Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Specifically it looks like they're Terra using Celes' palette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Reminds me of Pokemon Red and Blue. When the old man shows you how to catch a Weedle, your character's picture changes and he is temporarily renamed OLD MAN. The player's name is stored in the wild Pokemon data register, because that data gets reset every time you enter an area where wild Pokemon exist. Except, of course, the east coast of Cinnabar Island, which is why the player's name influences which Pokemon appear from the Missingno. glitch.

Ruby/Sapphire's catching tutorial only happens once, with an NPC's Zigzagoon using Tackle on a wild Ralts, and then throwing a Poke Ball. This tutorial uses the RNG, so it's possible to get an exceptionally weak Ralts that a strong critical hit will KO. The battle ends, and Wally talks about it as if he caught the Ralts instead of knocking it out.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Booourns posted:

And before they are moogles, they are blonde Terras with the name & & & & & & and Dirks in every equipment slot (you can see this by using a walk through walls cheat when you start a new game)
https://lparchive.org/Breaking-Final-Fantasy-VI/Update%2003/

What's their purpose? Or is it just uninitialized character slots?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Kyte posted:

What's their purpose? Or is it just uninitialized character slots?

Most likely it's the default sprite and palette set. Terra is sprite set 0, Celes/Edgar/Sabin are palette 0, ergo the null default is Blond Terra.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Booourns posted:

And before they are moogles, they are blonde Terras with the name & & & & & & and Dirks in every equipment slot (you can see this by using a walk through walls cheat when you start a new game)
https://lparchive.org/Breaking-Final-Fantasy-VI/Update%2003/

this is the kind of thing that would have scared the poo poo out of me if i stumbled into it as a kid :catstare:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
That let's play is so great, because it does all kinds of crazy poo poo that sounds like those bullshit rumours kids tell each other.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Chamale posted:

Reminds me of Pokemon Red and Blue. When the old man shows you how to catch a Weedle, your character's picture changes and he is temporarily renamed OLD MAN. The player's name is stored in the wild Pokemon data register, because that data gets reset every time you enter an area where wild Pokemon exist. Except, of course, the east coast of Cinnabar Island, which is why the player's name influences which Pokemon appear from the Missingno. glitch.

Specifically, this was a glitch introduced in the English localizations—a related glitch prevents encounters on certain types of grass tiles, because they're read as road (which doesn't have encounters) rather than grass (which does). In the original Japanese releases, that stretch of coast is properly marked as being water, so you get the water encounter set rather than the name placeholder or whatever the last "real" encounter set was.

There's other glitches introduced in other RBY localizations, though I can't recall the details off the top of my head. I remember some of them being absolutely wild, though.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
I know there’s the Toxic/Leech Seed combo, and how to get Mew (not under the truck!).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Antitonic posted:

I know there’s the Toxic/Leech Seed combo, and how to get Mew (not under the truck!).
I have no idea what you're talking about, he was clearly there the whole time. It's not my fault you didn't look hard enough.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they not glitches, but I like the gimmick of the youtube channel Softlock Picking, where the guy makes crazyier versions of "hahaha I trapped you in this place with one magikarp and no fly, surf, or escape rope/etc"

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

PhazonLink posted:

they not glitches, but I like the gimmick of the youtube channel Softlock Picking, where the guy makes crazyier versions of "hahaha I trapped you in this place with one magikarp and no fly, surf, or escape rope/etc"

The channel is Pikasprey (specifically Pikasprey Yellow, Pikasprey Blue is stream VODs or something), Softlock Picking is the series name. It does tend to be a treat though.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Like Clockwork posted:

Specifically, this was a glitch introduced in the English localizations—a related glitch prevents encounters on certain types of grass tiles, because they're read as road (which doesn't have encounters) rather than grass (which does). In the original Japanese releases, that stretch of coast is properly marked as being water, so you get the water encounter set rather than the name placeholder or whatever the last "real" encounter set was.

There's other glitches introduced in other RBY localizations, though I can't recall the details off the top of my head. I remember some of them being absolutely wild, though.

In Red/Blue/Yellow, they forgot to put the appropriate terminator on the Bike Shop dialogue, so that if you start a conversation without a Bike Voucher, the dialogue enters "instant text" mode where you can clear text boxes much faster than normal. For some reason, it's allowed even in glitchless speedruns.

There's a similar error in Gold/Silver, where looking at the English version of the Coin Case generates a text box that ends with a decimal point instead of a period. Under the right circumstances, this can be used to modify the RAM in arbitrary ways.

There are some bugs that appears only in the Japanese version of R/B/Y. The Old Man has a different bug, where if you watch his demonstration while having a full party and PC, it displays the message "The Pokemon box is full! You can't use that item!" It gets stuck in an infinite loop of trying and failing to use the Poke Ball.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Chamale posted:

In Red/Blue/Yellow, they forgot to put the appropriate terminator on the Bike Shop dialogue, so that if you start a conversation without a Bike Voucher, the dialogue enters "instant text" mode where you can clear text boxes much faster than normal. For some reason, it's allowed even in glitchless speedruns.

Basically because watching text boxes scroll is boring low skill poo poo

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
It is impossible to play pokemon red or blue glitchless. So you basically have to choose what glitches the community doesnt think are big deals

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Chamale posted:

Ruby/Sapphire's catching tutorial only happens once, with an NPC's Zigzagoon using Tackle on a wild Ralts, and then throwing a Poke Ball. This tutorial uses the RNG, so it's possible to get an exceptionally weak Ralts that a strong critical hit will KO. The battle ends, and Wally talks about it as if he caught the Ralts instead of knocking it out.

It’s also possible for that Ralts to be shiny. Sadly the one Wally uses against you later(which is supposed to be the same one) is not shiny

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

My understanding is that any time a pokemon is displayed for any reason, a Personality Value is generated, which means that any pokemon can be shiny if it's PV is randomly generated (some pokemon are generated with fixed PVs, or will have the PV recalcuated if it would generate a shiny, usually event pokemon). This includes, from what I've read, the starters, the pokemon that Oak shows you during the "Welcome to the world of Pokemon" speech, and pokemon in cutscenes.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

It is impossible to play pokemon red or blue glitchless. So you basically have to choose what glitches the community doesnt think are big deals

There's a YouTube video out there, I forget by who, that goes into this a bit. Pretty interesting breakdown of how and why. I'll see if I can find it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think some things people call 'glitches' are just design decisions that got changed.

Like, a critical miss always fails to hit the enemy pokemon, unless you're using Swift (which always hits). Critical misses are just a normal-rear end mechanic in a lot of games, I wouldn't call it a 'glitch'.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

cage-free egghead posted:

There's a YouTube video out there, I forget by who, that goes into this a bit. Pretty interesting breakdown of how and why. I'll see if I can find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07yzTiND30U its this one I'm assuming.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tunicate posted:

I think some things people call 'glitches' are just design decisions that got changed.

Like, a critical miss always fails to hit the enemy pokemon, unless you're using Swift (which always hits). Critical misses are just a normal-rear end mechanic in a lot of games, I wouldn't call it a 'glitch'.
IIRC in Gen 1, even Swift has a chance to miss, due to the crit miss formula.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah. It's not a glitch because it makes no sense, it's a glitch because the devs said it wasn't intentional, iirc.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

nah swift doesn't miss in red/blue

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tunicate posted:

nah swift doesn't miss in red/blue
Looks like in the Japanese versions of the game it could miss but it was fixed for the English release.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Commander Keene posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, he was clearly there the whole time. It's not my fault you didn't look hard enough.

This was the one I knew of: https://youtu.be/2QGILo0SZyI

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Gen 1 Pokémon was incredibly broken. Though some of these aren’t glitches so much as just really dumb design choices

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Yeah, this is a very good video that goes into it!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

RatHat posted:

Gen 1 Pokémon was incredibly broken. Though some of these aren’t glitches so much as just really dumb design choices

I imagine a lot of the bugs came from early development tools being very janky, making bugs harder to catch, and the Game Boy's own limitations forcing janky solutions to save processor time/ram space/rom space.
And of course good ol' "we weren't entirely sure what we were making so we changed things late into dev and then forgot to update related stuff" (like for example the very broken stat change calculations).

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Kyte posted:

I imagine a lot of the bugs came from early development tools being very janky, making bugs harder to catch, and the Game Boy's own limitations forcing janky solutions to save processor time/ram space/rom space.
And of course good ol' "we weren't entirely sure what we were making so we changed things late into dev and then forgot to update related stuff" (like for example the very broken stat change calculations).

From what I understand, R/B/Y was basically the upper limits of what you could pull off with the base Game Boy. Like to the point where they weren't 100% sure they could pull off some of the stuff they did.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There are some pretty interesting articles on pokemon dev based on remnants in the games

This set of articles tires to determine what the missing pokemon from redbluegreen were based on patterns in the index numbers

https://helixchamber.com/2018/09/11/internallist/

There are later blog posts after some betas leaked, the hit rate for their missing pokemon guesses is suprisingly good.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Some of the things in that image are exceedingly nitpicky, like "oh, you have to save every time you change boxes". Yes, because the game is switching around your save data to swap in a new box. The save is there to ensure the save data is in a consistent state while the game is busy moving things around.

Neito posted:

From what I understand, R/B/Y was basically the upper limits of what you could pull off with the base Game Boy. Like to the point where they weren't 100% sure they could pull off some of the stuff they did.

Gold/Silver were also on the GB and managed to do quite a bit more, so it's not that. It's more that RBY were huge, new projects.

A lot of the situations in that image are uncommon or just plain esoteric. But when you have millions of people playing the game, and a lot of people specifically hunting glitches and bugs...

Part of the problem is that even when they did identify bugs post-release, they couldn't really release updated revisions or patches. The games were intended to be played with others, and once you introduce new revisions and code patches, you can end up having the games desync in linked play. One of the reasons G/S/C are very particular about how you can link up with R/B/Y.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zamujasa posted:

Gold/Silver were also on the GB and managed to do quite a bit more, so it's not that. It's more that RBY were huge, new projects.

Well G/S had the added benefit of Iwata's blessed code fingers

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i was always under the impression that most of iwata's work on gen 2 was in providing better compression algos so they could cram more crap into the ROM

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Here's a fun one I just learned about in Pokemon Yellow. The game has two different animations for wild Pokemon encounters - a long animation if the Pokemon is higher than your party's level, and a short animation if it isn't. When you nickname your rival, his name is stored in your party data, since that data is empty at the time. So if you give your rival a nickname that's at least 5 characters, as far as the game is concerned your party has a high-level Pokemon in it, and it will play the short encounter animation when you encounter Pikachu for the first time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Modern code: oh lawd that memory is protected. Go straight to code jail for this illegal operation.

Pokemon assembly: yeah, the name is in the encounter pointer. So what?

The former is the right way given all the overhead on processing power and memory we have 30 years later but Pokemon is impressive in it's resilience to just complete garbage being passed around and it's beautiful.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"Oh is that supposed to be a name? Sorry i just see the number"

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Zamujasa posted:

i was always under the impression that most of iwata's work on gen 2 was in providing better compression algos so they could cram more crap into the ROM

The opposite actually. It used more space (Gen2 roms are twice as big as Gen1 roms, they had plenty of space to play with) but it was faster to decompress, making load times faster.
(The compression algo in Gen1 was pretty close to being as good as it could possibly be)
https://www.reddit.com/r/TruePokemon/comments/hwluk9/while_it_is_true_that_iwata_did_write_a_new/

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

zedprime posted:

Modern code: oh lawd that memory is protected. Go straight to code jail for this illegal operation.

Pokemon assembly: yeah, the name is in the encounter pointer. So what?

The former is the right way given all the overhead on processing power and memory we have 30 years later but Pokemon is impressive in it's resilience to just complete garbage being passed around and it's beautiful.

A lot of that "resilence" is precisely because it doesn't have robust error checking. You hand gen 1 garbage data that says the sprite is much larger than the acutal display area? sure, no problem! Here comes MISSINGNO!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, old console games are more like playing a DOS game vs. a Windows game. You're able to seize direct control over the hardware and do basically whatever you want with it...but it's on you to make sure that whatever you're doing makes sense, and generally game developers don't bother. When you have an intermediary between you and the hardware, that intermediary can say things like "hang on, you're trying to write to a read-only memory section, or you're trying to execute data as code without flagging it as executable, or you're trying to read unallocated memory, or etc etc etc, I'm gonna crash now." Which is a good thing! It just doesn't give us the same kind of glitches today that you used to be able to get on old hardware.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
You could leave a gameboy on in a hot car overnight and come back to it in the morning and everything would be glitched as all hell because the RAM was corrupted. The game would still be playable (due to the lack of error checking) and if character data was corrupted you could even save your game and keep the corruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, old console games are more like playing a DOS game vs. a Windows game. You're able to seize direct control over the hardware and do basically whatever you want with it...but it's on you to make sure that whatever you're doing makes sense, and generally game developers don't bother. When you have an intermediary between you and the hardware, that intermediary can say things like "hang on, you're trying to write to a read-only memory section, or you're trying to execute data as code without flagging it as executable, or you're trying to read unallocated memory, or etc etc etc, I'm gonna crash now." Which is a good thing! It just doesn't give us the same kind of glitches today that you used to be able to get on old hardware.
well, a bit of that and a bit of the fact that error/sanity checking does take up resources and on some really low power hardware like the game boy you're gonna want those cpu cycles and rom space

i might've posted this here before and if so i apologize, but my absolute favorite example of this "resilience" and lack of sanity checking is how you can escape the bounds of a level and start literally walking through ram in super mario land 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPzuYWbnln4