Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Been camping with my son's boyscout troop since Thursday. Anything major happen in the war over this weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cimber posted:

Been camping with my son's boyscout troop since Thursday. Anything major happen in the war over this weekend?

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1520765814781186049?t=4X5xdTj-NpPpko0CpK0lUQ&s=19

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cimber posted:

Russian generals were also camping out but you came back alive

Also your Boy Scouts could probably fight better

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

So another Russian General gets waxed eh? THis guy a big deal?

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

The med kit you took along in a fanny pack on the trip is still 10x better than the russian armys.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Russian generals were also camping out but you came back alive

:drat:

Also, the US acknowledged that we've been training Ukrainian soldiers to use various weapon systems inside the US. Purportedly also training the first team of Ukrainian Air Force pilots to fly F-16s, though that's less well sourced.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cimber posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerasimov_doctrine

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Cimber posted:

he was just put in charge of the entire ukraine war by Putin personally as a 'right the ship' effort. Actually insane if Ukraine managed to hit him with a shell within a couple of days.

+1 to the pile of 'insane if true' things from this war. Most of which have ended up true.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Latest ISW report claims Gerasimow had just left the command post.

quote:

Ukrainian forces likely conducted a rocket artillery strike on a Russian command post in Izyum on April 30 that struck after Russian Chief of Staff Valery Gerasimov had left but killed other senior Russian officers.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Starting to see an awful lot of rumblings about Russia being dead serious about invading Moldova, presumably to use it as a staging point to level Odessa to the ground and completely cut off Ukraine from the Black Sea. Not sure how they would swing that manpower wise, but I wouldn't put it past them.

https://twitter.com/ivanastradner/status/1518920744876576771

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So …. Would Ukraine give back Moldavia to Romania after they take it or only keep certain parts?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Invade Moldova from where, with what army

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't forget that Russia hasn't been contested on the Black Sea The Moskva doesn't count, it was an accident

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

They don't have enough troops to conquer Moldova, and they don't have much access to resupply or reinforce them. It would make a lot more sense for Russia to attack Odessa with the troops in Transnitria (granted, that doesn't make a lot of sense, either).

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Just barge on in, Sealion style.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
An actual sealion

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

From the air, obviously. :rolleyes:

Some of y'all never heard of DEEP BATTLE.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Naked Bear posted:

From the air, obviously. :rolleyes:

Some of y'all never heard of DEEP BATTLE.

https://youtu.be/wjCjgjk9n0o

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Herstory Begins Now posted:

he was just put in charge of the entire ukraine war by Putin personally as a 'right the ship' effort. Actually insane if Ukraine managed to hit him with a shell within a couple of days.

+1 to the pile of 'insane if true' things from this war. Most of which have ended up true.

New ISW assessment is skeptical of both claims: https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-may-1

quote:

Ukrainian forces likely conducted rocket artillery strikes against a command post of the Russian Airborne Forces (VDV) and 2nd Combined Arms Army in Izyum on April 30.[14] Advisor to the Head of the Ukrainian President’s Office Oleksiy Arestovych claimed that the strike may have killed Major General Andrei Simonov (reportedly the head of the Western Military District's electronic warfare troops), the chief of staff of the VDV, and other Russian officials.[15] A senior US defense official reported that Chief of the Russian General Staff Army General Valery Gerasimov was present at the headquarters in Izyum but had departed to Russia before the strike.[16] Gerasimov may have been conducting a battlefield circulation (BFC) to evaluate the state of the Russian offensive in the Izyum direction. Gerasimov may have been trying to establish why the Russian offensive has largely stalled out on the Izyum axis and whether it is worth continuing to invest in strengthening their offensive grouping in that area instead of switching the operational focus to the Lyman axis of advance in Donetsk, where Russian troops are having more relative success, or other areas.[17] Commanders, even senior commanders, often conduct such BFCs in important areas to gain a better concrete and specific sense of the situation and, importantly, of the morale and capability of the individuals and units operating there. It is more likely that Gerasimov was conducting such a BFC than that he had actually taken command of military operations on this axis, as unconfirmed sources had previously reported.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I give the rumor undue credit purely because rumors of Ukraine injuring named Russians have been accurate an entirely disproportionate amount of the time, but yeah it's purely rumor still as far as anyone knows

lowkey I also have no idea how much it's even in their interest to target people that high up the hierarchy, it seems to have a ton of potential to backfire compared to continuing to blow up essentially the russian military's middle management and logistics

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I give the rumor undue credit purely because rumors of Ukraine injuring named Russians have been accurate an entirely disproportionate amount of the time, but yeah it's purely rumor still as far as anyone knows

lowkey I also have no idea how much it's even in their interest to target people that high up the hierarchy, it seems to have a ton of potential to backfire compared to continuing to blow up essentially the russian military's middle management and logistics

Shooting down Yamamoto was pretty useful in WWII. Taking down the big shots is always a huge morale boost, as well as disruptive to the decision-making process.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Navies are unusually top-down in heirarchy and things were a bit different back when you were a kid, det. Ukraine is running a very Americanized military currently which post Afghanistan/Iraq/Isis settled on a strategy of blowing up anyone competent in the middle of the hierarchy, which apparently was far more tangibly impactful than decapitation efforts. Apparently figure head idiots to fill a fancy uniform are a dime a dozen but competent, motivated mid-level guys in positions that they have expertise for are basically irreplaceable. I'm curious how much that has transferred over. I suspect heavily.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

I dont remember people burning harry potter recently, but I do vaguely remember a bunch of religious weirdos burning copies of harry potter when it was first released because they thought it was teaching their kids about witchcraft. If true very funny.

Alamogordo New Mexico! My wife's uncle worked at White Sands National Park for a while and told me how weird it was to be in a town where having a military base nearby pulled local politics to the left.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

cruft posted:

Alamogordo New Mexico! My wife's uncle worked at White Sands National Park for a while and told me how weird it was to be in a town where having a military base nearby pulled local politics to the left.

Imagine having the kind of brain poison that leads you to believe that Doom, a game where you do nothing but kill demons from hell, is Satanic.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

A.o.D. posted:

Imagine having the kind of brain poison that leads you to believe that Doom, a game where you do nothing but kill demons from hell, is Satanic.

It's not even that they believe it, because that assumes they put any thought into it. They just feel like it's satanic, and that's enough. I remember my aunt flipping out about Diablo at Walmart and telling her that it wasn't about joining satanic legions and partaking in rape and torture, it was actually about fighting AGAINST those things - and even recruiting friends to fight evil with!

but nah its wrong to have ugly red man with horns on poster, this is clearly turning children to pagan orgies, and furthermore,

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Flikken posted:

Don't forget that Russia hasn't been contested on the Black Sea The Moskva doesn't count, it was an accident

Russia can’t maintain supply across a border contiguous with them for hundreds of miles that has extensive modern road networks.

That they are going to mount an offensive that requires constant resupply from the sea isn’t credible. Well, that they are going to do it for very long anyway. I suppose they could start it and then completely fail.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Deteriorata posted:

Shooting down Yamamoto was pretty useful in WWII. Taking down the big shots is always a huge morale boost, as well as disruptive to the decision-making process.

Also the Allies offing Reinhard Heydrich in 1942 was a major boon at the very least so he couldn’t escape at the end of the war.

It wasn’t a Union effort but Stonewall Jackson’s death was a huge blow for Lee, dunno if it was decisive but him not being around at Gettysburg was definitely a good thing.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Also the Allies offing Reinhard Heydrich in 1942 was a major boon at the very least so he couldn’t escape at the end of the war.

It wasn’t a Union effort but Stonewall Jackson’s death was a huge blow for Lee, dunno if it was decisive but him not being around at Gettysburg was definitely a good thing.

Jackson would have been able to tell Lee that Pickett's charge was a bad idea, just like Longstreet did.

But Jackson would have made Lee actually listen.

Fun fact, I was at Gettysburg this past weekend with my son's boyscout troop. We did the hike around the field (10 miles), and the ending of the march was us crossing from the Confederate to the Union side the same route as the charge. Gave me some chills thinking about it when I was doing that.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cimber posted:

Jackson would have been able to tell Lee that Pickett's charge was a bad idea, just like Longstreet did.

But Jackson would have made Lee actually listen.

Fun fact, I was at Gettysburg this past weekend with my son's boyscout troop. We did the hike around the field (10 miles), and the ending of the march was us crossing from the Confederate to the Union side the same route as the charge. Gave me some chills thinking about it when I was doing that.

Whoa that’s cool, sounds like a good experience.

While it’s firmly in the category of speculation I’ve seen it wondered if Jackson’s presence would have mattered more on day one of Gettysburg when the confederates had numbers and if they’d been more aggressive could have meant the US would have been in worse positions on the following days.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm still gutted Goonysburg never happened.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

If I was Gerasimov I would be pissed. Take a flight down to the war zone. Do a pep talk for the lads that the President told you to do and as soon as you leave they all get blown up. He is gonna have to do it again. Don't the Ukrainians have any manners?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Cimber posted:

What do you get out of having your son take part in a pseudo-fascist organization? I ask this as a person who's attained Eagle Scout but has a hard time seeing anyone signing their kids up these days

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Suicide Watch posted:

What do you get out of having your son take part in a pseudo-fascist organization? I ask this as a person who's attained Eagle Scout but has a hard time seeing anyone signing their kids up these days

The gently caress? What kind of hosed up unit were you in as a kid?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I got me Eagle Scout at 17, and scouts (and philmont) were some of the most formative years of my life. What makes you say they’re a fascist organization, now? They’ve made several quite progressive changes over the years.. arguably anti-fascist changes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
cant wear a brown shirt without being a fascist, cuz that's the defining feature of fascism

or something? hell if i know

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Suicide Watch posted:

Dude

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

I got me Eagle Scout at 17, and scouts (and philmont) were some of the most formative years of my life. What makes you say they’re a fascist organization, now? They’ve made several quite progressive changes over the years.. arguably anti-fascist changes.

Mine too, and sure there's a lot of local discretion in which policies to implement. The past decade showed the national organization swinging hard right before the mormon units left in a schism. Fwiw, did you recall there being any atheists in your troop?

There's evidence to show that Baden Powell was promoting a militaristic society, that he hated the gays, and looked admiringly toward fascist rulers of the 30s https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/01/christopher-hitchens-on-the-mildly-fascist-founder-of-the-boy-scouts/272683/

The same outdoors self-reliance and leadership skills developed through the scouts can be obtained through other activities and organizations that don't necessarily involve celebrating some old fascist.

Oh yeah, remember this?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/us/boy-scouts-trump-apology.html

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 2, 2022

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Boy Scout troop I was in was super hosed up (multiple molestations, heaps of racism and fascism) and made me harshly distrust the entire organization when the only other troop we interacted with turned out to be the same way. I'm glad some of y'all had some decent experiences with the Boy Scouts, but it was very fertile ground for some pretty terrible poo poo and lots of awful people took full advantage of that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Suicide Watch posted:

Mine too, and sure there's a lot of local discretion in which policies to implement. The past decade showed the national organization swinging hard right before the mormon units left in a schism. Fwiw, did you recall there being any atheists in your troop?

There's evidence to show that Baden Powell was promoting a militaristic society, that he hated the gays, and looked admiringly toward fascist rulers of the 30s https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/01/christopher-hitchens-on-the-mildly-fascist-founder-of-the-boy-scouts/272683/

The same outdoors self-reliance and leadership skills developed through the scouts can be obtained through other activities and organizations that don't necessarily involve celebrating some old fascist.

Oh yeah, remember this?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/us/boy-scouts-trump-apology.html

Do you extend this level of retrospective historical consumer activism to every aspect of your life, or are you just really hung up on the boy scouts?

Like I'm sure as an enlightened individual, you'd never volunteer to serve in an organization with a history of genocide or excluding blacks or gays. Or one that still celebrates those who fought to defend slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Bayer ( Aspirin) was a subsidiary of IG Farben. I hope you stick to Tylenol for your aches and pains.