Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

orangelex44 posted:

I think it's a combination of things.

1) it's just extremely hard to match the quality of the old titans of the genre - or, perhaps, to keep up with the perception of quality they have. A lot of people have rose-colored goggles when it comes to Civ, MOO, or even Alpha Centauri.
2) making decent AI is very difficult, and seeing as your average indie studio on Steam today is literally one or two people in an apartment there's a lot simpler genres to attempt in your first major foray at development. Even if you are the type that would accept the challenge, you probably aren't able to handle the graphic demands of a 4x as opposed to, say, a management game or roguelike.
3) as opposed to the indie devs doing it for the enjoyment/experience, the biggest companies are doing it for the money... and if you're doing it for the money, you either need to be a mobile game, a subscription service, or a Skinner box. 4x games don't lend themselves to any of these very easily.
4) between 2 and 3 above, you're basically left with the mid-size legacy devs - Firaxis, Triumph, Stardock, etc. Most of them already have established franchises they're working off of, without much incentive to push the bounds of the genre. Amplitude stands out as a major exception here, and to their credit they did do some neat things with their first couple Endless games... but, after those first couple titles, they've also started getting gun-shy about steering too far away from what they've done in the past. I can't blame these guys very much though, because for the smallish studios you really can't afford to take a loss on any of your titles or else your company might stop existing at all.

So speaking as someone who was stupid enough to think that making a 4x as an indy thing was a good idea this hits the nail on the head. In our case too an issue was we started when literally nothing was out (No Stellaris, MOO2016, ES2).

Even more asset intensive things like a action game that has some voice acting is actually more manageable. Ironically we had the graphics part handled although even those assets for the "expected" number of species and monsters turned out to be more intensive than doing a straightforward action game where there's asset sets we'd construct for environments or say a space fighter game with fewer assets of similar detail in general.

On the AI discussion it definitely needs to be tailored to the systems you've constructed. When starting in Unity we made the mistake of "build all systems and then... yeah figure out AI!" and one of the big things that took a while was sitting down and mapping out how to make the AI function which was building utility scores and functions for basically every system the player can interact with so it'd make "decisions" and some personality tweaks so decisions would be more or less optimal for certain things based on personality (i.e. be aggressive, tit for tat, or friendly in diplomacy, two of which are technically suboptimal due to defectors).

Also if anyone is interested in a tester key, PM me. But you will actually need to test and play:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/...20the%20galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Atarask posted:

So speaking as someone who was stupid enough to think that making a 4x as an indy thing was a good idea this hits the nail on the head. In our case too an issue was we started when literally nothing was out (No Stellaris, MOO2016, ES2).

Even more asset intensive things like a action game that has some voice acting is actually more manageable. Ironically we had the graphics part handled although even those assets for the "expected" number of species and monsters turned out to be more intensive than doing a straightforward action game where there's asset sets we'd construct for environments or say a space fighter game with fewer assets of similar detail in general.

On the AI discussion it definitely needs to be tailored to the systems you've constructed. When starting in Unity we made the mistake of "build all systems and then... yeah figure out AI!" and one of the big things that took a while was sitting down and mapping out how to make the AI function which was building utility scores and functions for basically every system the player can interact with so it'd make "decisions" and some personality tweaks so decisions would be more or less optimal for certain things based on personality (i.e. be aggressive, tit for tat, or friendly in diplomacy, two of which are technically suboptimal due to defectors).

Also if anyone is interested in a tester key, PM me. But you will actually need to test and play:

This has been on my wishlist so long I thought it had been cancelled. Good luck with your game.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Worf posted:

Which of these games has the best star trek and or star wars mods

thatd probably be more fun than galciv anyway

homeworld

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Atarask posted:

That looks neat as heck. Wishlisted. MP planned or single player only?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Lady Radia posted:

im not after the game style you want, but i definitely sympathize with the forbidden fruit of a game that you know will never exist, and just constantly chasing the dragon. carry on

This is all of 4X.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What if I love trash though???

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

RandomBlue posted:

This has been on my wishlist so long I thought it had been cancelled. Good luck with your game.

We basically went Thanos on the project in late 2019 and redid the codebase from scratch in UE. So from a certain point of view it was 4 years of pre production and only two years of development! (not really it's been development hell all along).

We've been very quiet because every timetable has blown up. But barring major game breakers hiding in there EA and a demo with the tutorial is on the horizon.

@Splicer no multiplayer planned, from the very start. We want to let players have crazy overpowered stuff that wouldn't work if we needed to worry about multiplayer balancing.

But challenges have been- AI systems and a lot of things like tutorials and space monsters are unique enough rules (even though at face value it doesn't seem that way) wise that they make special cases that can be tricky.

Atarask fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 1, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Atarask posted:

@Splicer no multiplayer planned, from the very start. We want to let players have crazy overpowered stuff that wouldn't work if we needed to worry about multiplayer balancing.
This isn't directed at you specifically and is really a continuation of stuff I said earlier but it really sucks that everything is either single player or boring. My wife and I want to put a big mirror behind the sun and use it to obliterate our enemies together goddammit. Why isn't 4x co-op vs AI a genre :sigh:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Me and my friends just homerule that poo poo. I really like just exploring the map, engaging with systems, screwing around with warships, etc, but a game can take 12 hours or w/e. And you can frequently just start losing on turn 50 and stay losing forever, and spending 12 hours losing is enough to make anybody lose their temper.

So we just say 'gently caress it, just ignore the other person' and play as if we were on the same team. It's way more fun than trying to compete.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Agent355 posted:

Me and my friends just homerule that poo poo. I really like just exploring the map, engaging with systems, screwing around with warships, etc, but a game can take 12 hours or w/e. And you can frequently just start losing on turn 50 and stay losing forever, and spending 12 hours losing is enough to make anybody lose their temper.

So we just say 'gently caress it, just ignore the other person' and play as if we were on the same team. It's way more fun than trying to compete.
No that's what I mean. We do play regular 4Xs co-op as a team, but those 4Xs are designed around being competitive 4Xs so it's not the same experience as a game designed for player vs AI. I want the bespoke single player 4x experience, but co-op.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Splicer posted:

No that's what I mean. We do play regular 4Xs co-op as a team, but those 4Xs are designed around being competitive 4Xs so it's not the same experience as a game designed for player vs AI. I want the bespoke single player 4x experience, but co-op.

Crusader Kings 2 coop as dynastic allies was fun for us.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

This isn't directed at you specifically and is really a continuation of stuff I said earlier but it really sucks that everything is either single player or boring. My wife and I want to put a big mirror behind the sun and use it to obliterate our enemies together goddammit. Why isn't 4x co-op vs AI a genre :sigh:

AI War 2

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Is AI War 2 turn based or real time? Even paradox games stress me out a bit because I always feel like I am playing too slow.

The pause helps, obviously but it is what it is.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Theotus posted:

Is AI War 2 turn based or real time? Even paradox games stress me out a bit because I always feel like I am playing too slow.

I feel like turn based is really annoying in multiplayer, unless it's pbem.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Theotus posted:

real time

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Theotus posted:

Real time but you can pause, adjust the speed and also it's a fairly slow game.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Splicer posted:

really sucks that everything is either single player or boring.

I don't know that it helps for your specific use case, but Dominions is right there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I play "coop" Stellaris with a friend a lot too. It's kind of built for roleplaying over just mechanical gameplay too so there's a bunch of interesting stuff you can do there.

It's in a particularly good place right now because the last big patch has finally made AI not be complete garbage. They're actually able to expand their economy all the way to late-game now, which is impressive.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Real time but you can pause, adjust the speed and also it's a fairly slow game.

AI War 2 is even better, you can take it as slow as you want or if you like it and keep playing more experience just make each individual run go faster and faster. Once you know what you're doing you can bang out a difficult and complicated game in just a few hours. AI War has a clear cycle where you can set a few orders than max out the speed and let the game run with no major risk of needing to pause and do something every few seconds (like research, random attack, whatever). Some stuff does come up but the idea behind the game is you generally know what's coming (or are the actual instigator) and plan to deal with it so the actual event itself is fairly hands off. And the few things that really can come up unexpectedly that you need to deal with are usually on specific timers and can be turned off when you create a map.

Something I hate about a lot of modern 4x games, being good at the game means you don't take as much time to make a decision but the actual game is still a slog between interesting worthwhile gameplay. Sure old games had that but it used to be a lot easier to roll through turns than it is now (combination of weaker optimization and more complicated games).

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

PerniciousKnid posted:

I feel like turn based is really annoying in multiplayer, unless it's pbem.

MOO2 had the perfect LAN multiplayer setup. Everybody inputs their non combat stuff at the same time. Then the game processes everything once all the turns are in. The only thing you can race to do is conduct diplomacy with other species. Dominions has this going for it too, but there is way more stuff to fiddle with there.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Corbeau posted:

I don't know that it helps for your specific use case, but Dominions is right there.

I miss Dominions, however playing a couple simultaneous games in Dominions 3 where each (lategame) turn took 2 hours kinda broke my spirit.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm probably about to win my current 12 player Dominions multiplayer game, it's the final turn of a throne rush. Here's a summary of that game's final turns:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Angry Lobster posted:

I miss Dominions, however playing a couple simultaneous games in Dominions 3 where each (lategame) turn took 2 hours kinda broke my spirit.

Cataclysm and thrones help a lot with that in Dominions 5, as long as the game creator sets them properly. Still can be time consuming if you're playing a blood or freespawn nation, or if the game creator actively likes horrible endgame micromanagement hell and assigns game settings accordingly.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Atarask posted:

We basically went Thanos on the project in late 2019 and redid the codebase from scratch in UE. So from a certain point of view it was 4 years of pre production and only two years of development! (not really it's been development hell all along).

We've been very quiet because every timetable has blown up. But barring major game breakers hiding in there EA and a demo with the tutorial is on the horizon.

But challenges have been- AI systems and a lot of things like tutorials and space monsters are unique enough rules (even though at face value it doesn't seem that way) wise that they make special cases that can be tricky.

No poo poo I also thought your game was cancelled and I'm stoked you're still going, I always liked the look of it

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Atarask posted:

This might be too much under-the-hood talk, but it sounds like you're approaching strategic AI in a similar way to a thing I've been tinkering with, and I'm curious: we've gotten really good results using weighted utility scores, but the constant challenge has been keeping the search space scalable- as empires expand and potential smart objects increase, you hit a point where the reasoning logic has to at least briefly glance at hundreds of objects when it seeks a new goal.

I've been planning to solve this with influence mapping (essentially building a worldwide heatmap of which needs are likeliest to be fulfilled in which hexes), but I'd be curious to know if you tripped over a simpler, better solution while solving the same problem.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Omi no Kami posted:

This might be too much under-the-hood talk, but it sounds like you're approaching strategic AI in a similar way to a thing I've been tinkering with, and I'm curious: we've gotten really good results using weighted utility scores, but the constant challenge has been keeping the search space scalable- as empires expand and potential smart objects increase, you hit a point where the reasoning logic has to at least briefly glance at hundreds of objects when it seeks a new goal.

I've been planning to solve this with influence mapping (essentially building a worldwide heatmap of which needs are likeliest to be fulfilled in which hexes), but I'd be curious to know if you tripped over a simpler, better solution while solving the same problem.

Each star system is basically a node and has utility values for things like colonization and threat which get handled differently by AI personalities and species traits (ex the Synth don't farm but eat production so only care about minerals and not food production). One way that we helped speed things up was borrowing an idea from Hearts of Iron and creating AI "fronts" one for expansion and the other for war so it basically generates a heatmap of utilities with distances from centroids. So instead of on a huge galaxy every faction calculating multiple weights for 1024 star systems every turn it's a more reasonable number. So end game turns are more on part with say Warhammer 2 in how long they take. There's a few other weird tricks where we're using the collision system to help generate some of our lists for the AI which means offloading some stuff from the CPU into the GPU.

It also has the side effect of making it seems like the AI has definite focuses on various regions of the map at the time. The one downside is you could theoretically get an AI stalling out over turf wars in a game wanting to keep flipping one system over unless an outside context problem (a monster or YOU) changes the calculus. Then again we see in real life polities being focused like that.

It's also a case where we don't want to go too nuts on the AI because while on paper it's making decisions similar to a player would, a bad seed or neighbor with too strong a start starving off areas will mean some factions won't thrive and people will just see a non or minimally expanding AI and decide that the game's AI is bad even if utility wise it's decided turtling is optimal :)

Atarask fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 6, 2022

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Atarask posted:

Each star system is basically a node...

That's really neat, thank you for taking the time to do that writeup! :)

How do you determine where to position new fronts or offensive pushes once a current area has been resolved, do you just query adjacent (or adjacent + n) nodes for their utility? Because that's the one I always find interesting- in real life (or, well, simulated real life) there are tons of situations where lovely territory that has nothing anybody wants is the gateway to something good, but I'm betting a lot of players would interpret that sort of thing as buggy behavior unless the strategic value was immediately apparent.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Atarask posted:

Each star system is basically a node and has utility values for things like colonization and threat which get handled differently by AI personalities and species traits (ex the Synth don't farm but eat production so only care about minerals and not food production). One way that we helped speed things up was borrowing an idea from Hearts of Iron and creating AI "fronts" one for expansion and the other for war so it basically generates a heatmap of utilities with distances from centroids. So instead of on a huge galaxy every faction calculating multiple weights for 1024 star systems every turn it's a more reasonable number. So end game turns are more on part with say Warhammer 2 in how long they take. There's a few other weird tricks where we're using the collision system to help generate some of our lists for the AI which means offloading some stuff from the CPU into the GPU.

It also has the side effect of making it seems like the AI has definite focuses on various regions of the map at the time. The one downside is you could theoretically get an AI stalling out over turf wars in a game wanting to keep flipping one system over unless an outside context problem (a monster or YOU) changes the calculus. Then again we see in real life polities being focused like that.

It's also a case where we don't want to go too nuts on the AI because while on paper it's making decisions similar to a player would, a bad seed or neighbor with too strong a start starving off areas will mean some factions won't thrive and people will just see a non or minimally expanding AI and decide that the game's AI is bad even if utility wise it's decided turtling is optimal :)
Something I wish more games did was be a bit transparent about AI motivations. If I have high diplomatic relations or intel it'd be nice to see that SPACE COLORADO is in TURTLE MODE because SPACE UTAH is THREATENING.

Or just a debug mode.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

habituallyred posted:

MOO2 had the perfect LAN multiplayer setup. Everybody inputs their non combat stuff at the same time. Then the game processes everything once all the turns are in. The only thing you can race to do is conduct diplomacy with other species. Dominions has this going for it too, but there is way more stuff to fiddle with there.

MoO2 also has a hot-seat mode. Which isn't a big deal today, but whoo boy back in the day as kids we spent hours and hours on that stuff. We did have to house-rule to "play nice" with each other, since you can see what the other person is doing, and planning a surprise war really isn't in the cards.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Did any of you guys play the Terra Invicta demo?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I started the demo and did a chunk of the tutorial, and I was impressed but I'm going to try it again when I have more time to approach it. I didn't follow the development since the initial announcement, I kinda thought they were making an indie Long War + original XCOM fusion, but it's a whole..."The Expanse" style solar system 4X with 3D fleet combat and a heavy focus on espionage and such. I love what I've seen it's just very full on, almost like a whole new style of strategy game. I like how smooth the UI is, the zooming in and out between a country on Earth and the whole solar system is almost seamless.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 13, 2022

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i didn't even know there was a demo for that so thanks for posting about it .

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Lawman 0 posted:

I started to over my lunch hour but the demo doesn't let you save and it's a 4X and I'm not just gonna leave it running in the background when I'm not playing so nope.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It has ~15 gigabytes, you can't save, and it's prone to crashing.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Watched a streamer play some Terra Invicta and it looks like weaponized tedium. A million stats, research projects, factions, possible actions, provinces, agents, just a ridiculous amount of things to keep track of. All of that before even making it into space. I can't imagine what late game looks like.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Lawman 0 posted:

Yes, and I'm having a good time. That being said...

caedwalla posted:

Watched a streamer play some Terra Invicta and it looks like weaponized tedium. A million stats, research projects, factions, possible actions, provinces, agents, just a ridiculous amount of things to keep track of. All of that before even making it into space. I can't imagine what late game looks like.

... I can very much see that it's not for everyone, since...

Brendan Rodgers posted:

almost like a whole new style of strategy game.

.. this is exactly true. The game isn't really a clone of anything that's come before it, it's quite complicated, and to top it off it has that indie dev "charm" of weird UI decisions that hide important poo poo behind three menus and/or eight clicks. The flavor, though, is Alpha Centauri-levels with every random tech getting a couple paragraphs of fluff and a surprisingly great voiceover. The early game we get to play so far is actually a very tense slow burn - there's nothing quite like fighting over geopolitics for ten turns then accidentally scrolling out too far... just to realize that suddenly the aliens have a dozen bases and 10k power fleets up there so holy poo poo are we boned because while it felt nice to finally punt the Protectorate out of Israel that isn't doing a drat thing to address the real problem, and oh gently caress the Servants now own all of India and China and who the gently caress knows what they're getting up to why can't these other factions DO SOMETHING WORTHWHI- oh, hey, my Mars probe is done that's cool!

There's a lot going on once you get that game-mechanics understanding, is my point. It's glorious if you're the right type of nerd.

I haven't run into any obvious AI weirdness yet. I haven't looked at the battle skirmish mode either, which will presumably be a game mechanic that matters a lot. There's still a chance this runs into the same problem as Stellaris where after a fun early game, the midgame and endgame kinda suck to experience. But the demo was certainly worth what I paid for it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

It's pretty jank at this stage but I'm digging it.

I have not gotten anywhere near actually fighting the aliens though

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Take over western europe, unify as EU superstate.
Take over russia, unify eurasion union, purge out servants, ally EU, conquer neighbors.
Stack some +admin +persuasion on a single councillor, take over USA, ally EU and the EAU
Stack even more +admin +persuasion on a single concillor, take over China, ally EU, USA, and EAU
let the servants take either india or pakistan, encourage humanity first to take the other, and watch the fireworks
switch focus to space. get all the best spots by virtue of autopausing the game the second the relevant research comes online and calling dibs
watch the game crash before interacting with aliens in any major way

e: "but i'll be bleeding influence from controlling so many control points"
if you aren't bleeding influence from controlling too many, you're controlling too few. use some of that research you get from having so many control points to get the tech that lets you have even more control points.

my dad fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 14, 2022

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I’ve tapped out after a lot of hours in the game and my one takeaway is that this is a turn based game. It’s an extremely odd way to structure the game in that you re basically just watching the planet spin for for a minute and then doing your actions again. I don’t understand why they decided to have a real time engine and then made every action a succeed/fail when their nation model 100% looks like it was designed for assigning your agents and their skills would apply a daily bonus of some kind.

The game pacing is also incredibly bad. They’ve designed it around setting up your core holdings and then sitting on them and developing them while stealing poo poo and breaking other factions stuff while you get into space. But the lunar resource deposits are loving randomised so you end up spending your whole boost budget on upkeep if another faction got the crater with water and fuel in it. It’s insanely stupid.

It’s also impossible to build a viable space ship with stock parts. There is no viable combo that you can build. A lunar mining module costs 56 boost and a spaceship with stock parts with enough delta v to do an orbit transfer is so insanely large as to be absurd. I made a 600kg ship and just to get to Luna it needed ten tons of fuel. It can’t get back. It costs 128 boost. Before I gave up around 2026 I was generating 40 science per day and 48 boost per year. I don’t know what they were thinking with this pacing.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Guess I'll wait.