reply. You tried to cry out, but without breath, your tongue fluttered in vain.

These dreams are the black lies of the Sharmant Dagoth Arby. Dagoth Arby himself is mad. He is dead, but he dreams he lives. He hears laughter and love, but he makes nuggets and fries. He woos as a lover, but he reeks with oil and grease. Do not listen. Do not go to him. Do not eat at Arby's.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Lay down your weapon. It is not too late for some Arby's.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
The ending of the words is MEATS®️

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
3 scrolls of bowel flight

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The tarhiel sound effect, but he's in a toilet stall

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it's the scaling that really hosed it up. Even if you're super sub-optimal in how you level up in Morrowind the much more limited scaling makes it much harder to dig yourself into a hole.

i'd say it's worse than that. The way I remember oblivion you would basically have to base your character around skills you don't use and then level yourself up using junk trash skills, otherwise you were basically guaranteed to gently caress up and get rolled over by poo poo you couldn't handle. Plus items and spells being scaled absolutely sucked rear end and made really cool poo poo into really trash garbage.

Illusion mage of any kind? Your fate is sealed before you get a new robe that wasn't that green one you could get in the first dungeon out of the prison.

Although one of the really good memories I have of that game was hell slogging through a gate and having to use one of those enchantment stones to give myself constant effect lightning armor cause all my normal armor and weapons got pulverized off of my bod. That was insanely intense and felt super rewarding to pull off, maybe the one good experience in that game. At one point i had to crawl across some kinda geometry like a volcano edge or something to just get a little breathing room

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
uuuuh

lay down your weapons, it is not too late for my roast beef

poo poo i mean

what a grand and intoxicating chicken bacon swiss

come and look upon the *farts*

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i'd say it's worse than that. The way I remember oblivion you would basically have to base your character around skills you don't use and then level yourself up using junk trash skills, otherwise you were basically guaranteed to gently caress up and get rolled over by poo poo you couldn't handle. Plus items and spells being scaled absolutely sucked rear end and made really cool poo poo into really trash garbage.

Illusion mage of any kind? Your fate is sealed before you get a new robe that wasn't that green one you could get in the first dungeon out of the prison.

Although one of the really good memories I have of that game was hell slogging through a gate and having to use one of those enchantment stones to give myself constant effect lightning armor cause all my normal armor and weapons got pulverized off of my bod. That was insanely intense and felt super rewarding to pull off, maybe the one good experience in that game. At one point i had to crawl across some kinda geometry like a volcano edge or something to just get a little breathing room
Yeah. I just tried to start a new Oblivion playthrough using only conjured weapons. It's... not been great. The durations are super short (not helped by my heavy armor) and I keep leveling up and up with only x2 and the occasional x3 to stat so it's going to get very rough shortly. :cripes:

Strength goes up from blade*/blunt* when I attack.
Speed goes up from athletics just from all the walking around.
Personality goes up from mercantile just from selling loot and buying new repair hammers and armor pierces.
Endurance goes up from heavy armor* and armorer when I get hit and have to fix my armor.
Inteligence goes up from conjuring* when I get my weapon out.
Willpower goes up from restoration* because I take a lot of damage.
Agility goes up from lockpicking because I want loot and to progress past doors.

(*is a main skill)

I got Chillrend too early so it's super weak and I sold it but doing that quest later than level 1 means the goblins are more powerful and the idiot farmer sons are not so they die even faster.

Illusion mage has scaling issues in Skyrim as well (although not as Oblivion-bad), it is probably the most screwed skill there is. It seems like you NEED to grind/train it to keep up with the higher level enemies you'll run into. To a lesser extent conjuration if you do necromancy as well. No reduced effectiveness or shorter duration or anything. It's just a flat out full effect or nothing.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I forgot about item scaling.

God, do I hate item scaling. That's probably the biggest difference between Morrowind and Oblivion that stands out to me. Not a system where powerful items are gated off until they don't break the difficulty curve, no. A system where you can't get powerful items and any useful tool you find steadily becomes worthless.

It's probably not great design, certainly not intentional design, that I can just easily grab the Fists of Randagulf at level one and get 40 free attribute points. But to not hide them, to let them be right there at level one, permanently weakened because of when I found them ...

God I hate item scaling.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
One of my favorite parts of Morrowind is finding badass treasure sitting forgotten in the corner of a crypt or on a hidden ledge in some cave. It's bizarre and sad that so many open world RPG devs apparently find that to be something that must be avoided at all costs.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Gobblecoque posted:

One of my favorite parts of Morrowind is finding badass treasure sitting forgotten in the corner of a crypt or on a hidden ledge in some cave. It's bizarre and sad that so many open world RPG devs apparently find that to be something that must be avoided at all costs.

The argument (which I don't agree with) is that on your second playthrough, you'd trivialize the game by knowing where all the super powerful items are. But so what? It's a single player game.

The first time you find some really strong item is an awesome feeling, it shouldn't be removed from games! Especially rpgs!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I like going to Dagon Fel and getting jumped by a powerful but manageable wizard with a goddamned ludicrous helm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I like getting a Nord drunk and taking some levitation potions to a cave.