Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kill eachother you worthless fucks

Are they playing fuckin' Clue, or Cluedo for the losers who don't have a flag on the moon
i don't have time for this poo poo Ryukushi

So rika in the infirmiry with poison. Is rika a participant in the real crime. She's poisoning someone. Infirmary, doctors involoved, Hospital at centre of mystery??

No, Keichi don't fall into the trap do not become a detective!

Kei becomes complicit with Rena. There's accomplices in the murders

Fat man is a plainclothes
DO NOT GET INTO THE CAR WITH FATMAN

Ain't sure if Lady or Tomitake bit the bullet or if Fatman is pumping us to see what we know of their operation.
Tomitake is DEAD. Maybe, police covered up one murder, why not another?
Or perhaps blondie thought it expiedent to get rid of him because he was becoming a lad

Glad we finally interesting poo poo
Hmm suicide. If we take this real. Metaphor, he said too much, talked of the murders, bringing light to events murdered by blondie. Rena unlikely as is Mion with us too long. Perhaps Satoko or Rika

I didn't know Runaway was a Bon Jovi song

The clawing at the throat is evocative of Botns, doubt highly my boy Ryukushi is referencing it, but if he is...awww poo poo

What if he tore out his throat Ironically? ever think of that

drat, game club surrounded and beat him until he tore his own throat out, pretty hardcore punishment

Blah blah yeah Who you to say Tomitake was one of us, little homie you ain't Himizawa.

The detective keeps the AC maxed because he's devil and is very hot, perhaps

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Any chance you could spoiler your posts please? Thread is becoming a bit of a minefield for anyone who might want to read the VN in future.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Little homie, I just got to the first murder

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
That is still give or take, somewhere between a third and halfway through Onikakushi.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Are there any recommended visual novels available natively on android? My experience with the genre is fairly limited, I've played ace attorney, dangan ronpa, doki doki literature club and I guess some suda stuff that kind of counts.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Truly I do often feel like there should be a separate thread just for people who are currently playing Higurashi/Umineko and people who want to cheerlead/popcorn them through it. It comes up a LOT and leads to a LOT of posts that have to be skipped through for those of us who haven't played yet. In the years I've been reading this thread I don't think I've seen any other titles so routinely lead to dozens of unreadable posts and wild tripmines.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It'd help significantly if people posted thoughts and musing post-chapter completion rather than a stream of consciousness so that it could be better focused and summarized.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 30, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah i loved Higurashi and even I don't know where the gently caress you are or what you're responding to because those are really hard to read without context lol

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I am enjoying the stream of consciousness style personally, and I know where you are.

Maybe some sort of When they Cry diary thread would be nice? I would be willing to create one if people were interested.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've just finished off Ep3 of Umineko as of last night here (barring post-episode stuff anyway), so I'll hold off on any big talk on it just in case in folks do want a thread for When They Cry stuff. I've been following along with the Higurashi LP thread for the purposes of seeing fresh takes on it though, so I'd be down for one at least. I'll sum things up as "pretty sick, I have no loving idea what's going on" at least though!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Okay I made a When They Cry thread.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I didn't tear up at any part in Little Busters. Not even Refrain

but that Sasami route... drat, it got me

50 hours in or whatever and I'm still doing batting practice. I genuinely love this minigame. I toss on a podcast or Youtube video or whatever and just vibe to 40 pitches with my pals

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gaius Marius posted:

Holy wine? First baptism imagery and know Eucharistic
And then the Cotton is Transubstational or howver you spell it.
I've been wondering for a minute is Ryuukushi a Christian?
Like he brings up holy wine, has the Cotton transubstantiate, they talk of Rome, and then cross themselves three times
He is not, however there seems to be A Thing with all that because Siren which came out a couple months later hits some similar beats in the domain of old japanese rural village stuck in showa era with a shinto-christian sacrificial goddess local religion. I don't know if it was a specific work or event that influenced both or just a generally representative way to think of that disconnect between old rural areas set in their very local ways and the modern world but it'd be interesting to dig up more stuff about that.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Any good recs for horror/psychological thriller VNs? Preferably ones that don't take a turn for the misogynistic :( I've gotten burned by that too many times.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Which ones are you thinking of, that seems like a strangely specific issue

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Any good recs for horror/psychological thriller VNs? Preferably ones that don't take a turn for the misogynistic :( I've gotten burned by that too many times.

if you havent already, Raging Loop is pretty good and I don't remember it being particularly bad about its female characters

there's also Fata Morgana but everyone frankly should play Fata Morgana so that's hardly a specific recommendation :v:

it's not exactly a VN because there's gameplay to it (its closer to a point and click game) but Detention is also a really good one

and its been a while so I don't remember the specifics but Sound of Drop is also an "okay" horror VN, if you liked the concept of Corpse Party but wanted a different vibe this is basically that but set at an aquarium instead so a lot of the dangers are like. supernatural aquatic wildlife i guess. I think the closest it gets to being weird is like. one of the [you died] endings is an out of place jellyfish monster girl but she's not a character at all so once that danger is past its just. gone. lol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I love Raging Loop despite its flaws, but “I don’t want to play a VN that gets weird about its female characters” rules it out almost instantly.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

girl dick energy posted:

I love Raging Loop despite its flaws, but “I don’t want to play a VN that gets weird about its female characters” rules it out almost instantly.

:confused: I don't remember it being particularly misogynistic, though it has been a bit so maybe I just glossed over some of it

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It's just kinda horny but that's what you get for having a male protag

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Which ones are you thinking of, that seems like a strangely specific issue

lol if you think that's strange and not like... par for the course. The one I just tried was Death Mark, which (mild content warning) threw in some surprise graphic death rape scenes

girl dick energy posted:

Mix. posted:

:confused: I don't remember it being particularly misogynistic, though it has been a bit so maybe I just glossed over some of it

Raging Loop ruled and is one of my favorites. I vaguely recall it had some rough moments with the women earlier on, but nothing I remember being too bad.

Mix. posted:

and its been a while so I don't remember the specifics but Sound of Drop is also an "okay" horror VN, if you liked the concept of Corpse Party but wanted a different vibe this is basically that but set at an aquarium instead so a lot of the dangers are like. supernatural aquatic wildlife i guess. I think the closest it gets to being weird is like. one of the [you died] endings is an out of place jellyfish monster girl but she's not a character at all so once that danger is past its just. gone. lol

Looks like I picked that one up in some random humble bundle, so I'll give that a go next. Thanks! :toot:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

lol if you think that's strange and not like... par for the course. The one I just tried was Death Mark, which (mild content warning) threw in some surprise graphic death rape scenes

its really funny it ended up being that because death mark was IMMEDIATELY the one i thought of when I read that because I too had 'wow this is a neat VN so far wonder what's next wait wha :stonk:' experience playing it. I still finished it because, well, my partner got the collectors edition for me for our anni and I felt bad but like. wow. Definitely made me hesitant to touch the sequel even though I've heard it has.... less of that

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

To paraphrase my past self in a way that avoid spoilers, there were several things that I thought the game was just being tasteful about implying, that turned out to be twists.

Or to be more explicit: Reminder that child sexual assault is a plot point.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

:doh: poo poo, right, I had forgotten about that particular bit since it wasn't explicit. fair point, though I think at that stage it's at least signaled enough before the story goes into it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

More than anything else all VN's should have different colored text for different characters.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Man, I have no idea how anybody could possibly know how to do Saya's route in LB! without a guide. The stuff you have to do - like purposefully picking bad options so you die and repeat, or walking into the same trap room every single run until dialogue starts repeating for every single dungeon floor - is on par with Mew rumors from Pokemon RBY

Maybe it was meant to be spread via word of mouth on playgrounds or whatever, but I dunno, I'd probably assume they were trolling

Saya rules tho. It's a really fun route, even if it sorta destroys the 'rules' of the world

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Who, if anybody, has the English rights to Ever17 today, anyway?

It's a travesty it's not easily available. I remember it was already incredibly rare and out of print even back when I first read it (2007)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nyoro posted:

Who, if anybody, has the English rights to Ever17 today, anyway?

As I understand it it's almost impossible to know, since the companies in question have been bought, gone bankrupt and had their assets sold off multiple times. If the Japanese owners licensed it to someone else there'd be a 99% chance everything would be fine and a 1% chance of massive lawsuits. Unfortunately I think that's not a chance most companies would be willing to take?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I imagine that given the Phantom of Inferno anime came over just fine like 12 years ago (gently caress) that the ghost of Hirameki doesn't have them so it's just "if 5pb feels like it"?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I did a bit of quick digging, and if you're alright with :filez:ing abandonware, you could get your hands on the original Ever17 and then get the Himmel Edition patch. (The link in the post is dead, but the top-rated comment has a mirror that still works.)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/NOVECT_EN/status/1525068337671245829

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Hope it does this gimmick better than Heavy Rain did

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

This looks incredibly cool. I love the art style.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Huh, I know for many years they were working on Nar Katma, which was supposed to be "AN RPG where you are both the hero and the final boss." Did thar evolve into this, or is Novectacle just on a "both X and the enemy of X" kick right now?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

MegaZeroX posted:

Huh, I know for many years they were working on Nar Katma, which was supposed to be "AN RPG where you are both the hero and the final boss." Did thar evolve into this, or is Novectacle just on a "both X and the enemy of X" kick right now?

Holy poo poo I think I finally identified the VN I saw years ago that I have half-memories of. (All I remembered was "a VN about JRPG monsters and labyrinths with a psychedelic art style")

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

MegaZeroX posted:

Capcom did that in Breath of Fire 4 which was a very beautiful game with a great soundtrack but I'm not sure how well the story worked

Despite playing as the final boss he wasn't super developed as a character

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Here's a link to stream the Project M trailer music, "The Sheep in the Slaughterhouse". What a bop.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This is one of those things where the concept on one hand does hit a lot of things I'm interested in but on the other I can feel a bit weary about serial killer stuff... but I have a lot of good will from fata morgana

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume there'll be more going on given that you know who's doing the murders.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Playing through Rewrite+ and it’s the quickest I’ve been hooked on a Key game. Intriguing plot elements start happening very early into the game, and there’s less SOL moments. Seems more plot driven than their others.

Also the protagonist is a bit of a smart rear end and can be hilarious at times.

Edit: finished the common route. Man this is way different than other Key games. Really digging it.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

girl dick energy posted:

I did a bit of quick digging, and if you're alright with :filez:ing abandonware, you could get your hands on the original Ever17 and then get the Himmel Edition patch. (The link in the post is dead, but the top-rated comment has a mirror that still works.)

I'm sorry but I prefer chicken sandwiches