Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Found out our store manager is only doing 5 minute interviews for our (continuously) open manager positions. Excellent. Great. (This explains a lot about the people he's hired.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
At least you have interviews.

USPS doesn't interview people anymore. You just apply, wait a while, and eventually get a tentative offer if you pass the screening. I don't even know if the postal exam is even required anymore. I took it the first time I tried to get a postal job in 2018 as well as had to interview, but I just had to be able to show up for fingerprinting, pass a UA, and have a clean enough record. So far it's been the same for the call center job I'm about to start with the IRS.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

To the lone guy who was told to take all the pallets of damaged totes downstairs who, instead of doing it efficiently decided to take one pallet at a time as slow and inefficiently as possible: I salute you!

You remembered that at the end of the day, we're paid by the hour, not for productivity!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I spotted something gray leaning into our trash cans. Thought it was someone in a hoodie digging through the trash

was cat.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I don't know how or why but I think I did such a fine job with this ziggurat made of honeycrisp apples that customers were overly careful not to ruin it

by the end of the night it was still immaculate

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rainbow Knight posted:

I don't know how or why but I think I did such a fine job with this ziggurat made of honeycrisp apples that customers were overly careful not to ruin it

Bringing the produce department down from the inside, I love it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Rainbow Knight posted:

I hate to break it to you but it may just be that your customers knew honeycrisps are trash.

(that is a nice ziggurat, though)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rainbow Knight posted:

You know what grocery store I like?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Got a job offer and accepted it today! Very slightly lower salary than my current gig but it's an office job, with benefits, and not loving retail/entertainment bs. I start in about 3 weeks, very excited!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

PurpleXVI posted:

I hate to break it to you but it may just be that your customers knew honeycrisps are trash.

Your opinion on apples is bad and you should feel bad.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

PurpleXVI posted:

trash? trash?!? the audacity!

I gotta say though that my new favorite are Lucy apples. they're red on the inside and have a sort of strawberry flavor in there somewhere.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Freedom.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

:hellyeah: grats amigo

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Grats!!

We had a customer come in very close to closing tonight and start screaming that all our merchandise is fake and then our manager got into a screaming match with him and it ended with one of them threatening to fight the other and him going to call corporate about all of our "fake merchandise".

It was great. Absolutely worth getting home late.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

dovetaile posted:

Grats!!

We had a customer come in very close to closing tonight and start screaming that all our merchandise is fake and then our manager got into a screaming match with him and it ended with one of them threatening to fight the other and him going to call corporate about all of our "fake merchandise".

It was great. Absolutely worth getting home late.

I would not have been able to refrain from yelling "oh poo poo boss, they know!"

(What do you sell and how was it fake?)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Training new hires for a new shift! For some reason we now have a "Switch Shift" which basically is the last 2/3 of day shift and first 1/3 of nights and I volunteered to train them just for something different.

As always when training new hires there's all sorts of random fun. First of all had this lovely shipment be handed to me by the lady working the label printer. It came up "SIOC" or "Ship In Own Container" so they did.

Cap is loose, there's no internal seal on it, and while none came free in the pack department I highly suspect there was a bunch spilled out previously.

Then there was this that I can't really be upset with the packer about. She asked me to check her scanner so I did. I grabbed it by the handle and...the rest just sat on its magnetic mount (they're removable so you can bring the scanner to heavy items). There was no resistance, no pop, just came right off in my hand and had been working for her only minutes before:

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

I would not have been able to refrain from yelling "oh poo poo boss, they know!"

(What do you sell and how was it fake?)

I work at an off-retail store (think Ross/Marshall's/TJ Maxx) so obviously, all of our branded merchandise like Nike shoes and Coach handbags among others, is obviously not real merch even though in a lot of stuff i can see tags for the original store they were sold at (I've found Wal*Mart, Macy's, Kohl's and Target tags).

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

our impressively useless asm is convinced the way he will succeed as a store manager is by sucking up to the dm despite us going through 3 dms in the 6 months he’s been here, and all the ways the store managers have been screwed over by dms.

hope it works out for him I guess

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Person I work with made today her last day and decided to go back to McDonald's. Reason being that McDonald's is less stressful to work at than our store. This marks person number five who has quit within a week.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Bumper Stickup posted:

Person I work with made today her last day and decided to go back to McDonald's. Reason being that McDonald's is less stressful to work at than our store. This marks person number five who has quit within a week.

jfc, where do you work, Angola Prison or something

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I work at Target. I only just found this thread but god the stories I have to tell from this store. I'll explain more of the stores current situation after work but the short of it is everyone who quit cited mental health/stress as their reason for quiting.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Wonder if it has anything to do with working at a place where the monochromatic uniform color scheme is based off a color associated with anger and stress :thunk:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Alkydere posted:

There was no resistance, no pop, just came right off in my hand and had been working for her only minutes before
I broke my (acetate) glasses frames in much the same way last week. Grabbed them off my nightstand and opened them, and the left arm of it just kept opening and came right off. Modern materials r weird.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I took a management job at this Christian ran store thinking it would be more chill. Ended up being a bait and switch and I’m busier than I’ve ever been. And after the news today I don’t even feel like going in anymore.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bumper Stickup posted:

I work at Target. I only just found this thread but god the stories I have to tell from this store. I'll explain more of the stores current situation after work but the short of it is everyone who quit cited mental health/stress as their reason for quiting.

:justpost::posthaste:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well that's just delightful, we should all aspire to receive such write ups.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Alright work is done.

I'll try to break down everything into smaller pieces because putting it all in one post would break the character limit.

The front end is hosed. Front end has the highest turnover rate in the store. It can be broken down into guest services, checklanes, self checkout, and cart cleaning. With that many places it should be fine right?

Nah.

Biggest issue there is staffing. Every day they call for back up on the lanes because the lines are long. We have 12 lanes and 4 self checkout lanes but we only schedule at most 3 people at a time. Two for the lanes and one for self checkout. Sometimes we only schedule one person and they can't leave self checkout so other departments are routinely going up for backup. We never schedule more than 3 people at a time except for October through December when we get an influx of seasonal workers.

Weekends are a nightmare because of this. "Backup to the lanes. I need backup to the lanes. We have a lines stretching down to pharmacy." is all you hear on the weekends because again we have only two cashier's. The give you an idea of how long that is the store layout is like checklanes--beauty-----paper----pharmacy.

Nobody ever responds to these calls until we're threatened with having our names called over the walky manually. At which point someone in style or beauty volunteers to take the bullet while everyone else tries to push a 3000 piece truck in a 5-8 hour shift.

Speaking of hours, our electronics guy only has 5 hours for the week. Style (clothing) and beauty team members have to pull double duty covering electronics as well.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

You're being punished for that?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That seems like a reasonable PUNishment

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I mention a 3000 piece truck in my last post.

Ever since the pandemic hit our freight intake has jumped dramatically. Before covid we only got 3 trucks a week at around 1000-2000 pieces per truck between spring and winter. Soon as the holidays hit that would change to 3000 and up to try to compensate for the increase in shopping.

Now we get deliveries 6 times a week and we didn't bother increasing our truck unload team size or weekly hours to compensate. So people are struggling to push double their workload in less the time than what they used to have.

Now this could've been avoided. Management had advance notice this was happening and corporate sent them orders to implement a new method for unloading trucks and pushing them. Detailed plans actually. They were even gonna get an increase in hours to give out.

Management threw out these orders because they didn't understand them and kept the old way. So the trial period to see if there was gonna be any hiccups went by easily because we had a bunch of seasonal people to throw at the problem. Corporate was happy because they were told the new way works and for way less hour than projected! The reality is all the seasonal people left and everyone still here is stuck pushing double the work with no extra hours and everyone is exhausted.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

That would explain why my local Target’s shelves are so bare all the time now.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Mill Village posted:

That would explain why my local Target’s shelves are so bare all the time now.

This. And it only seems to be slowly getting worse.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Ughhh I am 99% sure I just got robbed for 6 days of long service leave. I took 3 weeks off, had 21 days deducted from my accruals, but only got paid for 15 of them. Was explicitly told when arranging it that I could not submit an application for only the days I was rostered, it had to be week blocks from Mon-Sun. Government website says we can do blocks as small as one day, but I wanted weeks anyway so I ignored that their insistence seemed a bit shady. Now I'm pretty sure they insist on a full week because that lets them make workers burn 2 days for no pay for every week they take off.

So now I've had to submit an inquiry through the government's wage inspectorate website to find out whether I'm right or wrong in my suspicions, and of course they want me to call them to discuss it instead of handling things via email like civilised people.

I really just want to not care about this, but those 6 days are worth nearly a grand if I'm right, which is enough to be worth fighting for. And I'm pretty sure the inspectorate wouldn't ask me to call them if everything was actually above board here.

loving retail. Just let me work hard and pay me what I'm owed for it, you absolutely wretched bastards.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

HazCat posted:

Ughhh I am 99% sure I just got robbed for 6 days of long service leave. I took 3 weeks off, had 21 days deducted from my accruals, but only got paid for 15 of them. Was explicitly told when arranging it that I could not submit an application for only the days I was rostered, it had to be week blocks from Mon-Sun. Government website says we can do blocks as small as one day, but I wanted weeks anyway so I ignored that their insistence seemed a bit shady. Now I'm pretty sure they insist on a full week because that lets them make workers burn 2 days for no pay for every week they take off.

So now I've had to submit an inquiry through the government's wage inspectorate website to find out whether I'm right or wrong in my suspicions, and of course they want me to call them to discuss it instead of handling things via email like civilised people.

I really just want to not care about this, but those 6 days are worth nearly a grand if I'm right, which is enough to be worth fighting for. And I'm pretty sure the inspectorate wouldn't ask me to call them if everything was actually above board here.

loving retail. Just let me work hard and pay me what I'm owed for it, you absolutely wretched bastards.

When we had 24 hour stores, an overnight employee realized she wasn't getting her midnight-6am extra pay. She brought it up to corporate, and after some fighting, she and everyone else who worked that shift got a good chunk of money that had been somehow "oopsed" out of their paycheck.

if they could pay us less, they would.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Cowslips Warren posted:

if they could pay us less, they would.

if they can pay us less, they do*

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
We used to have an overnight crew and get our 12 pallets worked the same night they came in at my store. They stopped that, cut hours and staff, and now it's not uncommon for the store to still be working the truck the day before the new one comes in.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A manager at work is currently talking about the damage slow service does to the brand. She means the franchisee, not the actual name on the roof everyone thinks about. Pray that I never get manager brain hard enough to believe anyone gives a poo poo about what local business tyrant runs a fast food store.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That has happened in the UK, people still go to "fast" food places though, they just complain about how long the food took all meal and remember which McDonald's managed to bring them hot fries. Basically, if you want your food any time soon you buy it from a Burger van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Our in-store music has been off for a week and it turns out that bad music is better than silence. Maybe because it allowed me to focus my hate on Wonderwall instead of, like, myself and my surroundings

Anyway nobody seems to know if this is intentional or something's just broken